Shootin and Drinkin

PDA

Baba Louie
February 15, 2003, 11:43 PM
Don't do it at the same time, alcohol, that is. They don't mix (public service outta the way...now for the fun)

But trying to keep this in the proper vein of decorum and Board Rules (must be firearm related)...(tell us if we go too far Oleg)

When I last went out and shot my Swedish Mausers (96 and 38)and the Ljungman I had a great time. After I got home and had put away the ammo, I broke out the... Absolut... from the freezer.

In the winter, after a hard day of DUCK HUNTING with my SHOTGUN, I came home to enjoy a favorite warm concoction of Hot Coffee laced with some Gran Marnier.

Bit after a hot day of missing DOVES, I went to the cooler in the car and quaffed down a cold frosty Double Diamond.

Has anybody ever had a day out with their Kentucky Rifle and gone home to a Kentucky made distilled beverage?

OK Oleg, I'm sorry. It must be the 3 vodka and tonics I had after a hard day of CLEANING MY RIFLES that made me do this. But it is firearms related, no? As opposed to just a thread talking about Shiner Bock.

When I really do drink and shoot out here in the desert, I bring lots of iced water, tea and gatorade in the summer, a thermos of hot coffee in the winter. Never the booze (for all of you lurkers out there who think we're all rednecked beer guzzling gun shootin neanderthals). Ever!

Adios

If you enjoyed reading about "Shootin and Drinkin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
February 16, 2003, 12:29 AM
I don't know if I've abused my body enough, grown up a little, or just realized I don't need to drink after any event in life to enjoy myself. I used to...bowl & drink, golf & drink, fish & drink, shoot & drink, boat & drink, clubbing & drinking (big combo!), hang out & drink...you name the combo, I would drink to enhance the time. Now tho, I still do these things, but I don't drink nearly as much or a often, I can actually enjoy myself more w/o it :scrutiny: & surprise, suprise, I perform better w/o it too!

MitchSchaft
February 16, 2003, 12:42 AM
I rarely drink at all.

Blackhawk
February 16, 2003, 01:27 AM
Likewise.

Mike Irwin
February 16, 2003, 01:35 AM
I barely drink anymore.

In the summer, when it's really hot, I'll have a gin and tonic. I've been working on the same bottle of gin for almost 3 years.

I've had beer in my fridge now since September. At the rate I'm going, I should finish off the 12-pack in March or April.

Redlg155
February 16, 2003, 01:58 AM
I don't drink and haven't since having a beer at a company party almost 13 years ago. Not that anything happened, it just wasn't for me. :D

Still, I understand that most folks do enjoy a drink to relax after a days work or play. Just so long as the two never mix.

Good SHooting
RED

Marshall
February 16, 2003, 02:13 AM
I don't drink anymore, new years eve we don't even do the champagne anymore.

However, I will tell on myself a little. :D

On a pheasant hunt one time, we went back to the truck to warm up and sat around telling lies while having a little warm up juice. I never shot better in my life than that afternoon! Must have loosened me up a tad? :scrutiny: LOL

My buddies couldn't hit the side of a barn though? I must have had less? :rolleyes:

Bob Locke
February 16, 2003, 02:35 AM
I'd bet that I've averaged right at one drink per month over the last dozen years. My friends ask me why I pretty much quit, and I tell them that I downed enough booze from 16 to 20 to last me the rest of my life! (And that ain't much of an exaggeration, either.)

Jim March
February 16, 2003, 02:38 AM
I absolutely detest the taste of alky. Don't drink a drop. Not a moral thing, the taste just makes me wanna :barf:.

firestar
February 16, 2003, 03:51 AM
I'm not much of a drinker either. I wonder if there is some relationship between the people that visit these forums and not drinking.:scrutiny: It seems that there are a lot of non and light drinkers here.

My vice is smoking. I am in the process of quiting. I have had 2 1/2 cigs in the past week. I REALLY love smoking that is what makes it so hard to quit.

