Norinco Commander

PDA

csay
July 18, 2004, 04:27 PM
I recently traded for a NIB Norinco Commander. It's blued with a rubber wrap-around grip.
What do you guys think it's worth? Aren't they highly sought after?

If you enjoyed reading about "Norinco Commander" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Josey
July 18, 2004, 05:40 PM
NIB? The grip is aftermarket. I would guesstimate $400.00. They are all steel, that is why they are sought after.

1911Ron
July 18, 2004, 06:05 PM
It's worth nothing,send it to me immediately:D :evil: they don't seem to be bad pistols.If i'm not mistaken they are not imported any more, if so they may go up a little. More to the point is how does it shoot?Oh and pictures please.

Dave Sample
July 18, 2004, 06:26 PM
I re- did one years ago and it was stolen and sold on the streets of Las Vegas. The owner's step daughter took over 20 of his handguns there, sold them all, and stuck the money up her nose as she was a junky. It was one of the nicest 1911 Commander sized guns I have ever worked on and they are worth every bit of $400.00. I think there were about 500 of them imported before Slick Willie put the kabosh on importing them. I would love to have one but I am too Poor. I used to have a target here that was a 2" group shot at 40 yards off the hood of a pick up with that gun. Vince was a champion shooter and did things that were hard to believe. He shot himself in the heart with a Norinco 5" that I built for him at about 2:00 AM out in the driveway at his home while sitting on the back of his pick-up a few years ago. The Sheriff still has it, as his Widow never wants to see it again. I don't want to see it again either. RIP, Vince.

csay
July 18, 2004, 06:32 PM
Maybe a better description would be "unfired". The dealer I traded with to get it, said it was new and unfired. He specializes in hard to find guns. As for the grip, it says Norinco in the middle of the grip on each side. It also has an ambi-safety.
No, they are not imported anymore, but the full-size is easier to find. I was thinking that a Commander would be worth more since they are so scarce.
I'm going to break down and go digital. Technology is passing me by. I have request for pics and never a way to post them. I'll work on it.

csay
July 18, 2004, 06:36 PM
Dave, that's a heavy story. Hate to hear stories like that.

Dave Sample
July 18, 2004, 07:15 PM
Sorry. You can't believe how sorry I was when I heard it. I had no intention of upsetting anyone. Life on this Planet for 72 years leaves me full of stories. He was a very special pal of mine and this is the way I honor him. His heart was similar to mine only surgery would not have helped. He took the Warriors Way Out and I am sure he is in a good place surrounded by good friends. I see his wife quite often and we speak of him with love. He was a Deputy Sheriff in CA and we had similar lives and stories about 90 miles an hour chasing bad guys down the road and all that went with that kind of work. I did three or four pistols for him, but our connection was not in that work. We were pals. I think it is important that we never forget our fallen comrades. I don't. The bell does ring for all of us.

Josey
July 19, 2004, 12:03 AM
I goofed. There were few models with factory Norinco finger groove wrap-around grips. Hogues were just starting to be popular. Norinco had some finger groove grips made up for their 1911s. I don't know who made them for Norinco. I would UP my guesstimate to $450.00 in the condition you describe. There were rare nickel finish models. I would suggest $700.00 for a nickel Norinco Commander. They are good.

csay
July 19, 2004, 12:06 AM
Actually, the guy I got the Commander from has a fullsize Norinco nickel 1911.

Spieler
July 19, 2004, 08:29 AM
Here is my NORINCO 1911A1 Compact - commander-size.

The wrap-around rubber grips are emblazoned with the NORINCO name and logo on each side and are not finger-grooved. I bought this one a few years ago for $225.00.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=434597

Ky Larry
July 19, 2004, 02:40 PM
IIRC, all parts are machined. No MIM parts. Is this correct?

Penman
July 19, 2004, 11:11 PM
I don't think MIM parts were being used when they were sold. They have always received good reviews for the quality of the steel in them.

csay
July 20, 2004, 12:58 AM
Damn Spieler, were you in my house? Check my pic:

Spieler
July 20, 2004, 12:43 PM
No fair, I don't have the box for mine!

On a side note - my other 1911 is a Colt 1991 Compact (Officer's ACP size) made in '98 and my Norinco locks up tighter and is more accurate than the Colt. The Colt has the same looseness as the '40s era 1911 I carried on active duty in the '80s! I likey my 'Rinco! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Norinco Commander" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!