Best shops in your state?

PDA

Monkeyleg
July 16, 2004, 06:50 PM
I hope the moderators will permit this thread. Over on the Handguns: General Discussion forum, there was a thread about good gun shops in Albuqurque, NM. I posted a shop that I have on my site (Gunshopfinder.com (http://www.gunshopfinder.com) ), and there were posts about other good shops in the area.

That got me to thinking that I might do better to call shops that are highly recommended first for my site, rather than just calling from the online Yellow Pages. Right now I'm having to wade through dozens of lumps of coal to find one diamond.

So, with the moderators' permission, let me ask this question: which shops in your area do you think are good? Factors would include price, service, selection, attitude, friendliness, range facilities, and so on. Please also include the city and state where the shop is located.

Thanks for any replies.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best shops in your state?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Das Pferd
July 16, 2004, 07:17 PM
Gretas Guns in Simi Valley Ca has always been very helpful. I onyl buy ammunition through them so far.

Agoura Hills Shooting range is also a nice place as long as you dont buy their reloads.

Bear Arms in Scottsdale Arizona, Shooters World (also called The SPortsmen) in Phoenix Arizona

Have you tried using Davidsons store finder?

41mag
July 16, 2004, 07:21 PM
Al & Bob's in grand rapids mi
small selection(maybe 50-60 handguns & the same for long guns)-mainly a general sporting goods store not gun specific.
they are VERY friendly & will order what you want
IIRC they,and Bullocks;) are already on your list
The best two IMO in West Mi are On Target in Kalamazoo Mi 269*375*4570
(luv the #:) )
several hundred hanguns,rifles,shotguns,pellet guns,& bp.in house gunsmithing too.good prices & friendly,knowledgeable staff.they listen & answer questions well.lots of black rifles & the like.They have the biggest gun selection I've yet seen.

& Bobs' Gun & Tackle in Hastings Mi.269*945*4106
Again,they cover all the bases,including archery & will allow test firing outdoors.they remind me alot of a Bass Pro Shops type store.also have gunsmithing inhouse.If I had to guess there are probably 250+handguns & at least that in long guns on display
The final one I'd recommend is Silver Bullet Firearms in Wyoming Mi
silverbulletfirearms.com
Normally I'd be a bit wary of the new guy(they've on been around a couple of years)but the place is clean,well lit,amply staffed of friendly,helpful people & they are the only place in W.Mi with an indoor range.(12 lanes)
They also have a decent selection &,I understand,will order what you want.
There is also D,S,&G OF Holland on Chicago Drive in Grand Rapids & Steve's Gun & Archery also in GR.

George S.
July 16, 2004, 08:57 PM
East County Guns in Elma, WA www.eastcountyguns.com This shop is operated by a very nice young guy and his wife who originally started out selling hunting rifles and shotguns online from his garage as a part time job. He opened a store last year and now works full time as a gunstore owner.

I have purchased 3 pistols and a rifle from him and each time I was treated with respect and even as a friend. He is honest in his dealings which is something that's very refreshing today. He will take the time to talk to you and to give advice even if it costs him a sale or a smaller profit.

He still does internet sales and the prices on his website are very competitive.

Monkeyleg
July 17, 2004, 01:21 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Please keep them coming. In many states, such as Michigan, I only got as far as the end of the "B's" in the Yellow pages. Obviously there's more good shops on down the line alphabetically.

Das Pferd, I'll go to any resource I can find eventually. But there's more shops to be found in the Yellow pages than those participating in Davidson's marketing venture (a good one, I should add).

I tried for days on end to get through to Bear Arms in AZ, and never got though to a human. Just voicemail, even if I punched the number for Sales.

Shop owners outside the Scottsdale area tell me there's an attitude that exists around there. Don't know if that's true or not, but I'll find out in time.

Here's the weird thing. You'd think that calling shops in Arkansas or New Mexico would be harder than bigger states like Oregon or Minnesota. Yet Oregon and Minnesota were the toughest. I have no idea why, other than the economic climate in Oregon I'm told is terrible, and the attitude toward guns isn't friendly. That's just what I'm told.

The absolute best shops to call are down in the Southeast. Being born and raised in the Midwest, I'm just not accustomed to being called "sir." And, even better, all the women call me "honey."

You know, I could get used to that real quick. ;)

Finch
July 17, 2004, 01:36 AM
Here in vegas, there is a new store that just opened. Citadel Gun & Safe. Good prices and very nice staff.

MNCCW
July 17, 2004, 01:41 AM
Id suggest Bill's in Robbinsdale, they have always been helpful, and have a very good selection, not only of firearms, but for accessories.

