A bare-minimum arsenal - your opinions?

PDA

22luvr
February 17, 2003, 01:18 PM
My son and I have discussed at-length what constitutes a basic home arsenal. Purpose? The possibility of civil unrest, anarchy, breakdown in the vital infrastructure (water, gas, electricity, food, etc) My criteria:
Reliable, accurate, durable, inexpensive to purchase, universally available cheap ammo, and simplicity of battery.

We came up with five categories of firearms for our own bare-bones basic personal arsenal:

RIFLE: My son already owns what I want: an SKS, which I have shot at length and really love. Ammo is plentiful and dirt-cheap. In a pinch, it will do many tasks fairly well.

SHOTGUN: Make mine a Remington or Mossberg 12 ga.

REVOLVER: .357 magnum....versatile, powerful and can shoot both .38 spcl and .357 mag. Ammo is universally inexpensive and available.

AUTOLOADER: A service-grade 9 mm. This is the one that is puzzling both of us. There are so many fine autoloaders out there. I am leaning towards a CZ 75 (I like that Kadet .22 conversion kit!) The 9mm is a stout round and is both universally cheap and plentiful.

back-up/concealment gun: I already have this one....my NAA mini-revolver .22mag

This entire post may be redundant but I am very interested what some of the more experienced shooters would consider for their basic armory. Did we leave something out?

If you enjoyed reading about "A bare-minimum arsenal - your opinions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
February 17, 2003, 01:24 PM
W/O starting any caliber discussions, I've always said that every collection needs at least one 45 acp. That said, as a basic arsenal, what you already have seems to have a representative for each category.
Now for the redundency :D

BerettaNut92
February 17, 2003, 01:30 PM
Rifle: No experience here with SKS's but all things considered, an SKS with scout mounted red dot. No magazines, just piles and piles of strippers of cheap ammo.

Shotgun: Benelli Nova or Remmy 870.

Pistol: Beretta 92F. Inexpensive, easy to find magazines, and I can shoot like a rabid skunk to the wall with one. Carbon fiber stocks a plus.

Knife: I'd say Buck/Strider drop point but I have no experience with them. I'll have to go with my Emerson folder.

Taclight: Sure-Fire 6P. Affordable and holds its own against the best albeit with no whistles and bells.

No revolvers here, can't shoot them to save my life.

You didn't ask, but if cost weren't an option:
AR15 with taclight and red dot.
Benelli M1S90 with taclight.
P7M8 (shoots like a service pistol, tucks away like a concealment pistol, but expensive and heavy).
Emerson folder.
Sure-Fire E2e.

Betty
February 17, 2003, 01:35 PM
22luvr,
I give you three bonus points for not saying "SHTF." :D

For convenience in "having to defend/leave our residence in the remote possibility that the oncoming freaks are going to fight me for a can of SPAM", I'd choose calibers that both Oleg and I share. We could go with .45's or .357's, and 12 gauge shotguns (he'll have to borrow one of mine since he only owns a "wimpy" 20 gauge ;) ), and we'd use our Ar15's.

For collection purposes, I'd like to have one of each. :D I want a good lever action now, and have my heart set on a Winchester 1895 (original finish, please) in .30-06, but I'll have to snap off an arm and a leg for that one.

4v50 Gary
February 17, 2003, 01:48 PM
A good semi-auto carbine. Helps to repel boarders.
A good shotgun. When boarders get too close.
A good pistol. When boarders get up and personal.
A good scoped rifles. To keep them from boarding.

Boy, the things you must do because of bad tenants.;)

BerettaNut92
February 17, 2003, 01:52 PM

Can you do it all with an M4 with 4x ACOG and Masterkey? :D

cslinger
February 17, 2003, 02:22 PM
I am of the belief that all you really "NEED" as in you "NEED" to keep a fire extinguisher, is a good solid multi purpose shotgun or rifle. Just one, with a reasonable amount of ammo, say 250-500 rounds.

The thought being that should unrest happen you will most likely hunker down and never really use the weapon. Even in the event that a mob shows up at your door, if you pop a few rounds into the leading group or even over their heads, chances are they will turn tail and look for easier prey.

If you think you are going to get into a long drawn out firefight then chances are the arsenal won't help as much as more ammo and good cover.

I guess I would have to go with something akin to an SKS for a good all around weapon because it's....
Cheap
Cheap to feed and practice with.
Good round.
Will work for deer and other game if need be.
Has a bayonet that is as much a psychological advantage as a practical one.
Reasonbly quick to reload with practice.
10 rounds should be fine.
You can keep stripper clips loaded forever and have them ready to go in a bandoleer.
You can load single rounds one at a time or drop the mag bottom and throw a few in at a time if need be.
Negligible recoil, easy to teach others to use.
Tough as nails and doesn't need to be babied.
Reasonably accurate out to any range you would need it for. If you are shooting at threats past 200 yards chances are you are just looking for trouble.
If it is one of the Military, Invasion, Red Dawn type things, you are just going to acquire yourself a nice full auto if need be and you'd be stupid not to hunker down and hide if a military unit comes a calling.

Based on that I would go with the SKS or something similar. AK maybe but requires a bit more training and logistics concerns with magazines etc.

Based on WANT. I WANT one of everything as I suspect all of us do. I also suspect we all like to justify our purchases for things like, well I need a shotgun for HD, 9mm for this, .308 for long range etc. when in reality a single SKS would suit just about any NEED we would have.

That being said we will probably all be found dead in front a safe full of weapons because we are trying to decide which one would be perfect for the situation.

I really think there is something to be said for having a rifle with an internal magazine. SKS, Garand, Mauser etc. and so forth. Just makes storing ammo that is ready to go that much easier and is much more comforting to know that if my magazine fed weapons lose or break their magazines.

Just for the record this was purely education and a complete load of bull pucky as I have a safe full of what if guns myself and I NEED every one of them.:D

BerettaNut92
February 17, 2003, 02:43 PM
IMO a rifle, handgun, light and knife should be enough. As many friends as possible with all of the above. Cool heads and medical skills highly desirable. Skunkabilly Tactical is not an equal opportunity employer.

Marko Kloos
February 17, 2003, 03:24 PM
A bare-bones minimum arsenal in my book would be one of each of the following:

.22 handgun or rifle

Cheapest caliber to shoot. Useful for plinking, pest control, small game, and target shooting. You can store and carry huge amounts of .22LR ammo.

Centerfire rifle

This can be a bolt gun or an autoloader, in a good all-around caliber for social work as well as hunting. The .223 Remington is light and easy to shoot and haul around. The .308 and .30-06 are plenty powerful and very versatile. Ideal in-between rounds would be .243, .260, and most anything in the 6-6.5mm range.

