OK Who Has Duct Tape & Sheeting?

PDA

BerettaNut92
February 17, 2003, 02:58 PM
A little poll here how many here DO have duct tape and plastic sheeting good to go?

If you enjoyed reading about "OK Who Has Duct Tape & Sheeting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BLiTzNicK
February 17, 2003, 03:01 PM
I've got lots of leftover sheeting lying around from a paint job I had worked on. I grew up a country boy, so of course I've got Duct tape, about 3 rolls.

prhm
February 17, 2003, 03:02 PM
Yep already had it. I do custom autopainting so I always have some around.;)

Tady45
February 17, 2003, 03:08 PM
Neither! After breathing our LA air for almost 10 years, I can pretty much take anything :D

Larry

Neal Bloom
February 17, 2003, 03:12 PM
Yup got lots of duct tape. Duct tape is the baling wire of the new millenium.

mete
February 17, 2003, 03:14 PM
First , plastic sheeting is not impervious to chemicals , second did you ecos know that its made from petroleum ? Our economy needs stimulation in more than just the tape and plastic industries.

Justin
February 17, 2003, 03:21 PM
did you ecos know that its made from petroleum ? If you buy plastic sheeting, you're supporting terrorists!:rolleyes:

QuickDraw
February 17, 2003, 03:39 PM
As a contractor its impossible to survive without either one!
Already had some,but left it in the truck where I can find it
when I need it (for work that is).:D

QuickDraw

m.i.sanders
February 17, 2003, 03:40 PM
Personally I think it's a dumb idea. You'd have to basically build a tent over your house to plug up all the holes. There's more than just doors and windows to worry aout.

Airwolf
February 17, 2003, 03:45 PM
The only reason that I'd buy duct tape and plastic (other than a leaky roof or a painting project) would be if I could use it over the mouths of certain politicians, celebrities and spokespersons for anti gun organizations.

For *that* use, I'd be at Home Despot in 10 minutes.

:evil:

Frohickey
February 17, 2003, 04:06 PM
I already had some around.

The duct tape as for general uses, such as taping up boxes, and when I was doing RC car racing, for putting the track lines on the parking lot. :D

The plastic sheeting or tarp, it was to act as a barrier so that my terrorist-supporting SUV doesn't get Bambi's blood on the interior. Unfortunately, Bambi hasn't shown up, so the tarp remains unused. :(

CZ-75
February 17, 2003, 04:15 PM
I had duct tape, but not sheeting.

That won't change until it's time to paint.

Seriously, the way houses are built, the only good this will do is to add dead air space around the windows and decrease heat loss.

I've been through Anniston, AL where the army disposes of chemical weapons and this is their big safety measure they recommend to local residents in case of SNAFU. Locals don't seem to be buying it.

JMLV
February 17, 2003, 04:31 PM
Duct tape is SOP around my house for just about any quicky repair. The plastic I use)with the tape of course) to cover the inside of my airconditioners(and the windows they are in) in winter. Keeps the drafts out and the heat in.

gryphon
February 17, 2003, 04:36 PM
In my house, duct tape and plastic sheeting are as much a staple as eggs, milk and bread.

pbman
February 17, 2003, 04:42 PM
I voted no, although i actualy have tape and sheathng......I have it for other reasons.

redneck2
February 17, 2003, 04:43 PM
is what we call "storm windows" here

I'm WAY ahead of you fellers. I do that every fall.

And you think Rednecks are dumb. Just took y'all this long to catch up. Heck, we've been doin' this for years.

I coulda told you it'd keep out bugs.....

10-Ring
February 17, 2003, 04:56 PM
I've had duct tape for a while (totally unrelated reasons). Between that & my sticky rice (what good Asian doesn't have sticky rice?), I'm ready for most anything :D Plasting sheeting is leftover from some projects in the homestead. Never knew they'd come in handy inthe war vs. terrorism.

ms1200
February 17, 2003, 05:20 PM
no duct tape and sheeting for me.

i do have plenty of .308 on hand though.

