Greatest gun TV show of all time?

PDA

2dogs
February 17, 2003, 11:13 AM
I'd have to say Gunsmoke or The Rifleman, oh or Have Gun Will Travel.

Younger folks will have to take my word for it.:D

Any others, old or new?

If you enjoyed reading about "Greatest gun TV show of all time?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4v50 Gary
February 17, 2003, 11:34 AM
Everything you need to know about espionage, covert operations and intelligence gathering. You got to love the Chief's weapon wall.

2dogs
February 17, 2003, 11:37 AM
Get Smart

And the cone of silence, and Hymie.:D

4v50 Gary
February 17, 2003, 11:45 AM
Shoe-telephone. "Excuse me, your shoe is ringing."

cordex
February 17, 2003, 11:53 AM
Firefly.

Airwolf
February 17, 2003, 11:56 AM
http://flymeaway.net/images/sle6-6.jpg

ACP230
February 17, 2003, 11:58 AM
"Combat" comes to mind immediaetly. The Sgt. always carried a Thompson.

FCoelho
February 17, 2003, 12:04 PM
MIAMI VICE

Rusher
February 17, 2003, 12:12 PM
Sledge hammer was about the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FCoelho
February 17, 2003, 12:27 PM
Come on, guys! Where else could you see a Steyr AUG, Bren Ten, Detonics Combat Master, Detonics Scoremaster, S&W 4506, Sig P220, sawed-off pump shotgun, and a bunch of other tools of the trade every week on television? Not to mention the cars! To top it off, the show was produced by Michael Mann with musical score by Jan Hammer!

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=119515

garrettwc
February 17, 2003, 12:36 PM
For sheer GPM (guns per minute) it has to be the A-Team. Not very accurate but lots of usage.

Honorable mention to Starsky & Hutch. 6" Colt Python and an S&W 39, not to mention that car:D

Airwolf
February 17, 2003, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I'll admit it. I was a huge Miami Vice fan when it ran originally.

I wasn’t into the guns then but loved the cars, location, action and music.

I’ve even got the soundtrack CD. :D

I’ll have to catch some episodes now that I’m a certified Gun-Nut to appreciate that aspect of the show.

Pappy John
February 17, 2003, 12:42 PM
I'll second "Firefly" for 'Vera' alone! I hope they DVD that short-lived series.

MarineTech
February 17, 2003, 12:50 PM
Anybody besides me remember the original SWAT program back in the late 70's early 80's.

Airwolf
February 17, 2003, 12:55 PM
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-1478/

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Mptv/1062/14618-0001.jpg

FCoelho
February 17, 2003, 12:59 PM
Steve Forrest, Rod Perry, Jim Coleman, Bob Urich and Mark Shera. I used to love that show. It was the first television program to focus on the AR-15 and guys in BDUs. I think it lasted only one season. I saw it on cable recently but I can’t recall the channel.

10-Ring
February 17, 2003, 01:04 PM
Lately, it's been that show (not even sure of the name) w/ Tiffany Thiessan on & her stainless USP compact....crappy show, but man come on for eye candy, I'm there.

As for all time fav, I gotta go w/ Get Smart. Dr. Evil ain't got jack on Max!

keyhole
February 17, 2003, 01:13 PM
Well Vice was pretty good, and they did some reserch on th types of guns, and did host a lot of people. Remember willie Nelson, that played the ol' Texas Ranger? Or G. Gordon Liddy playin the badass Capt. Real Estate? did have some good ones there.

Loach
February 17, 2003, 01:20 PM
Ummmmmm..... American Shooter?

Politically Incorrect
February 17, 2003, 01:23 PM
Just think, if the A-Team used AR-15s instead of the Mini-14s, then they would have most likely cause their enemies much more casualties. :neener:

I like American Shooter and History Channel's Tales of the Gun for nonfiction tv shows.

When I was a teenager, there was a show called Nasty Boys and they had another girl sing Janet Jackson's song of the same name. It was a special formed to take out drug dealers. They all wore black ninja-like outfits to bust the people they've been working with undercover.

I think it only lasted one season. Anyone remember that?

foghornl
February 17, 2003, 01:30 PM
Gunsmoke....Best for Safe Rifle Storage (Watch the end credits of the show..the rifles are in a rack, with a padlocked chain through the levers) 6:00AM Eastern Time Sunday on TVLand.

Rifleman for quick shots with a compact tricked-out Winchester in .44-40.

Combat! for the WW2-era show. Vic Morrow as Sgt Saunders with the Tommy Gun, and lotza guys with M-1's.

Get Smart for "The Chief's" weapon wall.

Sledgehammer, just beacuse everyone needs a "loose cannon"

SkaerE
February 17, 2003, 02:04 PM
The Simpsons, by far. :)

gotta say though, for plain ol use of cool weapons cant really beat Stargate SG1 or Farscape

BerettaNut92
February 17, 2003, 02:07 PM
King of the Hill. Other than the satire on Dale's lifestyle, Hank Hill and Bobby promote shooting as a family activity.