Self-defense handgun

To me, the ideal "one handgun" is a .357 with a 4" barrel, since it gives you the most flexibility by virtue of the hundreds of available loads in .38 Special and .357 Magnum. That gun can be used for home defense, CCW, plinking, and hunting. Others may prefer autoloaders as their "one gun". The important part is that it's a flexible caliber and barrel length, so it can perform the widest variety of handgun tasks.

Shotgun

A good 12-gauge is the single most versatile firearm one can own. Use Magnum loads for turkey, regular shot for other birds, slugs for deer, and buckshot for home defense. Pump or autoloader, SxS or single-shot...take your pick.

Onslaught
February 17, 2003, 03:26 PM
There were lots of gunrag articles during the "Y2K" silliness a few years ago...

Every single gun-mag had at least one run-down of "Your Y2K Arsenal Solution"... and they all basically boiled down to:

One Semi Auto rifle of adequate caliber
One pistol you are comfortable with and can reload quickly, of adequate caliber
One Shotgun
One hunting rifle,

and

One .22 rifle for "quietly taking small game" once the food supplies start to run low. :D

Boy, do gun dealers make some $$$ when there's a crisis!

Elmer Snerd
February 17, 2003, 03:47 PM
For convenience in "having to defend/leave our residence in the remote possibility that the oncoming freaks are going to fight me for a can of SPAM"

I would throw them the SPAM. After I pulled the pin on the can, that is. I have some Wal-Mart knockoff pseudo-SPAM if that doesn't do it... :D

After that, I guess it's the Mossy 500. AAHH! Need more guns!

BerettaNut92
February 17, 2003, 03:52 PM
Don't forget the toilet paper! :D

Rovert
February 17, 2003, 04:03 PM
Here's my list, which is very similar in reasoning to those given above:

AR15 (M4gery w/TA31) ( http://www.ar15.com/content/docs/idealRifle/ )
9mm Pistol (P99, 92fs)
CCW: Kahr MK9
This list is given with 'caliber management' in mind. The 9mm round does it for me.

Substitutions:
1911 .45 for 9mm Full Size
SKS/AK for AR... any good battlefield rifle will do, but read the "ideal rifle" article. Granted it's biased, but it makes for a good read, anyway.

BerettaNut92
February 17, 2003, 04:39 PM
TA31 :eek: Didn't s/he say 'inexpensive'? ;)

Dave R
February 17, 2003, 04:41 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, looks like we're getting a lot of agreement with 4v50 Gary's basic list. Like others have said, I would add the following:

- .22 rifle, for game-getting and low-profile shots. (Besides, I think its illegal to have more than 2 guns and not have a .22)

- Back-up pistol/CCW. That way, after they get past your bolt gun and semi-auto carbine and shotgun and service pistol and take you captive, when they're not looking you can pull your BUG and make that secret-agent escape. I nominate the P-32/P-3AT in a Smart Carry/Thunderware as the gun most likely to be overlooked in a casual frisking.:D

JMLV
February 17, 2003, 04:51 PM
The idea of a Rifle , pistol, shotgun seems to be about right. Personally I would have 2 rifles one 22 auto(Ruger 10/22) and a hi-power bolt gun (in my case a Mosin nagant 762x54R model 44 - just in case I need to reach out and touch something) I may somday replace this with a savage 110 on 30/06 but there are a LOT more handguns I want befour I buy another rifle.
handgun(s) can be either a 357 revolver(mine is either a Dan Wesson model 15 with a complete pistol pac of barrels or my custom model 28) or a nine mm auto(either the 639 or the PT99) I have both so no worries mate<G>. The shotgun is of course the simplest choice a pump or auto 12 gage. Preferable with a full length magazine and a 20" barrel.(mossberg 835 ultimag 24" slug barrel - OK OK I know but its what I have right now till I can order a cylinder bore 20" barrel) Again these choices are mine and may not be suitable for others. subsutite as you will for your preferences. :evil:

goon
February 17, 2003, 06:10 PM
If you never take any other advice from this forum, heed this:
Run down to the nearest shop and immediately get a CZ-452 22LR.

Other than that, it is up to you. The only thing I am currently lacking is an AK. I don't really need one, as I feel that a full power scoped bolt action is a better weapon than an AK, at least if you are talking about one of these SHTF fantasies that we all love so much.

RockyNH
February 17, 2003, 06:13 PM
My "Arsenal" really developed from hunting... and with 3 adults in the house it has served well.

Remington Auto 30.06 scoped
Lever 30 30
Ruger 44 mag auto carbine
22 rifle scoped

(2) .357 revolvers (6" & 3 /12")
(2) .40 s&w autoloaders

trapshooter
February 17, 2003, 06:53 PM
I'd consider parts/ammo availability, so:

Rifles -

AR-15 type 223
Rem 700 in 30.06

Then,

an M1
an M1A

Just about any decent .22lr

Shotgun -

Rem 870 or 1100, probably one each.

Revolver -

Smith N, L, or K frame .357 mag.

Semi-auto -

1911 type in .45 ACP

Any decent 9mm

After the above, it's all gravy.

AnklePocket
February 17, 2003, 07:11 PM
Bare Minimum (edited to reflect actual bare minimum):
.357 Mag revolver
small auto
medium auto
mag fed rifle
pump shotgun

Personal Choices:
S&W 686 Plus 4
Kahr PM9
Sig P229 .357 Sig
DSA Carbine
Scattergun Technologies Border Patrol Model

Erik Jensen
February 17, 2003, 07:13 PM
well, there are three guys in my house, and I think we've already got it down. between us, we have: 3 service pistols (H&K USP9, Beretta 92F, and a Colt Combat Commander), about 17 rifles.. heh. realistically, 2 useful ones. (M1 Garand and a scoped rem 700 in 30-06) a pump shotgun (rem 870), and a 10-22. there's more, but if a quick retreat to the upper peninsula is in order, that's what we'll throw in the Caddy. (yes, my '73 Cadillac Hearse is what we'd choose. room for three, plenty of cargo space, and no-one, but no-one would mess with three large men in a Hearse.:neener: ). also, one of the roomates is a doctor... might come in handy. :what:

BerettaNut92
February 17, 2003, 07:16 PM
Minimum? :eek:

.357 Mag revolver
small auto
medium auto
bolt rifle
mag fed rifle
pump shotgun
Minimum Desired - Add:
tiny revolver
snubbie
tiny auto
lever action

AnklePocket
February 17, 2003, 07:18 PM
I've already been accused of being horribly undergunned.

Mr. Hankey
February 17, 2003, 07:48 PM
If I had to choose one from each group, the first 3 out of the safe would be my SAR-1, Mossy 500 and my Glock 17, allowed one more it would probebly be my 10/22,

Kharn
February 17, 2003, 08:17 PM
I believe every American should own an 20" A2 AR15 and either a 1911 or Beretta 92 with a pile of mags and ammo for both pistol and rifle. Sorry Kali residents, you'll have to get an M1A or FAL.

