A [i]Novel[/i] Idea

PDA

Werewolf
July 12, 2004, 10:02 AM
[tin foil hat mode]

We've got a couple of SHTF authors on THR. Here's a novel idea for them.

Postponing the Presidential Election (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5411741/site/newsweek)

I imagine that one heck of a book could be written based on the premise that a presidential election is delayed due to a terrorist attack. I've got my own ideas about where such an action would lead. Let's hear yours.

[/tin foil hat mode]

If you enjoyed reading about "A [i]Novel[/i] Idea" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
joe sixpack
July 13, 2004, 01:02 AM
No tin foil hat on here.

I think that would be a splendid idea, until we could round up some
worthwhile candidates for that office.

cheers, ab

Henry Bowman
July 13, 2004, 03:27 PM
OK, so what would happen if mid afternoon Pacific time (polls soon to close in the east) in three or four cities in California, sniper(s) open fire on some folks as they exit the polls and then about 30 minutes later open fire on some schools yards?

Mass panic. Huge numbers of soccer moms would rush to pick up their children from school and go nowhere near a polling place. CA "postpones" its election. The other 49 states tally their votes and the electoral college is tied such that CA will determine the election (the way FL did last time, except this time CA hasn't finished voting).

Does CA now re-vote? Do only those who didn't yet vote get to now vote a week later? Has the "vote-so-far" in CA been tallied officially or by estimates in some precincts? Would people who had already voted demand to revote? What about campaign ads (and campaign finace reform laws) and "get out the vote" drives?

What if some precincts stayed open and others closed? What if the targeted or affected precincts were predominately one party or the other?

Now add in the same in another key state that is more likely to vote R. Two states postpone their elections. How many until the whole federal election is postponed? If it is, can more people who didn't vote on election day now go vote . . . now that they have some idea of the likely outcome?

:confused:

Can'thavenuthingood
July 13, 2004, 03:47 PM
So for once in ********** the outlying counties actually have the vote. The coastal areas, all democrats, are lost. The big cities don't count, the election is over, the conservative base won and ousted the dems from the state assembly and senate.

There's a twist with a sunset :)

Vick

Frohickey
July 13, 2004, 04:09 PM
Doubt California is enough to make the election undecided.

If the other 49 states had voted, and one candidate has 270 EC votes, the contest is over. And since California is expected to cast all of its 55 EC votes for the presumptive democrat nominee, its not even a swing/battleground state.

Henry Bowman
July 13, 2004, 04:28 PM
Doubt California is enough to make the election undecided.
Florida was in 2000.

Anyway, I was thinking more of a non-fiction "what-if" scenerio.

Werewolf
July 13, 2004, 08:43 PM
My idea was more along the lines of a day or two before the election a major terrorist action kills another 3 or 4 thousand Americans. The Democrats fearful of the reaction of voters to that lobby hard to delay the election.

For reasons I haven't figured out yet the election gets delayed at least two more times only this time the Democrats start yelling Coup! And they're right.

The SHTF authors can take it from there...

morganm01
July 14, 2004, 10:11 AM
Sounds like a new season of "24" to me!!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "A [i]Novel[/i] Idea" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!