CCW holder traveling to an open carry area (Utah). ATTN George Hill

PDA

sevenpoint62mm
July 13, 2004, 12:01 AM
Thinking about visiting family in the just south of the SLC area (minersville) and wasn't sure what the law is like there. If I understand correctly open carry is ok but CCW isn't. Do you need a different permit for open carry, can I conceal carry, or should I just be a defenseless sheeple for the trip? :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW holder traveling to an open carry area (Utah). ATTN George Hill" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KenW.
July 13, 2004, 02:58 AM
utah is pretty good about accepting other states' ccw.

As far as open carry, without a ccw one cannot carry a loaded weapon on the street. A weapon is deemed loaded when manipilation of any device once would cause it to fire. i.e. a round on the next chamber of a cylinder coming up. of course, no round under the hammer either.

Its all layed out at packing.org, and the utah code is on-line at www.utah.gov . check the legislative link to constitution and codes.

ken

Correia
July 13, 2004, 01:39 PM
Utah will honor your Texas permit if you have one. Concealed is usually better then open here. Most areas do not have a problem with open carry, but in some jurisdictions, be prepared to eat pavement and get hauled in for disturbing the peace or creating a public menace or something like that. I do not know anything about Minersville. So if you have a Texas permit, you are good to go.

sevenpoint62mm
July 13, 2004, 07:08 PM
Ok so to summerize I can conceal carry legally with CCW. I can can also legally open carry with or without CCW as long as its not "loaded" though doing so might be me harassed by LEOs/security? Am I correct?

Gray Peterson
July 13, 2004, 08:33 PM
Utah will honor your Texas permit if you have one. Concealed is usually better then open here. Most areas do not have a problem with open carry, but in some jurisdictions, be prepared to eat pavement and get hauled in for disturbing the peace or creating a public menace or something like that. I do not know anything about Minersville. So if you have a Texas permit, you are good to go.

Please stop spreading FUD.

Please call up the disturbing the peace laws of Utah. I guarantee you it would not effect open carry. Also, AG Mark Shurtleff has stated that he will not allow any prosecutions of legal open carrying in the state. So if you do get "hauled in", all you have to do is make a call to the AG's office and they will tell the cops to let you go or else.

Correia
July 14, 2004, 10:52 AM
Lonnie, that is great in theory. Go open carry in down town Salt Lake. Somebody WILL call the police. It will be a man with a gun call. Their reaction will depend on the individual officers background and training. Best case scenario they know the law and ask you to go on your way and quit scaring people. Worst case scenario you get detained and hauled in until the lawyers figure out what to do. If you can carry concealed, why not just do it?

I don't know anything about Minersville.

Gray Peterson
July 14, 2004, 10:53 AM
Lonnie, that is great in theory. Go open carry in down town Salt Lake. Somebody WILL call the police. It will be a man with a gun call. Their reaction will depend on the individual officers background and training. Best case scenario they know the law and ask you to go on your way and quit scaring people. Worst case scenario you get detained and hauled in until the lawyers figure out what to do. If you can carry concealed, why not just do it?

I guess you should ask that question in Virginia and Arizona too.

Correia
July 14, 2004, 11:06 AM
Lonnie, I carry openly in rural areas all of the time. I've carried in the desert. I've carried openly in small towns. I have never had a problem. Like I have already said I don't know jack about Minersville or what it is like.

You can be legally correct, and still get harrassed. As a lawyer friend of mine has said about gun issues, "Guys like me start at $250 an hour. Pony up activist boy."

Mark Shurtleff is on our side. He is a good guy and a good AG when it comes to guns. He also thinks it is okay for me to carry into the Delta Center or USANA. However if I try to pack a gun in there they throw me out in a heartbeat at the security checkpoint. See what I'm trying to say, the AG can say I'm right, they law can say I'm right, but that still doesn't keep me from getting harrassed and bugged.

I don't know about you guys, but when I'm going on vacation the last thing I want to do is spend six or eight hours in a police station while the details are ironed out.

If you can carry concealed. Carry concealed. You are now armed to defend yourself. Problem solved.

Sam Adams
July 14, 2004, 01:21 PM
I'm not from Utah, but it would seem to me to that its better to carry concealed in any situation other than when hiking outdoors in the middle of nowhere. In cities and towns you are concerned about human predators, and if they know that you are armed (i.e. in a convenience store), you will likely get shot first - and with no warning - and then the store will be robbed. In the Great Outdoors, OTOH, the bears don't really know much about firesticks, and you want to be both comfortable and able to reach your gun ASAP.

I also wouldn't want to have to spend lots of time in the klink proving that I was within my rights to carry - and esp. not while on vacation. Also, the idea of eating some pavement and/or having several LEOs nervously pointing their weapons at me prior to the time in the klink is not exactly my idea of a good time.

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW holder traveling to an open carry area (Utah). ATTN George Hill" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!