Valuation of luftgewehren?

PDA

El Tejon
July 17, 2004, 11:57 AM
Took in a gun collection here at the Oficina del Tejon this morning (handguns, couple of rimfires, a nice bolt gun and, of course, it's Indiana, a couple of shotguns). It included a pneumatic Sheridan luftgewehr.

I need a value for my good, good friends at the IRS and IDoR. Anyone got a website thingy or a place to ask?

TIA!

If you enjoyed reading about "Valuation of luftgewehren?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BADSBSNF81
July 17, 2004, 12:54 PM
Do a web search for "BB Guns" or "Pe;;et Guns" or something similiar and you should get a starting point. I had a website address at one time that deat only with air powered, but, when Uncle called me the computer went into storage.l

AK103K
July 17, 2004, 06:16 PM
you know that "luftgewehr" is air rifle in German, right? Does it look like this?

http://pix.gunbroker.com/pixhost/2004-02-08/Appleharbor_1076270304_sheridanbluestreak.jpg

lee n. field
July 17, 2004, 07:14 PM
Another gun I've been kind of wanting for a long time. I'll give you $30 for it. :D

Does it hold air? That'll tell you if you need a valve job.

There've been variations over time -- push button safety, rocker safety, now crossbolt safety. Brand new they're on the order of $150.

Unless it's one of the very early Super grade Sheridans, I doubt it has great value.

Let's see. . .http://www.beemans.net/airguncollecting.htm makes some mention of Sheridans. There's also a book out there, Know your Sheridan Rifles and Pistols that abebooks.com knows about 3 copys of. http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?&cm_re=A*Search+Box*Form&ph=2&imageField.y=9&imageField.x=36&tn=know+your+sheridan&sts=t

Also, you might want to look over the American Airguns classified page :http://www.airguns.net/class_ad.html .

SDC
July 17, 2004, 07:19 PM
The same fellow that does "The Blue Book of Gun Values" has the same thing dedicated to airgun values; he should have at least a ballpark figure for one of the earlier (non-Crosman) Sheridans.

El Tejon
July 17, 2004, 07:48 PM
AK, I have a, um, passing familiarity with German. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I meant to say "err raffle," really I did. Please, please, please don't tell the THR Border Guards. They keep a sharp eye out for them thar ferners.:D

Yes, it looks like your pic.

lee, thanks for the links.

SDC, I'll give one of my dealers a call Monday, see if he has a copy of this blue book thingy for luftgewehren (oops, did it again). Thanks.:)

AK103K
July 17, 2004, 08:29 PM
Ja, Ja , Ja I hear ya. I vas yust gettin to checkin das you vernt cornfuzin dem mit der neun und neunzig luft ballons :D

Felonious Monk
July 17, 2004, 08:42 PM
El Tejon,

AK probably should have picked up your reference.

In light of your outspoken disdain for All Things Southern, I find it ironic that, although the poster AK103K states he is from Pennsylvania, you use a feigned, dumbass southern accent to refer to being thick headed and missing the point.

I feel those comments reflect the view of someone who is young, limited in life experience, and intellectually arrogant.

There is no room for the kind of bigotry you perpetuate on THR.
Consider this thread self-reported to the Mods.

FM

twoblink
July 17, 2004, 09:52 PM
El T, Vhere Are your Papers?

:D

My I ask how much the collection set you back in beer money?

El Tejon
July 18, 2004, 12:04 AM
Felonious Monk, I use "raffle" for rifle all the time (and I'm an awful, awful Yankee), just as often as I use luftgewehren. Any reference to any region of the country is YOUR reference, implication, slur and immaturity, not mine.

BTW, AK responded with accented speech. Gonna (more accented speech) report that as well? Think of our German members, and, of course, think of the children.

AK, no problem, just having fun so I use different words for things we say over and over.

two, looks like the err raffle (more accented speech) will be at $90.00.

Exposure
July 18, 2004, 12:18 AM
El Tejon,

AK probably should have picked up your reference.

In light of your outspoken disdain for All Things Southern, I find it ironic that, although the poster AK103K states he is from Pennsylvania, you use a feigned, dumbass southern accent to refer to being thick headed and missing the point.

I feel those comments reflect the view of someone who is young, limited in life experience, and intellectually arrogant.

There is no room for the kind of bigotry you perpetuate on THR.
Consider this thread self-reported to the Mods.

FM

Good lord. Relax a little bit. This is just an internet message board. Is it really worth getting this upset over? And then in reply throwing insulting comments about life experience and intellectual arrogance around to boot???? :confused:

carpettbaggerr
July 18, 2004, 12:35 AM
he is from Pennsylvania Isn't that a dumbass Southern state?
South of me, anyway.

