HK is coming to the USA! dont count on seeing anything...

PDA

SkaerE
February 16, 2003, 08:27 AM
"H&K was considering opening a manufacturing facility in the U.S. and it looks like that is moving ahead. Since they do a bunch of work with the U.S. govt and govt agencies this facility will be used for military and law enforcement production. Once those needs are met, it is possible that some firearms might be made for the regular consumer market"

yeah, im not counting on it either. here i had gotten all excited about an actual HK 94 made in the US, or even possibly cheaper pistols (yeah right)

well, doenst seem HK is doing this for the American consumer after all. cant say im really surprised.

If you enjoyed reading about "HK is coming to the USA! dont count on seeing anything..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gun-fucious
February 16, 2003, 09:47 AM
Beretta's US factory presence was based on the M9 contract

The XM29 (http://www.atk.com/homepage/features/xm29.htm) potential is driving this spreadsheet

civilians may see some benefit from the XM8 (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m8-oicw.htm) project

especially if it is a new upper for the AR15

BerettaNut92
February 16, 2003, 12:02 PM
What's wrong with filling military/LE contracts first?

I want a USP Elite, or a Trijicon Tri-Power as much as anyone else here.

10-Ring
February 16, 2003, 12:09 PM
All things in due time, grasshopper. If HK is going to make an investment in the US, they need to be able to guarantee some cash flow. Securing gov't contracts is a great way to build an initial base of $$. Makes sense to me. THen they can worry about attracting civilian dollars.
Hey, less than a week ago, we were just hoping for the new HK owners to make a deeper commitment into the US. This week they've made the commitment. Be patient, everything in due time! ;)

Rocko
February 16, 2003, 12:17 PM
I doubt you'll see a US made HK 94 in any case... I doubt they'll be tooling up for any of the older guns in a new plant here. If anything, the US civilian market will see semi G36's and UMP's...

However, it is possible we could see a benefit sooner if a secondary parts market emerges. Enough US made "replacement" parts for the imported USC and SL8-1's so that they could be considered US made guns and still remain 100% HK - not SW made stuff.

Rocko

SkaerE
February 16, 2003, 12:25 PM
There has been some discussion of the manufacture of a G36 upper for an AR-15 rifle. This modification would do away with the buffer tube in the stock on an AR-15, the recoil system being contained within the upper receiver. From the people at H&K, it has been discussed, but there is currently no plan to bring this to the market. Sorry guys

i have no problem with them setting up a good base by military and police contracts. i do think that HK would benefit financially more from selling to civilians than to police, but thats just my opinion. i sincerely dont believe that anything on the civilian side will change though. hell, they dont even want to try to work around the stupid laws in this country to give us a g36 type rifle (come on now, 10 rnd capacity is not a g36)

dont get me wrong, i love HK products. albeit they are too damn expensive for what they are, but they are very nice and i do wish that we will see more of the older ones (and some of the newer ones as well) on the civilian market. i just dont think its gonna happen.

rocko, you're right, maybe the US made parts market will open up some. but thats just one more way for them to screw you. its like selling the same parts twice. rather see it done right the first time. plus, insnt there a good amount of gunsmithing required to make the imported rifles accept any type of high-cap mag?

Nightcrawler
February 16, 2003, 12:42 PM
Hmm.

The bulk of HKs contracts are undoubtedly law enforcement, on the state, local, federal levels. The only H&K weapon used by the military in any noteworthy quantity is the MP5 "Navy" model, which actually has a National Stock Number (NSN).

Sure, Special Forces might use other things, like the SOCOM, but those are in small numbers and probably wouldn't warrant HK building a whole factory for.

Schuey2002
February 16, 2003, 02:27 PM
I'm still waiting to hear the words roll out of Tom's ( aka Hkpro's ) keyboard, until then I'll still remain ever hopeful..;)

If you enjoyed reading about "HK is coming to the USA! dont count on seeing anything..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!