Hey WildAlaska

PDA

50 Shooter
February 16, 2003, 11:15 AM
Did you hear anything about this? Apparently this guy works for the forestry service and was attacked by this Bear while out hunting. 1,600+ lbs. of Griz.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hey WildAlaska" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
50 Shooter
February 16, 2003, 11:20 AM
As a follow up, the guy unloaded a 7mm Mag. into the Griz as it charged. The Bear dropped in front of him and was still alive, he reloaded and shot it in the head. The Bear measured 12'6" at the shoulders!

beckrodgers
February 16, 2003, 11:24 AM
Glad you postesd this. There was a thread on tfl that answered all this ,but I am not good with searches.

Keith
February 16, 2003, 01:17 PM
There was a very LONG thread about this.

The guy was not attacked. It was shot during bear season like a hundred other brown bears that year. The bear is not very large, not even CLOSE to making the record book
The hunter is an air force guy who likely never saw a brown bear before this. The picture got passed around to a bunch more air force people who had never seen a brown bear, then to the world at large growing in size at each step.

Another Urban (rural?) Legend.

Keith

Wildalaska
February 16, 2003, 02:18 PM
Yep it was anice bear, but the story is hwo Keith states...and the internet legend even got some press up here....

WildontbeleiveyourowneyesAlaska

50 Shooter
February 16, 2003, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the info, a friend sent it to me with the header "This guy could use a .50"!

Either way it is a BIG bear and I think I would want my .50 if it was coming at me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hey WildAlaska" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!