Good WW2 movies??

PDA

megatronrules
February 16, 2003, 05:45 PM
Saving Private Ryan.
Enemy at the Gates, was good
Any others? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good WW2 movies??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
February 16, 2003, 05:47 PM
Winter War.
Stalingrad.

priv8ter
February 16, 2003, 05:51 PM
My favorite WWII movie, up to the point that I saw Saving Private Ryan, was:

The Big Red 1

It even has Luke Skywalker!!!!

Schuey2002
February 16, 2003, 05:53 PM
Band of Brothers.. (It's too good to be left off any list..) ;)

Stephen Ewing
February 16, 2003, 05:54 PM
Das Boot is still the only good sub film ever made.
Stalingrad
Talvisota (Finnish Winter War, technically)
Die Brucke (The Bridge)
Idi Y Smotri (Come and See)
Stalag 17
The Why We Fight series

Getting sort of dodgy, as it's Stalinist Russia right before the war, but Burnt by the Sun was good. From Here To Eternity has its fans, Bridge on the River Kwai was decent.

Okay, so I like war movies where everybody dies and I can't stomach "let's have fun kicking butt" flicks. I also like Breaker Morant, Paths of Glory, and Zulu. Sue me.
:neener:

Steve

Edit: Forgot Mister Roberts, The Caine Mutiny, Catch 22, Casablanca, The Best Years of Our Lives, Battleground, and A Bridge Too Far. I've always been unreasonably fond of The Immortal Battalion and also of One of Our Aircraft is Missing.

cdbeaver
February 16, 2003, 05:56 PM
I'm with Schuey. "Band of Brothers" is by far the best war movie ever made.

"Saving Private Ryan" is a not-so-close second. IMO

Dannyboy
February 16, 2003, 05:59 PM
I've always liked A Bridge Too Far and The Longest Day .

Nightcrawler
February 16, 2003, 06:02 PM
Tora! Tora! Tora! is one of my favorites. Long and in depth, but very very well done and masterfully researched. I haven't bothered seeing that Disney abomination with Ben "Dude where's my Ambercrombie hat?" Affleck...

Schuey2002
February 16, 2003, 06:11 PM
Dirty Dozen
The Guns of Navarone
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Patton
The Great Escape

... to name but a few of the greats.;)

FormUnknown
February 16, 2003, 06:37 PM
The longest day.

Steve in PA
February 16, 2003, 06:44 PM
The Battle of the Bulge
To Hell and Back
Sands of Iwo Jima

Citadel99
February 16, 2003, 06:48 PM
I've always been partial to Kelly's Heroes.

Blackhawk
February 16, 2003, 06:57 PM
They all require the perspective that they're embellished dramatizations that are at the same time sanitized to keep the squeamish from being revolted.

War is both less exciting and more terrible than portrayed, and there's no way to communicate the noise and odors involved.

Tora, Tora, Tora and The Battle of the Bulge are a couple of my favorites along with The Longest Day, Tuskeegee Airmen, 12 O'Clock High, and a slew of others.

Topgun
February 16, 2003, 07:29 PM
that ...submarine....movies WERE....the longest day.

Ed Straker
February 16, 2003, 07:31 PM
Thanks for mentioning 'Tuskeegee Airmen'. Also, 'Das Boot', 'The Longest Day', 'Sands of Iwo Jima' (which was still shown to recruits on Parris Island in 1989, along with 'The D.I.'), 'Saving Private Ryan', how about 'Flying Fortress', which I haven't seen in a long time, and 'Memphis Belle'? 'U-571'...

hops
February 16, 2003, 07:51 PM
where eagles dare.
the eagle has landed.
the enemy below.

Johnpl
February 16, 2003, 08:07 PM
"Twelve O'Clock High"
"A Rumor of War"

Kharn
February 16, 2003, 08:43 PM
Band of Brothers, even though its 10 hours long its a great viewing experience.

Kharn

PerfectGlock
February 16, 2003, 09:00 PM
Pearl Harbor:p

I haven't seen too many, but I think these are the best:

Band of Brothers (I rent one disc every weekend from Blockbuster to lengthen the experience)
Saving Private Ryan
Stalingrad
The Pianist (does that count?)

hansolo
February 16, 2003, 09:06 PM
"Battleground"
"Hell is for Heroes"
"Go for Broke"

Slow
February 16, 2003, 09:51 PM
The longest day, A bridge too far, Battleground, The enemy below, To hell and back, Where eagles dare,Saving Private Ryan,Sands of Iwo Jima,Midway,Battle of the Bulge

hjrocket
February 16, 2003, 10:52 PM
No contest:

Battleground ;) ;)

Blain
February 16, 2003, 11:49 PM
PATTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BobP
February 16, 2003, 11:54 PM
Twelve O'Clock High. The opening scene when the B-17s are on final approach is worth the entire rental price.

othermarc
February 17, 2003, 12:23 AM
second vote for Kelly's Heroes....

Hkmp5sd
February 17, 2003, 12:56 AM
I can't believe no one has named The Incredible Mr. Limpet or Operation Petticoat yet. You guys have no taste in good war movies! :)

Blackhawk
February 17, 2003, 01:37 AM
War movies I like have to at least have an historical context.... :rolleyes:

Mike Irwin
February 17, 2003, 02:08 AM
Patton

Cross of Iron

Battle of the Bulge (was on History channel today)

A Bridge Too Far

Mrs. Miniver

The Best Years of Our Lives

SteyrAUG
February 17, 2003, 02:15 AM
BEST little know WWII film.

