Red Cross Fears U.S. Is Hiding Detainees

PDA

w4rma
July 13, 2004, 01:04 PM
Red Cross Fears U.S. Officials Are Holding Terror Suspects in Secret Locations Worldwide
The Associated Press

GENEVA July 13, 2004 — The international Red Cross said Tuesday that it fears U.S. officials are holding terror suspects secretly in locations across the world.

The Geneva Conventions on the conduct of warfare require the United States to give the Red Cross access to prisoners of war and other detainees.

"We have access to people detained by the United States in Guantanamo Bay, Afghanistan and Iraq, but in our understanding there are people that are detained outside these places for which we haven't received notification or access," said Antonella Notari, a spokeswoman for the International Committee of the Red Cross.
But Notari told The Associated Press that some suspects reported as arrested by the FBI on its Web site, or identified in media reports, are unaccounted for.

"Some of these people who have been reported to be arrested never showed up in any of the places of detention run by the U.S. where we visit," Notari said.
An Army report on the abuses at Baghdad's Abu Ghraib prison found that military police there "routinely held persons brought to them by Other Government Agencies without accounting for them, knowing their identities, or even the reason for their detention."

On at least one occasion they moved these "ghost detainees" around the prison to hide them from a visiting Red Cross delegation, the report by Maj. Gen. Antonio Taguba said. He described the actions as "deceptive, contrary to Army Doctrine, and in violation of international law."
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/World/ap20040713_348.html

These "Detention Centers" seem more and more like toned down "Concentration Camps", to me. Hitler kept his "Concentration Camps" quiet also. Many Germans didn't believe he even had them (and many "Holocaust deniers" (Nazis?), still don't believe they existed).

If you enjoyed reading about "Red Cross Fears U.S. Is Hiding Detainees" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
deej
July 13, 2004, 01:11 PM
Godwin's Law makes an early appearance...

HankB
July 13, 2004, 02:01 PM
As long as we're on the subject of full disclosure, I'd like to know if there was ever a final accounting of the funds and other donations the Red Cross collected for victims of 9/11 . . . where did the stuff go, how much money went to the victims, how much went to "overhead" etc.

Detachment Charlie
July 13, 2004, 02:14 PM
And while were accounting, what about all those $50 "donations" to the Red Cross girls for "services rendered" in RVN?

I think I got my money's worth. :what:

Frohickey
July 13, 2004, 02:17 PM
Red Cross... weren't they the ones that were accused of providing get-away ambulances for Palestinian terrorists?

Boats
July 13, 2004, 03:48 PM
Of course we run secret underground prisons all over the world, didn't you see the first season of 24?:D

sumpnz
July 13, 2004, 04:30 PM
Red Cross... weren't they the ones that were accused of providing get-away ambulances for Palestinian terrorists? The video I saw had a clearly marked UN ambulance spiriting away the Palastinian gunmen. I think there was Red Cross/Cresent ambulance off in the distance but it was not possible to see if it was being used similarly.

JohnBT
July 13, 2004, 05:21 PM
"These "Detention Centers" seem more and more like toned down "Concentration Camps", to me."

That's got to be the silliest thing you've ever posted. Maybe not, I haven't read everything you've posted.

John

cordex
July 13, 2004, 05:31 PM
I hear american generals eat babies on toasted rye every morning.

Toasted RYE!!!!

And they use spoons carved from human bone.

Can you imagine, using spoons to eat a sandwich?!?

Yowza
July 13, 2004, 05:48 PM
Cordex that was quite possibly the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum.

Rick

Standing Wolf
July 13, 2004, 06:42 PM
Sounds like another evil conspiracy theory to me. They cost only $.10 per dozen.

kcslim
July 14, 2004, 12:05 AM
What a waste of money,Once a known and detained terrorist is of no intelligence value he or she should then be shot and buried,they have no right's.

erikm
July 14, 2004, 04:58 AM
That ICRC is saying this is quite disturbing to me. It goes a long way toward saying that the US government is actively 'disappearing' people.

ICRC is a Geneva-based organisation and shouldn't be confused with any national or regional Red Cross group. These are the people who openly enter warzones tracking captives and reporting on the warring parties' behavior. A reputation for strict neutrality and evenhandedness is their stock in trade and IIRC you have to be a swiss citizen to join.