Kharn

Kahr carrier
February 17, 2003, 08:25 PM
Bare Minimum I would have to have a Remington 870, full size 1911 like a Para P14 with high caps,Ak in 7.62-39 ,Sks same caliber, Kimber ultra carry 1 for a hideout and last but not least Naa Guardian for pocket carry.:)

standingbear
February 17, 2003, 08:39 PM
my 45 space is filled quite nicly.mac 10.yeah i know,it aint a colt,kimber or some other expensive gun but it works,cost under 350 new(as of a month ago) and holds 30 rounds of 45 acp.there really arent any minimums.i think of it like a buffet table.just gotta try several till i find what i like,what works for me.you have to do the same,whatever YOU like based on your opinions.:p :D

Drue
February 17, 2003, 08:48 PM
To cover the bases, for either recreational shooting or SHTF you need a rifle, a shotgun, a pistol and a .22. These will cover large(er) game hunting, bird hunting, small game hunting and personal defense. If the No. 1 rifle is a hunter, you may want to add a fighter and viceversa. I would pick a M70 in .30-06 as a primary hunting rifle and a longer range fighter. Then an 870 as a bird hunter and close range fighter. An 1911 or a .357 for a personal defense weapon. IMHO, the 1911 is a better fighter but the .357 is a good fighter and a better field gun than a .45 auto. In the .22 area, there are many fine choices. If you have one, use it. If not the 10/22 is a great rifle and they do give good service. IMHO, this is the bare minimum. If I were to add a gun or two, it would be an AK as a fighter and a hideout pistol like a .38 snub or a Makarov. Your mileage may vary, you may have different needs, but I believe that a .30-06, a 12ga, a .45 and a .22 will cover the bases for most people.

Drue

MessedUpMike
February 17, 2003, 08:53 PM
CAR-15 (carbine). I'd put a muzzle brake on it as it increases my chances of a follow up shot. Yes I know it's louder, but it may scare off the not quite committed yet. Multiple shots also solve the caliber argument. Noise also isn't a consideration as it'll be obvious I'm shooting when bodies start dropping.
A reliable handgun, I personally prefer the CZ-75B as 9mm ammo should be easy to get a hold of in the unlikely event I run out.
A good hunting knife and MULTI-PLIER, Leatherman, Gerber, SOG, whatever. 12 years on have proven them to be on of my most indespensible tools. And most often damaged/destoryed.

Not Big on shotguns. In the event you have to hoof it, it's to dang much extra to drag around. Between the rifle and the pistol I figure I've got all of my ranges already covered. If shotguns where that nessecarry then infantry would have carried them for years.

JeepDriver
February 17, 2003, 09:04 PM
I have achieved my bare minium list:

1. Scoped 30-06 (Savage 110)
2. SAR-1
3. 686 w/ 4" barrel
4. 10/22's
5. 9mm semi auto (BHP, P95 or P239)
6. Mossy 500 w 7round mag tude, 20" barrel, pistol grip stock, & side saddel.

Things I still really want:

1. M4 style Bushmaster
2. DSA built FAL carbine
3. Kimber Eclipse
4. G17
5. Sig 229 or 226 in 9mm
6. Savage Heavy barrel 308 (replacement for 30-06)
7. Beretta 92 Elite

In two years I hope to be done my list. As long as nothing else catches my eye!

BerettaNut92
February 17, 2003, 09:40 PM
This is BARE MINIMUM for you guys??

amprecon
February 17, 2003, 10:03 PM
I own an 870, a 700 in .30-06 a couple of .22lr rifles a SLR-95 and a Glock 21. If I had time I'd pack all of them. If it was a shoot and scoot I'd grab the SLR-95 with all eight 30rd mags and all the ammo (1,000 rds) and the Glock.

GoldenLoki
February 17, 2003, 10:20 PM
I guess my "minimum" is less than most. I'd want two guns, one hand, one long gun, proven reliable, with ease of use and maintenance. I'd like to have a .22, a BUG, and a shotgun, but they are more than I could carry and I feel I could make due without them.

4" S&W 66 and a lever action in .357mag

or

1911 and an AR15

I like the shared ammo of the first combo, but I also like the added firepower of the second combo.

Open sights on all.

I'd prefer to hunker down at home, lots of supplies, lots of good neighbors, and lots of firepower.

GL

GL

mikearion
February 17, 2003, 10:29 PM
End of the world civil melt-down senerio?

If I could pick only one gun I would want, beleive it or not, a good .22LR semi-auto and a few thousand rounds of ammo. It's perfectly 100% deadly, the ammo is light and abundant and great for hunting small game.

If I could keep a second arm it would be an all weather Ruger Mini-14 and third somthing in a scoped .308, 30-06 or similar power.

TheLastBoyScout
February 17, 2003, 10:37 PM
I'm not trying to piss anyone off, but I think for the cost of the items in the first post, I'd rather have a USGI rig. A beretta 92 (or 1911) and an AR. I think shotties are seriously over-rated as far as the point and shoot 'little aiming required' arguement goes, and besides I have trouble with the recoil from 12 guage hi-brass loads. To top it off, some load carrying gear and a load of preban 30 rounders (for the AR) and 15 s (for the beretta)
So instead of six, I think I could get it down to 2, and 2 that have been proven reliable in harsher conditions than I could ever be expected to subject them to.
P.S. If you needed to cut the cost some more, you could go with an AK clone instead of an AR. My local region really wouldn't present me with an opprotunity for shots outside of 200 yds, which is within effective range for an AK and SKS, but the AK gives you cheap durable 30 round detachable mags for about 100 dollars more than the SKS (which would be a real step up in firepower). For the pistol, I've seen Rock Island 1911s in SGN for like 350.

PPS: Since many people have turned this into a wishlist, here's mine.
Have:
Nothing, but will be picking up a 20'' bushmaster in the next month (I've been putting more rounds through my dad's than he has for the past 6 months)
After that (sometime a few years off):
Beretta92 or Colt45
M1 Garand
something in 7.62 NATO

Logistar
February 17, 2003, 10:38 PM
SO what about a 9mm Carbine and a 9mm semi-auto? (I hate trying to keep up with different ammo!)

Would a good 9mm Carbine be good enough in this situation for your long gun????

Logistar

GD
February 17, 2003, 10:41 PM
SKS is great for short distance action.
Remington 870 for same and hunting.
Bow for when you need a quiet weapon.
9mm or larger handgun when you need something quick.
.308, 7.52x54, or 30-06 for those long range shots.
A .22 for small varmits.

