Quick! 60 Minutes doing "Bowling for Columbine"

PDA

Monkeyleg
February 16, 2003, 07:07 PM
The show just started, and their report on Moore will be the last segment.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick! 60 Minutes doing "Bowling for Columbine"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BamBam
February 16, 2003, 07:38 PM
I'm there.
I'm sure we'll have lots to talk about later.

4v50 Gary
February 16, 2003, 07:48 PM
So, was it pro-Mickey Moore or what?

BamBam
February 16, 2003, 07:55 PM
Kinda softball.
More of a "why he makes the movies he does" piece than a debate of Bowling for Columbine.
Nothing new, really.
Supposed to make you sympathise with MM.......I'd have loved to interview him.

CZ-75
February 16, 2003, 07:59 PM
So, was it pro-Mickey Moore or what?

Of course.

The only good thing was Andy Rooney pillorying the French.

BamBam
February 16, 2003, 08:02 PM
Scathing commentary on the French by Andy Rooney!

Standing Wolf
February 16, 2003, 09:18 PM
My television and V.C.R. continue to keep valuable shelf space in the garage from going to waste.

4v50 Gary
February 16, 2003, 10:34 PM
My television and V.C.R. continue to keep valuable shelf space in the garage from going to waste.

Bravo Standing Wolf!:cool:

clem
February 17, 2003, 02:31 AM
I saw it and I'm still throwing up. That weasel! What a piece of dung.

Justin
February 17, 2003, 02:49 AM
I'd love to interview Moore, too.

Preferably by following him around with a camera held about 6 inches from his face, while peppering him with all sorts of inflamatory comments.

WonderNine
February 17, 2003, 03:06 AM
http://bis.midco.net/cotlod/moore.gif

dinosaur
February 17, 2003, 07:11 AM
I saw that he was on. Unfortunately, the Simpsons 300th episode was on at the same time. :banghead: Oh well, the sacrifices one makes.:neener:

AnklePocket
February 17, 2003, 07:38 AM
Criticizing President Bush for using the death of those on 9/11 to push his war effort forward was a little wrong. Wonder how I'd feel using the Columbine tragedy in the title of my movie to sell tickets if I was from that community. He's a nasty thing. A "thing" at the very minimum.

davera
February 17, 2003, 01:11 PM
But gave me an excuse for a Martini.

They showed a clip from the "Bank giving away a rifle" part of BFC but didn't mention that the rifle had to be picked up at a licensed dealer after satisfying all legal requirements to own it. Why am I not surprised?

Moore criticized "Bush using 3000 dead to further his agenda" without adding that Moore was quoted as wishing the terrorists had picked a spot with more Republicans

Carlos Cabeza
February 17, 2003, 02:30 PM
Sad, pathetic little man................:rolleyes:

spacemanspiff
February 17, 2003, 02:40 PM
in all fairness, since i was so inflammatory on the MM message boards some weeks back, i downloaded BfC and tried to watch it. i made it about 30-40 minutes in before stopping and deleting that trash from my hard drive.
its all propaganda. delivered in a package where if you disagree with moores opinions you must be an idiot. the breaking point for me really was the little cartoon about the europeans who were 'afraid' that they couldnt be free to do what they wanted so they hopped on a ship and came to the americas. then they were 'afraid' of the indians. then they were 'afraid' to do any work for themselves so they kidnapped some slaves. then they were 'afraid' that the slaves were in such great numbers.

it really is a slap in the face of everything this country was founded on: freedoms. moore is saying that America came into existence because of the unfounded fears of paranoid settlers.

moore needs to be shipped to iraq to be one of the human shields.

Monkeyleg
February 17, 2003, 05:31 PM
I loved the little anecdote about Moore crawling backwards when he was an infant. After fifty years, he still navigates using his nether regions.

alan
February 17, 2003, 06:24 PM
I saw the thing last evening, it was the lead segment. No matter how much of a slob Moor might be, he had made some valid points re other matters. For instance, supposedly a publisher requested that he change what he had written. Supposedly Moore refused, and supposedly the publisher got a lot of flack over it. It you saw the clip, you saw that too.