SteelyDan
February 16, 2003, 04:38 AM
Just to contribute to the diversity of the board, I have two drinks most nights. Unless I have something important going on in the morning, in which case I don't. But, there are also the occasional weekend nights where I have multiples of two. If I'm driving, three beers is the limit. If I'm shooting, no drinks, unless maybe we go out for dinner afterward. Fifteen or twenty years ago, um, let's just say my liver complained a lot more.

Kahr carrier
February 16, 2003, 05:14 AM
I dont drink much myself except for the occasional snifter of Cognac after dinner at Holiday gatherings . But I never drink when I handle firearms.:)

duckhunter
February 16, 2003, 07:30 AM
my hunting buddy's and I are heavy drinkers, but it waits intill after the hunt. we may take a 6 pack out with us if it's warm out to split, between 3-4 guy it's not gonna hurt(safty or aim).

JPM70535
February 16, 2003, 07:50 AM
To those of you who drive after drinking let me say that depending on your physical size and metabolism, it doesn't take many beers or drinks to exceed the newer .08 standard for legel intoxication. IIRC, during a class I gave in DUI detection, a 120 pound individual tested out at a .09 with just three drinks.
( Standard test drinks containing 1 ounce of vodka in orange juice) The same individual also failed the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmous test and the 9 step walk and turn.

If it was me I would refrain from driving after more than 2 drinks.

rms/pa
February 16, 2003, 07:57 AM
after staying drunk or stoned from '68 to'75 i realised i could not do that anymore.

rms/pa
inside me is an idiot, two drinks sets him free.
who needs drugs or alchohol, sleep deprivation and your children will screw you mind up just as well.

Unisaw
February 16, 2003, 08:29 AM
I rarely drink anymore. Most nights, I intend to either dry fire or use woodworking tools. Neither firearms nor table saw blades go with alcohol.

El Tejon
February 16, 2003, 08:49 AM
Ya labloo vodku!, but never while cleaning. I may get it mixed up with the cleaning solution (blech!).

hansolo
February 16, 2003, 09:54 AM
I am reminded of a quote, but I forget the quote-ee:

If I knew Iwas going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself(!)

BTW, I "party'd" from '67-'01...I quit drinking and tobacco use the same month...I'm not praising myself, but I sure do feel better now! :rolleyes:

Navy joe
February 16, 2003, 10:08 AM
I haven't had a beer in a month, but always enjoy an occasional good beer or glass of bourbon. While many of us don't drink much, I am reminded of the annual fiasco to get Virginia's CCW law amended to allow carry in places that serve alcohol. Regardless of our personal feelings on mixing alcohol and firearms the legal standard for being intoxicated with a firearm has to be the same as it is for driving a vehicle. If lawmakers can't take that, maybe they need to admit their standards for DUI are too lax, the car is more deadly. So post shooting for me is one nice glass of Guinness or Newcastle.

.45FMJoe
February 16, 2003, 10:28 AM
During my first 2 years of college I drank enough for 5 people. We were drunk more nights out of the week (at least 5) then not (1-2 days). Of course, I neer bothered doing things like go to class, do homework, study, etc. Now I'm at USF and things are totally different. I haven't had a drink in like a month. Gone are the days of rampant alcoholism. I can't really complain, either. I just wish I had grown up earlier, because the school I started out at cost over 8 grand a semester. After I blew my full scholorship (1st semester) I have about 20 grand in student loans left. To rub salt in the wounds, only about 5 of the classes I took there are creditied to my degrees at USF. Another thing I noticed is once I turned 21, the thrill of the drink kinda went away. I still enjoy the occasional Corona or Kalik with dinner or a couple of mixed drinks, but not the falling over yourself drunk I used to partake in.,

PDshooter
February 16, 2003, 10:41 AM
Havn't had a drop since July 1983:D

Booz&Bullets "Don't mix"

sctman800
February 16, 2003, 10:42 AM
Drank my first beer in 1961, smoked my first joint in 1966. Quit drinking in 1993, quit drugs a little over a year ago. Bought my first big handgun about last June, .41mag Taurus. now I spend my extra money on powder and bullets (a different version of roll your own). Now I find my self really addicted but to something a lot more enjoyable. Never had what I call a "drug problem" just a social smoker,but now I feel better and enjoy life more than I ever have. Jim.

meathammer
February 16, 2003, 11:08 AM
I enjoy hunting, shooting, and drinking. But, I have never mixed drinking with either of the other two. The thing is, drinking to me consists of 2 or 3 beers. I don't drink just to get "hammered" like when I was younger.

