News report that made me say ***?

PDA

BrokenPaw
July 15, 2004, 01:36 PM
I was listening to the station-break news blurbs on WTNT here in the Washington DC area just a few minutes ago, and I heard something that completely and utterly baffles me. The news report said that Fairfax County Police are concerned because there have been three (!) incidents recently where private citizens have been spotted walking around in public places wearing (gasp) handguns[0]. The report went on to say that "It is now legal to carry a gun around in Virginia, though not in neighboring DC and Maryland."

First of all, they're ignoring the fact that it's been legal to carry openly in Virginia for a very long time. Second, why is it relevant to the story to mention that it's not legal in DC or Maryland? The people in question weren't carrying in DC or Maryland. They were carrying in Virginia. :rolleyes:

And third, third, third...why the heck is the police expressing "concern" over people doing something that's legal?

WildAlaska, I know you think carrying openly is absurd. Let's leave that argument out of the debate this time...it's been done to death. K? ;)

-BP

[0] At least one of which has been reported here, by the perp himself. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "News report that made me say ***?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cuchulainn
July 15, 2004, 01:41 PM
Let me guess, you subscribe to the Washington Times rather than the Washington Post ;)

See: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91788

BrokenPaw
July 15, 2004, 01:49 PM
Let me guess, you subscribe to the Washington Times rather than the Washington Post Heh. I don't have time to read a paper. I get my news from The High Road. :D

-BP

R.H. Lee
July 15, 2004, 01:53 PM
I hope its Pink Pistols. That will put the lefty's panties in a wad.:D

Old Partner
July 15, 2004, 02:29 PM
I have seen people (myself included) carrying openly here as well.

Also, I have noticed that all of the animals here in Arizona are walking around completely naked. Shocking!

Is there any wonder that more and more people are getting just a bit tired of "The Authorities"?? :banghead:

Ultima-Ratio
July 15, 2004, 03:33 PM
FOX had a story about a gent that beat his 2yr old son to death, POS broke nearly every bone in the boys body fercristsakes
Anyhoo, his defence TEAM is attemping to use this case for precident in the courts by claiming.....ya ready? P.T.S.S.
That's Post Traumatic Slavery Syndrome....

jnojr
July 15, 2004, 03:46 PM
FOX had a story about a gent that beat his 2yr old son to death, POS broke nearly every bone in the boys body fercristsakes
Anyhoo, his defence TEAM is attemping to use this case for precident in the courts by claiming.....ya ready? P.T.S.S.

I'm just wondering when I can start collecting checks for my disability. You see, I'm crippled by extreme laziness... I just want to get up at noon and then lay around reading books and watching TV. That has to be a disease of some sort! What kind of syndrome is that???

Fly320s
July 15, 2004, 03:51 PM
I'm just wondering when I can start collecting checks for my disability. You see, I'm crippled by extreme laziness... I just want to get up at noon and then lay around reading books and watching TV. That has to be a disease of some sort! What kind of syndrome is that???
That would be Pre-Traumatic Stress Syndrome. That's when the mere idea of having to get off the couch can cause severe stress, laziness, and procrastination.

In many adult males, Pre-TSS is induced by weekends, beer, and sporting events all occuring on the same day.

Good luck on treatment for your misunderstood condition.;)

Treylis
July 15, 2004, 07:44 PM

The fact that such a claim wouldn't be laughed out of court out of hand is a sad testament to the current state of our society.

Werewolf
July 15, 2004, 08:07 PM
I'm just wondering when I can start collecting checks for my disability. You see, I'm crippled by extreme laziness... I just want to get up at noon and then lay around reading books and watching TV. That has to be a disease of some sort! What kind of syndrome is that??? :D Personaly...
I'm waiting for the powers that be to declare being an a'hole as a disability. I mean think about how tough a'holes have it. Really - it's a disability and a'holes should be able to collect SSI for it. After all if the rest of us - uhhh I mean you - who aren't a'holes would just give us a chance...

Standing Wolf
July 15, 2004, 08:46 PM
Yeah, Virginians are "taking advantage of the open carry loophole."

JPL
July 15, 2004, 09:02 PM
I was fairly amused at the police Lt.'s saying that because crime is down in the county he really hopes that no one feels the need to carry a gun.

I wonder when he's going to turn his in?

pinblaster
July 15, 2004, 09:25 PM
Me too

Spot77
July 15, 2004, 09:35 PM
If I'm not mistaken, all of the people spotted open carrying were members of the VCDL (Virginia Citizens' Defense League.)