Re the firearms from the bank bit, I wrote to the network, I like to write. Do not expect any sort of respopnse. I also e-mailed Moore, who might or might not reply. We shall see. If anyone is interested, read on, my comments appear below.

Mr. Moore:

The following will address ONLY the above question, in it's several
aspects. Subject line got lost, the question was, From whom, and under what circumstances did you recieve the rifle?

I do not know how many banks are currently offering "premiums" of any sort, firearms, or electric blankets as inducements to prospective depositors, though in the past, many did. At one time, virtually every bank that one looked was offering "pots and or pans" in the way of the above mentioned inducements. As for firearms, The Bank of Bolder, in Colorado was, at one point, a major distributor of Browning shotguns as well as Weatherby rifles, under the banner of what they described as "instant interest". One purchased long term certificates of deposit, the
term depending on the amount of money on deposit, and instead of periodic interest payments, got depending of what was offered at any particular time, either a Browning shotgun or a Weatherby rifle, in accordance with whatever federal and or state or local laws in effect at the time required in the way of paperwork and or specific actions.

The beginning segment, in fact the opening segment of last evenings 60 Minutes, at the very least inferred that you obtained the rifle shown, at the bank. While such transactions, at one time, might have taken place, under existing law, they no longer do. While the bank may offer most any inducement it chooses, in order to obtain more business, it must obey the relevant federal, state and perhaps local laws as they then exist. Existing law, at this juncture, requires that the actual transfer of firearms take place via an FFL, that is through a Federally Licensed Dealer in Firearms, where certain paperwork must be completed, along with the running of a "background check", on the recipient, in
some jurisdictions.

Now then, if the film segment above mentioned, and shown on the 60 MInutes broadcast is "historical", I assume that you or your organization provided this clip to the broadcasts producers, then this fact, being significant, most certainly should have been mentioned. Such mention was neither made nor was it observed by the writer, which leads one to conclude that you have represented such transactions as legally doable under current law. As you should, and likely do know, such claim is false.

May I state that the knowing and deliberate making of a false statement, said statement made with the intent to deceive or to create a false impression in the minds of listeners or viewers is in fact lying. We live in a relatively free country, where one might, among other things, many other things, take, hold and distribute all manner of opinions or positions on a wide variety of subjects. There is no real need to make false statements or presentations, for the doing of such does significant damage to the speaker, in this case to you, and to such arguments as he might offer, or causes support.

In simple terms Mike, you have succeeded in shooting yourself in the foot. Now would you care to explain, why in hell you would possibly want to do such as that?

spacemanspiff
February 17, 2003, 06:37 PM
my understanding is that the bank holds a FFL. i read that somewhere. dont know if its true, but i think the bank employee in BfC may have said something to that effect.

heres something else thats disturbing. moore has said he will auction the rifle off, but that he will find a "creative" way to destroy the gun before delivering the auctioned weapon.

CZ-75
February 17, 2003, 06:43 PM
But wasn't that gun a hunting rifle?

We know that the antis don't want your hunting rifle. :rolleyes:

another okie
February 17, 2003, 08:21 PM
He did admit that it isn't the guns that cause us to kill one another. But he didn't have any other explanation, either.

CZ-75
February 18, 2003, 12:09 AM
I think I'd second Chuck Heston's view that our diversity works against us, whether that's PC or not. Come get me Michael Moore.

Many of the most brutal conflicts have an ethnic or religious component.

This country is only really united when we face an outside threat.

The funny, or sad thing, is that a great deal of the crime in this country is usually intraethnic.

The crime rate for caucasians is approximately equal to what one would find in their ancestral countries in Europe.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick! 60 Minutes doing "Bowling for Columbine"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!