To anyone not wanting such an organisation around, even for terrorists, think of this: Would you want your soldiers being captured and then vanishing, never to be seen again? Would you want their relatives to receive boxes containing (for instance) the freeze-dried heads of their loved ones? ICRC is an organisation dedicated to trying to get warring parties to keep at least a minimum of civilized behaviour. Tracking captives is a part of this. Once ICRC has their names, disappearing them or hiding maltreatment becomes a lot harder.

Cheers,
ErikM :evil:

capt. Nemo
July 14, 2004, 06:38 AM
These international "organizations" seem to be instruments through which the majority of the rest of the world can point fingers at the evil United States of America. That they "openly enter warzones...and report on the warring parties' behavior" doesn't, as far as I'm concerned", lend them any nobility or credibility.

Want to talk about behavior? Take a look at the animals who are beheading captives. Examine the sub-human scum that's supporting these animals. What's the ICRC doing about them?

The finger seems always to be pointing at the United States as the bad guy. As far as I'm concerned w play way too nice with thes people. "Disappearing" them - all of them - is a really good idea.

Ohen Cepel
July 14, 2004, 07:27 AM
Yes, and I fear that the muslim extremist are also hiding prisoners:banghead:

Sleeping Dog
July 14, 2004, 07:29 AM
These "Detention Centers" seem more and more like toned down "Concentration Camps", to me.

Yeah, basically they mean the same thing. Just like the "Relocation" centers we use to house Japanese-Americans during ww2.

The comparison to Nazi "Concentration Camps" is mostly correct, the Dentention Centers are prison camps for isolating these individuals. The comparison is not 100%, because our Detention Centers are lacking certain features, like supplying slave labor to our industry, starving the occupants, exterminating them via gas-chambers and burning the bodies, using the occupants for terminal medical experiments, melting down their gold fillings, using their skin for lampshades, little details like that. Other than that, yes, very similar.

Regards.

MarkDido
July 14, 2004, 08:28 AM
Yep!

We have a slew of prisioners we're hiding. They're there with Elvis, JFK and Walt Disney.

cracked butt
July 14, 2004, 08:42 AM
Godwin's Law makes an early appearance...

I had to look that one up, learned something good and useful today.:cool:

Terrorists disappearing? Oh well, good riddance. Better that they turn up later with them going quietly with a bullet in their head than having the media circus around trials that will get the few extremist factions of Muslims riled up.

shermacman
July 14, 2004, 09:44 AM
I can't believe the apologists for the International Red Cross. The Red Cross spends far too much energy making sure Saddam has lined writing paper for his latest novel. Meanwhile the hard work remains to be done in the genocide of the Sudan, keeping track of polio vaccines in Nigeria, the slave trade in Ethiopia. Every time Israel takes out a military target in one of the UN's Palistinian refugee camps the Red Cross goes nuts. Never a comment when some lunatic Pali blows up a bus stop full of innocent civilians. No, the Red Cross prefers air conditioned offices near the sex trade centers of the world so they can hang out with their fellow prostitutes in the United Nations. And don't tell me that the ICRC is separate from local Red Cross offices: the local offices pay for ICRC.

flatrock
July 14, 2004, 04:41 PM
The Geneva Conventions on the conduct of warfare

I'm pretty sure the Geneva conventions only cover soldiers from a warring nation. I thought it had already been stated that terrorists which aren't part of an army of a recognized government aren't covered.

That means we have no responsibility to make those prisinors available to the Red Cross.

I think it's good that we have made many such prisoners available to them, but if there is strategic value in not making it public that we have a particular terrorist detained, then I can understand not notifying the Red Cross of their existence.

I understand and respect the goals of the red cross in making sure prisoners are treated fairly, but I think they are overstepping their charter here. I don't blame them for asking for access, but saying the US is in violation of the law seems inappropriate.

Destructo6
July 15, 2004, 12:42 AM
ICRC is a Geneva-based organisation and shouldn't be confused with any national or regional Red Cross group.
IIRC you have to be a swiss citizen to join
If true, wouldn't that make them a Swiss Red Cross group?

If you enjoyed reading about "Red Cross Fears U.S. Is Hiding Detainees" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!