Closet wall safe recommendations

PDA

LTrain
July 30, 2004, 07:02 AM
Hey fellas. I'm moving into a townhouse with a friend of mine, he's renting me a room. It's got a decent sized closet, and I want to install one of those long/thin/shallow wall safes, that go in-between the wall studs. Right now my 'collection' is small, but it does include two longguns.

So I was wondering if you guys could give some recommendations on good models, and places to buy them on the cheap. Thanks a lot!

Larry

PS - I tried doing a search, but couldn't come up with anything relating to my question...

If you enjoyed reading about "Closet wall safe recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
biere
July 30, 2004, 05:56 PM
A search for locker in the forum of "firearm accessories" gets 12 results.

I personally don't recomend the lockers since they are made like many add ons for roll around tool boxes. I have busted several open when I lost a key, bought one used that had a bad lock, or whatever.

I do readily agree that they are better than nothing.

One thing you might also do if you are accessing the studs of the wall is run a heavy cable through or around the guns and what not. Some folks use bicycle locks and what not, but anything coated so the gun is not harmed would work. And shotguns are easy since you can run a cable through the action and down the barrel. Some stuff all you can do is go through the trigger gaurd. You could easily use both this idea and a locker since it is easy to go through the walls or back of the locker with the cable, and once the locker is mounted those holes should be protected from attack.

If you read that forum I mentioned above there a lot of threads about safes and storing guns and what not, and some other searches will turn other stuff up.

And you might run a search for locker on the general forum.

Car Knocker
July 30, 2004, 05:58 PM
We have a Gunlocker pistol safe. They make a long gun model also. We've had it about a year and are quite happy with it. It uses a rechargeable battery (has a digital keypad) and is still on the original charge from time of installation.

Installation in a plaster and lath wall required a Sawzall, drill and drill bit, ratchet, medium extension and a socket. Oh yeah, a pencil, also. Probably took 45 minutes.

It's made of heavy sheetmetal and could probably be popped by a determined person with a couple of common handtools in under 2 minutes. Therefore, we placed it in a hidden location. THAT'S the primary deterrent.

An option you may wish to consider is a heavier-duty lockbox lag-screwed to the floor joists or into the concrete slab using anchors.

LTrain
July 31, 2004, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. Sorry, my searching skills are weak, I used "closet wall safe" for my terms. I'll let ya know what I end up with.

Larry

tcsd1236
July 31, 2004, 10:28 AM
http://www.gunlocker.com/specs.htm

I have had a Riflelocker in the bedroom for a few years now. Its a good item for what its intended to do. Took about 30 minutes to install.

If you enjoyed reading about "Closet wall safe recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!