I always hear horror stories up here in Wisconsin, guys drinking the night before opening day of the deer season. They walk out into the woods in the morning still drunk as a skunk. Not smart. Responsibility. That's the bottom line. Especially with firearms.

Wayne D
February 16, 2003, 11:35 AM
The same six beers have been in the refrigerator for four months. My wife is starting to complain about them taking up space. A bottle of Wild Turkey stayed in the closet for almost four years. This is a lot different from my younger years when the life expectancy of a 12 pack was measured in hours. Kids, responsibility and age have a way of slowing us down.

PATH
February 16, 2003, 11:36 AM
A little wine with dinner sometimes. An occasional beer in the summer months. A mixed drink(gin and tonic) at weddings and such. Never drink on a shooting day. Gave up on smoking.
I'd rather spend money on ammo and guns rather than alcohol and coffin nails!

Lennyjoe
February 16, 2003, 11:38 AM
Aint nuttin to do here but drink.

Back at home, guns and booze dont mix. Whenever I head out to the desert (Tucson area) the alcohol stays home. If any of my buddies bring the booze I head back to the house without shooting.

Now after a hard day of shooting and after the guns are cleaned and tucked away I will stoke up the coals and grill a nice ribeye and drink a cold XX Dos Equis for sure:D

schild
February 16, 2003, 12:04 PM
Haven't had a drink since April 2, 1992.

a9mmfan
February 16, 2003, 12:39 PM
As my Dad used to say...
"I don't drink any more! Of course I don't drink any less either."

bad_dad_brad
February 16, 2003, 12:56 PM
If you are an alcoholic, I can understand why you can't drink so these quotes are not for you. And I admire you for staying sober. And if you are not an alcoholic, and choose not to enjoy drinking, these quotes are not for you as well, because you would never understand.

I enjoy drinking. But I have rules about my drinking, which I follow most of the time. Don't drink and drive. I drink at home. Loaded guns and power tools should not be mixed with drink. Except for a beer on the weekend for lunch, I do not touch a drop until after 5PM. Stay away from whisky - makes me crazy. Don't let drinking affect your work or life. But I do enjoy getting drunk now and zen.

Some famous drinking quotes I like:

Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me. ..._ Winston Churchill

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. ... Frank Sinatra

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind. ... Humphrey Bogart

An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. ... _ For Whom the Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemmingway

Wine, in moderation, unfolds a man’s brain; a teetotaler rarely possesses great wisdom. ... Jewish proverb

For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication . ... Friedrich Nietzsche

Nothing more excellent or valuable than wine was ever granted by the gods to man. ... Plato

My favorite spirit is the dry Martini with English Tanqueray 10 as the gin, French Noilly Prat as the vermouth, and a Greek queen sized unpitted green olive - heaven.

The Martini is Gods drink, because only God and I can stand to drink them ... Me

coonan357
February 16, 2003, 03:49 PM
last time someone brought a sixer to the private range My friend has ,after being told no alcohol until the sun sets ( no shooting after dark Ill Law) this moron proceeds to crack open a "target" how nice of him to bring six targets for me to try out my .357 on .... needless to say I handed him a 5 and said "pick up somemore after we are done."needless to say he was a little perturbed .. I enforce rules , I have seen the aftereffects of a GS wound some of them due to stupidity .. I myself drink lightly maybe a beer once every 2 months or one at a party ( couldn't afford to loose my CDL ) never did drugs . I had a bout with liquor several years back and I looked at the money I litterally Peed away ( debit card receipts are a great thing ) I could have bought a Barret semi auto .. alcohol and Guns NO !! give me a lemonade ..

