Which gun.....and a philosophy question

PDA

orangeninja
July 16, 2004, 06:17 PM
Vote on which gun and why.....If you can only have one and it would be carried as a police or security duty weapon and generally only be concealed once in a blue moon.

Philosophy question. If the 1911 is the good guy or the child of light....and the Glock is the dark side.....what is a Beretta?

The reason I ask is Beretta is on just about every police and military movie made except for WW2 flicks of course. The 1911 is a distant second and the Glock is very near the 1911. The Sig is a waaaaayyyyyyy distant third. Etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which gun.....and a philosophy question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
July 16, 2004, 06:29 PM
Gov't Model 1911.

WAY behind on movies, don't buy into marketing hype supported by movies, undercutting bids for contracts for po-po and military just means they got a better deal...not that is the better gun. [ or any other product].

There is hardly anything that some man cannot make cheaper and sell for less. Those whom buy based on price alone - are this man's prey - John Ruskin

BJPARKER
July 16, 2004, 08:32 PM
I voted the Beretta because I have the 96 with night sights and am used to it. just bought a Colt series 80, and hopefully I will become more familiar with the 1911/.45 . I would call Beretta the child of Twilight, because for me, it was the first semi auto I ever shot- in the Army in 86, so most of my autos were chosen because they field stripped similar to the Beretta, I know stupid, but I didn't even realize this until recently. I think Beretta is a compromise between 2 worlds; and now I have a Colt 1911, broke the spell, heehee.:)

Flashpoint
July 16, 2004, 10:34 PM
I picked the Sig

-I like the .40cal
-Sigs are tough and good shooters
-The triggers are good
-I'd rather have 11 .40s than 9 .45s
-I don't care much for Glock triggers though it would be my second choice just because I don't have an experiece with Berrettas

R.H. Lee
July 16, 2004, 10:39 PM
Because the 1911 is All American, tradition, Audie Murphy, 2 Great Wars, and the Glock is, well,........................Steven Seagal?

HSMITH
July 16, 2004, 11:49 PM
The CZ-75 is the best shooter for me out of what you listed. The DW would be the top dog for sure but I have not seen good things from them, and darn sure wouldn't carry one that I had not shot extensively. The 226 and the B96 would be an even race for second, both are fantastic guns but a tad large.

Treylis
July 17, 2004, 12:00 AM
Because the 1911 is All American, tradition, Audie Murphy, 2 Great Wars, and the Glock is, well,........................Steven Seagal?

Actually, Steven Seagal owns many custom 1911s and prefers to use them in his movies.

I still think he's ridiculous, though. ;-)

cratz2
July 17, 2004, 08:10 PM
Of the guns you have listed... for open carry... if they had to be exactly as listed, I'd probably take the Beretta... Should be completely reliable. With good ammo, should be as good a stopper as anything listed. Should be plenty accurate at realistic distances.

I tend to like 1911s and CZs, but of the exact guns you have listed, I'm not crazy about the 1911 and I'd probably rather have a full size gun for open carry... So I'd go for the Beretta.

Parker Dean
July 17, 2004, 10:01 PM
I chose the 1911 more for the fact that 1911's fit me well than for any other reason.

js2013
July 17, 2004, 10:39 PM
"Because the 1911 is All American, tradition, Audie Murphy, 2 Great Wars, and the Glock is, well,........................Steven Seagal?"

Now that was funny! :D

Black Majik
July 18, 2004, 04:47 AM
Why a Dan Wesson? I would pick a 1911 outta the bunch, but I'd go for a Colt or Kimber.

and if caliber doesn't matter, then why is the .40 stated behind the sig and HK?

1911 would be my pick, ALWAYS.

Dionysusigma
July 18, 2004, 05:11 AM
Went with the Beretta b/c I want a 92 Brigadier for myself some day. ;)

JeepDriver
July 18, 2004, 09:43 AM
I voted for the Sig.

But I'm a Sig nut, so my opinion is a little biased :D

tc300mag1
July 18, 2004, 10:02 AM
Id have to go with the dan wesson 1911

litework
July 18, 2004, 10:34 AM
I would have chosen the HK USP over the Dan Wesson if the USP was chambered in .45 rather than .40 S&W. I reluctantly choose the Dan Wesson Patriot. I don't like the .40 caliber and I don't like DA/SA weapons. I would feel safe carrying the Dan Wesson IWB, I wouldn't feel as safe carrying the Glock 21 in this type of holster ( OWB duty holster-yes). I prefer a hammer fired system to a striker fired system, as well. The 1911 points very natural to me and would be the best on your list for me.

PBIR
July 18, 2004, 10:43 AM
and the Glock is, well,........................Steven Seagal?

Nah, the Glock is Ice Cube and Vanilla Ice

twoblink
July 18, 2004, 11:21 AM
Beretta's suck, I'd carry a Steyr... which isn't listed.

DMK
July 18, 2004, 11:32 AM
My post AWB preference would be the CZ-75B in .40S&W. The 1911 would be my choice if it had fixed sights. I'm just not a fan of target sights on a self defense gun.

Kimdo
July 18, 2004, 12:01 PM
Because I have one. It is the most accurate handgun I've ever handled.
I've put 500 rounds through it with out a single problem. That's using 5 different magazines and 4 brands of ammo. I mostly practice with WWW 230gr hardball but have run a box of 3 kinds of JHP through it as well.
It resides under my bed with 9 Tarus copper hollow points in it. A most comforting feeling.
Kim

James Bondrock
July 18, 2004, 12:28 PM

Actually, Steven Seagal shoots 1911s. ;)

Berettas are frequently used on film because they function better with blanks than other makes.

Dobe
July 18, 2004, 01:12 PM
1911. Great gun, proven handgun and design. Proven cartridge. Parts will be easy to find for the next 100 years.

Dobe

Dave Sample
July 18, 2004, 07:19 PM
"None of the Above."

Black Snowman
July 18, 2004, 07:57 PM
I can't vote for any either. Duty gun for me would be an HK USP 45F packing 45 Super hollowpoints.

Berg01
July 19, 2004, 11:09 AM
I picked the Glock 21 because the Sig P220 wasn't (but should be) listed as an option.

CZ52GUY
July 19, 2004, 11:32 AM
I voted for the CZ-75BD. I don't find it to be very heavy...my P220ST, now that has some beef ;) (that would have been a good alternative).

Duty Holsters can be had as can quality Full Caps (hopefully at reduced prices starting 9/14/04). Heavy for 9? Sure, but with training recoil is hardly noticeable.

My 2nd choice would have been the G21. If weight is a concern, this is a lighter .45ACP platform.

I'd want NS on either.

...not sure why the Movie reference...but I think movies simply try to tie in to perception of what popular culture would think is "cool".

Bottom line though, ergonomics...either it fits, or it doesn't...there is no one size fits all autoloader.

Safe shooting,

CZ52'

LynnMassGuy
July 19, 2004, 11:14 PM
S&W 5906. I just love em'!!

9mmepiphany
July 21, 2004, 02:03 PM
the beretta because it is my choice for a duty gun, whereas my department's choice has been the sig 226R.

right out of the box, it has been the most accurate .40 i've handled and has never had a FTF or FTE in over 5K rounds...more than i can say about the sig. not that i'm opinionated, i do love my sig 220 too.

you will see more berettas in movies because they are more reliable... with blanks and when abused/dropped/mishandled. talk to any movie prop master...the dropping-block action of the beretta is just easier to work with than the tilt-barrel

If you enjoyed reading about "Which gun.....and a philosophy question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!