Blain
February 17, 2003, 02:19 PM
http://www.chaelyndra.com/ateam/gallery/dsgpfcs.jpg

http://www.chaelyndra.com/ateam/graphics/TeamLI.jpg

http://www.posternow.com/photos/imagem/a/a6719.jpg

http://www.buyersmls.com/americantv/tthrow.JPG

Mr. T for President!!!!!!
http://www.stormpages.com/television/ateam/tpresident.htm

Schuey2002
February 17, 2003, 02:25 PM
Miami Vice is the hands down winner !! :D

Schuey2002
February 17, 2003, 02:28 PM
Hopefully Shooting USA can quickly join this "Greatest gun TV show of all time" list..;)

Blain
February 17, 2003, 02:35 PM
No one beats the A-Team, brother!

BerettaNut92
February 17, 2003, 02:35 PM
"I pity the fool who get a Glock with the wrong serial number! Get an HK, suckah!" :D

Big Mike
February 17, 2003, 02:42 PM
Miami Vice

Cable?-Stargate

jmbg29
February 17, 2003, 03:15 PM
I PITY THE FO' THAT DOESN"T SAY A TEAM! :D

Airwolf
February 17, 2003, 03:32 PM
I pull an "oldie but goodie" from TFL posted by our own Drizzt

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=123048

Did anyone see Farscape? This is one of the best shows around right now. Great writing, great cast, great everything.

Anyhow, at the end of this last episode, the main character, John Crichton walks in, tired from the previous shennagins (I know I didn't spell that right....), and one of the characters says that a warrior must keep his strength up. Crichton says that he is not a warrior, to which the old lady asks him why he carries a gun.

His reply? 2 words..... "Second Amendment."

In any discussion about guns and TV, that has to put a show near the top.

For those of you wondering, I believe the episode was #407 John Quixote. (based on the date of posting). I'm still looking for a transcript. None of the review/synopsis seem have the quote. (Duh, I wonder why not? :scrutiny: )

3 gun
February 17, 2003, 04:54 PM
Another vote for Combat.

Kestryll
February 17, 2003, 05:18 PM
SLEDGE HAMMER ROCKS!!!!!!!
How can you beat a car with an " I love violence" bumper sticker!?! The LAW rocket in the trunk? The time Sledge screwed a styrofoam cup looking thing on the barrel of his gun: "Is that a silencer?" Sledge: No, it's my own invention, a loudener"

Sledge was my role model in my teens! this could probably explain ALOT!!

Politically Incorrect,
I remember "Nasty Boys", with that big Lamborghini 4x4 and the nice guns! Another good show that didn't last.

gburner
February 17, 2003, 06:05 PM
Rat Patrol...

Lots of MaDuece action mouted in the backs of old Willys Jeeps. Who knew a .50 MG and a couple of grenades would blow up Panzer tanks????? :rolleyes:

Wayne D
February 17, 2003, 06:47 PM
The A-team did a lot of shooting, but I don't remember them hitting anybody.:D

My vote is for "Miami Vice", especially the "Hit Man" episode, with Jim Zubioni (sp?) doing that quick draw, double tap to the chest and head shot in real time with a 1911.

Autolite
February 18, 2003, 12:23 AM
The 'Andy Griffith Show' or maybe the 'Man from U.N.C.L.E.'

Marshall
February 18, 2003, 12:45 AM
Combat, Man from Uncle, Rat Patrol, you guys are pullin out all the stops! :what:

"I love it when a plan comes together!"
~~Hannibal~~
http://www.chaelyndra.com/ateam/gallery/dsgpfcs.jpg

Sactown
February 18, 2003, 01:30 AM
Stargate is my vote. Whoever picks out their hardware sure has nice tastes. I've seen SAWs, FN P90s, M4s, MP5s, SPAS12s, and some kinda semi-auto shotgun that looks like an M16 on 'roids.

sm
February 18, 2003, 01:52 AM
Combat, Rat Patrol, Paladin, Gunsmoke,Lone Ranger, Hop-a-Long Cassidy, Ciso Kid, Maverick...Hunter, Mannix...

4570Rick
February 18, 2003, 02:32 AM
Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, Rifleman, these were the shows I grew up on. But you're forgetting Steve McQueen in The Bounty Hunter, Brodrick Crawford in Highway Patrol, and who was the guy that played Johnny Yuma in The Rebel? :p

Am I really that old? :uhoh:

Leadbutt
February 18, 2003, 03:51 AM
Naw your all out to lunch the best by far was the original
American Sportsman,

gburner
February 18, 2003, 09:42 AM
"Hi, this is Curt Gowdy. On American Sportsman this week, join me, Phil Harris and Grits Gresham as we stalk our elusive pry through the Paramas LandFill for a rat shoot and bar-b-que that you won't wanna miss."

