Need a strong & reliable 9mm; Ruger or Beretta?

PDA

MR.G
July 13, 2004, 08:39 PM
I need a very strong and reliable 9mm pistol. Looked at a Ruger and a Beretta today. The Beretta is more money, but the price will not be the deciding factor.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need a strong & reliable 9mm; Ruger or Beretta?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cmbmw
July 13, 2004, 08:50 PM
Sig P228

R.H. Lee
July 13, 2004, 08:51 PM
CZ75B:D

scubasteve
July 13, 2004, 08:53 PM
lol (really my answer would be sig, but just to follow the trend)

Walther P99
Kahr PM9
Springfield XD 9

:neener:

Boats
July 13, 2004, 08:53 PM
CZ 75/85 or P-01:cool:

BlackJack
July 13, 2004, 08:58 PM
If Rugers and Berettas are what you have to choose from, you already know the answer. Both are suitable--Ruger is cheaper--Beretta has a better reputation but is better. I'd buy a Beretta.

Spot77
July 13, 2004, 09:00 PM
If you're set on either of those two, my vote goes to the Ruger. I have 6,000 rounds through my P95 without a single problem.

I second the vote for the CZ75 too. Fine gun for a little more money.

BTW, I paid $349 for my Ruger, and then got a $40 rebate from Ruger on it.

And I live in Maryland; land of outrageous gun prices.

dhoomonyou
July 13, 2004, 09:08 PM
Glock

R.H. Lee
July 13, 2004, 09:13 PM
Glock

Tamara's rule is that someone will say "Get a Glock" within 5 replies. You are two replies late, and short on verbiage. Please follow established protocol. Thank you.:p

hollowpointt
July 13, 2004, 09:13 PM
How about an H&K USP9. Price shop, you should be able to come close to the price of a Beretta. The HK in my opinion is a far superior firearm, and worth a little extra.

treeprof
July 13, 2004, 09:49 PM
Among the two, it's prob slightly harder to hurt a Ruger. Or any Ruger, for that matter. Not that the the Beretta is a pansy, by any means. Any particular reason you're looking for something extra strong?

I like Ruger's revolvers, but not their semis - too funky and blocky. I handled a new P345 last weekend - blech! Now it's just a skinny, ugly and non-ergonomic (for my hand) brick. I had a P95 for a while - a very reliable firearm. It's gone, but I wouldn't sell my Beretta 92 Centurion.

outofbattery
July 13, 2004, 09:52 PM
I really don't think there's much anything in it in terms of function when comparing virtually any current , quality production autos : virtually every Sig , Beretta , Glock , CZ , Ruger , HK , Smith , Browning ... is going to go bang when you want it and place a chunk of copper and lead where it is aimed . Buy whatever strikes your fancy and fits your hands best and be happy . Unless you're just dead set on the Beretta or Ruger do some shopping around and you might be surprised at what you like and for what price . As an example , I hadn't really considered an SW99 but after handling one - and seeing the $359 price tag - it really changed my mind .

misANTHrope
July 13, 2004, 10:12 PM
I like my P94, and for the price, I personally think it can't be beat. However, I am a bit unhappy with the location of both the safety and slide release- I have to shift my grip to hit either of them with the shooting hand. If I had it to do over again, I think I'd take a closer look at the CZ75B. But this is not meant at all to imply that I'm disappointed in my Ruger.

MJRW
July 13, 2004, 10:30 PM
When you say strong do mean you'll be falling off of mountains and being dragged behind trucks strong or just strong as in won't fall apart? If it is the latter, you cannot go wrong with any of the big names:

Ruger
Beretta
Sig
Glock
H&K
Springfield
CZ
and so on.

I can't think of any 9mms there that have a bad reputation for reliability or lasting ability. The only questions at that point are which one is better in your hand. They will all feed reliably, all shoot accurately, and all last a long long time. I would even throw Taurus and Smith & Wesson in there with some exceptions (Sigma anyone?).

The question is not what we like more, the question is what do you like more.

JohnKSa
July 13, 2004, 10:54 PM
Strong is probably Ruger.

Reliable is both.

Either will work fine, pick the one you LIKE. Better yet, pick the one you shoot the best.