HBO's When Trumpets Fade. About the Battle of Hurtgen Forest (unknown since it directly preceded the Battle of the Bulge) and came out right before Saving Private Ryan and was eclipsed by the same.

Great movie and I strongly recommend it.

Kahr carrier
February 17, 2003, 02:18 AM
The Bridge over the River Kwai Or TORA,TORA.:)

t-money
February 17, 2003, 10:53 AM
Windtalkers!!

ha ha ha. That movie was actually a discrace. Way too hollywood.

Band of brothers. The cool thing about that is you get to really know the characters.

2dogs
February 17, 2003, 11:06 AM
Kelly's Heroes

Von Ryan's Express

Catch 22

To name a few.

Edit: Oh yeah, Bridge Over the River Kwai

mete
February 17, 2003, 11:14 AM
Best sea story --- "The Cruel Sea " , not hollywood , more realistic.

seldomseen
February 17, 2003, 11:26 AM
I am suprised that no one mentioned "Memphis Belle". It was a decent movie about what the bomber crews had to endure while flying daylight bombing runs into Germany. I liked it because I have an uncle that flew over there as a tail gunner, his plane was shot down and he and his crew were captured. He spent the rest of the war in a prisoner of war camp.

Johnpl
February 17, 2003, 12:12 PM
Scratch my earlier post of "A Rumor of War" as it is a Viet Nam movie.

How about "The War Lover" with Steve McQueen?

Cosmoline
February 17, 2003, 12:21 PM
If you see "The Winter War" in the foreign film section, grab it.

While not perfect "Enemy at the Gates" had some good scenes it in. My girlfriend keeps calling it "Enema at the Gates," though

MrKandiyohi
February 17, 2003, 12:26 PM
Stalag 17

The Great Escape

Schindler's List

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

Sean Smith
February 17, 2003, 01:03 PM
I always enjoyed "Midway."

"Patton" was a great movie and fairly accurate, but it overplayed Patton's eccentricities and underplayed his intelligence and self-education, which were WAY beyond most of his contemporaries.

TheLastBoyScout
February 17, 2003, 01:08 PM
Has anyone else seen When Trumpets Fade ? Its another HBO WWII movie from before BOB, and its a really dark look at infantry combat in the Huertgen. Its pretty decent.

EDIT: never mind AUG already named it. How about A Midnight Clear ( I think thats the title, another HBO movie from this time, except that ones a dark look at the Battle of The Bulge)

Silver Bullet
February 17, 2003, 02:20 PM
Enemy at the Gates, Memphis Belle, Schindler's List

MarineTech
February 17, 2003, 07:23 PM
I know most of these have been listed, but they're some of my favorites and I've got them all in my film library

Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan
Enemy at the Gates
A Bridge Too Far
Tora Tora Tora
Midway
The Longest Day
Battle of the Bulge
Patton
A Walk in the Sun (invasion of Italy)
The Big Red One
Sands of Iwo Jima
Memphis Belle
Das Boot
Run Silent, Run Deep
We Dive at Dawn

gburner
February 17, 2003, 09:19 PM
Das Boot
!2 O'Clock High
Kelly's Heroes
Dirty Dozen
Bridge Too Far

Autolite
February 18, 2003, 12:08 AM
the 'Battle of Britain'

TexasAg
February 18, 2003, 07:29 PM
Yep....When Trumpets Fade, was a great movie about the Hurtgen Forest. We had a TV personality here in Houston, Mr. Paul Bosch, who was a 1st Lt there....he authored an excellant book on the Hurtgen Forest campaign.

As mentioned...The Cruel Sea...excellant movie, read the book by Nicholas Monsarrat.

They Were Expendable....Robert Montgomery, Donna Reed, Ward Bond, John Wayne....PTs early in the war.

Operation Pacific....John Wayne, Patricia Neal....great fleet boat shots.

In Harms Way....John Wayne, Patricia Neal, Kirk Douglas, George Kennedy, Henry Fonda......good WWII naval flick.

The Sea Chase....John Wayne, Lana Turner.....German merchant ship running British blockade.

Sink the Bismark.....great British movie.

Action in the North Atlantic......Ramond Massey, Humphrey Bogart, merchant tanker and liberty ship vs. U-Boats and Luftwaffe.

Under Ten Flags.....about the German commerce raider Atlantis.

Ok...here's one....The Key....starring William Holden and Sophia Loren.....book by Jan De Hartog (The Distant Shore). Great sea story...Loren looks great in pajamas too!

John G
February 18, 2003, 11:02 PM
For accuracy: Das Boot. Simply the best submarine movie ever. Not enough people can sit through three hours of subtitles, though.

For a Nazi-kickin' good time: The Dirty Dozen.

I mean, come on! This flick's got EVERYONE in it.

Lee Marvin
Charles Bronson
Telly Savalas
George Kennedy
Erniest Borgnine
Donald Sutherland
Trini Lopez !! (yeah, the singer)
and Jim Brown!!! yes, Jim Brown!!!!

Ol' Badger
February 19, 2003, 09:24 AM
a german made film about the eastern front! Best part when the Dog Face comes home and finds out that everything he loved in Dressden is gone! And his fat 4F friends are now gestopo thugs that live high on the hog.

Ol' Badger
February 19, 2003, 09:29 AM
another great movie from HBO. That poor guy kept getting promotted when he didnt want anything at all, just to stay alive another day! Went from Pvt. to SGT and then to LT in the space of a week.

Maybe it would have been easier to have shot our youngf men here and save them the trip to France. Damn Frenchies!

If you enjoyed reading about "Good WW2 movies??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!