Break Free CLP good for bore protection?

PDA

pdh
February 16, 2003, 09:50 AM
Is Break Free CLP ok to use for the bores for protection against rust and pitting.
Also,heard Hoppes #9 is very good to use.Is this correct?
Thanks alot
Paul :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Break Free CLP good for bore protection?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
trapshooter
February 16, 2003, 10:53 AM
Dang, I hope so. I use Hoppe's (or Shooters Choice copper remover on the big rifles after lots of shooting) to clean, CLP to coat (Or Militec-1).;)

(edit):

And what romulus says below is right on!

romulus
February 16, 2003, 11:02 AM
I wouldn't let Hoppe's or any ammoniated solvent for that matter sit in a barrel for any length of time...

agony
February 16, 2003, 01:19 PM
I thought Hoppes#9 was a nitro based solvent?

Badger Arms
February 16, 2003, 01:46 PM
With Hoppes or any other solvent, you need a second step of some sort of protectant on the bore. If you don't mind another bottle on the shelf or in the drawer, Tetra-Gun sells a lubricant that's the cat's meow for bore treatment. This is after you use bore solvent of course. Break-Free is an outstanding product if you are only planning on using one product. It's fine to protect your bore for long-term. Once a year, I clean all of my guns I haven't shot and leave some Break-Free in the bore from a wet patch. Before I shoot any gun, I run a dry patch down the bore and dry the chamber as best I can.

If you enjoyed reading about "Break Free CLP good for bore protection?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!