Flashpoint
July 13, 2004, 11:11 PM
Out of the two I'd say Ruger. They have earned a rep for being built like a tank for a reason.

Heysoos
July 13, 2004, 11:24 PM
I've gotta go with the Ruger. My P95 is, as others have already pointed out, built like a tank and won't quit. I've heard stories of people with thousands and thousands and thousands of round thru em. For the money, I don't think it could be beat. Keep in mind, they're not really designed for concealed carry (unless you're a relatively big person), but if you want a great gun for the nightstand, you've found it.

Penforhire
July 14, 2004, 12:17 AM
Ruger has the tougher reputation. Early examples were "bulletproof" while the same could not be said for Beretta's early wondernine.

9x19
July 14, 2004, 01:39 AM
Having owned multiple examples of each brand, I'd go Ruger.

GroovedG19
July 14, 2004, 07:41 AM
HK P2000.

CZ52GUY
July 14, 2004, 08:21 AM
Both have notoriously awkward DA pulls. My P95DC can't be fired by everyone...one guy I let try it just couldn't make it work. Beretta operational controls can be awkward for some hands...I found this to be true when handling at a gun shop.

Both have their following around here...if they fit the user, great!

Autoloaders are about ergonomics, they're like shoes...they need to fit or you will be miserable.

Take your time, check out both. Rent them if you can. Try to go beyond simple SA practice to verify accuracy and feel from the shooting position. Try some DA/SA transitions. Operate the controls. If permissable...simulate some draw from holster exercises (if needs be, start at low ready). Safety on/safety off. Acquire, shoot, safety back on and/or apply decocker after shooting.

Consider some of the good alternatives suggested. Consider how you expect to use it...a bench gun simply for practice is different than a competition gun which may be different from a carry piece.

If politics is important to you, some consider the Ruger company to have betrayed the 2nd Amendent cause. The late Bill Ruger once said "...no honest man needs more than 10 rounds in a magazine", or something to that effect. Ruger was largely supportive of the Clinton Ban. Some believe that no honest man would tell another honest man how many rounds he needs to defend loved ones, life, limb, and property. I bought my Rugers without the benefit of that knowledge. How that knowledge influences your decision is completely up to you.

Good luck, and safe shooting,

CZ52'

pauli
July 14, 2004, 10:03 AM
whatever fits your hand best... and i'd try a few others as well, as neither the ruger or beretta are known for having human hands as part of the design spec.

axeman_g
July 14, 2004, 11:15 AM
I want to follow Axeman_g's stated protocol that all handgun "which one .." be answered with the only correct possiblity

High Power !!!!

MrMurphy
July 14, 2004, 11:16 AM
The S&W 5906 has a better fit and trigger pull than either.

So does the Sig P228.

If you don't mind Plastic guns, the Glock 19 is the best 9mm out there.

The Walther P99 is right behind it as is the new H&K P2000.

The Ruger P89 is a good solid pistol, and fits most people better than a Beretta (which is WAY oversized for a 9mm) but still a bit large.

The CZ75 series is also excellent.

Gunsnrovers
July 14, 2004, 11:28 AM
There are just far too many quality semi-auto's out there. Just try to find a place to try as many as you can and get the one you like. So long as it's of quality from a major manufacturer, I just don't see how you can go wrong with any of the suggestions above.

Go forth and shoot something! :)

Dionysusigma
July 14, 2004, 11:43 AM
Whatever fits your hand best... and I'd try a few others as well, as neither the Ruger or Beretta are known for having human hands as part of the design spec. Odd... the Beretta 92FS and all variants (Brigadier, Stock Competition, etc.) fit my hands beautifully. Some people like Glocks, and I cannot stand the grip on them at all. Agree with the whole "try[ing] a few other as well." Steyr M9, Springfield XD, any variation of a Browning HP, etc. are known for their great ergonomics as well as their reliability.

Personally, I like Berettas. :)

cigarman
July 14, 2004, 11:43 AM
The Beretta doesn't hold a candle to the CZ pistols P01 or CZ75.

The Ruger is a great pistol but is not as ergonomic as the P01. I have my Ruger P-95 on consignment right now and own 11 different CZ pitols.

