Mods:fingers on the trigger

PDA

hansolo
February 17, 2003, 11:22 AM
I was starting to read a thread regarding a subject of immediate
relevance to many THR members: the storm on the East Coast.(Vorpal started it.) A Moderator immediately closed the thread down. If this forum is not about helping each other as opposed to just a source of info, then maybe we need a "non-Gun Related section. I have found many threads locked down prematurely recently. Is it just me? With all due respect to the owner(s) and moderators, please consider the forest and not just the trees.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mods:fingers on the trigger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Betty
February 17, 2003, 11:35 AM
Vorpal's topic was closed because it was off topic. This is General Gun Discussions. The weather channel, your local news station, or radio is available to help you keep track of weather changes.

We have let some more serious off-topic threads stay open here, like the death of a loved one. That's helping each other through tough emotional times.

We've (the mods/admins/Oleg) discussed the topic of having a forum for off-topic discussions, but the concensus was that we would not have one. There are plenty of other forums to have off topic discussions on what your favorite brands of socks are.

Airwolf
February 17, 2003, 11:40 AM
I hear where you are coming from on this one. I really appreciate the "family" that TFL had and THR has. I too would like to have the opportunity to discuss/share things that fall outside guns and politics.

Yes, the are things in life beyond that! <gasp!> :D

I also can understand that it's easier to keep things properly moded if the subject matter is narrow and clearly defined.

I would welcome a "General Forum", but the call is up to Oleg and the mods.

In the meantime there are other sites that welcome, how should we say, more "spirited, unbound and freeform" discussions. Search around, you'll find it's possible to have 2 (or more) homes on the Net... I do.

Baba Louie
February 17, 2003, 11:43 AM
hansolo,

maybe the thread should have been something like, I'm going shooting today, even tho' its a blizzard outside and I want to know what your range conditions are like with 20" of snow and 20 degree weather outside, and what is the best load for 200 yd 1/2" groups in such conditions... please check in and tell me what RIFLE and HANDGUN you recommend I bring?

Personally, I like the winter weather here in Las Vegas. I went shooting yesterday, brought the 10-22 and the Glock 26.

Shirtsleeve weather.

How is the shooting in a Blizzard? Gotta clean the guns real good after ya get done I bet. It's one form of practice I'm not too familiar with and I guess if I was gonna go shooting in that kind of weather, I'd have to grab one of the Swedish Mausers cause they're probably used to it.

But ROTL is right on ya know. Its about firearms or oughta be.

Adios

Oleg Volk
February 17, 2003, 11:52 AM
To clarify:

A discussion of hand-held radios or cold-wather survival gear could be shiehorned into the mission of THR as it relates to accessories needed for manuever or survival in some circumstances...nothing so pityful as a guy with an AK and eight mags who can't walk another step due to frostbite or has no idea where all his comrades are.

What we want to avoid is topic drift into shoot-em-up video games, favorite beer for after range time, assets of TV personalities and other topics which make navigating the forum for the primary content difficult.

Topics like "family trouble" or "dead relatives" are fine, though you may find that responses to them are more effectively handled by phone, email or PMs. Emotional support is part of the mission.

cordex
February 17, 2003, 11:55 AM
*shameless plug*
Some of you might want to check out http://www.thefiringrange.com wherein there is a "Shooters' Lounge" for discussion of just this kind of thing.

Oleg Volk
February 17, 2003, 12:04 PM
Thanks! I got some questions posted there just now.

Betty
February 17, 2003, 12:09 PM
Baba Louie has the right idea that off-topics can be easily made on topic, as long as you sneaky people don't trip over the line with "Hey! What kind of beer ya'll drink, and just to make this on topic, I'm sitting here with my (x brand) gun!" :scrutiny: :p

Bad weather can be a great topic for firearms related discussion (I like to shoot in different weather conditions to see how I do).

It's important to wear the right clothing for freezing weather and snow - I learned the hard way years ago when not dressed warmly enough while deer hunting. I now have "Raynaud's Phenomenon" and my limbs can get stiff.

Topgun
February 17, 2003, 12:34 PM
Users of the HIGH road drink ..... BEER ????

Unbelievable!

hansolo
February 17, 2003, 12:44 PM
Not to sound like Devil's advocate, but I just sense the attitude of the Mod is "My way or the Highway" and "If ya don't like it here, go away"-- Fine. Not open to constructive criticism. Where's the 1st Amendment?

boing
February 17, 2003, 12:49 PM
More to the point, where's your discussion board, han?

