Break free vs. Fp-10

PDA

zahc
July 11, 2004, 08:50 PM
I have both, which is better and in what ways?

If you enjoyed reading about "Break free vs. Fp-10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JohnKSa
July 11, 2004, 09:10 PM
Breakfree CLP in every way except some think FP-10 smells better.

Breakfree is the only lubricant I've ever seen mentioned by name in a gun manual.

The informal tests I've seen say it's one of the best corrosion preventives on the market.

Besides being an oil, it has teflon particles in it which mean that it tends to be a better lubricant than most oils.

And, it's a pretty good powder solvent too...

I have some FP-10, but I never use it.

Doc
July 11, 2004, 09:19 PM
i recently switched from CLP to FP-10
simply on the recommendation of Pete
the rangemaster at Thunder Ranch.
He says it better, in my use, it's certainly not worse
and seems to function just as well. It seems to stick
around longer than CLP on everyday juns and stored
guns.

45R
July 11, 2004, 10:14 PM
Breakfree CLP in every way except some think FP-10 smells better.

Breakfree is the only lubricant I've ever seen mentioned by name in a gun manual.

The informal tests I've seen say it's one of the best corrosion preventives on the market.

Besides being an oil, it has teflon particles in it which mean that it tends to be a better lubricant than most oils.

And, it's a pretty good powder solvent too...

I have some FP-10, but I never use it.

So if you've never used FP10 how would you know for sure that Breakfree is a better product? :neener:

I like the FP10. Its smells good and I dont have to worry about chemical reactivity with other products. Its also non-carcinogenic.

Fatcat
July 11, 2004, 10:18 PM
I switched from Breakfree to FP-10 as well, and I like it. Plus, I get it cheaper from Brownells than I was paying for Breakfree. :D

Teflon in an oil is not a plus, IMHO.

DMK
July 11, 2004, 10:47 PM
I use both, but prefer FP-10 as a lubricant/protectant. It seems much more persistant.

The only adavantage to Breakfree is it's thinner so it's a better penetrant. Of course, Kroil is much, much better than BF for that.

mattf7184
July 11, 2004, 11:07 PM
I notices they clean about the same, but FP-10 seems to stay slick on metal parts even a month after it is applied, doesnt happen for me with breakfree.

R.H. Lee
July 11, 2004, 11:31 PM
Never used FP-10, but Breakfree gets gummy and mixes with carbon fouling producing a goo that gums up the action. I prefer Mobil 1 as it seems to keep the fouling in suspension.

JohnKSa
July 11, 2004, 11:49 PM
I have some FP-10, but I never use it. if you've never used FP10 One of these things is not like the other...

45R
July 12, 2004, 12:01 AM
LOL-
I'm lighten up John. I'm just poking fun at yah thats all.:evil:

FP10/FP-10/FP.10/FP/10 :) We all know what we are talking about here. :)

JohnKSa
July 12, 2004, 12:26 AM
Argh!

...the bold words...NOT 'FP10'...see emphasis added...

Argh...

You're killin' me man! :)

fgr39
July 12, 2004, 01:36 AM

I think Kimber recommends FP-10 in the manual, I know my Kimber came with a sample of FP-10.

sm
July 12, 2004, 01:58 AM
I refuse to use FP10.

The original Breakfree was the best. I know a few folks that still have gallons of it. It is kept quiet and used for special people and all. Packed away are probably the samples that Yoder ( inventor) sent me.

lycanthrope
July 12, 2004, 04:33 AM
FP-10 on everything. Inside and out.

mummac
July 12, 2004, 04:56 AM
I decided to try FP-10 a couple of months ago. I was using it in a side by side comparison with BF on two identical pistols. After about 500 rounds through each, I can't tell a difference in performance nor cleaning. Maybe I'm not experienced enough or maybe I just don't know what to look for, but I can't pick a favorite. I've read that BF preserves better and never had a problem with it before, so I use that on my less frequently used guns.

After thinking about it more, I guess I like the FP-10 better, but couldn't give a reason why. It could be just because you can't get it at Wal-Mart.

JohnBT
July 12, 2004, 07:42 AM
I like FP-10 a lot.

But I am going to use up the quarts of original BF I have as well as the original #9 with cancer-causing nitrobezene because they really work well, too.

The original BF and #9 are still readily available.

John...who mostly uses Butch's Bore Shine & B's Gun Oil for bore cleaning.

wingman
July 12, 2004, 08:04 AM
FP-10, picks up less dust, stays on longer, use in barrels and appears to
improve accuracy(or I'm shooting better). My ruger22/45 polymer frame
shows the most improvement in the action after 11 months of FP10, very
smooth no malfunctions. I've tried hundreds of products over the years
and I can see the most benefits from this one.