Johnny Guest
July 14, 2004, 12:37 PM
Of the two you mention I'd say the Ruger is hands-down winner in the massively strong category. I can't recall EVER being on the range with a Ruger 9mm that malfunctioned with factory mags and halfway decent ammo. I don't personally care much for 'em - - too blocky, too heavy for the 9x19 mm chambering - - but, give the devil his due . . .

Speaking of too blocky, but still very durable and reliable - - The Glock series deserves a look. I keep a G19 for a spare pistol, and could live with it, I s'pose . . . .

You don't mention your preference of action type. My personal choice of the 9mms is the Browning High Power, but single action, cocked-and-locked carry is not for everyone.

There are certainly other handguns, but, hey, you asked about niner mike-mikes - - -

Best,
Johnny

Pythonman
July 14, 2004, 04:36 PM
Skip the Ruger and Beretta, unless you really like the Ruger. The bargain of the year is IMO is the SiG Pro 2009 for right around $450 brand new. Nice gun. I mean, as long as you're not looking for ultra compact 9s get a Sig. The Sig Pro or either of your choices are great choices so whatever you end up with you'll be in good shape.

ColtBRH
July 14, 2004, 04:41 PM
I would get the Glock 17 with a few 17 shot clips.

MJRW
July 14, 2004, 04:54 PM
They are making Glock's now that take clips? That's an interesting twist. Have you been to the Feinstein Glock Armory School?

PBIR
July 14, 2004, 04:59 PM
I own a Beretta 92 that I kitted out with some Hogue wrap-around grips. Zero complaints here, I can't think of any other 9mm that feels that good. Will be sending it off soon for some triji night sights.

Delmar
July 14, 2004, 05:00 PM
If it makes a difference to you, Beretta has a deal going right now-if you buy a 92 or a 96, send in your boxtop and proof of purchase and they will send you 2-15 round magazines.

I bought a 92 Vertec last month. The grip shape is better for my hands and its not quite as bulky as the 92 FS or the Ruger. Be prepared for about a 500 round workout to get the trigger worked in. Mine has gone from horrible to not bad in single action, but being a dyed in the wool 1911 man, I don't believe I'll ever be a fan of a DA trigger pull.

Beretta rates the frame life at about 30,000 rounds. Gee, I would have worn my 1911 out 4 pistols ago, but we shall see.

Between the two you mention-Ruger has it all over the Beretta so far as overall strength. I don't know anyone who has worn out a P-89, but then, the people I know who own them do not shoot them a whole lot.

MJRW
July 14, 2004, 05:06 PM
One thing that hasn't been said here:

If you do opt for a Beretta, you may send it to Ernest Langdon who invokes the spirit world and sacrifices chickens or something and makes the Beretta magical. That by itself has almost prompted me to buy a Beretta several times over. He is also working on Sigs now, too.

valor1
July 14, 2004, 08:49 PM
Both are good guns and both are reliable. If you won't be doing too much shooting (like the IPSC thing) then both will do.

Personally, I'll go for the CZ75 family route or the SIGs, HKs and Walthers. These guns are too damn boring because of their reliability. I owned them adn shoot all types of ammo and never got a problem. Just my .20 cents.

rde
July 14, 2004, 09:56 PM
I would vote Ruger first. And...(hang on while I put on my flame resistent suit...sheesh..did I gain some weight?...ok..here we go)...then a Taurus PT92 series second (Taurus version of the Beretta 92 series).

Ruger = reliable and tough.

Throwing in the Taurus PT92 series because the pricing is more in line with the Ruger..and..the location of the safety on such a large (full size) hand gun is much easier to operate on the Tarurus model...plus it can be carried locked and cocked eliminating the double to single action transition. Not as nicely fit and finished as a Beretta...but from my experience equally reliable and very accurate.

Have the Ruger KP95 and and older Taurus PT92AFS in pimp nickel. Like both. Only issue I have with either is the Taurus that I bought well used sometimes kicks brass back at me...which I haven't gotten around to addressing yet (probably just needs a new recoil spring or something similar).

