What is "FBI cant" wrt holsters?

PDA

Sawdust
August 3, 2004, 06:49 PM
Subject title says it all...

Thanks,

Sawdust

If you enjoyed reading about "What is "FBI cant" wrt holsters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hkmp5sd
August 3, 2004, 06:53 PM
Instead of being vertical.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/prodimages/5_m.jpg

Sawdust
August 3, 2004, 08:52 PM
Thank-you kindly.

Sawdust

DigMe
August 3, 2004, 10:16 PM
"Forward Body Incline"

brad cook

PCRCCW
August 4, 2004, 11:53 AM
Typically the "industrial standard" definition of an FBI cant is 15 degrees. This works well in alot of applications where vertical carry wouldnt allow a smooth draw and quick presentation of the weapon from its given carry position.
Shoot well.

Sawdust
August 4, 2004, 12:18 PM
Nice site, Eric.

Too bad you don't offer a holster for a S&W 686...but I might be interested in a holster for a 1911 soon.

I wish there was a site that had a "Dummies Guide to Holsters" that explained all of the styles and options, how they work and *why* one style is chosen over another for a particular application. With copius pics, of course.

For example, it is not clear to me what a "pancake holster" is and how it works. OWB is all I know, but does it attach on the belt through loops? It just looks wider than a "regular" belt loop holster to me...

What's a "paddle" holster, and why would I want one?

Anyways, I sure wish I could find that Dummies Guide...

Sawdust

(edited for grammar)

ClarkEMyers
August 4, 2004, 07:08 PM
then read John Bianchi's book and a few more Handgunner's Guide and Blue Steel and Gun Leather will be a good start - some things just are not free on the web and easy to find in one place -

Pancake is pretty much traceable to Roy Baker (pancake was his term) in modern useage and might be described as two pancakes slapped together with a seam around much of the perimeter and the pistol inserted from the top for a flat, no print look - as distinguished from one piece of leather folded over double in front. Horseshoe Leather has a good explanation of this particular distinction on his web site - not going to try to spell that maker's last name from memory.

Paddle holster is easy on and off for folks who go on and off duty or otherwise don't necessarily put a gun on with their pants and take it off when they take their pants off.

Many holsters will indeed be wider at the belt loops - Tucker has nice tuckable with leather backing and Kydex holster and clip loops that shows the layout about as well as anything I can think of. Often the rear offset loop will help pull the grip back and into the body for more concealment if perhaps less speed in draw than say a gun belt mounted canted fastdraw single action rig that sticks the gun way out there.

You will find that just getting a handle on what a given maker offers can be difficult - I have the plastic bag my holster from Lou Alessi came in and it tells me the names of some other holsters he offers, and I can't even find out what they fit (what gun that is, I know they fit as well as humanly possible) or how they look.

And so it goes

PCRCCW
August 7, 2004, 09:57 AM
Saw,
Thanks for everything and the kind words. If you go to the features" part of my site.......it pretty much lays out the different options you can have on most holsters and the given benefits for them. Its not the most comprehensive but its a good start for the layman.

Thanks again, Eric.......Shoot well.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is "FBI cant" wrt holsters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!