MountainPeak
February 16, 2003, 03:59 PM
I never drink before or during a shooting outing. If someone breaks out the beer I pack up my guns. I do enjoy a cold one afterwards while sitting on my deck cleaning my guns.

JMLV
February 16, 2003, 04:11 PM
since I was 19. When I do I limit it to 2 at the most. (I do like a beer now and again)
The reason had more to do with staying alive than avoiding the taste or after affects - You see from age 19 to 30 my one and olny mode of transportation was a motorcycle. If you think DWI is a problem for an auto driver its twice as bad for a biker. You see rifing a bike (for those of you who have never done it) is all about balance. achol does REALLY BAD things to my sence of balance so I avoid it when I ride. Diebetes has put the bike on the skids for the last couple of years through Now the doc recomends I don't inhibe due to the meds I have to take - good thing I am already used to it! Still some days I miss it. The wind in my face not the booze!:cool:

waterdog
February 16, 2003, 04:25 PM
I average about 1 drink a month, and never when shooting or operating heavy equipment.

waterdog

Schuey2002
February 16, 2003, 04:58 PM
Don't drink and drive.
Don't drink and shoot.
Don't drink and clean.
Don't drink.............;)

Neal Bloom
February 16, 2003, 05:16 PM
Saw what booze was doing to my father and brother so I gave it up in '93. Really haven't missed it. I already have enough bad habits. If I see booze and guns together, I leave. It doesn't mix!

Monkeyleg
February 16, 2003, 05:33 PM
Never drink and drive, or drink and ride, or drink and shoot, or drink while doing anything of consequence.. But, have a couple beers and post here with a .08 blood alcohol level? It can't make my posts any worse. ;)

triggertime
February 16, 2003, 05:35 PM
These days, I'll have an occasional beer with a steak or a pizza, but thats it. The concept of getting drunk just to get drunk never really interested me.

andy
February 16, 2003, 05:54 PM
I have watched alcohol slowly kill three members of my family. I no longer drink because I've decided I'm not going to die that way. Alcohol is a dangerous drug and should be avoided ,at least by me anyway. :uhoh:

Soap
February 16, 2003, 07:18 PM
There are a few fine things in life like fine firearms, sunsets, the opposite sex, and alcohol/tobacco. My drinking generally involves no more than 3 drinks. The rare exception is on special occasions where I may push that up to 5 drinks. I drink perhaps once or twice per week. Mostly I like hard liquors and wine. Fine whiskey and rum are my favorites. Jameson...mmm... Also, tobacco is indeed a wonderful thing. Of course, smoking for me happens about once every 2 weeks where I smoke a pipe or a shesha. Occasionally I'll indulge in a fine cigar. Just like most of life's other pleasures, moderation, judgement, and good taste are essential.

shu
February 17, 2003, 04:44 AM
Few years back I was developed a sudden lust for a Glock 31. At that time I upping on Readman (chewing tobacco) during the day and downing an Old Tadcaster Oatmeal Stout every evening.

I bargained with myself to get the Glock and give up the booze and weed.

Best deal I ever made. I do have an occassional thought for a nice martini or some Wild Turkey; easily banished by starting to plan a range trip or reload recipe.

Ala Dan
February 17, 2003, 06:29 AM
ALCOHOL and GUNPOWDER DON'T MIX!

*FootNote: I don't drink alcoholic beverages anyway;
so I have no worries on my end.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

BevrFevr
February 17, 2003, 01:54 PM
And wants us to have a good time. -Benjamin Franklin

From a scientific standpoint virtually every species voluntarily gets hopped up on something.

I'm not sure that I trust people with guns if they can't handle booze.

I've never met a really impressive mind that didn't alter conciousness in some way or another.