Just a thought.

ninjaj448
July 15, 2004, 07:07 AM
I have the beretta 92fs; my brother-in-law the ruger p85. both are excellent in 9mm. the beretta is more comfortable, more accurate, prettier and just functions better overall. i guess on a scale of 1-10, i'd give the 92fs a 10 and the ruger p85 a 9.9; they are that close.

historically, there is nothing stronger than ruger revolvers. i'm not that familiar with ruger semi's(other than that mentioned above)but would assume the strength thing goes for their auto's as well.

wingman
July 15, 2004, 07:40 AM
CZ75 hands down, accurate, quality.

Berg01
July 15, 2004, 09:13 AM
Don't let anybody BS you; the Berettas and Rugers are fine guns, and excellent service pistols. The CZs and Sigs are also very good guns. I would take my own Sig P228, but that is my own choice & opinion.

Try out as many of these as you can, and then make your choice based on what works for you.

Red_SC
July 15, 2004, 10:59 AM
I've put quite a few rounds through both, although the Ruger is a .45, not a 9mm. IMO, either will be a fine handgun. The Ruger is stronger, and never malfunctions. The Beretta is less blocky, and very rarely malfunctions. My advice would be to handle both, and get the one that handles most naturally for you. If I were to go buy one today, it would be the Beretta.

cool45auto
July 15, 2004, 11:09 AM
Okay let me get this out of the way: GET THE BERETTA!!

Whew, now I feel better.

But really, I've owned both and wouldn't be afraid to carry either one. They are both excellent guns.

sm
July 15, 2004, 11:39 AM
Between the choices you cited Ruger or Beretta . Ruger.

There may reasons for which I don't know, Reg's for a job, approved and so on.

The Rugers we used for range guns always worked. The small town LEO's that used them never had a problem. Some Security guards used these because they were approved , affordable, always worked and with 9mm ammo being affordable , actually practiced. May have been Blazer ammo...practice is practice.

Granted, when they launched a 9mm from a BHP there were oohs and aahs. That was true though after they shot the Beretta's the Sigs, the...well you get the idea.
:)

hoppinglark
July 15, 2004, 11:49 AM
the M9 doesn't do well in dusty climates , like Arizona, or Afganistan.
I just finished cleaning mine....

Why not get the Taurus PT-92, exact same as the Beretta....

christophera
July 15, 2004, 01:32 PM
Any Sig 9. I would also think HK's but have only had experience with .40 and .45's. All were flawless.

tbeb
July 15, 2004, 06:09 PM
I had a decocker model Ruger P-95 with stainless slide that I bought new. It never malfunction with various brands 115 gr. FMJ, Federal 115 gr. JHP, and Proload 124 gr. JHP+P. I bought this pistol because I wanted one that was reliable and reasonably priced.

I handled, but did not fire, a Beretta 92 series that was a double action only and on this particular specimen the trigger pull was as smooth and as light as I've felt on any handgun.

If money is no object I'd go with the Beretta if it feels good in your hand. The Beretta 92 series is about 7 1/2 ounces heavier than the
P-95, which will help muzzle jump. Ruger P-89 is about 5 ounces heavier than P-95 , but I never fired one.

PO2Hammer
July 15, 2004, 06:38 PM
I really like the SIG P226.
Berettas are nice, but the Sig is nicer.
The P226 was the real winner of the Army's pistol trials, and is the choice of Navy SEALs who could choose any pistol they wanted. If it's good enough for thoses guys, it's good enough for me.
I bought mine used (well used), and it is still very accurate and 100% reliable after unknown thousands of rounds.
The molded metal parts of the Ruger and its looks keep me away.
You really need to wrap your hand around a Sig to appreciate the way they handle.
It's the only pistol I can reach both the mag and slide release without shifting my grip.

gripper
July 15, 2004, 09:35 PM
Does Beretta offer any steel frame options in the 92 series?I seem to recall....BTW the Brigadier slides are always an option;that extra weight is added in to the area of the slide above the locking block area;I think it was an add on /production after a few instances of frame cracking&slide failure/overtavel.one of you has to know this.
I gotta plug the CZ75/85 combat series myself;would like to try some of the more recent stuff...

Rival
July 16, 2004, 12:16 AM
Let me see... You want strong and reliable 9mm, and you did mention the price will not be the deciding factor...