Bill's Gun Shop & Range
4080 W Broadway Ave
Robbinsdale, MN 55422
(763) 533-9594
http://www.billsgs.com

I've heard pretty good things about Armored Fire in blaine, but haven't ever been there.

Armored Fire Gun Shop & Range
3621 88 Ave NE
Blaine, MN 55014 - 4107
(763) 792-4867
http://www.armored-fire.com

And I have to mention the local shop, it's the only actual gun shop in Minneapolis, the selection is small, and there isn't a range, but the owner is good guy, and has been helpful every time I go there.

Koscielski's Guns and Ammo
MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55408
(612) 827-3832

Treylis
July 17, 2004, 03:10 AM
Scottsdale Gun Center and Bear Arms in Arizona. Bear Arms has better selection--and weird service, one time I talked to a guy there and he was a total, uh, not nice guy, but most of the time it was fine--but SGC has some pretty amazing prices on things.

joab
July 17, 2004, 10:54 AM
Buffalo Bill's Shooting Store in Winter Park Fla
Although predominately a CAS and Muzzle loading store they will order anything you want and have no problem doing $25 transfers for you, and Dick is one of the friendliest people you will ever meet

A&N Sports in Sanford Fla
Pretty good selection and prices ( I bought my Randal 1911 for $450)
Full stock of used and C&R type guns
They even have the traiditional oldsters corner, where the old guys sit and dispense their wisdom, I think they even have a checker board

Pace Outfitters in Altamonte
Geared more to LEOs but commoners are welcome.
Full selection of gear and guns and they, on several occasions, have gone out of their way to find stuff, that probably gave them about $10 in revenue, for me

Apopka Gun and Pawn
Obviously not a real gun store but there are 2 very knowledgeable guys there and it's a great place to hang out for a short while. They have held stuff for me that they knew I would be interested in. And they reward good patronage with little perks and discounts, not much just enough to show that they appreciate you.

freedomlover
July 17, 2004, 01:50 PM
Trade Winds Pawn & Gun in Navarre, Florida. Good selection, good prices, special orders. Miles (the owner) likes Glocks, but other than that he's a good guy. ;>)

Monkeyleg
July 17, 2004, 07:29 PM
Some great recommendations. On the next go-round of phone calls (once I finish all fifty states) in a couple of months, I'll have to call those MN shops. It took me two days to get eight shops in Illinois, and several days to get just four in Minnesota. Don't know why.

I'll be calling Florida soon, so the mention of those shops is much appreciated.

0luke1
July 17, 2004, 07:36 PM
Caso's Gun-a-Rama in Jersey City, NJ. Great guy.

MikeJ
July 17, 2004, 08:16 PM
I have to go along with Treylis with Bear Arms and Scottsdale Gun Center. BTW, I think I know the guy you are talking about at Bear Arms, how he keeps that job is beyond me. The Phoenix metropolitan area actually has several good gun shops, it just depend on what you are looking for. Thre's a place called Randall's in Glendale where I've always been treated very well although their selection is very limited. Lonewolf is great for discount prices on Glocks, Rugers and S&W revolvers. Legendary guns caters to the CAS crowd and has a very good selection but their prices can be way out of line at times. I've always been able to negotiate a better deal there but I really don't like having to do that. The Pistol Parlor in Mesa is another one I would recommend if you are out that way. Not a huge selection but nice and knowledgeable folks. I just recently stopped by the new Sportsman's Warehouse on 27th Ave. near the 101 and saw a couple of salesman I had dealt with before at other shops. I have to say I was amazed at the level of customer service there. It was very professional, friendly and they acted like it was a real job, not just some gig where they could indulge themselves in their hobby. I also found their pricing to be extremely competitive.

Nathaniel Firethorn
July 17, 2004, 09:58 PM
Sportsmen's Center in Bordentown, NJ.

If you call it a state. :scrutiny:

Never been to Caso's.

- pdmoderator

jefnvk
July 18, 2004, 12:15 AM
In Michigan, go to Jay's Sporting Goods. They have a store in Clare and Gaylord. They aren't usually the best in price, but are fair. And, the staff is knowledgable. If the salesperson doesn't know what you need to know, they will get someone who does. And, the have thousands of guns in stock. There is no rifle range on site, only archery. Their archery department also rocks. http://www.jayssportinggoods.com

Also, Joe Gun in Sanford. Always helpful and friendly. Not a huge selection, but one can find good deals hidden in there. Again, no shooting range on site.

aerod1
July 18, 2004, 01:01 AM
McClelland's in Dallas, TX
Bullet Trap in Plano, TX
Fountain Firearms in Houston TX
Armory in Mesquite, TX

Nick1911
July 18, 2004, 01:58 AM
Plainfield Shooting Supplies
3735 Shady Lane
Plainfield, IN 46168
317-839-6095

A good shop, customer service can be lacking at times, however this small shop has great prices and Bob Cheek will work with you.