Just been my experience. -bevr

BerettaNut92
February 17, 2003, 02:01 PM
As much money as practically possible budgeted for perishables should go towards ammunition.

I drink nothing but water at the range, anything sweet will attract too many insects, and 100 oz of soju in the Camelbak has proven to be too much for my small 120lb frame.

bogie
February 17, 2003, 03:19 PM
I've been struggling with the Diet From Hell. Michelob Ultra is something. I'm not sure what, but it sure ain't beer...

About a month ago, I bought a six of Shiner. Finished the last three this past weekend.

Passing through Kentucky coupla weekends ago, I bought a fifth of Maker's Mark - I'll probably take the remains to Knob Creek, and we'll see if any makes it home...

Knob Creek tends to be a bit over the top. Depending on who's gonna camp, I may try to get a bit of Shiner....

So does evenings at the Supershoot... Sittin' and BSin' with people who you know, but who you don't see but once a year... Then there's that clear liquid that the boys from LA (Lower Alabamy) tend to bring in mason jars...

You've gotta take it easy tho - Nothin' quite like approaching a 60-bench firing line full of hot loaded centerfire rifles with a raging hangover....

Now, if you try to take away my Diet Coke, we're gonna be talkin' Cold Dead Hands...

tatters
February 17, 2003, 08:05 PM
I hardly ever drink, for one, I am usually armed. Otherwise, I just don't drink.

I used to drink..... before I ever owned guns. I bought my first gun in 1995. My drinkin' days were done by then.

45R
February 17, 2003, 08:17 PM
I drink all the time. Water is good for you. :) I just dont drink anything with an ethal group. (ETOH) :)

Alcohol and guns dont mix. Thats just bad juju!

Baba Louie
February 17, 2003, 08:54 PM
Certainly says a lot about the old redneck beer drinking gun owning American stereotype. Is that a myth? Or should that be another thread... I don't want to push the rules at all, but its about what I figured percentage wise.

With a few vague answers and breaking it down into Do, Don't and Light, so far it appears approx

Do: 15 out of 45 = 33%
Don't: 19 out of 45 = 42%
Light: 11 out of 45 = 24%

Good for The High Road.

Of course that could just be cause them that do might be so skunked that they can't type or are the type that just like to go shooting and drinkin later on and never post.

Good for ya.

1 out of 3 enjoy a drink now and then.
1 out of 4 drink sparingly.
Almost half do not drink anymore or just do not drink alcohol.

Some wise words in all of the above posts.

Thanks for the exercise.

Adios

Carbon_15
February 18, 2003, 12:00 AM
I drink very seldom and infrequent, when I do, I prefer Remy Martin. A tumbler of VSOP compliments a (finished) day of shooting or hunting very nicly.

Sisco
February 18, 2003, 04:43 AM
There was a time when I could recover from a hangover by quittin' time, when it started taking a couple of days I took the hint.
Still like a cold one after mowing the yard, after the hunt etc. Gotta be cold though, straight from the freezer.

fivepaknh
February 18, 2003, 05:11 AM
I haven't been drunk since 02/15/03. Uhh wait.. that was just last Saturday. :D
That's rare for me though, but it was my brother's birthday so it was my duty to get smashed with him. No guns or driving though.
Usually it's just a few beers on the weekends if any at all. Most of my drinking is in the summer due to the frequent barbeques at my house.

swingset
February 18, 2003, 05:59 AM
I drink like a fish, I'm the Otis of my town, and often liquor-up before posting or doing anything which requires serious thought.

:neener:

bogie
February 18, 2003, 10:39 AM
Oh, an interesting anecdote...

Moonshiners used to test their product by mixing it with gunpowder. And lighting it. If, after the alcohol burned off, the powder ignited, the batch was declared a success, as it met "gunpowder proof." If there was too much water in the batch, the gunpowder wouldn't ignite.

