Monday Rant

PDA

Kjay
February 17, 2003, 02:37 PM
An odd state of affairs. We sit here on "condition orange" seemingly besieged by terror on all sides. Threatened by pygmy nations with suspected awful weapons while watching our liberties melting away. How does a nation that spends $400 billion on defense recommend to it's populace to buy duct tape to be safer? How do we watch pictures of massive military machines and troop deployments and yet fear individual folks walking around with a simple Swiss army knife? How do we reconcile being a military hyperpower and becoming unglued when a school child draws "threatening" pictures or brings a nail file to class? Zero tolerance applies to airports, schools, and whatever else someone can think of next.

For over two millennia in western societies it was the mark of free men to bear arms. Now you can't talk of gun ownership, knives outside the kitchen are more than suspect, and it you own something quaint like a sword - well then you?re truly bent. Seems to some that if we put away any potentially nasty toys then the world will be very safe. Maybe I'm just confused - my three teenagers certainly think so. Maybe I just need some more duct tape.

If you enjoyed reading about "Monday Rant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oleg Volk
February 17, 2003, 02:49 PM
You can't have any more duct tape. Don't you know that it is the choice of kidnappers and rapists the world over? Ban duct tape for the ducks...err, children! :rolleyes:

geekWithA.45
February 17, 2003, 02:59 PM
is preferred by the Sopranos for corpse disposal.

Notice no one called for something that might actually be useful, like GAS MASKS?

Oh, wait. The guys with badges & uniforms have em all.

Sorry citizen. move along.

Airwolf
February 17, 2003, 03:21 PM
No Kjay, you're not confused. Problem is that you see clearly the insanity that pervades our society in this day and age.

My belief is that the state has grown too large and the mechanisms of government no longer have anything to do with serving the people. Government has been perverted by the new ruling class (politicians/lawyers, celebrities and the liberal elite) into a force that only has one purpose; to sustain itself at all costs

The eventual outcome is what history has shown time and time again: A very small ruling class with all the power and privilege and a very large peasant/serf class whose sole job is to provide resources to the ruling class

People, the citizens of this nation, have become nothing more than taxpayer units most trained in government schools.

I believe that government is slowly realizing that more and more of us are starting to ask the question "Just who in the hell IS in charge here?"

Try as they might to lull us back into a sense of security and keep us slumbering so they may continue to usurp and corrupt all power and privilege for themselves, a few of us stubbornly refuse to buy into it.

Congratulations! You're one of the lucky few that realize just how bad things have gotten can hear the bleating of the sheeple that surround us.

As for the plastic and duct tape? Generous amounts applied to many of our government officials and celebrities mouths would be an outstanding use for it.

Perhaps we can just cover Washington D.C with enough plastic and tape to seal that cesspool from any WMD’s. Problem is if you seal it up that tight I don’t believe any oxygen could get in.

Did I say that was a problem? On second thought, I’d say it’s a solution TO a problem.
:evil:

Baba Louie
February 17, 2003, 03:51 PM
Airwolf hit the nail on the head.

The American Government serves itself, first, second and last. Period. End of Story.

We are here to feed the behemoth, both in dollars and in bodies which they then indoctrinate to the proper belief and mindset.

Your/Our job is to produce, shutup and don't ask too many questions. Unless you want to join up and "Change it from Within" HA!

What is it the Borg says on Star Trek?

So, my recommendation, to no one in particular, is to look out for you and yours as best you can, and pray to the good Lord that you do not run afoul of Uncle Sugar and his minions.

If you should see a terrorist, go ahead and take him out (at your own risk), and be prepared to answer to Uncle Sam explaining who, how and why you "do dat".

And if you're in Chicago, just be prepared to die for Uncle Daley. Where's (the late) Mike Royko when ya need him?

Condition Orange, Condition Orange. Wolf! Wolf! Get your duct tape now.

Oops, informant was lying to us, the nerve of that bastige. How many cops have ever had a suspent lie to them? Doh!

Remember the famous quote, "We're from the Government. We're here to help you."

Having said all that, it is still the only place I could ever imagine living under the one form of government that stands head above all others. Sometimes they're just so... big and stupid, that's all.

Adios

redneck2
February 17, 2003, 04:37 PM
on one hand we scream because the government doesn't protect us. We need more security, close the borders, check everyone....more wire taps, check "subversive" organizations

then we scream because we're losing our rights and being over-run by Big Brother

See, I'm not the problem you idiot....HE IS...(whoever He is)

do whatever you have to do to get him, I don't care. Just don't violate MY rights

do you want freedom, or do you want total protection???

Unfortunately, I don't see how you can have both.

GD
February 17, 2003, 10:51 PM
You know we are a nation that doesn't know how to defend itself when a group of 20 foreign nationals (mostly Saudis) killed over 3000 Americans, brought down the WTC, the Pentagon, and 4 aircraft, armed only with boxcutters. Yep, protect yourself from those terrorists with tape and plastic sheeting. Perhaps the real purpose of these items is for body bags. I no longer look to my government to protect me - I am responsible for my own protection. Anyone who denies me that right is equivalent to a terrorist.

Carlos
February 17, 2003, 11:00 PM
Good, Redneck, I'll provide my own protection.

Good thoughts Airwolf and Baba Louie.

If you enjoyed reading about "Monday Rant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!