Hkmp5sd
February 17, 2003, 05:26 PM
No plastic, but I can't live without duct tape. It ranks up there with food and water as one of life's necessities.

Jack19
February 17, 2003, 05:27 PM
Yup...already had duct tape and plastic sheeting....for reasons completely unrelated to terrorist attack.

Why someone would seal themselves into a small space is beyond me. Respiration will stop...sooner or later. :rolleyes:

Soap
February 17, 2003, 05:30 PM
I have duct tape, now I just have to add plastic sheeting so I can be INVINCIBLE! Bwaahahahahahaha! :evil:

Mr Jody Hudson
February 17, 2003, 05:35 PM
Ohhh yes.... and a LOT more stuff for just in case. Just the way I am and always have been. Sure I get teased, by my family as being eccentric, until something happens and then I'm a resource. Meanwhile, the rest of my family is really nice to have around for a lot of reasons so it all works out just fine. Ohhhh and by the way, each year, with each occurance, they get a little bit more prepared.

Jody

Frohickey
February 17, 2003, 06:10 PM
Duct tape... isn't that what is holding the universe together? Or is that bungie cords? :D

firestar
February 17, 2003, 06:20 PM
"Yup...already had duct tape and plastic sheeting....for reasons completely unrelated to terrorist attack.

Why someone would seal themselves into a small space is beyond me. Respiration will stop...sooner or later. "

Ditto.

Besides, if I need clean air, I will just take it at gun point from one of my unarmed neighbors.
:evil:

1badmagnum
February 17, 2003, 06:51 PM
if they had duct tape they could have avoided the space shuttle break up.
nasa now stands for need another seven astronauts:fire:

FPrice
February 17, 2003, 06:56 PM
ALWAYS have duct tape on hand.

WR Olsen
February 17, 2003, 07:01 PM
The segestion that the public have plastic sheeting and duct tape comes from a FEMA document that was re-issued in September 2002. It's a general preparedness document that discusses natureal disasters and how to be ready. It's a good document and if you want a free copy contact FEMA at:
www.fema.gov
and ask for document H-34.

It took the media (and some cynical politicians) to make an issue on being prepared.

Jamie B
February 17, 2003, 08:08 PM
Always have both around for deck staining, painting, etc.

I do not, however, plan to seal off a room in the house.
Instead, I'll just tighten a dry-cleaning bag around my head and try to inhale deeply - probably about the same effect.

Honestly, though, the reason that we live in the country is to avoid the city hassle. I also figure that our area would be much more likely to not be targeted, as opposed to a large a large metropolitan area. God bless the hills and acreage!

Jamie:D

Wayne D
February 17, 2003, 08:21 PM
I thought they said duck tape...........

I'm a Jeep owner... hell yeah I have duct tape and plastic! It's called a soft top repair kit.

Kahr carrier
February 17, 2003, 08:27 PM
Nope.But I have a couple of Israeli Surplus gas masks floating around.:)

PageField
February 17, 2003, 08:36 PM
My Iguana cage has to have PS&DT whenever it dips down to 40.
Pool cover for the three weeks of winter.

MessedUpMike
February 17, 2003, 08:42 PM
I can't imagine to many contractors without duct tape or plastic lying around somewhere. I had mine in my bug oug bag prior to the warning on GP. Somehow or another I get to teach my entire church emergency prepardness, and have been asked about the Duct Tape/ Plastic thing a bunch. I'm simply advising everyone that I don't plan on using it for such. Now if a sudden hole appears in my roof, or I need to make a dozen makeshift ponchos real quick I've got it covered.
FWIW I recently attended on of FEMA's CERT, or Citizen Emergency Response Team classes. As a paid Firefighter in DC, and a former volunteer from PG County I figured I might have something to give to the team. What I found was a half-assed FEMA plan with outdated information, and instructions only deep enough to get the un-initiated killed. Stack that on top of another Volunteer with an inferiority complex who didn't appear to want "Paid Mercenary Firefighters" on his team, and I walked. To prove I'm speaking the truth and not just some bitter person will the "Old Men" from The Job tell me the last time fire behavior was taught using the fire triangle? I'm guesssing pre 1990 as that's when I started.