TarpleyG
July 12, 2004, 08:09 AM
I think Kimber recommends FP-10 in the manual, I know my Kimber came with a sample of FP-10.
Yep.

One issue I have with Break-Free is the teflon particles. They settle and they also clog up my needle oilers which I use exclusively to place oil on the parts that need oil. FP10 doesn't have any particles that are visible. It still requires shaking so there must be something suspended in it.

Greg

Ala Dan
July 12, 2004, 01:08 PM
Another "Break Free" CLP user checking in!

Heck, this darn stuff works so good, I see NO need to
change. So, I haven't tried anything else!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

George Hill
July 12, 2004, 05:07 PM
I like them both.
FP-10 has the edge on lubrication, where BF-CLP has the edge over it in cleaning and protection.
At least this was shown in my own informal testing.

motorep
July 12, 2004, 05:17 PM
I switched to FP10 a number of years ago, on the advice of a gunsmith who had just built me an expensive 38 Super IPSC match gun. We were shooting in a very cold weather and very hot, too. He said that FP10 holds its viscosity at a wider range of temperature extremes than Break Free. I don't think that either will let you down.

wingman
July 12, 2004, 06:01 PM
FP-10 has the edge on lubrication, where BF-CLP has the edge over it in cleaning and protection.

My feeling also. I have both in my supplies. But FP10 gives me the
(smoothness) of the action I like.

horge
July 12, 2004, 06:55 PM
I tried FP-10, and was impressed ---but the cost is just too much for this Filipino to sustain. I've never used BreakFree CLP --it's just beyond my finances.

I use either Mobil 1 or Shell Helix Ultra fully synthetic --only a faint smell, and easily doctored with some Outer's gun oil --which smells good.

Doc
July 12, 2004, 10:04 PM
But I am going to use up the quarts of original BF I have as well as the original #9 with cancer-causing nitrobezene because they really work well, too.

The original BF and #9 are still readily available.

John:

YOU ARE KILLING ME!! I would LOVE to find some original BF and #9!!
Where? do tell!

19112XS
July 12, 2004, 10:20 PM
FP-10 on all but the foulest bores, then Hoppes No.9. FP-10 makes subsequent cleanings easier and really slicks the slides and barrels.

sm
July 12, 2004, 11:32 PM
JohnBT and Doc are right smart fellows about that OLD BF and No 9 ;)

JohnBT
July 13, 2004, 07:47 AM
Here you go Doc, #9 with Nitro Benzene...

www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BSS&Category_Code=39HP

I see BF at gun shows all the time and they claim it's the old stuff. It looks like the old BF I have, but who knows. I'll look around for some online later.

John

roo_ster
July 13, 2004, 12:33 PM
Both will do OK for all but the most severe environments/applications.

I like CLP more due to the fact that I LIKE the smell, it brings back fond memories, and I have quite a few bottles laying around.

As to the particles...shake the bottle up a bit & there is no problem.

Ed's Red to clean
CLP to lube
CLP to protect

George Hill
July 13, 2004, 12:53 PM
Whould you be interested in an improved Ed's Red type that you can mix at home on the cheap that lubes and protects really well too?

Valkman
July 13, 2004, 01:11 PM
I use FP-10 for cleaning and protecting my guns - from reading alot of threads on 1911.org about this subject I believe FP-10 is far superior than older CLP's in every regard.

roo_ster
July 13, 2004, 01:52 PM
George:

Sure, I'd like to know. "Cheap b@st@rdy runs very deep in my family." (paraphrase of Khalil, The Veggie Tales Movie).

My current Ed's Red is :
1 part Dexron III
1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1
1 part Mineral Spirits, ododless
1 part Acetone

I did not include the anhydrous lanolin, due to the fact it cost more $$$ than I was willing to spend.

Bartholomew Roberts
July 13, 2004, 04:10 PM
I just did my own informal corrosion testing of Breakfree vs. FP10. I used phosphated (parkerized) wood screws and a bare aluminium plate. Both sat outdoors for the last two weeks through over five thunderstorms and days where temp varied from about 80-90F and humidity was never under 80%.

On aluminium, the CLP was marginally better at protecting against corrosion. The CLP side took about a day longer to reach the same level of corrosion as the untreated part of the panel.

On the wood screws, none of them showed any sign of rust except the untreated control sample which showed trace rust on the threads and the edge. All of the CLP and FP10 screws also seemed to attract and hold wayward fuzz and other debris as well. No significant difference there either.

For all practical purposes I think there is no serious difference in the corrosion protection abilities of each. CLP seems to have a slight edge; but you would have to seriously abuse your weapon to notice that edge.

Drjones
July 13, 2004, 06:05 PM

The manual of my Seecamp specifically mentions and recommends Eezox and says that is what they use at the factory.

