Para's "P" Series handguns

PDA

macavada
February 16, 2003, 09:39 PM
Anybody have any opinions on the P series? I've been looking at them for a while. I'm thinking about a P10-45 or P10-40 for concealed carry. Are these little guns hard to handle? I've got medium sized hands. The question of "shootability" comes to mind. Opinions good or bad? I'm not too crazy about double action only models, I'm only interested in Para's P series.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Para's "P" Series handguns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mr Jody Hudson
February 16, 2003, 09:43 PM
I strongly suggest that you find a place to shoot one.

I have owned a lot of .45s and currently I only own one... the P-14 .45 ParaOrdnance and it is very, very, accurate and very, very, dependable. Also, I was able to obtain a lot of 15 and 17 round magazines for it.

I have ordinarily had mostly single stack .45s BUT there has been a big change in the criminal tactics in recent years and that is to attack in larger numbers... That is why I decided to get the large capacity .45 and that is what forced me to try the Para and I'm glad it did. It is a fine, fine, pistol. :D

macavada
February 16, 2003, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the reply. But, specifically, what about the compact P-10 or P-12 models with the 3.5" barrel? Are these tough to handle? I could go with .40 S&W or .45 auto depending on the recoil factor.

Mr Jody Hudson
February 16, 2003, 10:03 PM
Personally I'm partial to the .45 as there are far more loadings for it and a LOT of cheap practice ammo.

I am not familiar with any of the other Paras but they have a good reputation according to my experience and research.

10-Ring
February 16, 2003, 10:24 PM
I had P10-45 for a short time last year. It was a fine gun & was easy to shoot. The problem I had w/ it was re: the rear sight. It kpt falling off. Finally, after a trip back to the factory, I sold it & moved on. If you find one you like that fits & works well for you, KEEP IT! They're nice guns.

SADshooter
February 17, 2003, 10:16 AM
The P-10 has had a reputation for poor reliability, being an early sub-sub-compact design. This may not be an issue on newer pistols. I've had a P-13 for years, and I love it, but it's heavy and I've poured money after reliability fixes. If you're set on a Para compact widebody 1911, I recommend the P-12. It's a better compromise of size to control and barrel length.

jonptoms
February 17, 2003, 11:29 AM
I've looked at the p1045, but I have a para companion (3.5" LDA single stack) and I really like it. The trigger is super smooth it is way nicer than a glock or any other non-sa trigger I've tried. It comes close to some SA triggers. Try one if you have a chance.

the p1045 isn't in po's catalog any more...

critter
February 17, 2003, 11:34 AM
I own a P-14 and a P-16, both double stack hi cap guns. They are accurate, reliable and easy to shoot.

Having 'played with' the P-10, it seems like a good gun and recoil is mitigated by the wide grip. It is, however, too short in the grip for ME to get a good hold on (big hands). I like the 'feel of control' better with the P-12 and longer grips.

The 'try one' is GOOD adivse-at a rent-a-shooting range or even handle each one at a gun show.

Good luck choosing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Para's "P" Series handguns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!