Historical references for the NFA?

PDA

Telperion
August 1, 2004, 10:06 PM
Folks, I'm looking for some scholarly references on the 1934 NFA. I'm interested in who participated in drafting it, how they decided on what to tax, the arguments for and against, crime statistics for the taxed items, roll call votes, and so on. Websites are ok, but I'm really looking for books and articles that cover the subject. This is for a freelance research project. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Historical references for the NFA?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RON in PA
August 2, 2004, 03:34 PM
Can't give you any references, but do know that the push came from the conservative end of the spectrum in reaction to the lawlessness of the times and the use of FA arms by some of the notorious gangsters of the time.

Have a vague recollection that the original "Scarface" movie of that era had some editorializing about the need for control of full auto guns.

cropcirclewalker
August 2, 2004, 03:57 PM
I read recently parts of the congressional transcripts of the hearings. President of the NRA was a big advocate.

I doubt if you will find it on the NRA website. Check keepandbeararms.com

I did an archive search on that site using "nfa 34 nra testimony" as search words. Came up with 4 hits. Perhaps duplicate, who knows.

Good luck

edited to add a link to nra's president's entire testimony.

thus........http://keepandbeararms.com/NRA/nfa.asp

There you have it.

edited again because I keep goin goff half cocked. the link above claims to contain;

HEARINGS
BEFORE THE
COMMITTEE ON WAYS AND MEANS
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
SEVENTY-THIRD CONGRESS
SECOND SESSION
on
H.R. 9066

I think it is the transcript of the entire hearings.

Publicola
August 2, 2004, 05:07 PM
This piece by David T Hardy (http://www.guncite.com/journals/hardfopa.html) deals primarily with the Firearms Owners Protection Act, but it does make some mention (especially in the annotations) of the NFA. It's long but might prove useful.

If you enjoyed reading about "Historical references for the NFA?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!