The above is what I would make sure I had on hand. In troubling times, I would make sure I had one of the above in my possession at all times.

goon
February 17, 2003, 10:52 PM
What limitations are you placing on the size?
I was thinking about three. If you want to be totally simple, you could go with a small handgun in what ever caliber you want. I would go 9mm, since it will put a hurtin' on someone and ammo is cheap and available everywhere. A Makarov might be a good shoice as well. They are cheap, but known to be very reliable. Ammo is also cheap, but not as available as the 9mmx19. But that just means that you have to order 1000 rounds from somewhere and you would be set for quite some time.
Then, you need a 22LR of some sort for feeding yourself. I have already suggested the CZ 452, but that one is also your choice.
Third is a rifle. The particulars depend on your abilities, tastes, and your surroundings. For my uses, I would take a scoped 308. Good ammo is abundant and cheap (Port surplus). I live in a rural area where the ablility to really wing one out there could be useful. And I also would prefer to stay out or range of anyone who is shooting at me if I can. And, you can't waste ammo as easy with a bolt action. If you live in a built up area, then a semi-auto firing one of the intermediate rounds may be better. Or maybe a lever action 30-30. Given the money and space, I would prefer to have one long range rifle, and one with better firepower in case you need it.
I personally could go without a shot gun. They are loud, their range is limited, and the ammo is expensive compared to a 22LR and takes up alot of space. You get about 50 rounds of 12GA for $9. For the same amount, you get 500 rds of .22. Do the math: 500 squirrels, rabbits, etc. vs. 50. I would rather go with economy.
If I didn't have alot of money to spend, I would consider older military rifles like the Mosin-Nagant. Ammo is about $100 for 500 rounds of noncorrosive Wolf, and the rifles are cheap and tough.

MCNETT
February 17, 2003, 11:13 PM
For me using what I already own:
HK91 (.308) - I have 30 20rd mags
Mossberg Maverick- with 000Buck
G20- with 4 hicaps filled with 180XTP @ 1350fps
Ruger 10/22 with 10 25rd mags loaded with Stingers
Though I have more to add, these are what I practice with the most and could wreak the most havoc! :D
-Mike

Bob Locke
February 17, 2003, 11:15 PM
I plan to have:

.22 LR (revolver, semi-auto pistol and rifle, bolt action rifle)
9mm semi-auto
.45 ACP semi-auto
.223 semi-auto
.308 semi-auto and bolt action
7.62x39mm semi-auto
12-ga. pump and semi-auto
.357 mag and/or .44 mag revolver (will get the .357 first though)

That's more than what I'd consider "bare minimum" though. For that I want a .308 semi-auto (preferably with a scope), a 12-ga. pump, a .22 LR rifle (don't care if it's bolt or semi), and either a 9mm or .45 ACP pistol.

But I've got most of my planned list accumulated already. :D

Marshall
February 17, 2003, 11:40 PM
In this senario, to bottom line it, I'll use everything at my disposal! ;)

sonoranjack
February 18, 2003, 12:49 AM
My goal. Is to have 2 pistols exactly the same. Then a rifle/shotgun. So 2 Glock 17s & a AR15. All I need to do is get a second G17 & an AR15.

Trebor
February 18, 2003, 06:31 AM
I'll keep my list within the catagories the original poster established.

Rifle: M-1 Garand from the CMP. If you can't do it with 8 rounds of .30-'06, it probably can't be done.

Shotgun: ?? Don't have enough experience to make a solid reccomendation. I like the Win Super X2, but I need to try more shotguns.

Pistol: CZ-75 This will do anything you want a full-size service pistol to do. Pick up the Kadet .22 kit and you have two guns in one. If you want a smaller CCW gun, I'd go with the Makarov.

Revolver: S&W M28 Highway Patrolman in .357.

You know, if I just didn't like having multiple guns so much, I could pare my collection down to these four (five with the Mak) to do everything I need a gun to do. I'd miss my other guns, but I wouldn't feel that any of them would perform better than these.

MrKandiyohi
February 18, 2003, 10:54 AM
Some of you guys have a well clothed 'bare' minimum.

The bare minimum is a scoped .22lr rifle(bolt/pump) and a pump 12 ga. shotgun.

You shouldn't be trying to take out a squad of blue helmets. You want to handle basic home defense and food gathering.

The rifle can reach out to 200 yards. Yes, it won't blow a guy off of his feet, but no one wants to get hit, no matter how small the hole. If you need to singlehandedly take care of 10 two-legged BGs, your problem isn't the caliber of your weapon.

The 12 ga. with slugs can handle up to 50 or 100 yards and can also handle the home defense.

After you have your bare minimum, then you can throw in the pistols, sem-auto ARs or AKs, and even an full-auto.

22luvr
February 18, 2003, 11:25 AM
Yikes! Fascinating spread of info here. Some of your "bare minimum" choices are my "totally unaffordables"

Okay, now, LET'S PUT EVERYOE ON A BUDGET. If you had to buy:
1 centerfire rifle
1 shotgun
1 revolver
1 autoloader
1 pocket pistol
Ammo for all the above...............

What would you buy if you only had $1,000-1500 in funds??

I can get an SKS for about $100-130; Mossberg sells pump 12GA's for less than $200, I can get a used revolver for about $150, a new CZ 75 for about $350, and a used NAA mini-revolver for about $100. Ammo for all the above can be bought in bulk for a song. I've made a career out of being cheap and think I could buy all the above for less than $1,000 with change coming back.

Thanks for all your input; had no idea my thread-starter would take off like this!

TheLastBoyScout
February 18, 2003, 12:16 PM
I honestly don't see much of a need for a HD shotgun if you have a semiauto centerfire carbine. I also don't see a need for a revolver if you've got a decent autoloader (or vice versa) so if I had 1000 dollars to get the 3 guns I've narrowed that list down to I'd pick up-
Large Semiauto (I'm not a revolver guy)- Rock Island 1911 (350 from SGN))
Small Semi (CCW, I assume you meant a small pistol as opposed to a derringer when you said pocket pistol)- Rock Island shorty 1911 (commonality in mags, manual of arms, maintenance, ammo etc.)
Carbine- SAR1 (290 in SGN) AK clone, so reliability is ungodly, ammo is among the cheapest available, and 30-round mags are like $8

anchored
February 18, 2003, 01:10 PM
My list would be:
Marlin 336 in .30-30
Ruger 10/22
M1911
Remington 870
Opt: Something in .30-06.

Or, I might exchange the .30-30 and the 1911 for one of those rifle/pistol combos that use the same ammo.

Andrew Wyatt
February 18, 2003, 01:15 PM
m-1a

mossberg (or my 20 inch barrelled topper in 20 gauge, seeing as i can clear a house with the m-1a)

all you really need are three.

hso
February 18, 2003, 02:08 PM
12 guage shotgun with various loads for various purposes. Be sure to include rifled discarding sabot slugs for longer shots at heavier targets. Include a good 1-3X red dot type scope. Add a combat light, if it makes you feel better.

Additonal weapons (and their ammunition) are additional 12 guage ammunition you can't carry so limit those to a single reliable handgun.

