More movie stupidity-Sniper 2 ??

PDA

dfariswheel
December 29, 2002, 02:53 AM
I was changing channels tonight, when I came across a movie billed as "Sniper 2" staring Tom Berringer.

There's the mysterious sniper himself holding a rifle, and saying:
"This'll do. It's a Mauser 7.92. One of the best rifles the Germans ever built".

He's holding a Russian Mosin Nagant

If you enjoyed reading about "More movie stupidity-Sniper 2 ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackhawk
December 29, 2002, 02:56 AM
How would he know?

How would the director know?

How would the prop man know?

How would the technical advisor know?

How would the writers know?

Worst of all, how would the average movie goer know? :(

PATH
December 29, 2002, 02:58 AM
Only savants like us would know. I find myself trying to identify guns in every show and movie I watch. My wife thinks I am nuts but it is a fine madness!

Psssniper
December 29, 2002, 03:43 AM
Well he's still missing that trigger finger that he lost in the first movie, now that's continuity.

Hkmp5sd
December 29, 2002, 03:57 AM
You know you've got it bad when you freeze the DVD and start flipping through your gun books trying to match the picture! :)

Schuey2002
December 29, 2002, 04:01 AM
Then, I must have it Reeeeeeaaaaaal bad. ;)

tlhelmer
December 29, 2002, 09:33 AM
Never saw the movie. I kinda liked the first one despite its typical gun handling flaws.

trapshooter
December 29, 2002, 11:12 AM
real Mauser's aren't on the PRK/Hollywood 'ok' list, but M-N's are?:confused:

Besides, they probably just whipped out the first bolt gun they had in the truck, to save time, knowing that only a few would know the difference.;)

"Hey. It's supposed to be a German rifle"

"No sweat. Nobody'll see it long enough to know. Besides, the Mauser's are all the way over in Nevada, and we have to shoot this scene now ."

12-34hom
December 29, 2002, 11:13 AM
Feeeeel the rush! = :confused: Now theres some real Hollywood drivel.

Movie sucked, script was a joke = [inaccurate] T.B. only added to the folly.

Liked his T.B."s character in the movie "Platoon". Sargent Barnes was a likeable sort.

12-34hom.

gwalchmai
December 29, 2002, 12:01 PM
I just saw "K-19". At one point one guy opens the weapons locker to reveal a row of AKs and a dozen Maks. The actor even pulled out the Mak magazine with no problem.

Cougar
December 29, 2002, 12:25 PM
I, for one, thought the first Sniper movie was a load of BS. A real sniper like Carlos Hathcock, USMC is probably spinning in his grave over the portrayal of 'snipers' in that turkey. C'mon! Humping through an open field in broad daylight wearing guillie suits is the mark of a trained sniper? Sheesh :rolleyes:

Let's have the two day stalk, bellycrawling all of 200 yards, getting bitten by every form of nasty bug out there and not being able to even squash them, much less scratch the itch. Not eating or sleeping for days. Being constantly alert to all around you. These are things that Hathcock had to endure many times. That is the true discipline that a real sniper has. Being a sharpshooter is just a fraction of the skill of a true sniper. Fieldcraft plays a major part. Choosing the proper shooting position. Establishing a plan to obtain the best possible one shot that you will take. Planning a route of egress even before the shot is taken. Discipline. You don't want to just saunter up, blaze away and get wiped out yourself. This is not a suicide mission. You have to come and go totally annonymously and without leaving a trace.

Harold Mayo
December 29, 2002, 12:57 PM
I kinda liked the first one. It's just a movie, after all. I don't think that the audience would sit through a movie that was nothing but a sniper crawl across a couple of hundred yards in two days...

I just hated tha Billy Zane turned out to be a hero in the first one.

Redlg155
December 29, 2002, 01:32 PM
That Billy Zane guy acted too much like a wuss for my liking. I doubt that the second movie is any better.

Good Shooting
RED

4v50 Gary
December 29, 2002, 01:44 PM
My strongest memory of the first flick is the bouncing crosshairs. It bounced better than a basketball. Gee, I wonder what flea-market scope they used for that reticle? :D

Mike Irwin
December 29, 2002, 04:58 PM
Sniper was one of the stupidest movies I've ever seen.

I was forced to watch it, though, as my brother liked it, and it was his system.

NEon
December 29, 2002, 08:12 PM
It starts at 7:15 PM 513 MMAX. guess I will try to catch it, only a couple of minutes away!

Nanook
December 29, 2002, 11:42 PM
I caught that part tonight, just started to laugh as he gazed at the Mosin calling it a Mauser.
I like how it had iron sights when he was holding it, and ten seconds later it was wearing a scope, nothing about finding the scope, sighting it in. All of a sudden it was just scoped and on target.

