Who said, "Fear the man who has but one gun and knows how to use it?"

PDA

4v50 Gary
July 11, 2004, 01:29 PM
Honestly guys, I dunno. Help this poor illiterate out. :o

If you enjoyed reading about "Who said, "Fear the man who has but one gun and knows how to use it?"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
July 11, 2004, 02:00 PM
I have always read and heard this.
I did a search - http://www.quotationreference.com with no success.

I have heard it " Beware the man with one gun - he knows how to use it?"

I even typed in variants and wildcards -

pax !

Dave McC!

Maybe pax, and Dave can help.

Hkmp5sd
July 11, 2004, 02:36 PM
I've seen it attributed to Jeff Cooper, but in his writings, he refers to it as an adage or axiom. Maybe it's anonymous.

grislyatoms
July 11, 2004, 02:54 PM
Unless I am completely in left field, I think that quote is attributed to one of the Old West legends. Hickok, maybe?

whm1974
July 11, 2004, 03:34 PM
I heard it was an Wild West saying.

-Bill

Mal H
July 11, 2004, 04:33 PM
"... poor illiterate ..."
Yeah, right! :)

I've heard it attributed to Patton, but I doubt it's true. Might just be an 'old saying' and we'll never know who said it first.

Justin
July 11, 2004, 05:12 PM
I've never heard it attributed to anyone. The origins of the phrase may very well be unknown. Kind of like fo' shizzle. ;)

(Yes, I know it was Snoop.)

Foreign Devil
July 11, 2004, 05:31 PM
I'm pretty sure it was Elmer Keith who said that.

rbrowning
July 11, 2004, 05:40 PM
Probably written by someone who tried to put a30-06 round into his 308, or forgot to take the safety off on his 1911 after shooting his glock or tried to tried to pump the forearm of his double barrel shotgun. Hey it could have been any of us couldn't it.

Sorry I really don't know, I was just thinking of the truth of it.:D

tankertom
July 11, 2004, 05:42 PM
It may be one of the sayings of Lazarus Long from a book by Robert Heinlein. I think I remember seeing it there.

tt

BryanP
July 11, 2004, 06:02 PM
It may be one of the sayings of Lazarus Long from a book by Robert Heinlein. I think I remember seeing it there.

Nope. It's not in any of Heinlein's books. The version I specifically remember is "Beware the man with only one gun; he probably knows how to use it."

sm
July 11, 2004, 06:18 PM
"... poor illiterate ..." I don't think so... :)

Must be that "Anon" fella.

I think he changed it from one his ancestors whom said " Beware the guy that uses one sword - and knows it".

He changed it from another ancestor " Thou be aware of the guy with only one sling - he doth knowth how to sling it".

Must be "Anon" family dealie. :D

We didn't get that far in Publik Skool in Arkansaw...:p

I nominate Gary to find out and get back to us.

Mal H
July 11, 2004, 06:31 PM
Now that's funny, Steve!

In the beginning ...

"Og, fear the 'thal with one rock axe, he may know ... uh, he may know ... um, what were we grunting about?"

sm
July 11, 2004, 07:13 PM
:D
What?
Makes sense to me. :D

True Story:

After all my years in retail I then decide to attend college, like I said they ejdumacte different here.

I have a real sharp older black man for a History class at 7:00 am. He told us to NOT buy a stupid textbook, he lectures, we take notes. He starts putting the lecture outline on the chalkboard at 6:15 am. "I'd just as soon start class at 5:30 in the morning, but some of you are not through partying by that hour" :D I really liked this PhD. "Aren't you little old for this or you did just drop off your daughter and can't figure out how to get off campus" . We got along great.

"Good morning class ...we are going to start at the beginning of time...Constinaople " ( however you spell it, That place in Tukey , Istanbul....I passed the class ...I knew how for the exam) :p

"Ugloo and Ogloo...and how pot holders were invented ( the sleepy folks wake up)...Ogloo was the mighty hunter and killed a critter , made fire and cooked said critter....grabbed said critter and burn the bejeezus out of his hand...being the mighty hunter and all he sticks his other hand in the fire -burns it as well... goes and sits on rock.

Ugloo is looking at dumb mighty hunter and shaking her head...walks over to big leafy vegetation and uses leaves to grab a pc of critter and commences eating...that was the first invention - the Pot Holder - Ugloo - and History progressed from thus".

I about choked on my coffee, I was laughing so hard ...my notes were a mess...

Classmate honest to goodness asked if Ogloo was able to eat...we were informed she had to feed him...they had not figured out which plant was Aloe Vera yet. :)

Yes we had actually had to remember this fun story for an exam. He was sharp and very good. His first day was like this with all the first day stuff. He managed to keep folks interested. Many of went to hear the story again at the beginning of other semesters...we'd bring donuts and coffee to the surprise of his current class.

I may not know who said the quote in Gary's original question...Gary if you should ever need to know the first invention and how it came about....< raises hand> I know....I know this one. :D

Foreign Devil
July 11, 2004, 07:17 PM
I'm telling you guys, I'm almost positive it was Elmer Keith.