Mastrogiacomo
February 17, 2003, 08:45 PM
Kind of like running to the closet during a fire. Won't bother with the tape or anything else -- except water but then we always try to keep that on hand anyway. I just do what the Bible says, to worry about today and leave tomorrow to God. All you can do really...:)

Standing Wolf
February 17, 2003, 08:54 PM
I've been painting the entire interior of my house, so I've got plastic sheeting. I doubt I've been without duct tape since boyhood.

Psssniper
February 17, 2003, 09:21 PM
Sorry not gonna waste my time with that stuff.
Potassium Iodide, thats another story. Have enough of that to go around the family. Seeing as how I live right next to the Dolly Parton memorial at San Onofre, I figured it was a good idea.
Being a contractor I do have duct tape and plastic, for work.

4570Rick
February 17, 2003, 09:41 PM
My tool box contains;

1. Hammer
2. Pliers
3. Phillips #2
4. Flat bladescrew driver
5. Cressent wrench
6. Bailing wire
7. Duck tape
and finaly a roll of poly sheeting I've been wondering what to do with for about 4 years. :D

Uncle Ethan
February 17, 2003, 10:21 PM
:D The Dolly Parton memorial- Great one Psssniper- I live downwind in North County- need to get iodine tablets. Better than living down wind from the Golden Gate.:p

ahadams
February 17, 2003, 10:26 PM
have it, but the only reason we'd need it here is if they aim at someplace else and miss by a long shot!

Captain Bligh
February 17, 2003, 10:27 PM
I already had both, but I'm not betting my life on either.

Read another poster somewhere write that these were unnecessary because most houses these days are too air tight. I don't know where that fella lives but I don't think he has a clue how "most" people live. I guess he's never seen a real nice double-wide.

I live in a nice house that is 40 years old and has plenty of drafts. Then there is the layout--big, open rooms. I can't figure out where I'd seal off a safe room.

RJ

CZ-75
February 17, 2003, 11:49 PM
No matter how new the house, it absolutely, positively isn't air-tight.

Unless it is the BioSphere and comes with its own atmosphere or O2 supply.

There are windows and frames, baseboards, outlets, vents, doors and doorjambs and numerous other places for air to get in.

At best you could buy time/cut the dosage. The plastic and duct tape could be effective against biologicals to a greater extent than chemical weapons due to the size of the particles.

triggertime
February 18, 2003, 12:16 AM
I have duct tape, ball bearings and plenty of super-glue.

Just one question though, how is porous plastic sheeting going to prevent biological agents from getting into my personal space?

I think I'd be better off covering the house in tinfoil instead. :rolleyes:

CZ-75
February 18, 2003, 02:54 AM
Just one question though, how is porous plastic sheeting going to prevent biological agents from getting into my personal space?

Because it isn't THAT porous. Biological agents are huge compared to even large molecules. 0.22uM is the standard size for sterile filtration. 0.1uM is the size of most virion particles, which are better being heated or nuked to sterilize.

asdaf
February 18, 2003, 03:30 AM
Can't build a Visqueen Palace without plastic and 100-mile-an-hour tape. I don't remember the last time I didn't have these things stashed somewhere in the shed.

Marshall
February 18, 2003, 03:32 AM
Guns, Apple Pie, Football, Hot Dogs, Fried Chicken and Duct Tape!
Anything less is Unmercan! :neener:

Schuey2002
February 18, 2003, 04:12 AM
I have duct tape and plastic in sheets but, I've had it for quite awhile and don't plan on taping up my whole house like that guy in the Northeast..;)

Talk about going overboard.. Jeez!:rolleyes:

Blackhawk
February 18, 2003, 12:09 PM
Neither, and no acquisition intentions either.

meathammer
February 18, 2003, 12:58 PM
Already had both, and I am not using it to create an oxygen tent around my house. Everyone should have a roll or two of duct tape laying around anyway.

slh02
February 18, 2003, 01:47 PM
I honestly believe that we are gonna hear about some fool sufficating himself and family before we hear about any kinda bio attacks. "Just tryin' to do what the gub'mint says, boss."

