Do accounts expire?

PDA

Balog
August 3, 2004, 02:33 PM
In a few days, I'm going to be leaving for boot camp, and thus will be unable to log on to THR for rather a long time. Will my account expire if I fail to log on after a certain period of time? I've had an account deleted before because of that, and I'd hate to see it happen again.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do accounts expire?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
August 3, 2004, 02:43 PM
Not trying to answer for admins here but - I admin another VBulletin site and know of no ''time out'' limitations. You should be able to be gone a year and still return and log in as normal.

Only possible thing could be - a major crash with serious data loss - but then we'd all have to start over!

Good luck at boot camp ...... :p

Mal H
August 3, 2004, 02:50 PM
Chris is right - no time outs here. Look at the number of members with 0 posts who have been around since day 1.

I also wish you good luck in boot camp. Check back in when you can.

Balog
August 3, 2004, 03:24 PM
Wow, thanks for the quick responses.

Since my MOS is 03-- (Infantry) and I'm requesting duty in Afghanistan (first choice) or Iraq, I was more worried about being deployed for 1 to 2 years, altho I suppose I'd surely have some kind of opportunity to log on. Still, that's a great comfort to me. Thanks again friends.

tyme
August 4, 2004, 06:19 PM
vbulletin does have a user expiration mechanism, but it's manual, and it isn't currently used.

I'd imagine if it ever was, the first to go would be people who haven't logged in in X months/years and who have never posted. It would take a calamity for users who have posted to be deleted, because that screws up continuity.

Paul "Fitz" Jones
August 8, 2004, 08:41 PM
One of my E-Bay customers, a Major, was sent to Iraq and was in the Military situation meeting of officers audience when Pres Bush surprised everyone by entering the room. He emailed me to tell me about it.

I think there may be email sites available and to whom and where should be checked out.

Paul

Correia
August 10, 2004, 02:04 PM
You do have e-mail access from Iraq or Afghanistan, but you often have to share the computer with a whole lot of other guys. Depends on where you are stationed, some places are better than others.

sm
August 10, 2004, 04:27 PM
The clause for valid E-mail.

So if a person is away and the former valid email account lapses, then it is up to the Forum Owner, Admins. & Mods - and Software settings as to whether the account is dropped. Is this correct?

Correia
August 10, 2004, 07:22 PM
Steve, I don't think we have ever dropped an account because of inactivity.

sm
August 10, 2004, 07:25 PM
Thanks Larry,

I don't recall any accounts dropped for inactivity either - THR or TFL.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do accounts expire?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!