Nick

Dbl0Kevin
July 18, 2004, 02:16 AM
Hague's Indoor Range/Shop
700 Crown Point Rd.
Thorofare, NJ
(856)251-9099

Best place goin in all of South Jersey. Just bought two guns there in the past couple weeks and they have excellent prices as well as great service and an indoor range right on site. The owner told me he'll be gettin in a shipment of used AR-15's in that'll be goin for about $499 if anybody is lookin for a post-ban bushmaster. Can't get a much better deal than that! :what:

Okiecruffler
July 18, 2004, 02:38 AM
I buy most of my stuff at Outdoor America in OKC. Great prices, service can be on the crappy side (Ross is a good guy tho').

Mustang Gun and Pawn has good prices, a huge selection of used stuff, and good service.

Brigadoon's in Del City has fair prices, good service and a pretty good selection of C&R stuff.

Dionysusigma
July 18, 2004, 06:02 AM
^^^What he said. ;)

TomSwift
July 18, 2004, 06:29 AM
For Middle Tennessee it would have to be Franklin Gun Shop in Franklin (just south of Nashville). Great selection, very friendly and helpful staff (family owned/operated). Gunsmith on staff.

Treylis
July 18, 2004, 08:30 AM
I have to go along with Treylis with Bear Arms and Scottsdale Gun Center. BTW, I think I know the guy you are talking about at Bear Arms, how he keeps that job is beyond me.

Yeah, it was weird... I called up to price check on a 1911 and SGC had it for almost 150 bucks less just on the tag. That was a pretty big difference, so I asked the guy from BA if he'd meet or beat it. He got all irritated at me and said: "Well, gee, if they have such a great price, just buy it from them! I don't know where they're getting that from at that price." Sheesh. I said thanks anyways and hung up.

They were very nice about a return on a SureFire after the lamp assembly died almost immediately after purchase, though.

And, yeah, Phoenix metro has great gunshops, but they're all spread out horribly and different ones are better at different things.

ssr
July 18, 2004, 08:52 AM
Olde English Outfitters, just outside Dayton, Ohio

http://www.oldeenglishoutfitters.com/

berettaman
July 18, 2004, 09:05 AM
SportsWorld in Tulsa is a long time favorite of mine.A high end rifle and shotgun dealer but they stock for the everyday man too.Great prices on handguns is what brings me back.Service is impecable.

Lash's Gun Shop.(Tulsa)Very wide selection of of almost every gun on the market.Price's can be a tad on the high side but they are always willing to let you fondle anything as much as you want.Starting to get a few Mil-surps too.

Oklahoma Police Supply.(Tulsa)Large amount of police trade in's at reasonable prices.Some folk are a bit intimidated by the number of cruisers parked out front during the day but cops have to shop too.

You cant swing a dead cat without hitting a pawn shop in this area.Too many to name but you have to be a keen shopper to find a deal.

Nando Aqui
July 18, 2004, 09:18 AM
In the greater St. Louis, MO, area - I recommend:

Mike's Guns
1964 Old Hwy 94 South
St. Charles, MO
636-949-8764

Moderators:
Could we have a permanent (but dynamic) list of guns shops that members of THR have recommended, sorted by state?

Alex

who me
July 18, 2004, 09:27 AM
There's a couple that I go to that are pretty decent on prices and provide good customer service.

Discount Hunting & Fishing Supplies
5497 Lakeland Dr.
Jackson, MS

Surplus City (has indoor range also)
Clinton, MS
Don't have an address for this one.

There's several more I can list that I haven't been to if you need me to list them.

kwelz
July 18, 2004, 12:28 PM
State? Heck we have one of the best in the world around here. Keisler Police Supply is only 20 minutes from my house. They are one of the largest in the world. Numerous Government contracts etc. Their showroom is huge and has everything from old Sharps to tricked out AR15s and everything in between. Great people there too. FUn to work with..

jeff-10
July 18, 2004, 12:37 PM
E.W. Revere Gun Range, Inc.
601 NE 28 St.
Pompano Beach, FL 33064
954-942-3777

Maybe not the best in my area but I cannot find a better one is Broward County. It does have a small indoor range, gunsmith and knowlegable staff. Some of my friends seem to have better luck in the Miami-Dade area. If anyone knows a really good one In Broward County in South Florida please post it. Thx.

cratz2
July 18, 2004, 05:35 PM
Plainfield Shooting Supplies in Plainfield, IN... Next to Galyans (or the soon to be ex-Galyans) is the best. Great service, the best prices, good deals on trades and transfers for repeat customers.