JohnBT
February 18, 2003, 11:09 AM
I still like a good beer or two on a regular basis. Heck, Friday night we continued the series of poker games that we've been doing for more than 20 years and I drank 3 beers between 7 p.m. and 1:00 a.m. - - - - - note: the game didn't break up until after 5 and I ended up $450 ahead. Unfortunately, the ice and sleet storm kept me from spending the profits at the gun shop this weekend :(

According to the charts, I could have 4 drinks in two hours and still be legal to drive in this state. I don't think so, but that's what the charts say.

John

P.S. - I also smoked 3 cigarettes...one with each beer.

BigG
February 18, 2003, 12:18 PM
Hi! My name's George and I'm an alcoholic... :p

BerettaNut92
February 18, 2003, 12:53 PM
8 hours from bottle to throttle....;)

anchored
February 18, 2003, 01:20 PM
Lessee, I have 5 gallons of Riesling brewing in my bedroom right now, and as soon as its bottled, I start another batch of lager. I brew at least 1 batch of rootbeer every week. Unfortunately, I usually end up giving most of it away and don't actually imbibe a great deal. Are there no other homebrewers out there?

At my last job, shortly after I started, I was invited to an ATF party, where a great deal of each was enjoyed, but not in that order. That was a GOOD place to work!

Chris Rhines
February 18, 2003, 02:47 PM
I love a good beer or three from time to time, and every once in a while I'll pour a whisky. It's been a while though, since I've actually had a buzz on. The thrill does wear off after you hit 21.

Interesting that this subject came up as I was reading P.J. O'Rourke's Age and Guile... There was a chapter in that book where PJ describes sitting in an armchair in the kitchen of a farmhous he was living in, drinking whisky, smoking hashish, and shooting at rats with a .25 automatic. Yeek!

- Chris

DCR
February 18, 2003, 04:43 PM
ATF daily; not in that order - A is always last.

In younger and stupider days, it was rare not to have a little "aiming fluid," but never lots. Thank God nothing ever happened.

Wouldn't dream of it now, and am ashamed and embarassed at our conduct. Wouldn't trade those times for the world, though. Lived and learned; will pass it on.

Sean Smith
February 18, 2003, 05:51 PM
Drinking around guns is, of course, dumb.

I'm an intermittent social drinker, and aim more for quality than quantity now. When I was in the Army, however, I was a tremendous drinker when off-duty. My alcohol consumption ranged from ludicrous to outright unbelieveable.

A Chopin vodka martini with lots of extra-large olives is very pleasant every once in a blue moon, however. :cool:

bogie
February 18, 2003, 05:59 PM
Ahh... Army daze...

I remember when they installed one of those breathalyzer things in the e-club I would frequent.

You know what happened - All drinking games were suspended in favor of the Walk of Death. You drank, you walked over, blew, and announced your score, and walked back. Then everyone else at the table did it. Winner was the last one able to walk to the thing and make it back. High score also counted somewhat...

Sisco
February 18, 2003, 09:26 PM
Just remembered a large patch I had sewn onto my duffel bag;
"I may get so drunk I have to crawl home, but by God I'll crawl home like a sailor!"

Ed Brunner
February 19, 2003, 09:22 AM
I'm surprised that so many don't drink at all, and that so many who do drink have rules. It reminds me of a former father-in-law who drank all day, every day, except on Sunday. Not because of religon, but because it proved to him that he was not an alcoholic. He just sat there and shook all day.

casual
February 20, 2003, 12:01 AM
No Scotch drinkers out there?

Drinking several 12oz cans of any liquid in one sitting is silly. I can see why someone would quit. You wouldn't sit down with a six-pack of Coke, and drink them one after another, would you?

Instead of a couple of beers, try a single malt scotch on the rocks sometime. You will sip it slowly and enjoy it more (eventually). You won't be running to the bathroom every ten minutes and you won't dehydrate yourself (as quickly).

fivepaknh
February 20, 2003, 06:14 AM
You wouldn't sit down with a six-pack of Coke, and drink them one after another, would you?

Good point. I've thought about that too, but I guess beer is different.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shootin and Drinkin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!