:rolleyes:

cordex
February 17, 2003, 12:52 PM
Not to sound like Devil's advocate, but I just sense the attitude of the Mod is "My way or the Highway" and "If ya don't like it here, go away"
The mods of this forum have set up rules (just as Joe Hart has with The Firing Range). The majority of the members are comfortable with those rules. If not - as you say - there are other places to go. I don't see this as a bad thing.
Fine. Not open to constructive criticism. Where's the 1st Amendment?
1st amendment does not apply. This has been discussed several times.
Oleg Volk & Friends != the Government (the only ones limited by the Constitution).
Just because we have the right to say whatever we want doesn't mean Oleg has to provide us a forum to do so. His house, his rules.

Betty
February 17, 2003, 12:56 PM
--Fine. Not open to constructive criticism. Where's the 1st Amendment?

I don't mean to sound rude or bossy here, so please don't take it that way. The moderators were "hired" to act as moderators to ensure that forum rules are followed, and we'll do it right to the best of our abilities. Plus, each and every forum member read our forum rules before clicking "I accept" to become a member, so they shouldn't be surprised when they find threads locked, edited, or find themselves warned/banned when forum rules are not met. I've seen what happens when forums go unmoderated and run completely amok, so I'm not going to let that happen here.

Because we may not go along with all forum members ideas, it shouldn't be mistaken for "not being open to constructive criticism."

As for the First amendment, please click on "Rules of Conduct" at the top right hand of your screen.

10-Ring
February 17, 2003, 01:00 PM
His ball, his rules is exactly why I belong to more than one forum! Whenever I have a particular question or mood I go there. Lately, tho, I've been spending most of my time here.

cordex
February 17, 2003, 01:17 PM
One more thing:
The rules of this forum are based closely on those of The Firing Line. TFL was still going strong when it closed down after over 4 years. The atmosphere and success of TFL and now THR are due in no small part to the enforcement of these proven regulations by the moderators (some of whom have years of experience, and some of whom are still learning). I've had a time or two myself that I thought a thread should stay open longer than it was allowed, but this place has been as successful as it is for a reason, no? Do you know any other place where 3,700+ people - most of whom are individualists to a greater or lesser extent - from all over the globe can get together to interact politely and intelligently? Don't mess with success and all that.

Coronach
February 17, 2003, 01:25 PM
Not to sound like Devil's advocate, but I just sense the attitude of the Mod is "My way or the Highway" and "If ya don't like it here, go away"-- Fine. Not open to constructive criticism. Where's the 1st Amendment?Well, others have said it already, but the 1st amendment is a non-issue in this. Oleg is not a government entity. THR is not a public venue. This is a private discussion group that is open to public perusal. You may recall words to this effect right before you clicked on the 'I agree' button.

Now, that said, no one is saying that constructive criticism is unwelcome. Quite the opposite, in fact. If you have a thought about how to improve THR I'm certain that everyone wants to hear it. However, you have to realize that this is a discussion that was held weekly on TFL, has been held often on THR, and as such there are probably not many new points to be raised.

Others have presented a few options about other forums. This is not to be construed as a 'my way or the highway' demand. Rather it is done to point out that THR does not generally have off-topic discussions, but these other boards do, and to advise the member that any off-topic queries can be answered there. THR does not make you swear to belong to no other discussion group. ;)

Mike

spacemanspiff
February 17, 2003, 02:16 PM
what the heck? how many threads have been started in the last week discussing offtopic threads and their lockdowns?

geez. this is really getting old.

oleg, we sincerely need to see a new poster from you. we need something to take our minds off other little things. got any old posters we havent seen?

Betty
February 17, 2003, 02:21 PM
spacemanspiff,
Don't you have some big hairy spiders to feed?

:neener:

spacemanspiff
February 17, 2003, 02:28 PM
fed em the other night. some sad news. one of my scorpions, shown in the attached pic standing next to my steyr m40, is sick and very close to dying. i fished her out of the water dish yesterday morning, i think she was trying to drown herself. she has no strength at all and her body has some white residue that wont come off.

post IS gunrelated as it has a pic of one of my guns in it. :neener:

Betty
February 17, 2003, 02:37 PM
I want either one of these next:
WARNING! LARGE HAIRY SPIDER PIC (http://www.bighairyspiders.com/irminia.shtml)

or a terrestrial one of these:
WARNING! ANOTHER LARGE HAIRY SPIDER PIC (http://www.bighairyspiders.com/geniculata.shtml) or AND ANOTHER (http://www.bighairyspiders.com/raul.shtml).