Todays show brought to you by Remington, Jack Daniels and Bayer Asprin.:rolleyes:

BenW
February 18, 2003, 10:38 AM
Well, I have to put my vote in for the Rifleman. It didn't have A-Team "look at all the guns and shooting" scenes. Guns were just part of the community and were shown in the show as having a use just like a shovel or a hammer. Plus it was considered absolutely normal for the Rifleman to have his 10 year old boy carry his rifle for him while he was loading a sack of grain or something. Try getting that by today's censors.

Silver Bullet
February 18, 2003, 01:59 PM
Probably Rifleman, but Have Gun Will Travel would be close.

Ya gotta love Sledgehammer, though. Sort of a Maxwell Smart character with a Dirty Harry reverence for his weapon.

MonkeyMan
February 18, 2003, 02:09 PM
Nick Adams was "The Rebel". I guess I'm that old too:what:

2dogs
February 18, 2003, 02:19 PM
The Rebel- not PC (confederate) and not legal (sawed off shotgun).

http://www.womenwritersblock.com/ourfavwest7.htm

Silver Bullet
February 18, 2003, 02:48 PM
I remember The Rebel. The sawed-off shotgun was referred to as a scattergun, and for a while that was my pretend gun of choice.

DamnedDirtyApe
February 18, 2003, 02:50 PM
Can't believe nobody's mentioned Tour of Duty.

60's, 16's, arty, airstrikes, 1911's, tanks, bazookas, et al.

Little or no kissy-face & squeezy-buns.

Autolite
February 18, 2003, 08:44 PM
'Cannon'. I can't recall what he carried for a sidearm but he drove a really cool Lincoln ...

DeltaElite
February 18, 2003, 08:49 PM
Sledge Hammer was the bomb. :D
My favorite episode was when he got fired and became a school crossing guard, with a 44 Magnum. ROFL

Sledge Hammer's official site (http://www.sledgehammeronline.com/)

BlackArrow
February 18, 2003, 09:20 PM
Right now the best going is on the History channel, the history of the gun :D It rocks!:neener:

3 gun
February 19, 2003, 10:15 AM
Rat Patrol.. almost forgot that one. Thought about it last night at work. Right up there with Combat as my favorite Saturday afternoon show. I'll always have a soft spot for The Rifleman. I was named by my brother for his favorite from the show.. Mark.

TheFrontRange
February 19, 2003, 10:34 AM
Has no one but me had that classic "Hawaii Five-O" come to mind? Especially the earlier ones before they hit the 70s and those horrible leisure suits McGarrett started wearing while off-duty.

In some of the early shows Steve is packing his revolver in a shoulder holster that has no off-side strap running around his other shoulder...how does that thing stay in place? And I could be wrong, but it seems like at other times he wore a shoulder rig that had a strap running across his chest instead of his back...super-duper concealment there, but I guess his electric-blue suit jacket would cover it okay.

Once or twice while in situations that would have been better handled by a SWAT team, I think I remember our hero using an
M-1 carbine and later a Remington 870 with that nifty factory top-folding stock.

DDGator
February 19, 2003, 04:18 PM
How about CHiPs?

Just kidding -- I believe there is actually only one episode in the whole run where they draw their guns and actually point them at someone. Normally they just remove their dazed and injured criminals from their recently crashed vehicles.

I also used to love the way T.J. Hooker could stop fleeing bad guys by throwing his PR-24 like a boomerang.

50 Freak
February 19, 2003, 04:31 PM
Okay, anyone remember the "soldier of fortune" series.

A group of spec ops mercenaries who carried silenced mp5's and a PSG-1 everyone now and then. People got killed (unlike the A-team) and one of the mercs was a hottie!!!!!!

Great show until they brought that freak Denise Rodman on.

Otherwise StarGate is pretty good now. The AR15 type shotgun on "roids" by the was is a USAS-12.

sixgun_symphony
February 19, 2003, 04:55 PM
Stargate, Miami Vice, and there was a show in the mid 80's about an American police detective in the UK with a gorgeous blonde English detective lady as a partner. Does anyone remember the show? What was that title?

What was that show from ten years back about the Pony Express? There were alot of cap-n-ball sixguns and even a Hawkens rifle in that show. Unfortunately it had the modern PCism in the casting and the script.

There was "Lonesome Dove : The Outlaw Years". The saloonkeeper was really kewl in that show. It had a lady gunsmith which I though was more PCism.

TheFrontRange
February 19, 2003, 04:59 PM
Ohmigosh, CHiPs! I didn't realize there was even ONE episode where they "slapped leather." What make/model revolvers did they carry, anyway...could anyone tell from the brief glimpses you got as the guns rode in their holsters? From the grip profiles they looked sort of like Colts to me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Greatest gun TV show of all time?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!