Does anyone here have any of his books? Or old magazine articles about him?

Dr.Rob
July 11, 2004, 08:34 PM
"Fear the man with one club....

for he knows NOTHING about golf."

:p

MountainPeak
July 11, 2004, 08:40 PM
Probably, a guy that couldn't afford a second!:D

sm
July 11, 2004, 08:49 PM
Dr. Rob :D
I don't know...at one time I played that game. Like Grizzard wrote " you had the ball then you knocked it away...you get the ball again what do you do then?... you knocked it away again...you folks are nuts!":D

I have played many a "1 and 9" using only a 5 iron...not even a putter. 5 iron was my best of the bunch.

XLMiguel
July 11, 2004, 09:37 PM
I don't know, but I suspect it goes along with "Don't scare a small man, he may kill you!"and "Anyone worth shooting is worth shooting twice."

Ya know, conventional wisdom:D

Mal H
July 11, 2004, 11:51 PM
Ok, I gotta tell this one even at the risk of continuing the seriously off-course thread veer. The golf references reminded me.

I was at the 1st tee at the Kemper Open tournament at Congressional around 1982. One of the pros teed off at his appointed tee time with his putter! Darn ball went a good 190 yards. He had run from the putting green with only his putter. He played the first hole entirely with the putter and only bogeyed it (a minor miracle). I later got "the rest of the story". He had misunderstood his start time and told his caddy to meet him at the first tee with his bag of clubs at what he thought was 10 minutes before the right time. I wish I could remember who it was; he wasn't a big name golfer.

dinosaur
July 12, 2004, 07:25 AM
It was probably me when I didn't have any money.:banghead:

FrankGrimeyGrimes
July 12, 2004, 10:30 AM
Re: The Gyrojet

- Although the Gyrojet never made it as a weapon, it has found success in another application - as a flare launcher. Gyrojet flare kits are currently normal equipment in military flight crew survival equipment.

sm
July 12, 2004, 12:03 PM
Who said, "Fear the man....

Gary! This is starting to bug me...:p

I do recall Elmer Keith saying something along those lines. Then I recall most everything I have read in regard to shooting , has referred to something similar. NO matter what kind of firearm, or if for hunting, competition.

Keith, Misseldine, Isleng, Brister, Cory Ford, and a host of others .

So I begin to think perhaps the quote comes from "across the pond" , someone like Major Sir Gerald Burrard. NO I ain't that smart , I only know of him because Brister spoke of him in his Book about shotguns, and his works on how shotguns do what they do.

So perhaps someone in early stages of firearms design that also hunted big critters, or competed - both. came up with it.

More things change - more they remain the same...I figure we had folks at the beginning always messing with the gun and hanging stuff off and bolting onto guns stuff in order to "hit better, improve scores".

True back then, same as today...some old guy with a old gun was probably outshooting everyone ( the designer) because he practiced a lot. All the folks always changing something and not practicing couldn't.

sturmruger
July 12, 2004, 12:09 PM
I wish I could help, but I have no clue either.

4v50 Gary
July 12, 2004, 09:41 PM
Thank you Steve for that invaluable history lesson. I'm sure the women in that class were telling all their friends.

sm
July 12, 2004, 11:26 PM
You are welcome sir. You mean to tell me with all your education you did not learn this? I'm shocked, I cannot believe AR actually did something right.
The ladies telling? Are you kidding? I had one one lady, in that whole class that knew what a Kitchen was, forget understanding what a Pot - Holder is, much less anything else. Only 4 of us were older than 22 y/o age....One had honest to goodness never seen or written on a chalkboard !!!

Serious...

I did a search on Nathan Bedford Forrest...sounds like something he'd say...He did say a lot of other neat stuff tho'.

Bob F.
July 13, 2004, 12:19 AM
Can anybody say it wasn't Jim Cicarillo (or how the hell ever you spell it!)??

Stay safe.
Bob

PS:(just thought I'd throw that in!)

sfhogman
July 13, 2004, 12:45 AM
I'm sure it was Keith, in "Sixguns".
What he said was- I'm paraphrasing- "Beware the man with one gun. He just might know where it shoots."

As soon as I can find the quote, I'll post it.

Jeff

sm
July 13, 2004, 01:02 AM
Keith, in "Sixguns", may be correct. I just have in my brain he read some history and that is where he got it.

I'm actually researching this Gary...really!

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." (Thomas Alva Edison)

"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors and miss." (Lazarus Long, Time Enough for Love)

sm
July 13, 2004, 03:15 AM
I keep finding this attributed to Skeeter Skelton.
I cannot find a documented source.

If I plug in "rifle" ( Beware the man with one rifle...)

I find some "observations" attributed to -
General William Tecumseh Sherman

That are similar in meaning - not those words...

If you enjoyed reading about "Who said, "Fear the man who has but one gun and knows how to use it?"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!