PDA

halvey
July 12, 2004, 09:33 AM
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/9121480.htm?1c

Burglar met with gunshots

Homeowner confronted intruder

BY BILL GARDNER

Pioneer Press

A homeowner in Lauderdale shot and wounded a suspected burglar he surprised Friday afternoon as the bandit was leaving the home with a gun in his hand, police said.

The burglar apparently had taken the gun from the home and pointed it at the homeowner when the confrontation began, according to St. Anthony Police Capt. John Ohl.

The homeowner, whose name was not released, pulled another gun and fired several shots. At least two of them struck the other man, Ohl said.

The suspected burglar underwent surgery at Regions Hospital, and his condition was not available.

The shooting victim arrived at the home in the 1800 block of Carl Street on a bicycle. He carried no identification, and police had not determined his name, Ohl said. The suspect is an adult man, Ohl said.

The homeowner had been working outside and was walking around the side of the house when he spotted the suspected burglar, Ohl said.

Ohl said he didn't know why the homeowner happened to be carrying a gun at the time.

Bullet holes could be seen in two garages across the alley from the homeowner's garage. The neighborhood has many young children.

The burglary suspect might have been the same man who tried to burglarize a St. Paul home Friday morning and who later was seen around a house in Falcon Heights, not far from the Lauderdale home, Ohl said.

Neighbors describe the homeowner as a quiet man who has lived alone in the home for many years and works nights.

"He's a nice guy, a real quiet guy," said Kathy Gay, who has lived in the neighborhood 17 years. "He keeps to himself."

Brian Lopez, who has lived in the neighborhood 31 years, said he suspects the burglar chose that particular home because the shades were down and it looked as if nobody was home.

"The shades have never been up, ever," Lopez said.

Lopez and another neighbor said their cars recently were broken into but their houses were not.

"That's why I spent $1,000 on a Rottweiler," Lopez said.

If you enjoyed reading about "Minnesota Burglar met with gunshots" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
July 12, 2004, 10:22 AM
Notice how the writter attempts to "direct" the reader's views or opinions when they read the article by adding comments that have nothing to do with the core subject.

>> Bullet holes could be seen in two garages across the alley from the homeowner's garage. The neighborhood has many young children. <<

Apparently no "young children" were there at the time. There is no evidence that "children" played any part in the incident.

>> "That's why I spent $1,000 on a Rottweiler," Lopez said. <<

Conclusion: Expensive Rottweiler is good, guns are bad. Hopefully the Rottweiler is confined to the owner's property, or is "good with children."

WhoKnowsWho
July 12, 2004, 10:30 AM
"That's why I spent $1,000 on a Rottweiler,"

I'm sure it will function as a good backstop... :barf:

halvey
July 12, 2004, 10:47 AM
The same writer did another story on a permit holder apprehending a criminal. One of the papers confirmed he was a permit holder, but didn't print it. In fairness, they did shine a good light on guns.

Here's my thread about it:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88301

I emailed her and asked her why she didn't print he was a permit holder. Here is her response:
Thank you for your message.

We learned yesterday, after my story was published, that the men who subdued the suspect were possibly armed. However, when I re-interviewed the man who owns the auto body shop and the chief deputy in the sheriff's office, I could not confirm whether or not that information was factual.

MARA H. GOTTFRIED

flatrock
July 12, 2004, 11:40 AM
The shooting victim arrived at the home in the 1800 block of Carl Street on a bicycle.

He's not a victim. He got shot as a result of his own actions. He pointed a stolen gun at the homeowner, who shot him.

The homeowner is the victum. The burgler is the perp.

halvey
July 12, 2004, 12:01 PM
This is my favorite:Ohl said he didn't know why the homeowner happened to be carrying a gun at the time. Ummm, personal protection? Because it's his right to do so on his property. Or he has a CCW permit!!!!

Tom Servo
July 12, 2004, 12:42 PM
Minnesota, eh? I'm guessing these guys (http://www.semnpeacemakers.org/conceal_and_carry_main.html) are getting the ears of the media...

SodiumBenzoate
July 12, 2004, 01:50 PM
Minnesota, eh? I'm guessing these guys are getting the ears of the media..

That "Carries No Gun" shirt won't make one a target, now will it? :barf:

Preacherman
July 12, 2004, 01:59 PM
St. Anthony Police Capt. John Ohl
With a surname like that, one wishes his first name were Olive... :D

Pilgrim
July 12, 2004, 04:18 PM
That "Carries No Gun" shirt won't make one a target, now will it?

Would it be the same as hunting over baited ground to wear a "Carries No Gun" shirt while packing?

Pilgrim

71Commander
July 12, 2004, 04:52 PM
Hard to believe that these people are descendants of vikings:banghead:

Cabby
July 12, 2004, 04:53 PM
Minnesota, eh? I'm guessing these guys are getting the ears of the media...

:eek:

Those guys can't be for real. I kept looking for an onion URL.

Standing Wolf
July 12, 2004, 10:26 PM
The suspected burglar underwent surgery at Regions Hospital, and his condition was not available.

Obvious solution: more range time.

halvey
July 13, 2004, 09:14 AM
Minnesota, eh? I'm guessing these guys are getting the ears of the media... Actually no. They've been most effective in getting a few art galleries, CD stores and whole foods markets to post in Rochester. And that is only a handful of stores. Everywhere else the signs are a non-issue now. Most signs have been taken down, and they were never up at the big box retailers. Heck, even the strip club downtown took their sign down - well, technically it's still up - behind the counter where it can't be seen.

sevenpoint62mm
July 13, 2004, 11:25 PM
Ohl said he didn't know why the homeowner happened to be carrying a gun at the time.

Bullet holes could be seen in two garages across the alley from the homeowner's garage. The neighborhood has many young children.

Sounds a little anti-gun to me. I guess a citizen doesn't have the right to carry and defend his property anymore.

If you enjoyed reading about "Minnesota Burglar met with gunshots" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!