I think that you should really consider Browning Hi Power - MkIII, Standart, or Practical...

Tony S45
July 17, 2004, 05:56 AM
Ruger P95 with a slip-on Hogue grip. Mine has been 100% reliable and as accurate as other guns costing twice as much. It fits more hands than the Berretas.

Q-ball
July 17, 2004, 07:06 AM
Go with Rugger, it's easier to spell!:D

Feanaro
July 17, 2004, 07:16 AM
If strength and reliability are the deciding factors, the Ruger. But the Ruger P-series feel really uncomfortable in my hands. The Beretta gets the nod in ergonomics. Now if they would put the controls where they belong... :D

cool45auto
July 18, 2004, 12:06 PM
Go with Rugger, it's easier to spell!
BWAHAHAHA:neener:

I've lost count of the number of times Beretta's been spelled Baretta.:p

Steve in Utah
July 18, 2004, 10:07 PM
Ruger P-95 or P-95DC for only $307 at www.ImpactGuns.com with a $9.95 slip-on Hogue Grip.

Rugers are the Rodney Dangerfields of firearms; because they aren't fancy, they get no respect (by those not familiar with them). :D

hm
December 14, 2005, 05:16 PM
The last post on this thread was, lessee....about 17 months ago, so no one will ever read this. Regardless, why isn't anyone mentioning the venerable Mak? It's got, like, 2 moving parts and is the handgun equivalent of the AK in ruggedness.

Black Majik
December 14, 2005, 05:39 PM
Quite honestly, of the two, I'd go for the Beretta...

BUT!!!..... I'd rather boycott Beretta at the moment because they're putting in plastic parts on their firearms. Yeah, most likely they're not gonna change, but I just cant help to think they really riuned a great firearm, and their company. Putting in cheaper parts and raising the price doesn't go well with me. IF you wanna go the Beretta route, find a used one. Support the local gunshops but not the company. And boy oh boy.... did they really ruin the INOX models. :(

Oh yeah.... SIG P226 :D

dasmi
December 14, 2005, 05:43 PM
I'm going to have to say Glock 17 or 19. But that's just me.

gudel
December 14, 2005, 07:40 PM
Having owned both Ruger and Beretta, I'd go with Beretta. Better looks, better workmanship.
I had seen a guy with P89 in range doing shotgun spray from 10 yards. I was doing the same with my KP95 :D
My 92FS is far more accurate, works 100% out of the box without extractor tuning or feed ramp polishing or magazine tweaking. :D

IndianaDean
December 14, 2005, 08:06 PM
I'll only say I've never owned a Ruger semi, so I can't really answer the question from that perspective. I know Ruger's gp100 revolver is practically indestructible. So if they make their semis close to that well, I'd think it would be a good choice.

BsChoy
December 14, 2005, 08:15 PM
Glock 19...stong and unstoppable...easy to find holsters and toys for as well

JohnKSa
December 14, 2005, 10:05 PM
The accessory market for the Ruger centerfire handguns is a bit on the weak side, but they definitely fit my definition of strong.

The Berettas tend to cost a bit more, are a bit "slicker", have a little edge in accuracy, are easier to "buy for", but may not be quite as durable.

Reliability is a wash. Either will fit the bill in that department.

I don't think you'll be unhappy with either choice. Pick the one you like best.

MCgunner
December 14, 2005, 10:17 PM
Having owned both Ruger and Beretta, I'd go with Beretta. Better looks, better workmanship.
I had seen a guy with P89 in range doing shotgun spray from 10 yards. I was doing the same with my KP95 :D
My 92FS is far more accurate, works 100% out of the box without extractor tuning or feed ramp polishing or magazine tweaking. :D

Some idiot spraying and praying is the fault of the gun?

Quite honestly, of the two, I'd go for the Ruger. I shoot my P85 in IDPA matches and have nothing, but praise for it. It' goes bang every time and shoots where I look. It is accurate and reliable to the extreme. I had a little pocket Beretta, wasn't the top of the line, just a little .22 short Jet Fire. But, how they ever let that POS out of the factory I'll never know. :rolleyes: It gave me a bad opinion of Beretta. I'll stick with what works, thanks. Besides, I like the way the Rugers work and feel.

gudel
December 14, 2005, 10:27 PM
Some idiot spraying and praying is the fault of the gun?

