Careless RO's

PDA

Yohan
February 16, 2003, 02:09 PM
So, we've got a Range Snob thread, a thread on dog control- and so being a conformist, I thouht I'd post something similiar. Have any of you guys had an encounter with a careless Range Officer before? The only time I remember is when a RO didn't care if we didn't have any ear protection on at an outdoor range in San Angelo, but I guess that doesn't really count as abusive, just careless. Let's hear em! :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Careless RO's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hansolo
February 16, 2003, 03:22 PM
Eh? Can't hear ya. Could ya speak up a little?:scrutiny:

Navy joe
February 16, 2003, 03:55 PM
I had one ask me to fold the bayonet on my MN 44, "We don't need that at the range." I had to explain about the foot of POI difference it caused and how I'd only like to hit the target.

Pappy John
February 16, 2003, 04:11 PM
Ive been shooting for 27+ years and the only times I've encountered "range officers" was during organized competition shooting. All have been well organized and safe. The public ranges in PA created by the game commission are unsupervised ( or at least they were the last time I went to one ) and the private club where I shoot now is self policed. I must be lucky in that I've only had one incident where I had to exercise some impromptu safety education. I gather RO's are much more popular around the rest of the country, from reading all the posts where they are mentioned.

AR-10
February 16, 2003, 05:10 PM
Same here.
Only time I see a Range Officer is at a competition.

El Tejon
February 16, 2003, 05:30 PM
Skuls and competition only.

Yohan, are there ROs on public ranges down there or something?:confused:

Monkeyleg
February 16, 2003, 06:31 PM
Our club is now required by the police (long story) to have RO's at all times. At least a hundred people volunteered, myself included. The local chief is looking for any excuse to shut us down, so I will not let any rule be broken.

It's sad that we're required to have RO's, as it limits when people can shoot. If there's no RO present, there's no shooting. For example, we don't have to show up if it's under 25 degrees. Wintertime has always been my favorite time to shoot, since there's nobody at the range. Now I can't do that, because I need an RO to be there. :rolleyes:

spacemanspiff
February 17, 2003, 06:33 PM
the most careless range i've been to is when i was qualifying for the ccw. one whole section is set aside for training, and the RO doesnt pay attention to it. they assume whomever is instruction the students will keep everything safe.

aside from the two instructions, myself, and maybe two or three others, nearly twenty other people with various levels of firearm experience were fiddling with their weapons, reloading, unloading, wondering how to load, looking down the sights, all behind the line when no one should have been handling their weapons.

me, i'm taking my small duffel bag with me each time i'm up to the line, which holds my pre-loaded magazines, extra ammo, and my carrying case. i only handled my weapon when on the line and before going off, i replaced it in its carrying case and then in my bag, unloaded. everyone else was pointing muzzles every which way, and the instructors werent paying attention. once someone was told to stop what they were doing. but all they had to do was direct people to aim at the berm on the side if they wanted to fiddle with their weapons. i was highly disappointed at the instructors.

edit - at least i didnt have to reshoot in order to qualify. a half dozen others werent even hitting the paper at 7 yards.

If you enjoyed reading about "Careless RO's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!