Enfield stock removal...HELP!!!

PDA

PAC 762
July 31, 2004, 09:54 PM
I have a No 4 Mk1 I bought in fair condition for a refurb project. I cannot for the life of me get the butt stock off. After spraying WD40 down the hole and letting it sit overnight to penetrate, I viced the rifle and used a giant craftsman screwdriver and channel locks. I actually bent the brand new screw driver!!!

Has anyone run into a similar problem? The hole is too deep for and impact wrench. :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Enfield stock removal...HELP!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ian
August 1, 2004, 12:32 AM
I didn't have a problem taking mine off, but it wasn't as tight as yours sounds. Also, I used a "screwdriver" made of half-inch steel stock specifically made for Enfield stocks...

PAC 762
August 1, 2004, 01:24 AM
The screwdriver I have is 1/4", I believe. Where does one purchase an Enfield sprcific screwdriver?

effengee
August 1, 2004, 02:10 AM
Any good auto parts retailer has the 1/2" ridiculously large flat-blade.
Sears Craftsmen are lifetime guaranteed. Just don't tell them you were working on a gun with it... :D
The inside screw on the gun won't really ever get seen by anybody but the likes of us, and it seems safe to assume it's not a museum piece...
The main difference between the gunsmith's driver and any other is the shape of the point. Any given automotive screwdriver has a Vee-shaped point ending in a small flat edge. >
The gunsmith ones are the exact same thickness for about 1/4" so that they won't mar the heads of the screws. >-
That stock may have swelled and the screw may be rusty.
Try another lubricant like PB blaster or a type with an anti rust catalyst.

http://p077.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm49

This is the web forum for an internet buddy of mine who revamped the old Lee-Enfield forum... Everything you never knew you never knew about the venerable old S.M.L.E. series of firearms... They're good people...

PAC 762
August 1, 2004, 12:17 PM
Thanks! :)

I'm going to go return my busted 1/4" screwdriver and pic up the biggest one I can find. I'll also try some PB Blaster or liquid wrench or something to that effect.

PAC 762
August 1, 2004, 03:05 PM
I got it. Liquid wrench is amazing! I sprayed some on and let it soak for less than a minute and the bolt came right out using a screwdriver and wrench. I didn't even need to vice it.

Skofnung
August 1, 2004, 04:25 PM
Just out of curiosity, did you remove the forestock first?

PAC 762
August 2, 2004, 12:12 AM
No. I'm following the directions on surplusrifle.com. I'm currently struggling to get the fore-end off.

swingset
August 2, 2004, 02:00 AM
Removing the forestock first is only a requirement of the No1 rifles, not the No4.

The foreend will likely require tapping off. Use a piece of soft wood to place against the rear of the forend once it's completely disassembled, and gently tap with a mallet until it pops off. They can be stubborn.

effengee
August 2, 2004, 11:10 AM
The stuff is just plain amazing when it comes to removing rust...
Repeated soakings would allow bolts on the Titanic to be hand-removed.
The stocks on my 1917 SMLE #1Mk.3* were quite troublesome, too.
Prodigious use of liquid wrench was indispensible.
Take your time and NEVER force anything.
This is definately not a case where a bigger hammer will help.
Good luck on the project. Keep us posted...
Jimbo

longrifleman
August 2, 2004, 04:53 PM
Liquid Wrench is good. KryOil is better!

Mk VII
August 2, 2004, 07:04 PM
Enfield stock bolts are often rusted in place and considerable effort can be needed to move them. The proper tool fits into a bit-and-brace and has a brass bushing (o.d. 0.725") behind the blade to keep it square to the slot.
http://www.fototime.com/344602CD581FD1D/standard.jpg

PAC 762
August 2, 2004, 09:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. I posted an entension to this on the gunsmith forum with a new problem: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94930

This project is not going too smoothly. :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Enfield stock removal...HELP!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!