BigJake_old
February 18, 2003, 02:14 PM
Ductape!?? never leave home without it, seriously, among the flares, snow shovel and first aid junk, the ductape is king. visquene is one of them "on hand" things that has nearly as many uses as ductape.

something funny about this whole thing, i work at a bottled water place, and usualy this time of year up north is not that great for us, to the point of layoffs, not this year. mr. pres has insured that niether me nor my beretta will be going hungry, this month anyway :evil:

Mike Irwin
February 18, 2003, 03:11 PM
I already have it, but I've absolutely NO intention of wallpapering in plastic sheeting.

dave
February 18, 2003, 03:27 PM
Hot digity!

I just knew all that Y2K stuff would come in handy some day. Wonder if all those beans are still good?

Maybe I should rotate my spam supply.

bogie
February 18, 2003, 03:44 PM
The _best_ duct tape is that green army surplus stuff. It stays sticky, and it'll cover bullet holes in high wind. I've got a loose piece of fiberglass on Critter Gitter II, and I've had to make TWO applications of the Miracle Adhesive Substance since last year to keep it in place. #2 is still holding.

Dolly Parton? Im getting visions of Attack of the 50' Bustline...

I wonder if there's been an increase in the number of folks who've darwined themselves and their families with unvented space heaters recently - I wonder if any of 'em had set up with the plastic.

If it stops drywall dust, that's good enough for me.

Litlman
February 18, 2003, 03:59 PM
I am not Mr fix and always lived by the creedo, if you can"t fix it duct it!!! My latest use, tape the refrigerator door closed to keep my 2 year old daughter out of it! She broke the lock that I got for it in a week. Hah!

FPrice
February 18, 2003, 04:39 PM
Has anyone else started getting spam emails offering advice and solutions on how to protect you and your family from chemical and biological attack?

cratz2
February 18, 2003, 06:14 PM
We're currently staying at a hotel during our move (10 days between selling our house and closing on the new one). I was looking through our stuff and I guess my wife actually bought two rolls of duct tape.

My mom lived outside Miami during the Cuman missle crisis and she reminded me that back then, they had missle drills where the kids were directed to hide under their desks. Should prove very effective against a nuclear attack. About as effective as duct tape would be against VX or serin.

Still Learning
February 18, 2003, 06:30 PM
As posted by others, these are two staple items we use on the farm, around the house and for butchering game all the time. Plenty of baling wire as well. We've got all kinds of stuff like that. As far as duct taping/plastic sheeting around the house? No way. If it makes you happy, do it. I can't see it.

TheFrontRange
February 18, 2003, 06:35 PM
I must confess...I gave in to the media hype and actually went and picked up two rolls of duct tape...but more because I realized I had NONE of this miracle-bond and could see the signs that all available rolls were soon to be scooped up! Exactly how I let myself run out of this must-have, I do not know, but I was able to remedy this deficiency before the hordes struck at my local WalMart.

One thing I realized I really didn't have enough of was water. I've heard a benchmark of one gallon per person, per day...so I have been picking up extra gallons of that toward having a several-day supply on hand. Ditto for foodstuffs, batteries of assorted sizes, candles, and matches. Those are just good things to have on hand anyway.

admiral
February 18, 2003, 06:45 PM
have both layin around somewhere. Duct Tape is a necessity.
words to live by: "If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy". - Red Green

dav
February 18, 2003, 06:47 PM
Duct Tape - you just have to have it.

It is like the Force; it has a light side and a dark side,
and it binds the universe together.

Plastic sheeting on the other hand...
well, it keeps the floor clean while painting, I suppose. :o

Ewok_Guy
February 18, 2003, 06:59 PM
How is this gun related?

Marshall
February 18, 2003, 07:03 PM
We always called it Visquene, guess plastic sheeting is more understandable?

