Is it a question of symantics?

PDA

10-Ring
February 16, 2003, 01:04 AM
Okay, the question of need vs. want; the difference between collecting & accumulating; hobby or obsession?

How thin are these lines?

Have I run out of themes? Have I been talking to Skunkabilly too much?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it a question of symantics?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
trapshooter
February 16, 2003, 01:13 AM
You'll know it's an obsession when you take a rain check on a hot date to hit the store for a gun deal.

Want? Need?

Want is subjective.

Need is objective.

Both are perfectly good reasons, and neither is more or less acceptable.

I need every gun I own, for different reasons. I want others, for different reasons.

I can shoot, at most, two at a time.:D

BerettaNut92
February 16, 2003, 01:37 AM
Obsessed? I prefer 'focused' or 'goal-oriented'.

I take my sport seriously, and just because it doesn't involve chasing a ball around a room, that doesn't mean it's not a sport.

And we don't start riots after competitive events, either!

triggertime
February 16, 2003, 01:39 AM
There's a difference between accumulating and stockpiling. Those who stockpile are usually the type of person who prides themselves on being proficient with weapons of all types, whereas those who accumulate do so because of impulse or compulsion and never go beyond actually becoming proficient with what they've purchased to begin with. Usually, they're just conforming to peer pressure or feeding their own vanity. Thats why they say that resistance is futile, right? :neener:

yesterdaysyouth
February 16, 2003, 01:54 AM
And we don't start riots after competitive events, either!

that wouldn't be pretty....

10-Ring
February 16, 2003, 02:27 AM
Could you imagine IDPA or IPSC hooligans?:what:

No, I make no qualms about the legitimacy of the shooting sports. Hell, if a guy riding a skateboard is a sport, shooting at targets accurately faster than anyone else is a sport too!

Blackhawk
February 16, 2003, 02:49 AM
Semantics.

New_comer
February 16, 2003, 06:35 AM
Collecting has a definite end. A theme may be necessary to call a group of guns as a collection...

Accumulating doesn't. It's reflective of an addiction; to stockpile as many as can be added regardless of type.

:D
Huh??!!

I can't even understand what I just wrote... :neener: :evil: ;)

Greg L
February 16, 2003, 09:10 AM
The line is fairly thin. How everything is defined depends on who is doing the defining. To an anti your "collection" will be viewed in a negative way. To them it is a pile of evil baby killing machines. To you it is a collection of WWII rifles with samples from every country involved in the conflict with various sub-catagories (how many sub-catagories depends on the hobby/obsession line :D ).

Greg

hansolo
February 16, 2003, 12:18 PM
I have a wonderful friend who is like an adopted mother; this 60-something lady collects dolls...I would guestimate she has over 300 in her home. So far, I only have 3 handguns, but aspire to aquire the max allowed in CA: 12/year.

Who is to say there is any difference whether one collects dolls or firearms? I know, the Blissninnies. BTW, my adopted Mom thinks my interest in guns is "cool"!:neener:

meathammer
February 16, 2003, 01:05 PM
I have used the term "investment" to justify to myself my growing collection. The thing is, they are not for sale and never will be! :D I guess it does feel like an obsession/addiction sometimes. As long as it doesn't take priority over the more important things in life (Family, food, bills, etc.) It's a heck of a lot of fun though, isn't it? ;)

davera
February 16, 2003, 02:39 PM
Need is a funny word.

I've used it for stereo equipment, woodworking tools and now for firearms.

JohnKSa
February 17, 2003, 02:57 AM
A collector buys similar items on the basis of some quality OTHER than utility. Age, rarity, value, etc.

An accumulator ends up with lots of similar items, but generally purchases them based on utility.

I don't collect. All my guns are shooters--if I find I'm not shooting a gun or don't intend to shoot a gun, I sell it.

Plan-B
February 17, 2003, 12:14 PM
Semantics: The meaning or the interpretation of a word, sentence, or other language form.

Symantec: A software publisher known for anti-virus and hard disk utilities.

You're really digging for topics now... :neener:

DMK
February 17, 2003, 12:57 PM
Obsession alludes to something that becomes so large and important in life that everything else is secondary. I'd say if you show up for work every morning, don't detach yourself from all friends and family, pay your bills, eat properly food and occasionally think of something else, you're not obsessed. If something comes up and you must stay away from your hobby for a few months with no anxiety, you're probably OK.

I agree with others that say the difference between a collection and an accumulation is in the eye of the beholder. I have in my life had or have collections of tools, car parts, electronics, firearms, model trains, model rockets and various RC vehicles among other minor hobbies. To some, these would be accumulations of junk or worse.

Mute
February 17, 2003, 08:41 PM
There is need. Then there is want. Then there is desire!

MJRW
February 17, 2003, 09:48 PM
I don't believe in "collections," "accumulations," "arsenals," or "stockpiles." Instead I like to think of any amount of firearms stored in any location by a law abiding citizen to be a "humble beginning."

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it a question of symantics?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!