You seem kinda thorny there yourself Monk. Lighten up a little, El Tejon's thinks he's witty, he doesn't mean any harm.

El T -- What's the deal, will work for guns? :D

El Tejon
July 18, 2004, 12:57 AM
BTW, may the record reflect that FM injected the South into this. What he says about the South are his comments and his comments alone.

carpet's right. I don't mean any harm. I was attempting to have fun. I obviously failed miserably and made a fellow board member angry.

FM, I'm sorry I made you mad. I will endeavour not to use accents, foreign words, regionalisms, slang, jargon or colloquialisms. It will be tough, I'll need your help, please.

carpet, think I'm witty?:confused: I've have you know that many young women call me witty and . . . oh, wait, they call me HALF-WIT.:uhoh: Will work for guns--thinking of putting that on my card!

Exposure, oh, there you go reminding us that this is just the Errornet and we should take a break from being hypersensitive.:D

Felonious Monk
July 18, 2004, 01:36 AM
Exposure-- I don't fault you, but you have to understand that you've been around THR long enough to post 35 times as I write this.
That's NO indictment on you (yew reckon I'se using thet indictment word raght, El Tee?), but El Tejon has a LONG history of being more than just a little strident and condescending (kinda like he wuz in thet layust post up thar) towards us dumb hillbillies down here in Dixie. Taken as an isolated incident, his comments were not anything to take issue with...

HOWEVER: In the aggregate, he maintains a history of coming across as an elitist anti-southern bigot who chooses to spew his disdain for All Things Southern across this forum. I simply don't think we need to deal with one another's heritage, racial, ethnic, religious, sexual OR GEOGRAPHIC affiliations in a demeaning fashion, and I'm tired of the continuing low blows.

While the german accent comments Twoblink made were silly and fun, I suspect there's a more insidious bias represented behind El T's comments, as IMO the THR history shows.
El Tejon, if I've read that incorrectly, I apologize.

Would anybody mind if I habitually replied "Yaz'm, Massuh!" and referred to Steppin' Fetchit, Aunt Jemimah, and Lil' Black Sambo, repeatedly in my posts?
I sure hope so! :fire:
There's NO room for that kind of stereotype on THR. :uhoh:

That's how your posts come across, Kirk.
Let's just try and be civil, even with us dumb Southerners, okay? :rolleyes:

That's all I'm gonna say about that. :D
Forrest Monk

firearms_instructor
July 18, 2004, 06:53 AM
"but El Tejon has a LONG history of being more than just a little strident and condescending (kinda like he wuz in thet layust post up thar) towards us dumb hillbillies down here in Dixie."

YES. El Tejon's sig contained, until recently, a quote from an Army officer telling the people of Texas that slavery was officially over, as if to imply that the thick-witted people of Texas were TOO SLOW to get it after all these years. I asked him if he had some beef with Texans (I am one, although I live in Florida). Soon after that the quote disappeared from his sig, but he never replied directly to me.

Recently I inquired as to whether or not we were under martial law. El Tejon's replies sounded sarcastic and condescending. I also have seen in several of his posts an arrogant and condescending bias against the South and Southerners. Here are some direct quotes:

"Maybe cap and ball. That way you can strike up a conversation at the buffet with someone who actually used it against Johnny Reb." (big grin smilie)

"While the Cross of Treason is certainly offensive, ..."

"his would never happen in Tejas!
It's his property and its theft is an attack on his life! I just bought a gun and I want to use it. You can't tell me that I can't go around shooting willy nilly! It's not fair [stomping elf boots]."

"Hey, Officer Cledus Lee!"
"Yes, Sgt. Jasper Lee."
"I reckon it be your turn to warsh up them thar raffle guns. Go pitch 'em the river, boy, just like ya saw on TFL."

Had enough? I'm sure I could find lots more. Well, El Tejon? Do you have a beef with Texans? Or Southerners?

I'm not sure I buy your excuse, "I don't mean any harm. I was attempting to have fun. ". You've been denigrating Southerners for quite a while now. What's up with that?

You come across as arrogant and condescending, particularly towards Southerners. If it's not your intent to imply that you are somehow superior, then IMO your communication style is seriously misrepresenting you.

"Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying"

Treylis
July 18, 2004, 08:20 AM
Good lord. Relax a little bit. This is just an internet message board. Is it really worth getting this upset over?

No, it's not. It's silly and was obviously not meant in any malicious manner.