:scrutiny:

coonan357
February 18, 2003, 10:40 PM
I to am like redneck, this was the best thing that growing up in north central Indiana taught me, how to draft free a 100 year old house , I applied it to my condo and the neigbors think I 'm nuts but My electric bill ( we have forced air electric heat ) is half of theres and my place stays warmer and I have an end unit , the 2nd benifit is if they set off a nuclear device all the debris will be shrinkwraped !!! :D :what:

JMLV
February 19, 2003, 01:00 PM
My new house is about 100 years old. I still have the ice bin in the celler under the kitchen and a coal bin under the front porch! Any help is appricated. thanks.

Carbon_15
February 19, 2003, 02:05 PM
don't have any Plastic wrap, not going to get any. It sure is comfoting living in the country. Who would gas Fairview, SC? Might get a half dozen people. Got plenty of Southern Chrome..I mean duct tape (DUCT tape people!!)

If you are actualy worried or in a targeted area..might I humbly suggest this:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9489

Jackanape
February 19, 2003, 02:13 PM
Already had both. I had Duct Tape just on principle... I mean, is there anything Duct Tape can't do? I have plastic sheeting around in case an earthquake breaks my windows. I doubt either will be used against chem or bio weapons (or be of much good for that matter).

Redlg155
February 19, 2003, 02:54 PM
I've got some camo duct tape that I use for fixing stuff. As for platic sheeting I'm not worried.

I'd be more worried about having an ample disposable diaper supply at home in case something goes wrong. Used to have cloth ones from our first child, but ummm..they made great gun cleaning rags. :D

Good Shooting
Red

grampster
February 19, 2003, 03:04 PM
Nice thing about Duck tape.......never gets mislaid.....all you have to do is quietly listen for the quack quack quack.
:D :evil: :what:

sm
February 19, 2003, 03:11 PM
Probably some PS and DT around here somewhere...oh 'somewhere' where are you?

Not gonna worry with it, as stated, one day at a time,nasty chemicals-are nasty, run out of O2 at some point. Just brought up to have stuff around for some of life's surprises, tornado's for example.

Now the Question my gunsmith and instructor/shootin buddies want to know...when the staging lights say GO...can we just go ahead and stop the 'immediate threats" :D Figure catching some odd fellows with odd intentions should be an 'stop an immediate threat' right?

coonan357
February 19, 2003, 03:19 PM
jmlv , as for draft freeing a 100 year old house out in the country 1st we would stack a layer of 110 pound haybales around the base of the house up over the first layers of siding , then we would take the visquene , heavier the better and tackit around all the outsides of the windows with lathe strips to help seal them , any doors on the windward side of the house we did this also ,as for the coal box we used that as a cold storage room and we didn't have an Ice box but a cistern in our cellar we knocked out the wall after disconnecting the down pipes and used it as a utility room . , grandpa also took house hold insulation and put it under the floors as to insulate the floors better , and we also had a heater in the basement to try to keep it above freezing , I say use the Ice room as a bombshelter /safe room , I don't know if you live in the city but if you are out in the country this how we did it , I lived in the flat lands 35 miles south of laporte Ind ,and I mean flat lands ... 10 years after I moved back to the suburbs of the city , my grandparents sold the place and the new owners peeled all the clap board siding off and insulated the house then put tyvek on the homostate then sided it with vynal , when I visited them , the house was warm and totally cozy and thy where using $300 (2001) a year in propane to heat it .we where using 600 , and before draft freeing the place 900-1200 and this was in the early 80's when propane was cheap .

denfoote
February 19, 2003, 04:16 PM
Nope, not gunna!!
I think it's typical that .gov doesn't recommend owning a gun to defend yourself and loved ones!! Must not have armed peasants running around!! One of our loyal gang punks might get hurt!!

Besides, Ridge is the Shrub's village idiot, anyway!!!

Yeah, I'm a cynic!! You got a problem with that???? :scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "OK Who Has Duct Tape & Sheeting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!