JMLV
February 18, 2003, 02:15 PM
but i can lay out a inventory on the cheap:

Shotgun: maverick pump 12 gage - wal-mart $159

Handgun - Revolver: used model 10 police trade in $159

Handgun - auto: New Tokarov 9mm
$150

Centerfire Rifle:
SKS (aprox $150) or a Enfield 303 - $75

Pocker pistol: NAA Mini revolver used - $100.

Total = $718 (w/SKS) or $638 (w/Enfield)

Mastrogiacomo
February 18, 2003, 02:50 PM
I'd say any guns you could get your hands on by Beretta and H&K. :D

T.Stahl
February 18, 2003, 03:09 PM
I have just established my basic "arsenal".
- a full-size 9mm with shoulder-stock and large mags for HD.
- a semi-auto .223 for, uuh, multiple soft targets.
- a bolt action in .303 as a battle rifle.

For the next few years that'll have to do as there are more important things to spend my money on. Next on my list are a scoped bolt action for longer ranges and a .22lr handgun for plinking, but as my brother wants to cover these bases, there's actually no need for me to do it, too.

CZ-75
February 18, 2003, 03:14 PM
For my part:

A .22 firearm, probably a rifle.

Cheap and plentiful ammo. Not very noisy to attract unwanted attention. Hunt small game with it.

A 9mm autoloader.

Generally easy to use. Cheap and plentiful ammo. Good firepower in non-neutered specimens.

A .357 mag revolver.

Powerful and reliable. Ammo is common, and cheap, in the case of .38spl. Flexible, since you get two calibers for the price of one. Even possible to hunt with it.

A centerfire rifle.

Hunting and long distance defense. Probably best in .30-06 or .308, since both calibers are effective and common.

12 ga. pump shotgun.

Versatile and powerful. You can defend or hunt with it. Ammo is cheap and plentiful. Reliable, if you own an 870 at least.

Semi-auto carbine/rifle?

I don't own one. At least not one that isn't C&R and in 6.5x55.

I'd say that .223 would be a good choice, though. This would round out your arsenal and give you access to a firearm in every major caliber out there, save .45ACP.

cratz2
February 18, 2003, 06:24 PM
Sounds about right... I'd pick something like the following:

Para military selection:
Shotgun: Mossberg M590A1
Rimfire: 10/22
Semi Auto: AK Variant, probably SAR1 right now
Bolt gun: Rem 700LTR in 308 w/10x scope
Pistol: 9mm Beretta or Taurus derivative

My personal choices:
Shotgun: 870 smoothbore with rifle sights
Rimfire: 10/22 w/Burris Compact 3-9x
Faster rifle: Marlin 44 Mag w/Williams Sight
Tactical bolt gun: Winchester Coyote in 243 w/ Zeiss 2.2-10x
Pistol: Springfield Stainless Target Loaded
Pistol: Taurus PT99AF in case I run out of 45ACP

I'm not a big fan of semi autos but would take an FAL if pressed.

gk1
February 19, 2003, 01:47 PM
Minimum? OK:

a firearm that I can hit with, and ammo for it
a knife
a bat, or an improvised club.

That said, what fun is "minimum" anything?:D

George

axeman_g
February 19, 2003, 02:46 PM
After reading this thread I realize I may be a worry wart. But the whole Boy Scout thing took hold at age 12 ... "always be prepared"

My closet holds ...

Century L1A1 7.62x51 Carbine (.308 make big holes close and far)
Steyr M9 (9mm cheap, shootable, scroungable, defensive)
Ruger GP 100 .357 4" (nothing says stay away like a .357 muzzle)
Ithaca 37 12 qauge (extended mag)

I do need a .22. I was thinking Marlin 60 with low profile scope.

Anyway I was also looking at trading Ruger for a .45. But I most likely wont.

Ian
February 19, 2003, 03:23 PM
The most practical "limited arsenal" scenario I can think of would be if I decided to live out of a pickup or RV for an extended period of time. That would create serious weight and bulk limitations, without requiring aliens, zombies, or TEOTWAWKI. If I chose to pursue that lifestyle, my ideal set of guns would be:

2 identical 1911s. One for general use/carry and one for backup. Plus 10 or 15 high quality 8-round mags.

A 20" preban AR. As much as I adore my Daewoo, I can't get parts for it, whereas AR parts are widely available. With about 25 30-round quality mags and a Beta-C mag.

A very accurate .308 scout rifle.

Ammo supplies would consist of 100 rounds of .45 FMJ, 150 rounds of .45 JHPs, 1000 rounds of 62gr Swiss .223 FMJ, 500 rounds of SS109 .223, 250 rounds of .308 match-quality soft-points, and 200 rounds or match-quality .308 AP (hand-loads).

Ed Brunner
February 19, 2003, 03:46 PM
"Bare minimum" would be a good pump shotgun.
Minimun for all situations you might encounter would be more.

sixgun_symphony
February 19, 2003, 04:29 PM
Why not go to the DCM for cheap M1 Garands and cases of .30 caliber ammo on the en bloc clips?

Ithaca M37 Shotguns in 12ga or 20ga

Used S&W M10 revolvers chambered in .38 Special are inexpensive and will do anything a handgun needs to do. Easy to carry with standard four inch tapered barrel.

Dorrin79
February 19, 2003, 04:33 PM
I'll take a shot at this -

I'd say you need

1) "battle" rifle - AK, AR, FAL, whatever. Basically an autoloading rifle in a military caliber (I have a Yugo SKS that fillls this role nicely)

2) .22 Plinker - a .22 rifle for target practice, small game hunting, etc. Ammo is cheap and doesn't take up much space. I have a Ruger 10/22 for this purpose.

3) Shotgun - some sort of shotgun. 20Ga minimum, 12Ga if you can handle it. A couple of different choke tubes for use in different roles. I prefer pump-actions, and have a Mossberg 500A 12Ga for this.

4) "Service" pistol - a full size pistol for practice, self-defense, etc. Autoloader/revolver isn't really an issue - just make sure it's of the largest caliber you can comfortably fire. I have a ruger p89 for this, although I am in the market for a 1911.

5) "Backup" pistol - small, easily concealable pistol. I have a Kel-Tec P11 for this (bonus - uses same ammo as my "service" pistol) but there are many weapons that could be used for this role.

6) Hunting rifle - this is the one I don't own yet. Basically a very accurate scoped rifle in a caliber suitable for medium-sized game. Could substitute for #1 or vice versa. I'm looking to get either a .30-30 lever rifle or a bolt-action in .270 to fill this role.

Everything after that is just gravy. Fun, fiery gravy, though...

Ah, I noticed the pricing---

Yugo SKS + 1000 rds 7.62x39 = $250
Ruger 10/22 + 1000 rds .22 = $175
Mossberg 500A + 100 rds assorted 12GA = $220
Ruger P89 + 300 rds 9x19 = $400
KelTec P11 = $300 (although I got mine for $200)

Total = $1,345

mack
February 19, 2003, 05:43 PM
Bare minimum though you really should have two of each of the following with two complete replacement parts sets.