Apparently there are more than just me and the other guy as the idiot. Includes the RO, the other guy's friend as well. :rolleyes:
There are some guns that just not as accurate as others. You know it as well as I do. Ruger is one of them.

MCgunner
December 14, 2005, 10:29 PM
I'll only say I've never owned a Ruger semi, so I can't really answer the question from that perspective. I know Ruger's gp100 revolver is practically indestructible. So if they make their semis close to that well, I'd think it would be a good choice.

That's the one thing NOBODY can deny. Rugers are built STRONG, sometimes to a fault. They really don't need that much bulk in the slide. But, they're fairly light for a duty size gun. The newer P95/97 and P345 are quite a bit slimmer than the bigger P guns. My P90 is UNREAL accurate, match grade right out of the box. My P85 is a little less so, but still accurate for a duty gun. Those guns may be a little bulky, but they're hell for stout! Won't be no slides crackin' one one, I can tell ya that!

I'd GUESS that the trigger on the Beretta is probably better. My P90 is pretty decent, but the P85 is a little stiff for my tastes in single action, probably breaks about 7-8 lbs. Doesn't slow me any, though. Of the two, the .45 is my favorite by a long shot. I had a P95 for a while, too, and it was accurate and reliable, but I never carried it, so I sold it. It wasn't much lighter than the P85 on my hip and wasn't much easier to hide, either. I sorta like the aluminum frame Rugers cause I love the Hogue finger groove grips made for 'em, but I had a Handall on that P95 and it was comfy enough to shoot.

MCgunner
December 14, 2005, 10:31 PM
Apparently there are more than just me and the other guy as the idiot. Includes the RO, the other guy's friend as well. :rolleyes:
There are some guns that just not as accurate as others. You know it as well as I do. Ruger is one of them.

My P90 will group under 2" with most loads off sand bags at 25 yards. My P95 and my P85 will both shoot 2.5" with their better loads and I haven't fired a load that would shoot worse than 3" in either one. Couldn't quite get that sub 2" out of them, but hey, they're not bullseye guns, they're service guns. And, I don't call that "spray and pray". I can keep 'em in the 10 ring at 25 yards off hand firing deliberately and placing my shots. I've won a lot of matches with the P90 and shoot it qualifying. Always shoot 250 out of 250. I'm sure the Beretta is a good gun, but I don't think it'd be any better than my P90 for accuracy, 'cause I've shot a lot of guns and that one's a tack driver for an out of the box service gun. My p85 is only marginally less accurate if you pick your ammo and it's not inaccuate with about anything I've fired out of it.

JohnKSa
December 14, 2005, 10:37 PM
There are some guns that just not as accurate as others. You know it as well as I do. Ruger is one of them.I've owned 4 or 5 Ruger centerfire autos. They're not the most accurate guns on the market in my personal experience, but "shotgun patterns at 10 yards" is a serious exaggeration.

thebaldguy
December 14, 2005, 10:38 PM
Ruger P series are tough to beat. Take your choice of caliber - 9MM, .45 Auto, .40 S&W and action - DAO, Decocker only, or safety/decocker. Or alloy or polymer frame. They work well, and are close to half the price of a Beretta. 15 round factory magazines are reasonably priced. Get a Ruger first, then save some money and buy a Beretta.

poppy
December 15, 2005, 12:00 AM
Hey guys, give it up. The thread was started on July 13, 2004. If the guy hasn't decided by now, more posts won't help him. Oh, BTW, Ruger. poppy

TC-TX
December 15, 2005, 12:42 AM
BHP or Glock...

'nuff sed...

:)

IndianaDean
December 15, 2005, 01:03 AM
Hey guys, give it up. The thread was started on July 13, 2004. If the guy hasn't decided by now, more posts won't help him. Oh, BTW, Ruger. poppy

That's what happens when the eyes start goin....

JohnKSa
December 15, 2005, 01:42 AM
Hey guys, give it up.Other people are still reading this thread. They might as well read good information. ;)

BamBam-31
December 15, 2005, 02:29 AM
Go with Rugger, it's easier to spell!

