safe on skid???

PDA

Ex-MA Hole
July 11, 2004, 10:29 PM
I just bought a Cannon Safe- what beauty...

I brought it home myself and had a friend help me unload the beast. We got it into place, and realized that it was still on the skid.

My initial reaction was "!$#@%". Then I realized that it is in my basement and if I ever take in water, it may not be bad to have it off the floor a few inches. Then I thought that it might make it easier to put back on a dolly, then I realized that the support runs down the middle and it wouldn't make much of a differecne. Then I thought...

Get the point?

Aside from the visual issue, what is the pros and cons to leaving it on the skid?

If you enjoyed reading about "safe on skid???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rocko
July 12, 2004, 01:05 PM
You should really bolt it to the floor, in which case the skid has got to go. Remember, anything that makes the safe easier for you to move does the same for a criminal. If you are worried about water damage, I'd pour a concrete pad for it, which would help in bolting it down as well, if you don't want to drill into your actual basement floor.

Blue Line
July 12, 2004, 02:36 PM
Does your basement have direct outside access that someone could back up the truck and throw the safe in the back? If not I wouldn't worry about it. Its going to take them as long to get it out as you and your buddy to get it in. Do get a golden rod to keep the humidity down.

Ex-MA Hole
July 12, 2004, 03:28 PM
I've got a Golden Rod.

I got a Golden Rod for the humidity, too.

;)

ckyllo
July 12, 2004, 04:18 PM
I know my safe if you had it sitting on the skid and opened the door it was not very solid. a mild pull on the door could get the safe to move. since most skids are not treated lumber and you have a moisture problem in a couple of years the skid could rott. than you will have a big problem and the safe could tip over. the concrete pad idea sounds the best, if someone is gonna steal it you might as well make them have to work their butts off to get it. make a box out of treated lumber a few inches larger than the safe, a few bages of quick set and your done leave the frame on it maybe even stain it, just be careful not to slop concrete on the wood.

Ex-MA Hole
July 12, 2004, 05:00 PM
ckyllo, thank you. I like that idea the best.

carpettbaggerr
July 13, 2004, 01:19 AM
Its going to take them as long to get it out as you and your buddy to get it in. Ummmm, no. See, you're worried about denting the walls and scratching the doorframes. A thief will pull it loose with a 20 ton come-along and throw it down the stairs. If you can get it in, they can get it out in 1/4 the time. That's why you bolt it down and hide it.

Blue Line
July 13, 2004, 07:34 AM
CB.
I agree there not going to be as careful, but if they have to haul it UP the basement steps its still work and most thieves I know are in it cause its easy. They wouldn't doing it if it seemed like work!:D It wouldn't hurt to bolt it down, but watch out for water in a basement. I have mine on some 1/4 plastic pipe connectors to be up out of any water. Any more than that and I'd remove the guns till the water leak is fixed and safe dried out.

If you enjoyed reading about "safe on skid???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!