I used empty cardboard ammo boxes to decorate Mannerheim's tank.

I read somewhere that some jewelry store puts tarantulas in their display cases after they close, in an attempt to deter thieves. :scrutiny: :confused:

Oleg Volk
February 17, 2003, 02:45 PM
Spider on a 30-06 box (http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/tn2/spiderfood.jpg) I used empty cardboard ammo boxes to decorate Mannerheim's tank.

Constructive criticisms are welcome. Generally, I get half dozen emails saying that I give folks too much rope and half that saying I don't give enough :eek:

spacemanspiff
February 17, 2003, 02:45 PM
webbing would be pretty difficult to remove from the jewelry, wouldnt it?

i used to put the shell holders from ammo boxes in my tanzanian stoutleg's tank. but the crickets i'd feed it would climb into the holes and the spider couldnt find them to eat.

i hate crickets.

i MIGHT get a black baboon, the pet store just got some in, but they are still young and i'm not comfortable yet raising juvenile spiders. they have a couple of pinktoes, about 4 inch leg spans, maybe i'll get another one of them.

Stetson_CO
February 17, 2003, 02:46 PM
Runt,

It would deter me. I do NOT like spiders, I dont even click the links you put up....no this cannot be 'cured', lots have tried, and there are alot of dead spiders because of it.

c):{

Stetson_CO
February 17, 2003, 02:48 PM
Oleg,

Put up a warning! I almost tossed my laptop across the house!:what:

:banghead:

c):{

Oleg Volk
February 17, 2003, 02:52 PM
Oops, sorry about that. Re-done as a link.:o

spacemanspiff
February 17, 2003, 02:55 PM
hmmm. dont we mock the antis who toss their cookies at the mere sight of a picture of a gun, or in canada where hearing 'gun' makes them piddle themselves?

bogie
February 17, 2003, 02:55 PM
EEEWWW!

Runt, last week when I was down there, and y'all whipped out the arachnid, I shoulda peeled off the t-shirt and shown y'all what one of those critters can do!

Lemme put it this way - My HMO quack lanced the sucker, and then I went and saw Clay every day for a week so that he could squeeze and poke on it (and I owe him a shirt - reminding self - because spider bites can positively projectile-leak gungy stuff when they get squiz), and change the dressings... I suspect that my unavailablity during that period pushed a relationship past its tolerances (since Tammy assumed than any "push back" on my part was pure and total rejection, if I was feeling deathly ill, it must have been because I didn't love her...), etc...

Hey, gimme a homeboy and a lorcin any day... I can deal with that...

(there! back on topic! thppt!)

Lancel
February 17, 2003, 03:18 PM
Not always easy to stay focused on the front sight. The moderators help do that.

I've got enough of irrelevant stuff popping up on my screen. Good to know I can go somewhere, someweb, and find folks helping with the filtering.

Not perfect, occasional hiccups but pretty good for a human endeavor.

Thanks to/for moderators.:)

Betty
February 17, 2003, 03:29 PM
Stetson_CO,

I believe arachnophobia can be cured - people have been cured before - but I don't know what you've been through. Really, you should meet Mannerheim and Heinlein. Mannerheim is very tame and Heinlin, my tarantula, is very shy. He scampers away.

Like an anti afraid of guns, it might take baby steps from looking at pictures to handling an airsoft, to finally going to the range.

I've grown up with spiders and guns in the house, which might explain why I don't have phobias over either.

Sorry bogie!
(BTW, I should've showed you the scars from the cluster of recluse bites I've got on my waist. The little bugger didn't inject alot of venom, but for weeks I felt like I was clobbered repeatedly with a baseball bat.)

bogie
February 17, 2003, 03:39 PM
Oh jeez... I can see this turning into your basic "Hey, that's not a scar! This is a scar!" session like in the first Jaws movie...

When I was in basic, we had a recruit who managed to go to sleep in what was theorized to be a nest of those critters... And got bit several times on the face. Talk about ugly...

JMLV
February 17, 2003, 05:07 PM
Exactly what is "Hair Flicking" nad why is it a bad thing? At least I think its susposed to be a bad thing from what the page had to say. some help here? I've had all sorts of lizards and snakes as pets but never something with more legs than 4. Info please.:confused:

bogie
February 17, 2003, 05:14 PM
Gotta love THR pets - We got ferts, spiders, tonzo dog and cat people...

And skunks!

