Any North Carolina members here who own a fully automatic weapon?

PDA

Exposure
July 27, 2004, 10:04 PM
I am moving to Charlotte soon and it looks like all firearms that fall under the NFA are illegal to own there. Can someone shed some light on this for me? I may have a bit of a problem here. HELP!!!! :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Any North Carolina members here who own a fully automatic weapon?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
July 27, 2004, 11:25 PM
May want to check again and check with the Sheriff there.

mountain_cowboy
July 28, 2004, 10:20 AM
I don't, personally, but I know plenty of NC residents that do.

prisoner6
July 28, 2004, 10:30 AM
I live in Charlotte (Mecklenberg County) and the Sheriff is known for not signing off on Class III at all. Some of the surrounding counties are somewhat less restrictive though. I know of one local range where you can rent full auto. If you have any questions about the area or anything once you're here I'll be happy to help with what I can.

Exposure
July 28, 2004, 11:26 AM
Thanks guys! I feel much better now. Apparently the webpage I was reading is out of date or simply incorrect.

prisoner6- I will be down there in about 2 weeks. I can't wait. Perhaps when I am settled in I could get you to give me some information on ranges, gun stores, etc.....

ScottsGT
July 28, 2004, 12:41 PM
Well, If you can't, bring them on down to Columbia and I'll take car of them for you! :D

prisoner6
July 28, 2004, 12:47 PM
No problem, just give me a shout and I'll try to answer what I can and get you in touch with someone for those I can't.

boing
July 28, 2004, 06:01 PM
From http://www.ncsheriffs.org/firearms.htm
Also from http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/guns.htm (link to .pdf, updated slightly, but not relevant to this discussion)

Under the "Weapons of Mass Destruction" section, it shows the typical exemptions from prohibition: banks, merchants, cops, soldiers, etc... There is also a reference to 'licensed collectors":

"2.Importers, manufacturers, dealers, and collectors of firearms, ammunition, or destructive devices validly licensed under the laws of the United States or the State of North Carolina, while lawfully engaged in activities authorized under their licenses;"

Does that mean the Sheriff is authorized to issue a license/permit/whatever just for collecting NFA stuff?

Also referenced under the separate Machine Gun section:

"Therefore, certain conditions must be met by the possessor of a machine gun before it may be lawfully kept in North Carolina. First, the possessor must fall within one of the specifically listed exceptions to the general prohibition of ownership. Second, one must also apply for a permit to possess the weapon from the Sheriff. "

And listing as included among the exemptions:

"5.The manufacture, use, or possession of such weapons for scientific or experimental purposes when such manufacture, use, or possession is lawful under federal laws and the weapon is registered with a Federal agency, and a permit to manufacture, use, or possess the weapon has been obtained by the Sheriff of the county in which the weapon is located."

So under the MG section, it implies that you must have a license from the Sheriff, and it must be for "scientific or experimental purposes".

:confused:

DMK
July 28, 2004, 08:21 PM
I don't have one, but I met a gentleman at the local range who had an M16 with him. I fired it, it was the real deal. I don't know what kind of hoops he had to jump through, but he was retired, soft spoken, knowledgable of the technical/legal issues and seemed very respectable to me. I doubt very much that it was illegal. I just didn't ask what was required to get one. I have no interest in a hole in my wallet to throw ammo into.

Landric
July 29, 2004, 10:53 AM
I worked with a guy at a gun shop in NC who legally owned several automatic weapons. He was legally a resident of Halifax County, and there Sheriff there signed the paperwork for him.

It is legal, but it can be kind of tricky, depending on your county of residence.

hksw
July 29, 2004, 01:33 PM
Shooter's Express just west of Charlotte has a couple of full-autos they rent out at their range. 1 Uzi, 1 MP5. Have to use their ammo though, IIRC. Between Charlotte and Gastonia near Mount Holly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any North Carolina members here who own a fully automatic weapon?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!