While I can't speak for the Southerners, I can tell you that at least one of the Germans/German immigrants/German-Americans on this board (me) finds such mockery of our language hilarious and is always amused by it. ;-)

4v50 Gary
July 18, 2004, 12:50 PM
BTW, I have a friend who is visiting the Philippines right now and I'm hoping he can find the Farco airgun factory. I want an uncomplete Farco airshotgun that I can stock and have Bobby Hoyt rifle for me. It'll send a .43 caliber ball down 100 yards but with less accuracy than a 'Bess.

Matt G
July 18, 2004, 01:22 PM
Speaking as a southerner who has been marginalized in the past for having an accent, I actually wasn't in the least offended by El Tejon's remarks.

Accents are funny things. :)

El Tejon
July 18, 2004, 05:55 PM
firearms, you do know what June 19th is, right? A day of celebration of freedom. Something I would have thought everyone at THR would laud, apparently not.

You do know that the quote from the Yankee general which is the rationale for Juneteenth is an actual quote from Texas State Museum in Austin (2d floor), right? I changed it because it was no longer June 19th or thereabouts, for the love of Vishnu!

The Cross of Treason is my name for the battle flag of the CSA. It obviously represents my view of the CSA. As a historian I resent the attempted neo-revisionism movement of the CSA. YMMV.

This would never happen in Tejas(regarding messy problems that allegedly transpire in Texas) is a warning about something I deal with day in and day out, Problem #2, what happens after one uses deadly force against a fellow human being. It is a warning to the . . . overzealous among us and a reminder that the best fight is no fight.

The act of cleaning guns in water was an old subject at TFL, THR's ancestor. I disapprove of the practice then, I disapprove now. However, that's my opinion, and they are not my guns. YMMV.

I make jest of many things: Canadians, Europeans, Southerns, Northerners, Westerners, Hoosiers, Americans, politicians, judges, lawyer organizations, etc., inter alia, et al and until I am told that because of campaign finance reform or Mr. Wolf (btw Volk is wolf in Russian, there I go again with the fun stuff!), as it is his board, tells me to knock it off, I will continue to have fun.

I have no problem with Texicanos. If I did I would not go there to train. I have been there many times, I will continue to do so.

PBIR
July 18, 2004, 06:04 PM
If a yankee makes a disparaging remark about the South, simply remember to consider the source of the comment. By sheer virtue of the yankee's geographical local the comment can be labelled as babbling drivel. :D

entropy
July 18, 2004, 06:22 PM
Can't we all just get along?:rolleyes:

Hmm...Volk in Russian=Wolf Volk in German=Folk, people.
Do the Russians consider the Germans Wolves, or do the Germans consider Russian wolves people? :uhoh: JK, Oleg! ;)

"Y'all have a nice day, now, hear?" :D Note in live in WI. (And born in MN, which is in Canada, according to some Texans I knew when I lived there.:) )

AK103K
July 18, 2004, 06:45 PM
Can't we all just get along?:rolleyes:
Now what fun would that be? :D

El Tejon
July 18, 2004, 06:59 PM
FUN? There's no fun on the Errornet! Oops, I said "Errornet", no doubt that offends someone.

Wipe those grins off and back to being deadly serious Captain Tacticals.

Roadkill
July 18, 2004, 11:07 PM
Damn. I'm a southerner who speaks/reads/writes/translates German. I take no offense of what anyone above the Mason Dixon line says as long as they stay up there.

rk

mfree
July 19, 2004, 09:55 AM
As a southerner who grew up in a double wide trailer with cars on blocks in the yard, and yet now works as a systems analyst and can speak with no discernable accent whatsoever, I can say I simply pay no attention to "southernisms" attributed to me from people who aren't from here and don't know the real truth. (I didn't lose the accent on purpose, mom grew up in New Mexico so I speak like her at times and like good ol' dad at times, when I can be literally unintelligible :)

I know it's all in fun. But the problem is, some people believe what they're saying when they say southern people are... well, I won't put stereotypes in anyone's mouth here. You can say it in jest, that's a joke. Say it and believe it, and any way you hack it, that's a prejudice, in the meaning of prejudging. It's just bad practice.

I grew up in a family that represented both sides of the Civil war/war of southern aggression/war of southern independence. I grew up in an area that was evenly split between alliances. Alliterations either way they go rub me the wrong way. The war's over gentlemen, stop fighting it and start learning from it.

Art Eatman
July 19, 2004, 10:06 AM
Way OT.

If you enjoyed reading about "Valuation of luftgewehren?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!