I'm not sure it's a good thing to constantly bring this to the attention of the media. They'll blow it out of context, and before you know it the soccer mommies will be screaming to ban open carry, ccw, water pistols, and everything else they can think of.

With ccw, most people are of the sheep mindset..."I don't see his gun, I don't see his gun, I don't see his gun...therefore there is no gun."

JPL
July 15, 2004, 09:37 PM
Let them scream.

It's what soccer moms are best at (God I hope my wife doesn't see this!)

hammer4nc
July 15, 2004, 10:43 PM
"What's that sound?" (I think I just heard a paradigm shift...)

The naysayers are awfully quiet :D :D :D :D :D

Standing Wolf
July 15, 2004, 11:13 PM
I have a hunch the presstitutes of the Washington <I>Post</I> and a few other leftist extremist so-called "news" papers are spending quite a bit of time following the threads both here and at http://www.packing.org

I think they're picking up bits of news and leads, then rushing to press with their hoplophobic slant on events in the hope of scaring the citizenry into voting for politicians advocating more so-called "gun control."

Muzzleflash
July 15, 2004, 11:20 PM
What was that pop?

A paradigm shifting without a clutch. ;)

fjolnirsson
July 15, 2004, 11:21 PM
They're "ruining it for everybody".
How dare people exercise their rights!
They just do it for attention.
It's to compensate for a lack elsewhere.
It's stupid.
They shouldn't complain when they end up with a boot on their neck/guns pointed at them by police.
Decent people don't need to see that $$#$.
A criminal can just take that gun away from you, ya know.

Sorry, the usual batch of naysayers hasn't shown up yet, so I'm filling in for them.
:evil:

JPL
July 15, 2004, 11:35 PM
You forgot "I don't care if it's against the law, it's wrong."

ravinraven
July 16, 2004, 09:04 AM
"... I just want to get up at noon and then lay around reading books and watching TV. That has to be a disease of some sort! What kind of syndrome is that???"

"What kind of syndrome is that???" That is what's called MMLASAS.

Mike Moore Look Alike Sound Alike Syndrome.

There. Did that cure you?

rr

cosmonick
July 17, 2004, 12:34 PM
Heres an article on this topic:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,125849,00.html

Mo

JohnBT
July 17, 2004, 03:24 PM
I'm surprised Fairfax County doesn't tax guns carried openly. They could call it a display or advertising tax. Ooooh, personal property tax would do. I'm sure they've thought of it and couldn't make it work. It takes a lot of public services to keep 1 million residents happy.

And remember, the D.C. suburbs are better than the rest of Virginia. Go ahead, ask 'em where they live..."Northern Virginia" (To be fair, a great many Montgomery County residents had the same airs of importance when I lived in Maryland.)

A county just to the south of Richmond used to show up on bumper stickers around town..."Don't Fairfax Chesterfield"

John

jefnvk
July 17, 2004, 03:52 PM

Sorry, but last I knew it isn't a disability if the majority of the population is striken with it.

lee n. field
July 17, 2004, 06:37 PM
I'm just wondering when I can start collecting checks for my disability. You see, I'm crippled by extreme laziness..

My wife calls it "Motivational Arrest, the Great Crippler of Young Adults"

As we wander even further off topic. . . .

Ky Larry
July 18, 2004, 09:20 PM
Was it Col. Cooper who said "An armed society is a polite society"?

Treylis
July 18, 2004, 10:14 PM

Thomas Jefferson.

mtnbkr
July 19, 2004, 11:28 AM
..."Don't Fairfax Chesterfield"

Too late.

I lived there in the late 80s and go back from time to time to visit my wife's relatives. I don't even recognize the place anymore.

Chris

Edward429451
July 19, 2004, 12:20 PM

Thomas Jefferson.

I thought it was Robert Heinlein.

BryanP
July 19, 2004, 01:03 PM
I thought it was Robert Heinlein.

You think correctly. It was neither Cooper nor Jefferson. It was Robert Heinlein speaking through the character Lazarus Long in the book "Time Enough For Love."

lee n. field
July 19, 2004, 01:10 PM
You think correctly. It was neither Cooper nor Jefferson. It was Robert Heinlein speaking through the character Lazarus Long in the book "Time Enough For Love."

Hamilton Felix, in Beyond This Horizon

BryanP
July 19, 2004, 01:31 PM
Whoops. It has been a while since I read that one. Guess I need to pull it off the shelf and re-read it.

If you enjoyed reading about "News report that made me say ***?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!