Handguns

Colt Peacemaker - 45 long colt

1911 - 45 ACP

Browning HiPower - 9mm

Ruger or similar .22 semiauto

That is all you need as far as handguns

Long Guns

Kentucky Long Rifle or Brown Bess

Winchester 1886 in 45-70

Benelli semiauto shotgun 12 guage

M16 -full auto or burst .223

AK47 full auto

M1 Garand 30-06

M14 - .308

SAW - .223

Browning .30 cal. belt fed

Ma Duece - need one say more

Barrett 82A1 - see above for ammo

BAR - 30-06

The above is of course a bare bones minimum and one should really have at least two of each type, though three or four would be necessary to make one really comfortable with such a cut down list of weapons.

Each individual weapon should have at least 100,000 rounds and the belt fed probably 10 times that number.

Of course the conveinence of such a bare bones inventory is that you can pack it up in a jiffy and take it with you if you need to. Also in a pinch you could carry half of it concealed.

This doesn't touch on artillery, mines, RPGs, gernades, ect.....fortunately there is an even simpler shortcut when trying to establish a bare bones inventory of area weapons - you can easily get by without most of the above by merely substituting 4 to 5 hundred claymores and just 4 or 5 one megaton yield nukes.

The firearms you can pickup just about anywhere with a few simple forms and a little cash - check the couch cushions. The nukes are either a do it yourself project - did you take high school physics? Or I have heard recently that there are people just dying to import a few nukes into this country.

Glad I could help. ;)

goon
February 19, 2003, 06:06 PM
Never ask this man to help you make out your grocery list.:D

Seriously, I do like his list. Especially Ma Deuce.:D

Hardtarget
February 19, 2003, 11:52 PM
Any list I've seen here would do for me. I'd need an F-350 and a good trailer to haul all of it...but if we're talking survival that might also carry with it a need for stealth. Even a .22 makes enough noise to attract attention, so I would like to add a good air rifle for small game. Very quiet, lots of shots per pound, and there are more small critters to eat and you eat what you bring in...no need for storage.( for sure,I still like all the REAL guns).
Mark

JMLV
February 20, 2003, 05:07 AM
on a colt saa is beyond me:banghead:
When you can get a 45 long colt blackhawk convertably (extra cylinder in 45 acp) for 1/3 to 1/4 the price! and its a much stronger gun as well as being of improved design (coil springs vs flat etc).
also the loads you can use in the ruger will send the colt to handgun heaven while leaving the ruger unscaved!
If I really wanted to spend that much on a handgun it would be one worthy of the expence(and the colt is NOT) Probably a Freedom Arms with adj sights and 3 cylinders(45 acp,45 LC & 454 casull) This sixgun is well worth its asking price.
If you feel a colt saa is a must have fine but its definately NOT part of a bare bones battery. Its the icing on the cake for after you have all the other stuff you need and just want to buy a gun well "Just becouse" (this is why I bought my Luger not practical but a lot of fun to play with and shoot). JMHO

22luvr
February 20, 2003, 08:58 AM
Dorrin: You get an "A" for your list and an "attaboy." I like it.

Mack: With your minimum list I could go forth and fight the North Korean army single-handedly. Awesome.

spankaveli
February 21, 2003, 06:45 PM
personally, my two do me fine. well, for now. i feel the jennings is a pos but my next 2 guns will be Walther P99 and a 9x18 Makarov, so I should be good.

Oh, a scope and bipod would be nice additions to the SKS. :D

http://images.spankaveli.com/guns.jpg

spankaveli
February 21, 2003, 06:49 PM
oh, and maybe a beretta 92fs plus a 22lr conversion for small game :p

Poohgyrr
February 21, 2003, 08:28 PM
After reading that I dunno !!!!!!

LOL, and I would've been happy with a good scoped .308, either a tanker Garand in .308 or a good M4, a S&W 640 or a 3" K frame, and either a Hi power or a G17. 1000 rounds per gun. With lots of mags/speedloaders & some speedstrips too.
As much as I like shotguns, I'd rather have the Garand or M4. This is for each person too.

Then there are places where the people are happy to have just one of the above, with some ammo.

denfoote
February 21, 2003, 09:46 PM
All I need to get is a scattergun!!

My bear minumum:

Walther P99

SKS

Ruger 22/45

Marlin mod 60

I'm thinking about a Mossberg defender!! :D

12.7x99mm
February 22, 2003, 01:37 AM
357 revolver
45 semi
10/22
mossberg 500
m4
rem700p
two cheap sks's for backup or for friends and for trading

biere
February 22, 2003, 01:41 AM
When I lived in the burbs my first buys were a mag fed semi-auto 9mm handgun, with 15 round mags. And a shotgun. I had slugs for the non-rifled barrel and lots of different shot shells for the shotgun as well. I figured in the burbs my shots would be short range since I never had a shot over 100 yards unless it was down the middle of a 2 lane road, and I did not plan on sending stuff down the road due to the bullet stop if I missed my targets.

Next came a bit more range, toss in a sar 1 or a wasr 1, I was happy with both and have both.

Learned some more and wanted more range, I played in 308 mag fed rifles. Fal, m1a, and others do well. I like military designs. I also moved to the country.

If playing with revolvers for back up, buy either a 6 shot colt detective special in 38 special or a ruger sp101 in 357 magnum with 5 shots. I have a mind that hates small back ups. Not a professional opinion, I am a total recliner quarter back in this area. I have bigger revolvers and like them fine. But I agree with a few folks who feel defensive firearms are revolvers, offensive should be semi-auto.

If I get first shot, a bolt action and a scope work well, if not a mag fed is nice. If in close, we get into a revolver for defense or a high capacity for offense. But I would call the offense a lack of planning on my part.

AV1611
February 22, 2003, 07:53 AM
I think some of you guys are mistaking "bare minimum" for your "lust list". M1A's, DSA FAL's, and Bushmasters are really nice, but are just too expensive for a man with a NEEDS list and limited $$$.

1. Quality .22lr rifle or pistol
2. Quality full-sized 9mm semi-auto or 357 Mag revolver
3. AK variant or SKS
4. 12/20 ga.
5. bolt action in .308/30-06/.243/7.62x54r/8MM/.303 etc.

Derek Zeanah
February 22, 2003, 08:01 AM
Bare minimum?

A rifle you shoot well, and a pistol/revolver you're comfortable with. Doesn't matter what you use -- I've got a Turk Mauser modified as a .308 Scout, but a 30-30 would be fine, as would a Remington 700 with a low-power scope.

Just be able to hit with it.

Pistol should be something you're comfortable wearing, with at least enough punch as a .38 Special or 9mm.

