Board is set for one serach every 30 seconds

PDA

OF
July 12, 2004, 05:36 PM
Please, please tell me this is a leftover of the search system reset and not a permanent new restriction. The way I use the board, it bugs me to no end.

Am I doomed to a life of frustration? Watching the clock ticking off the seconds? 30 seconds...it might as well be an eternity.

- Gabe

If you enjoyed reading about "Board is set for one serach every 30 seconds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
July 12, 2004, 05:52 PM
It's been that way for quite a while. I think it used to be a minute. The reason is to prevent search flooding. I gotta ask, if you're watching the clock tick off the seconds, then why are you doing a search in the first place? Most people take at least that long to review the results. If there were no results for the search, then the time limit doesn't apply.

tyme
July 13, 2004, 01:54 AM
I think it used to be set to 30 seconds or a minute, but during the search rebuild I noticed it was zero. I set it back to 30 seconds after recalling someone's complaint about page load times.

There's been a significant increase in traffic now that word of the Round Table has spread, and there may be nothing that'll improve the occasional slow page load.

WonderNine
July 13, 2004, 02:17 AM
crap. The search function never used to have any restrictions until now. :(

I can tell that it's going to be really annoying now when I'm trying to dig up information!

c_yeager
July 13, 2004, 04:24 AM
I've noticed the restriction for QUITE some time now. Long before the latest outtage.

WonderNine
July 13, 2004, 05:47 AM
The first time I noticed it was tonight. And I come into tech support to post a thread about it and saw this one.

Just the other day I was doing multiple searches one after the other. :confused:

c_yeager
July 13, 2004, 05:58 AM
Just the other day I was doing multiple searches one after the other.

I think it used to be set to 30 seconds or a minute, but during the search rebuild I noticed it was zero. I set it back to 30 seconds after recalling someone's complaint about page load times.

There you have it.

OF
July 13, 2004, 09:37 AM
I gotta ask, if you're watching the clock tick off the seconds, then why are you doing a search in the first place?My link to the board gives me a list of new posts since my last visit right out of the gate, so every time I hit the board I start with a search. Sometimes I then move right to searching on my username to check on threads I've particpated in.

I am now thwarted. No big deal, I can work around it, but you did ask. ;)

- Gabe

PS: I'm almost positive this restriction has not been in place for a long long time. At least I haven't seen it.

Mal H
July 13, 2004, 11:20 AM
Sounds like a tried and true mechanical/electrical engineering method is called for in this case. That method is called "tweaking". :)

tyme - I'm going to set it for 10 seconds. You obviously have the final say on this since you can watch the dials and gauges and see what is actually happening. 10 sec. should keep the floodgates satisfactorily closed.

WonderNine
July 13, 2004, 04:40 PM
There you have it.

I never noticed it before obviously.

There you have it.

OF
July 13, 2004, 05:18 PM
Now there's customer service for ya. I shore do appreciate that, Mal. Thanks a million.

- Gabe

If you enjoyed reading about "Board is set for one serach every 30 seconds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!