Airwolf
February 17, 2003, 05:16 PM
Constructive criticisms are welcome. Generally, I get half dozen emails saying that I give folks too much rope and half that saying I don't give enough

Then I'd say you're doing things just about right!

;)

J Miller
February 17, 2003, 05:35 PM
:fire: Courious, severe weather is "off topic" and gets locked down. But posts about big ugly spiders is OK, because the admistraters and mods like spiders. Very interesting.

But not to me!

Betty
February 17, 2003, 06:02 PM
Courious, severe weather is "off topic" and gets locked down. But posts about big ugly spiders is OK, because the admistraters and mods like spiders. Very interesting.

Nice try, but you didn't catch yourself a hypocrite.

The weather is cold here.
How can I bundle up in cold winter months and still be able to draw my handgun quickly and effectively?

Hey! What kinds of pets do people here have?
Does anybody here use an animal for guard duty?
What caliber would be effective for taking down a large dog?

Hey folks! What kind of beer y'all like?
How do you, as a responsible gun owner, handle alcohol? Do you put your guns away when you drink?

Spiders are icky. -or- I have spiders for pets.
Here's a photo of my wolf spider, Mannerheim, perched on a cartridge box.

-or-

Phobias are interesting. Arachnophobics freak out at the very thought of spiders, like hoplophobes freak out over guns (which we as gun owners find perplexing, no?). Phobias are curable - it'll take baby steps to get used to the "phobia" visuals, like photos of spiders of guns. Than being in the room with one. Then handling one.

JMLV,
Some tarantulas flick "urticating hairs" at threats. These hairs are extremely itchy, sticking into the skin and eyes of the predator. A tarantula's defensive system normally escalates like this:

1. retreat
2. flick hairs
3. turn to face predator, rear on it's hind legs, and bare fangs
4. strike

Striking the enemy is normally the weapon of last resort (unless you're the wary owner of a cobalt blue tarantula, which can chase your hand around the cage). What does all this remind me of? The basic defensive system of a CCW permit holder. Retreat. Verbal warnings. When cornered, face the aggression. Strike when there's no other way out. Some predators are frightened away by the tarantula's tactics, and if human predators were as smart, there's be alot less "fangs" bared.

Zander
February 17, 2003, 06:08 PM
Generally, I get half dozen emails saying that I give folks too much rope and half that saying I don't give enough. I'd say that your doing a pretty good job then...LOL!

spacemanspiff
February 17, 2003, 06:15 PM
not all species of tarantulas have the hairs to flick with. out of my seven, only two have ever flicked hairs, the rosehair and the striped knee. they most often scurry away. these hairs are flicked using the back legs rubbed against the abdomen. at least one species though, has these irritating hairs on their front forelegs, called pedipalps (evolutionists say these once were antennae)

but the cobalt blues and the thai black species both are aggressive, even fiddling with the tank lid will get them peeved off and into a striking mood. occasionally just to keep my thai black in good fighting condition, i'll mist him down with some warm water. he goes nuts, striking the ground with his legs and running for cover.

somewhat back onto a gun topic:
note the pic, the scorp is sitting next to a steyr m series. the height of the gun is about five inches. the scorps tail is curled up an inch and half. how'd you like to come across a scorpion that is well over six inches from claws to tail? this particular species isnt very dangerous, has mild venom but more often will pinch whatever is threatening it. the deadly species are usually about one to two inches in length, are light tan-yellowish in color and hail from desert areas.

dav
February 17, 2003, 07:02 PM
You are one of the people whose posts I seek out, I wouldn't want you leaving us just because you are irritated that Oleg and company keep us strictly on topic.

I have to agree I like it that way... but I also belong to
www.familyfriendsfirearms.com (http://www.familyfriendsfirearms.com)
for those times I want firearms tolerant folks to talk to, but don't want to talk about firearms. They are more a social board.

edit: Oops, just went and checked... so do you. :D

Oleg, ROTL and others; you are doing a great job for me. Thanks.

Dav
Kimber Compact

Betty
February 17, 2003, 07:41 PM
dav,
Thanks. I have alot more appreciation for what the moderators do and go through now that I'm one.

hansolo,
You are more than welcome to stay on THR - we're not trying to shoo anybody away. There's off topic threads and topics that can easily be made on topic - I listed a few samples earlier. Heck, I've been guilty of trying to give an on-topic booster to OT threads that were in danger of being closed but had potential.

And I'll close this because the poster's original question has been answered, we've had similar topics recently, and for the thread veer (there's a pets and guns pic thread around here somewhere).

If you enjoyed reading about "Mods:fingers on the trigger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!