That's perfect, because I use and love Eezox too! :)

To answer the original question, I think you'll be just fine with any major, well-known product.

They all do pretty much the same job and all do it adequately.

Heck, our Armed Forces use Breakfree and we have the best military in the world!

I personally use Eezox. It is absolutely fantastic at cleaning and has been proven to be one of the best rust preventors on the market.

I like the way it smells too. FP-10 smells nice and works well too, but doesn't inhibit rust anything like Eezox.

www.eezox.com in case you were wondering. :)

kernal_panic
July 13, 2004, 10:38 PM
I'm gonna take a flaming for this bbut i don't care.

Like everyone else i got all hot and excited over "ed's red" i mixed up a gallon of it and thought WOW NEARLY FREE GUN CLEANER!

problem is compared to Breakree CLP, Hoppes Elite feild cleaner (which is just was too pricey compared to BF CLP and FP-10) and FP-10 its pure crap. I scrubbed mil surp barrels with it till they were "clean" then it them with CLP only to have BF CLP take the majority of the carbon out of the bore. I find FP-10 has the same cleaning properties and any females in the vicinity of your gun cleaning LIKE it. by the time you get a gallon of eds together you can buy a pint of fp-10 or BF clp and it will work quicker, deeper, and make clean up in the future much easier than ED's crap.

Redhat
July 13, 2004, 10:45 PM
I don't recall my bottle of FP-10 saying anything about being a cleaner...just a lube

Doc
July 13, 2004, 10:46 PM
John: thanks!

Can anyone shed some light as to the mysterious make up of
"EEzox"?
I went to the website, it sounds like magic...

JohnBT
July 14, 2004, 07:29 AM
You're welcome.

eezox is trichloroethylene - sounds like nasty stuff you wouldn't want in your bath water according to the link below, but I use it on guns and knives and it really works well.

www.phaseonewebsitedesign.com/clients/eezox.html

DMK
July 14, 2004, 08:11 AM
I don't recall my bottle of FP-10 saying anything about being a cleaner...just a lube Mine does.

http://www.fp10.com/whatisfp10.htm

http://www.fp10.com/P1010006.gif

Redhat
July 14, 2004, 11:49 AM
DMK,

The bottle I have is put out by Shooter's Choice and it does not mention being a cleaner on the bottle. In the instruction for use it says to clean the firearm thoroughly prior to application.

I thought the two brands were the same...maybe not?

Black Snowman
July 14, 2004, 12:07 PM
Hey Redhat I have the Shooter's Choice version as well. I use it only for lubrication and in that roll it seems to work great. It doesn't require shaking and as I recall from an earlier post on the subject the newer FirePower formula to not require shaking but some old packaging was still in use that said it did. Not sure if the SC and FirePower are the same thing or not. I just know my bottle was $7 so it better work good ;)

JohnBT
July 14, 2004, 01:15 PM
The two brands are the same. What's-his-name(sorry guy, drawing a blank) from FP-10 who posts about his product frequently has said that there was a way to tell the difference between the earlier formula and the new improved formula - not between SC and FP, but between the old and the new.

I think I'd better go find the info.

Okay. Here's the quote from 1911Forum by George/Mr. FP-10...

"In order to tell which one you have, just shake it up a bit and pour a bit out in a clear glass or vessal. If it is cloudy-amber, it's the older formula that did need shaking. If it is clear-amber with no cloudiness, then it is the new formula that does NOT need to be shaken at all."

Either way, it's all the same stuff, a CLP. My old Shooter's Choice FP-10 bottle says to use a good rust preventative after using, but that's only because they want to sell their rust preventative.

John

.45&TKD
August 4, 2004, 11:14 PM
Is FP-10 sold in stores or only on their website?

lycanthrope
August 4, 2004, 11:27 PM
Also sold in stores.

www.fp10.com has a list of your local dealers. Mail order from Shooter's Choice is probably the most common route to purchase........

George Hill
August 4, 2004, 11:27 PM
Another product that I REALLY like, and use it more than BF or FP-10 is CorrosionX.
http://www.corrosionx.com/gun_use.html

I like the polar bonding properties. It works very well. Cleans pretty good, lubes as well as as the other stuff... but protects so much better than everything else it aint even funny.

stevelyn
August 5, 2004, 06:31 AM
For cleaning I'm sold on MPro-7. For lubing and rust protection I use Break-Free CLP. On parts that need grease, I've been using Brownell's Action Lube Plus a moly based grease.
I've also used Tetra Gun products and been generally satisfied them.
I finished testing some Militec-1 recently. It lubricates just fine, but it's a sorry rust preventive. Not recommended for a marine environment.

If you enjoyed reading about "Break free vs. Fp-10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!