Classic. :D

TimboKhan
December 15, 2005, 02:57 AM
I don't have any particular issues with the Beretta, and if thats what you ultimatly choose, more power to you, but by god, even the Ruger haters out there will agree that they are strong, strong, strong. The fact that you can pick one up for literally half the price of a Beretta might help too. If your more into the Beretta looks, but the price puts you off, consider a Taurus version. Only a few slight differences (to include a frame mounted safety, which I actually like better), and mine is my most accurate handgun outside of my MkII.

IndianaDean
December 15, 2005, 03:09 AM
I had the Taurus PT92 for awhile. I thought it was just as good as a 92fs.

Big Mike
December 15, 2005, 04:02 AM
Equal. Find the one that fits your hand the best. Price factor favors the Ruger. Mike

Tomcat1066
December 15, 2005, 06:34 AM
CZ

The only way to go ;)

Tom

Universal
December 15, 2005, 09:27 AM
Of the two I would recommend the Beretta. However, I would suggest you take a look at the GLOCK 17 as well.

The Reverend
December 15, 2005, 09:55 AM
Neither;)

Both of these pistols represent the least efficient size to caliber ratio I can think of aside from maybe the SIG P210.

I would think CZ-75/85, Glock, or even XD would be better choices and might even save you a few buck in the long run with which you can purchase more ammo.

God Bless!

JamisJockey
December 15, 2005, 10:12 AM
Both are very different guns, IMHO. The Ruger has alot wider profile and grip than the Beretta.
I owned a P95 for a long time, and put alot of ammo through it. Got only a few jams, usually when the gun was dirty.

Consider a few other brands. The price range between the Ruger and the Beretta puts alot of guns inbetween. Springfield, Glock, Sig, and a few others.

chopinbloc
December 15, 2005, 10:48 AM
ruger. strong, reliable and accurate to boot.

Radagast
December 16, 2005, 01:43 AM
Ruger is Rugged.
Glock is Good.
Beretta is Better.

Nematocyst
December 16, 2005, 01:57 AM
I see no one has yet suggested the Kahr K9.

Please allow me to do so.

This is especially relevant if you have smaller than average hands, like me.

Quality gun.

Good luck with your choice.

Rest assured that you can't go wrong with a 9.

Nem

Manedwolf
December 16, 2005, 09:38 AM
I need a very strong and reliable 9mm pistol. Looked at a Ruger and a Beretta today. The Beretta is more money, but the price will not be the deciding factor.

Beretta 92FS, I'd say.

Manedwolf
December 16, 2005, 09:39 AM
Tamara's rule is that someone will say "Get a Glock" within 5 replies. You are two replies late, and short on verbiage. Please follow established protocol. Thank you.:p

I've noticed that Glock owners tend to be like people who are a little too into Macintosh computers, it's sort of like an evangelistic religion. :scrutiny:

Manedwolf
December 16, 2005, 09:42 AM
If you don't mind Plastic guns, the Glock 19 is the best 9mm out there.

Your impression. I've fired them, not impressed, felt like handling a dollar-store plastic tool, HATED the grip, and the "safety" makes me nervous. Also too darned blocky for comfortable concealed carry.

Of 9mms I've tried, I'd put the Beretta 92 way above it, as well as the CZs and Kahrs..the latter especially for CCW.

nero45acp
December 16, 2005, 09:53 AM
SIG P226 ST

nero

MCgunner
December 16, 2005, 10:35 AM
Hi Point is best. :cool:

WarMachine
December 16, 2005, 10:53 AM
I was going to go for Beretta, until they started throwing in all the plastic. Now, plastic has proven itself to be more than durable for most situations, but the problem I have with Beretta is that they did this undoubtedly to save on cost, but they have done nothing to lower the MSRP from what I've seen.

And my local academy sells the more expensive Inox version with the Hogue rubber grips for 10 dollars LESS than the standard Bruniton version; both of which are sitting right beside one another in the case :confused:

I don't know what the world is coming to...

GunAdmirer
December 16, 2005, 04:27 PM
If money is not an object . . . Beretta. The Beretta is more refined and smoother to operate. I have nothing against Rugers, though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need a strong & reliable 9mm; Ruger or Beretta?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!