Bradis in Camby and Albros in Beech Grove are both worthy of attention depending on what you're looking for but I've always thought of Plainfield as the best overall.

There's also a shop down in Jeffersonville or Clarksville (actually right outside of Louisville, KY) that is probably the largest shop in the state. HUGE selection but prices are not usually very attractive and the bargainable prices range dramatically from worker to worker. I guess they do a lot of LEO sales and internet sales. Worth the trip even if just to look.

There's a shop at the south end of Greenwood called The Outdoorsman, I think. I've literally gone in there probably 20 times and I have NEVER been asked if I could be assisted. NEVER! They don't look snobish but I guess I look too poor or too unrefined to have owen 50 or more guns.

:rolleyes:

Monkeyleg
July 18, 2004, 07:04 PM
I guess it's time for me to chime in on my own thread. ;)

In Milwaukee:

The Shooters Shop. They tend to be more pricey than other shops, but they have more high-end guns than other shops: Wilson's, Ed Brown's, Les Baer's, etc. They also stock a lot of high-end, limited edition and custom knives. Their range facility, while only having seven bays, is probably the best in the area.

Badger Outdoors. They carry more moderately-priced guns (Kimber is probably the most expensive pistol line the stock), but their prices are very good. Glocks for about $475-$480. The also have an eighteen-bay range, and you can shoot all day for $8. The staff is friendly, although there are days when they get stressed and a little cranky.

Fletcher Arms in Waukesha. The shop has that dimly-lit feel that so many do, but the people there--especially John and Terry--are really super. The range facility is good, too.

threefeathers
July 18, 2004, 09:24 PM
I Southern AZ Jensons, Slash K, and Murphy's in Tucson. All Custom, Trailboss, and Defensive Firearms in Sierra Vista, and the Base and Post Sportsmans Clubs at Ft. Huachuca and Davis Monthan,

Werewolf
July 18, 2004, 10:35 PM
NOTE: I've been buying firearms for almost 30 years. It has been my experience that firearms sales people are either stupid or a'holes or in some extreme cases both. I've been in OKC for 18 of the last 30 years and the sales people here aren't any different from those in other states where I lived and purchased firearms. The fact that the preponderance of reports below indicates that OKC gunshops people suck in no way means they are in fact different/worse thangun shop people in other states I've bought firearms in (VA, FL, SC, TX).

Oklahoma City:

Outdoor America Store: Wide selection - best prices in OK on just about anything firearm related, knives, archery equipment, clothing etc. The sales people are in general, morons but well meaning ones. The customer service folks in the back are super. Will do transfers for $25

H&H Gun Range: Good Selection. Prices good but not as good as ODAS. Sales people are arrogant ???????s but fairly knowledgeable. Gunsmith is a good guy who knows his stuff he's just afraid to do it.

Brigadoon: Good selection of MilSurp Rifles. Poor selection of handguns. Family owned and operated. The wife understands about customer service. The husband who is the FFL owner knows about 1/10th of what he thinks he knows and though he tries hard not to be is pretty much a prick. Decent prices on ammo and usually has a variety of mil-surp ammo on hand at prices better than you can get on the internet if you consider internet shipping costs.

C&J's: Good Selection of firearms - lousy selection of overpriced ammo. Will do special orders and claims they'll beat everyone elses prices (at least until you check ODAS and ask them to beat their price). Has a decent selection of Mil-Surp long arms but they must think they're made out of gold considering what they charge for them. Lousy on site customer service but so what - this shop just feels like a gun shop ought to.

Gunworld: As I think Okiecruller once said "These guys ought to wear eye patches, a scarf on their heads and wear swords" not guns (which they carry openly in the shop). In other words unless you really know how to bargain and are willing to walk away don't shop here unless you just have money to burn because the prices are outrageous (try $230+ for a HighPoint 9mm). The old guy in charge is a total moron (he's so freaking dumb I don't know how he even gets up in the morning and figures out how to get dressed - wife probably dresses him). There's two young guys who handle most of the customers. The young one is OK and will work with you but if you try to bargain with him he crries and whines about not making a profit, this and that. The other guy is just a prick albeit a fairly knowledgeable one who I just ignore. They don't carry very many NIB handguns but will do orders and they take 1 to 2 days to deliver. They have a very good selection of long guns. Ammo is so over priced that I don't even bother asking any more. They have a wide selection of collector hand guns some of which are pretty rare. Gunworld is a ripoff joint.

