Question about gun ownership in Georgia.

PDA

Lowryder
July 12, 2004, 12:51 PM
This is my first post here so I apologize ahead of time if this question isn't meant for this forum. I am completely clueless about gun laws so go easy on me.

My father recently gave me 2 Shotguns and a pistol. He owned them in FL, I brought them to GA. I am curious if I need to do anything to make them legally mine, or If I am fine with them if I only want to keep them in my house.

Also, If I decide I want to carry the pistol in my car, is anything required? Or how about taking it to a shooting range?

From my limited information I have read, the shotguns shouldn't be any problem, but the pistol may have to be registered?

Any help would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about gun ownership in Georgia." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ransom
July 12, 2004, 12:55 PM
www.packing.org

That will have a bunch of the laws for your state. However, I dont think there is anything you need to worry about. Once he gave them to you they are yours. As long as you are of legal age.

If you are going to carry the pistol in your car you'll need a permit I believe. Otherwise the pistol will have to be in a locked container in the trunk, unloaded. Same with taking it to the range.

Consult packing.org since I'm not 100% on Georgia law and some of my points might not be entirely correct.

grimlock
July 12, 2004, 01:01 PM
How old are you?

The shotguns are fine to own, but I believe that minors in GA can't own handguns. If you're over 18, you're good to go with a handgun that Dad gave you. If you're 21 and over, you can buy them at stores.

As far as car carry goes, you don't need a permit to have the handgun IN PLAIN SIGHT (dashboard, on the seat next to you, etc.) or secured in the glove compartment or trunk/cargo area.

According to an LEO friend of mine, squeezed between the passenger seat and center console does not constitute unconcealed. Under the driver's seat is also a no-no. It's either in the open or put away.

If you're over 21, you can get a CCW permit for fairly cheap and carry wherever you want in the car (as long as you're not going to school, but you can go to school if you're only picking somebody up or dropping them off, ugh I hate gun laws).

Lowryder
July 12, 2004, 01:16 PM
Should have included this in the orignal post. I am 25.

Thanks for the replies so far. They are very helpful.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about gun ownership in Georgia." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!