That'll do all you need.

[edit: damn, but I need to learn how to type!]

RikWriter
February 22, 2003, 08:04 AM
Long range rifle, semi or bolt, in 308 or better
Short range semiauto defensive rifle in 5.56x45, 5.45x39 or 7.62x39.
22LR rifle.
12 gauge defensive/hunting shotgun
Large caliber defensive handgun (45ACP, 44 Special, 45 Colt, 357 Mag or 10mm) semi or revolver.
Concealment handgun in at least 9mm or 38 Special.
22LR revolver.

Tamara
February 22, 2003, 08:21 AM
Lemme grab the HK91, the 870, and stuff a couple of 1911s in my belt and I'll be right with you.

Chris Rhines
February 22, 2003, 11:40 AM
Absolute bare minimum? A concealable pistol.

A reasonable minimum for an average family concerned with personal self-defense and the possibility of small-scale civil unrest (as opposed to commie hordes...) - Two identical pistols, one self-loading battle rifle, one shotgun, and a .22 rifle to play with. Beyond that, more guns become less important than more training, more spare parts, and more non-gun supplies.

The exact guns would be determined by available budget and personal preference.

- Chris

NotQuiteSane
February 22, 2003, 12:59 PM
RIFLE: My son already owns what I want: an SKS, which I have shot at length and really love. Ammo is plentiful and dirt-cheap. In a pinch, it will do many tasks fairly well.

1st choice: Battle rifle (m1a, FAL, HGK, etc) in .308 Ammo is everywhere

2nd choice: Garand.

3rd choice: WWI or II bolt action rifle.

ANy choice should be equipped with a removeable scope, and you should be able to shoot with iron sights as well (performance) as with scope.

all 3 groups can be effective at 8-1000 meters, if you do your part, can all double as hunting weapon

SHOTGUN: Make mine a Remington or Mossberg 12 ga.

Assuming for self defense only, a Mossy pump in 12 ga. I'd seriously consider trying to find one w/ folding stock, not for "cool" (yeah, right) factor, but to create smaller sized weapon for storing (i.e. if you want to mount it to a backpack...)

REVOLVER: .357 magnum....versatile, powerful and can shoot both .38 spcl and .357 mag. Ammo is universally inexpensive and available.

I don't care for revolvers (personal prefrence), but I'll agree with your choice.

AUTOLOADER: A service-grade 9 mm. This is the one that is puzzling both of us. There are so many fine autoloaders out there. I am leaning towards a CZ 75 (I like that Kadet .22 conversion kit!) The 9mm is a stout round and is both universally cheap and plentiful.

what ever brand you like in 10mm -p-, or larger caliber (I'd reccomend to 10mm or .45) I too favor CZ's (actually Witnesses)

the 9mm may be "everywhere", and it may even work "most of the time", but the thing that bothers me is it may even work "most of the time" Due to avadibility, I'd have to say .45acp.

back-up/concealment gun: I already have this one....my NAA mini-revolver .22mag

If you yse a revolver for primary pistol: any easily concealed weapon that can yuse the same ammo & speedloaders of the "big" gun

Auto: mini/mico version of full size (i.e 1911/mico 1911, glunk/mini glunk...) Should be able to share magazines. IMO, it's better to have 2-6 spare mags (if I know I'll need them, I'll carry as much ammo as possible) that'll work in both pistols vs 1-2 that will only work in one gun. If you need to do a reload, you don't want to grab the wrong magazine. In a combat situation, you can only be stupid once

NQS

Cosmoline
February 22, 2003, 01:07 PM
The only thing lacking is scoped, long-range stopping power. Of course, that's a tad more expensive than your average SKS. It's something to consider, though. Ruger Model 77's are pretty inexpensive and you could get one in .308 that would be sufficient.

NotQuiteSane
February 22, 2003, 01:39 PM
Forgot a few things:

primary reloading setup: Your choice of a reliable brand.

SHTF setup: 2-3 lee loaders, depending if you want to reload for shotgun (the kind that use the mallet, slow, but compact), a well packed beam scale, with homemade dippers for backup, at least 1lb powder for each caliber. 1-5 lbs bullets per caliber, with both light and heavy selections, 100-1000 very well paced primers per caliber

SHTF casting setup:

2+ lee (for price/avadibility) molds per caliber. how many will be a personal choice on what you want to load

dipper and small pot (use over fire)

somethign to dump the hot castings into (pop bottle/milk just w/ top cut off and filled with water works good) Remember you can't use this for food, and space may be at a premium. if no other choice, dig a hole in the ground, line w/ tinfoil, and fill with water

NQS's how to size cast bullets w/o a bench:

2x6x.250 flat steel
lee sizing die (1 per caliber)
1 extra lock ring
~6" steel rod
~10" coathanger sectioun/welding rod/similar

drill & tapp block to accept die. assemble, and place storage/bullet cather condainter on top

weld 6" rod to the doohookey that pushes the bullets through

dig ~6" hole, turn sizin asembly upside down, and fill in. the plate shout be at least 1" underground, but the die opening should be 1/2 or more inches above ground, to keep dirt out (you can allo counter sink the dirt around it, to allow deeper burial for more holding power. don't just toss dirt in, pack it into the hole)

using mallet & doohookey, drive bullets through die into recptical. use thin rod to shift pile as needed.

When full dig up (if several sessions of sizing will be required, only dig enough to seperate halfs of plastic case) and empty.

don't forget to lube

I reccomend at least 1 lb per caliber of lead based alloy. what gun you have will determine if you want a "hard" or "soft" alloy

Also:

Spare parts kits for weapons

AND...

(Really :fire: at myself for forgetting this):

Cleaning supplies. a dirty gun is little better than a paperweigh/club. If you want it to go "bang" every time you pull the trigger, then you must do your part

NQS

s&w 24
February 22, 2003, 02:14 PM
right now I have :

98 Mauser in 8mm sporter
enfield #7(?) 22 lr trainer
S&W 28 4"
S&W 27 6.5"

I plan to add :

IZH Double 12 ga with exposed hammers
S&W 60 3"
and I'm tring to tell myself I don't need anything else!:rolleyes:

Jedi_7.62
February 22, 2003, 04:22 PM
Bare minnimum and If I had to travel light ....

Rifle.....AK 7.62x39..Have a scope for my SAR 1 so it could serve many purposes.
Handgun.....357 revolver probably S&W 6 inch bbl.

If not traveling light I'd include a good 12 gauge pump
and a good scoped rifle like an M1 or remington 700 maybe a Mosin Nagant.

In this environment CCW would be irrelevant. My AK would be permanantly attached to me.

Alternate handguns 9mm or Glock 40
Lots of ammo and parts for these guns

But really If I had to pick a single gun it would be my AK.
If I had nothing else I could be comfortable with just it.

