Example Guns

PDA

Dot_mdb
August 1, 2004, 04:37 PM
Do you own any guns that you keep around just because they are examples of a "type of gun."

For instance:

I own a S&W Model 28 that I don't enjoy shooting a whole lot but I keep it so that I have an example of an "N" frame Smith.

I own a Series 70 Colt that I don't shoot much but I keep it because everyone needs a 1911 type of gun.

I own a Marlin 336C that I haven't put more than 150 rounds through in the last 25 years. I keep it because I want to own an example of a lever action rifle.

Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "Example Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
litman252
August 1, 2004, 04:59 PM
Not a bad idea, of course I shoot most of my examples.;)
I did recently pick up a Mauser .308 so I'd have a good military design, bolt action in .308.
Tony

benEzra
August 1, 2004, 08:46 PM
Well, there's a few I'd LIKE to have on that basis:

Mosin Nagant M1891 and 91/30

SAR-2 (to stand in for AK-74) in the "history of Russian firearms" collection:D

AN-94 (OK, now I'm dreaming).

Makarov.

I used to have a NAA .22LR mini-revolver that I almost kept on that basis (example of nearly the smallest real gun imaginable), but I needed the money so I sold it.

Jim K
August 1, 2004, 08:54 PM
Any collection is made up of "example" guns. The alternatives would be unique "one of a kind" guns (expensive) or "all of a kind" (requires a LOT of room). I once told a friend about a collector who "has every handgun used by the combatants in WWII". He asked how big the buildings were. Of course, I then realized what I had said and revised it to "an example of each type of handgun..."

Jim

mummac
August 2, 2004, 02:47 AM
Nagant M44, CZ-52 and a Spanish FR-7.

ENC
August 2, 2004, 07:00 AM
Yeah I kinda do that all the time. The problem is I kinda wind up shooting them all the time also.

thumbtack
August 2, 2004, 08:09 AM
I have a Ted Williams 30-30, that I don't shoot because I don't really care for lever action.

scbair
August 2, 2004, 08:51 AM
Yep; a S&W M1903 Hand Ejector .32, to prove to some "know-it-alls" that S&W DID make solid framed centerfires smaller than the J-frames!

Also, a NAA .22 LR, as already mentioned, just 'cause it's so darned small & cute. Too small to be really useful, IMHO (as opposed to its big brother, a .22 magnum Black Widow, with slightly larger grip frame, useable sights, and enough muzzle velocity to ensure good penetration).

Weimadog
August 2, 2004, 03:00 PM
(get ready to cringe) a Glock 36 as an example of a .45

A Nagant revolver as an example of weirdness

A chrome plated .32 rimfire revolver, as an example of a "days gone by" pocket pistol

An Ivers-Johnson .32 centerfire (.32 short maybe?) as an example of a gun with a picture of a really cool looking owl on the grips.

Weimadog

Amish_Bill
August 2, 2004, 06:57 PM
It's not that I need examples of everything. It's that when I'm taking a newby out I'd like them to be able to try a few different .22s and to see what the difference is between a basic 1911a1 and a tuned custom shop gun, a full size vs a lightweight 4", a Beretta vs Glock vs Sig vs Walther vs Keltec ...

... Yeah... that's the ticket....

If you enjoyed reading about "Example Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!