.40SW downloaded, to how low?

PDA

twoblink
July 16, 2004, 11:58 AM
I'm wondering, if I wanted to eventually handload, and load some "practice light rounds", about how low can you download the .40S&W until you start to lose reliability or cyclability?

Down to 9mm levels?

Down to 38Spl levels??

If you enjoyed reading about ".40SW downloaded, to how low?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
usp_fan
July 16, 2004, 01:07 PM
You can load 155 grn bullets to around 900 fps and still have reliablility out of my H&K uspc. It is a very mild load to shot.

I guess my point is, every gun will be different depending on your springs, your grip, and other factors that influence cycling.

I would use the starting load in your load manual of choice as a good place to begin. I'd probable never see a need to go lower than the starting load.

You don't want to risk a bullet stuck in the barrel.

Starting loads tend to be very mild, conserve powder, and many times are extremely accurate.

--usp_fan

mrapathy2000
July 16, 2004, 01:49 PM
you can get lighter springs and make lighter loads.

check load books. work your way down to find out how low the pistol will go before it stops cycling.

just curious twoblink you still have a steyr M40? been reading old TFL post.

lightest gr bullet for target loads is 135. few companies make specialty bullets lighter.

depending on the pistol could feal like you were shooting 9mm. heck federal Hydrashock 135gr does feal like 9mm though to expensive to practice with.

better place to ask would be the handload section.

Norm Lee
July 16, 2004, 06:35 PM
Here's a load right in the ball park of usp_fan's fine recommendation:

3.8 gr V V N310 under a 155 gr bullet (precision rn are very sweet). OAL at 1.153". If you must load shorter, use a little less powder. Accurate, soft shooting.

Cheers,

Norm

twoblink
July 17, 2004, 12:40 PM
Yep, still own a Steyr M40.. It's living with Oleg right now..

I'm curious, because logistically, I would like my gf to use a .40 as well, but I'm thinking it might be a bit heavy to start off with, and so eventually I'd like to hand crank out a few practice loads, until she's got the recoil part down..

Black Snowman
July 17, 2004, 12:57 PM
Just start her out on a DEagle .50 AE then the full power .40s will seem like pussycats ;)

Just kidding of course.

I've loaded light target loads that still functioned well in my Glock 24P. I believe they were either 165 gr or 180 gr Rainier Truncated Cones loaded with 5.2 gr of Universal with CCI small pistol primers and mixed brass. Don't know velocity because I didn't have a chrono back then but I could double tap like a fiend :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about ".40SW downloaded, to how low?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!