Quoting In Posts

PDA

ConserVet
August 1, 2004, 10:44 PM
Okay, I must be the simpleton here, but why can't I quote other posts in my posts and responses? Did I miss that class or what?

If you enjoyed reading about "Quoting In Posts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
August 1, 2004, 11:20 PM
why can't I quote other posts in my posts and responses? ConserVet - you can!!

However, the ''quote button'' resident against an actual post is switched of I think and so - you must quote when you do your reply. It is probably to avoid the quoting of whole posts and so at times .. a huge addition to bandwidth .. makes us more selective I'd say.

Notice when you write into reply window ...... there is a ''quote'' button above on right .... just next to the two red ''x'' tag buttons. Use that.

All you need then do is highlight with mouse cursor (whilst left clicked), the portion of text you wish to quote ... copy that to clipboard .. CTRL+C .... and then, into the mini window the ''quote'' button brings up .. paste that text ... CTRL+V. Once done ..... ''OK'' that mini window and the text with quote tags will go into your message.

If you forgot to grab the text initially, scroll down from your reply window and grab it from there.

Does this help a bit I hope?

ConserVet
August 1, 2004, 11:42 PM
Notice when you write into reply window ...... there is a ''quote'' button above on right .... just next to the two red ''x'' tag buttons. Use that.
You mean like this? Okay, I think I get the hang of it. Although I'm a bit in my cups right now, I'll probably remember the block of instruction. Thanks P95. :cool:

P95Carry
August 2, 2004, 12:12 AM
Looks like you got that just fine!!:) You're welcome.

JohnKSa
August 4, 2004, 12:52 AM
I've noticed that the quote function only works until the first carriage return. It only lets you paste into the little popup quote window until the first return. If you want to put in more, you have to let it do its thing then edit the resulting quote by pasting the rest of your quote into the body of the text.

A rather unpleasant little "feature."

I end up just typing the html quote commands most of the time...

Mal H
August 4, 2004, 12:13 PM
I've noticed that the quote function only works until the first carriage return. It only lets you paste into the little popup quote window until the first return. If you want to put in more, you have to let it do its thing then edit the resulting quote by pasting the rest of your quote into the body of the text.

Well I'll be darned! I never noticed that. Another one of vBulletin's C grade programming. The above quote was supposed to be the entire post.

99% of the time I use the quote tags anyway, so I guess I didn't have much opportunity to notice it.

I just checked and the feechur isn't fixed in vB 3.0.

Treylis
August 6, 2004, 04:44 AM
However, the ''quote button'' resident against an actual post is switched of I think and so - you must quote when you do your reply. It is probably to avoid the quoting of whole posts and so at times .. a huge addition to bandwidth .. makes us more selective I'd say.

I really wish we'd enable it and just yell at the people who quote whole posts, many other forums don't have that problem and I imagine we can train people. ;-)

Treylis
August 6, 2004, 05:11 AM
Well I'll be darned! I never noticed that. Another one of vBulletin's C grade programming. The above quote was supposed to be the entire post.

Actually, what's kind of odd is that I've had that happen sometimes when I'm in Windows, but rather infrequently, and absolutely never when I'm in Linux.

Just more support for my suggestion to allow direct post quoting. ;-P

Mal H
August 6, 2004, 09:42 AM
I really wish we'd enable it and just yell at the people who quote whole posts ...

Won't happen, we don't like to yell that much.

WalkerTexasRanger
August 27, 2004, 09:19 AM
Actually, what's kind of odd is that I've had that happen sometimes when I'm in Windows, but rather infrequently, and absolutely never when I'm in Linux.

Mal H
August 27, 2004, 11:17 AM
WTR - were you going to say something? Are you using Linux?

If you enjoyed reading about "Quoting In Posts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!