John G
December 6, 2005, 03:34 AM
Cougar is correct. But Hollywood will always be Hollywood. They never let truth get in the way of progress.

Twycross
December 6, 2005, 04:41 AM
Situation resolved, post deleted. Thanks to the Mods.

-Twycross

Darth Ruger
December 6, 2005, 04:44 AM
How would the technical advisor know?They had a real USMC Scout/Sniper on the set as technical advisor (he's listed in the credits at the end). If anyone would know the difference between a Mosin/Nagant and a Mauser, I'd think a real sniper would know.

One cliche that's getting old is when the good sniper shoots the bad sniper through his scope and into his eye. They did that in Saving Private Ryan, Sniper, and Sniper 2.

Now there's "Sniper 3" on DVD. I saw it at the video store the other day.

Darth Ruger
December 6, 2005, 04:54 AM
If you wouldn't say it in front of your dear old Grandma, you probably don't want to say it here. That's the problem. Some people would say it in front of their dear old Grandma... :D

The Viking
December 6, 2005, 08:15 AM
That's the problem. Some people would say it in front of their dear old Grandma... :D
My dear old grandma says things like that in front of me:what: :uhoh:
:D :D

Rob1035
December 6, 2005, 12:40 PM
I watched the first one tonight, and if its true that sequels get worse, I'm afraid of the second and third:neener:

Kiwi98J
December 6, 2005, 04:41 PM
Anyone see and care to opine about "Enemy at the Gate"? Koenig vs Zaitsev, truth or fiction?

Lone_Gunman
December 6, 2005, 04:44 PM
Is this a movie or a documentary?

adaman04
December 6, 2005, 04:45 PM
Sniper 1 - Great Movie
Sniper 2 - Crap
Sniper 3 - Average
Tom Beregener - STUD!

I have wached Sniper probably 200 times. It was a well made movie, and somewhat accurate. I don't know what they were thinking with the second one.

Movie folks don't know jack about guns (for the most part). Tom Selleck on the other hand is a gun guru. :D

Rob1035
December 6, 2005, 04:53 PM
so snipers really file their bullets with nail files?

Darth Ruger
December 6, 2005, 05:03 PM
Anyone see and care to opine about "Enemy at the Gate"?We already have, many times. :D

Is this a movie or a documentary?"Sniper" is an action flick starring Tom Berenger. There's also Sniper 2 and Sniper 3.

so snipers really file their bullets with nail files?I prefer 80 grit sandpaper myself. :D

Kiwi98J
December 6, 2005, 05:03 PM
Is this a movie or a documentary?

Sniper I & II or "Enemy at the Gate"

Enemy at the Gate is a movie with Jude Law as Zaitzev and Ed Harris as Koenig and a cast of many.

Carl N. Brown
December 6, 2005, 05:45 PM
According to some sources Zaitsev was involved in two different
sniper v. sniper duels that were "morphed" into one for the movie.
Plus WWII Communist propaganda hyped Zaitsev for a nation
desperate for heroes.

"One cliche that's getting old is when the good sniper shoots the
bad sniper through his scope and into his eye. "

Zaitsev may be the real-life originator of that movie cliche. An
honest view of the man and his exploits without Communist
propaganda and Hollywood hype would be an interesting story.

Rob1035
December 6, 2005, 05:46 PM
I think Carlos Hathcock did that as well?

Cosmoline
December 6, 2005, 05:49 PM
Berringer just mis-spoke the line. It was supposed to be "The best rifle the Germans NEVER made."

TallPine
December 6, 2005, 05:51 PM
Movies are so ridiculous ... they spend millions of dollar$ on cast and sets and special effects and then screw things up. Anything that I know anything about, they pretty much always get it wrong.

Like October Sky, the rocket boys are shooting up their POS car with a 22 rifle. It looks like a Marlin 60 (semi-auto) but the boy is pulling the bolt handle between each shot :rolleyes: Why didn't they just use a common bolt action?

And then I was bored and rewatching The Train Robbers the other night ... John Wayne and Ben Johnson and Rod Taylor work the levers on their Winchesters as they get off their horses near the end, but they only push the lever down a couple inches and then back up - not near enough to cycle the bolt. I guess you're supposed to be watching Ann Margaret's boobs instead of the guns ... ;)

Tequila_Sauer
December 6, 2005, 05:52 PM
Realistic or not. I still dig the scene in Clear and Present Danger when Chavez is hitting targets in the field and they're trying to find him.

If you enjoyed reading about "More movie stupidity-Sniper 2 ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!