Outdoor Outfitters: Long Guns only. Sales people are arrogant pricks that are pro AWB and don't understand that eventually the rifles and shotguns they sell will be put on THE LIST! I absolutely will not shop there.

Bass Pro: Wanna buy guns at a department store - shop here. Otherwise avoid it. Good prices is about all it has going for it.

Walmart: Super prices on ammo and good prices on long guns. Excellent prices on cleaning stuff. Big hassle to buy from them. I always have to pick up the phone in the sporting goods department and page an associate to sport goods (they hate it when a customer does that).

Wildalaska
July 18, 2004, 10:45 PM
NOTE: I've been buying firearms for almost 30 years. It has been my experience that firearms sales people are either stupid or a'holes or in some extreme cases both. I've been in OKC for 18 of the last 30 years and the sales people here aren't any different from those in other states where I lived and purchased firearms. The fact that the preponderance of reports below indicates that OKC gunshops people suck in no way means they are in fact different/worse thangun shop people in other states I've bought firearms in (VA, FL, SC, TX).

Nice generalization....

Hey Werewolf do me a favor, if your in Alaska, dont stop by, I dont need you to tell me what a stupid a**hole I am, I got plenty of others to do it for me (and they spend money too)...

Bet ya got a lot of friends :)

WildthebusinessisonlyasgoodasthecustomeryoufiggeritoutAlaska

PBIR
July 18, 2004, 10:57 PM
Going to have to side with Alaska on that one. Did it occur to you werewolf that you had at least one insult for every single place you listed? Maybe the problem isn't them guy.

I work as a range officer/ sales associate part time in addition to college. I admit I am ignorant of some of the firearms out there. I have better things to do than spend 16 hours a day pouring over spec sheets and gun rags. However I will do my best to find the correct answer to any question a customer asks me. And I am as kind as the customer allows me to be. Oh, and I also open carry at work (1911 .45 acp for those of you wondering).

:D

glockcrazyjerry
July 18, 2004, 11:27 PM
I live in CT and id have to say the best around where i live is Hoffmans . Hoffmans has a huge selection of everything you could ever want .If they do not have it it doesnt exist.They have Wilsons Les Baers Ed brown stuff to Kimber Glock they have every price range .Rifles are incredible The last time i was thier on the back counter they had to 50bmgs all scoped out with bi pods sitting on the case .They have a huge staff so you never wait for anything and when you ask a question they have a answer . They get all of the money i spend on firearms ...... supplies....and everything else. ID have to say the best place to shoot is CT is a range called Gunsite. Family owned and the owner is the best ! A really great guy ..you could lose hours thier just talking to the guy .He is a trip !! :D

Heysoos
July 18, 2004, 11:51 PM
I'll be honest, I've only been to a couple shops since I've been down here in Fort Worth, Texas, but S&S Firearms treated me real well on my most recent purchase. Apparently, they specialize in Class 3, but didn't hesitate when I wanted to order a MKII. They even quoted me the best price in town and it was obvious they were very enthused about their work :-) Nice to see.

DorGunR
July 19, 2004, 12:00 AM
Scott's Gunsmithing Inc.
231 Thelma Ave
Glen Burnie, MD 21061
tel: 410-761-9815
fax: 410-761-7221

This is a small shop but cant be beat for price, service, selection, attitude, friendliness........plus Scott is a master gunsmith. I don't even bother to go anywhere else.

Warhawk
July 19, 2004, 12:15 AM
Utah

Impact Guns in Ogden

Sportsman's Warehouse in Riverdale

Gallenson's in Salt Lake City

simmonsguns
July 19, 2004, 12:44 AM
around here there arn't to many that have everything in one spot.we don't have new guns on the shelfs,consignments mainly.we are the largest repair shop in the country though.we don't let the owner talk to people much anymore as he has no tact and knows nothing about guns,retired ibm exec.the gunsmiths do the talking and so does our work.the bullit hole out here is a good place,it also has a indoor range.cabellas is out here,they have closed the smaller mom and pop shops but they can't mount a scope to save there lives which is good.at our shop,if we don't have it,we can get it and for a good price,in about two days.so we don't do much with spur of the moment buyers,but we can build a custom barrel set for your red lable,20ga or how about a 416 rigby.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best shops in your state?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!