CTgunteacher
February 23, 2003, 10:36 AM
I lived with a pretty bare-bones battery for several years, when I was a bit younger. It consisted of:

Marlin 60 .22
Mossberg 12 ga.
Remington 788 .308
Ruger Mini-14 .223
Colt Combat Commander .45
S&W 042 .38

These guns took care of all my needs, from hunting through defense through the competitions in which I participated at the time.

If I were purely concerned about civil unrest/anarcy/social breakdown, that battery would stand me in good stead. Cost is more than 22luvr mentioned, though. If starting over, I think I'd do it this way:

.22 rifle
I like Marlin 60 better than the ubiquitous 10/22, but either is perfectly acceptable. Useful for taking small game. Ammo is very cheap and you can lay in a supply of thousands of rounds for very little money. I choose a semiauto .22 because it is more useful for defense in a pinch than a bolt or single-shot rifle. Add a low-powered scope. $150.

12 or 20 gauge repeating shotgun
Useful for taking small/feathered game and house defense. Remington, Mossberg, Winchester, whatever, so long as it works with light, field, anti-personnel and magnum loads. $250.

Repeating rifle
Mini-14, SKS, M1 Garand, even Winchester or Marlin lever guns. AR15s sure are nice, but they are pricey, and we shouldn't labor under the delusion we'll be taking on infantry squads (at least not with a prayer of winning). I'd prefer a gun firing milsurp ammo just for cost reasons, but .30-30 is also plentiful and relatively inexpensive. This is the "go-to" gun for any outdoor fighting that might crop up. $350.

Bolt rifle
Any powerful caliber is acceptable (.30-06, .270, 7mm, etc.), but I'd choose a .308 to take advantage of milsurp ammo. This is your rifle for taking larger game, if available (probably a big "if"), and for keeping the rioting sheeple and Mongol hordes at a distance. The Savage rifles are probably the "best buy" in this category. Add a decent scope or buy a Wal-Mart special. $400.

Handgun
While I like .45 autos for general shooting, I doubt there will be many opportunities for recreational shooting in a situation of civil unrest. I'd just get a 4" .357 revolver, and consider it a distant second to a long gun for any kind of fighting. But it'll be on your hip all the time, like when you're cutting wood, butchering game, gardening, etc. It'll accept a pretty wide variety of ammo, and .38/.357 is easily and inexpensively available. $250.

All these guns are useful as shooters and/or hunters if the civil breakdown never occurs. The bolt rifle might be a bit redundant if the repeating rifle is precise and powerful (read Garand), but I like the idea of extra weapons for arming allies and family members.

This totals $1400 for the guns. Ammo, holsters, slings, etc. will run up the cost, of course.

Mike

goon
February 23, 2003, 12:37 PM
"The bolt rifle might be a bit redundant if the repeating rifle is precise and powerful (read Garand), but I like the idea of extra weapons for arming allies and family members."

Many old full power C&R's can be boght for less than $100. I think that they might be a good choice for this purpose.
But I ain't giving my M39 Finn up to anyone.:D

greg531mi
February 23, 2003, 03:30 PM
The number one thing is to have enough ammo. A gun without ammo, is just a club!!! Two. Have guns that family members can shoot. A woman and kids don't like shooting a full power round. 22 long rifle, 223, 30 carbine, all good family guns. Three. Have a place to go. A cottage, cabin, within 100 miles of home, stocked with food, and good neighbors that will help, will help keep you alive. Four. Afterwards, have trade good to trade, ammo, food, services, etc. Five. There will be flea market days in the country, to trade, a good pistol for everyone in the family, is a must. Six. Other survival goods are vital, gas masks, radiation meters, plastic bags, gloves, also cold weather clothes, up here in the north country will keep you from freezing, also water and heat sources are needed. Some stranger that comes with just guns, is just a predator, and is not welcomed. You have to look at the big picture, guys!!!

itgoesboom
February 23, 2003, 08:11 PM
Wow, some of you guys could take over most of Europe with the collections that you have.

I have a pretty small collection at this point;

1- SKS with 400 rounds of ammo
1- Mossberg 500 with roughly 100 rounds of ammo
1- Bersa .380 with less than fifty rounds of ammo (almost all of it is loaded into mags).

So i guess that would be my bare minimum. Shotgun for dealing with threats inside the house. The pistol for dealing with threats when i don't have a rifle or shotty. And the rifle for anything within 200 yards.

In addition to this, i am planning "inherting" my step-dads .22 rifle, and purchasing a Glock 36 as a new CCW. Plus i think i would like to get my wife something that she can handle pretty easily....probably a Kel-tec sub-2000.

Honestly though, how do you guys plan on carrying all of those weapons? Figure each rifle weighs between 6-10lbs, plus ammo, plus food, water, shelter, firstaid equipment...ect ect ect.

I figure i would take the SKS, give the shotgun to my wife, and i would carry the pistol.

I.G.B.

TheLastBoyScout
February 23, 2003, 09:08 PM
If the situation were anything like bugging out, the most I could see per person is 1 long gun, 1 hand gun, whichever the person was most comfortable/competent with (but maybe the handguns could be similar caliber/model). Example, to move out with the arsenal that most people have here, it might look something like (using a hypothetical family of shooters as an example):
Dad: Scoped rifle, concealable handgun
Teenager: Carbine/MBR
Teenager: Garand
Mom: Shotty and service pistol
.22 goes to whoever has the least weight in ammo and other gear.
Anyone who plans on actually takin the amount of weapons in these posts with them on their own in a bugout is kidding them selves, but if you're teaming up, then it might be an option (it also means that each individual member needs only, at most a rifle, pistol, and .22 plus ammo for same, which keeps the cost down)

Manny
February 23, 2003, 11:59 PM
My choices, for all uses, not just SHTF.
-CZ 452 Ultra Lux in .22 lr, hunting, target & fun
-Benelli M1 S90 Practical, awsome firepower within 100 yards or so, accurate with slugs or shot. Not best choice for wing shooting but ghost ring sights are deadly with slugs or shot for turkey.
-M1 Garand in .308, High power shooting, deadly accurate to many hundreds of yards
-1911 gov't w/ .22 conversion, carry piece, practice, fun with .22.
Any more would be gravy, these would get me through.
Manny

Poohgyrr
February 24, 2003, 12:38 AM
OK, I've reread the original question, and it doesn't say I hafta travel or anything, this is for home. And nothin about limited funding, although most posts don't mention the really, really expensive stuff, like a couple of mini-guns, say in both .223 & .308. Those things would lay down some serious firepower :)......

But, in good fun, I'll restate my choices to the following: a tanker Garand in .308 and a Hi Power for me. The other family members also get two each, depending on their abilities to perform with their choices. Hopefully we have some compatibility with ammo and parts. I still like the idea of two or three mini guns though :)....

If you enjoyed reading about "A bare-minimum arsenal - your opinions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!