Waffle House does not allow lawfull CCW.

PDA

Med 10
August 5, 2004, 11:45 AM
Check this out. http://sigforum.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=674608412&f=830601935&m=63010334

We should boycott the WH just like we did Applebees. Pass around the word.

If you enjoyed reading about "Waffle House does not allow lawfull CCW." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Raistlin
August 5, 2004, 12:11 PM
Interesting. I've checked the two Waffle Houses here in Madison, and neither had a sign.

Wayne D
August 5, 2004, 12:16 PM
We stopped at the one off of Rt. 52, just a little bit north of Winston-Salem, NC and they had a sign up. That's the only one I've been in recently.

Med 10
August 5, 2004, 12:31 PM
WH policy is no weapons period. Sign or no sign. Nation wide. If you are skeptical call the corporate phone number and find out the truth. This is a good opportunity to fight for our rights using our dollars. I urge everyone to pass this around.

TallPine
August 5, 2004, 12:34 PM
WH policy is no weapons period.
No knives and forks ....?

What do you eat with? :confused:

flatrock
August 5, 2004, 12:35 PM
They had no firearms signs up in Ohio even before we got the CHL law passed.

repsychler
August 5, 2004, 12:40 PM
The food at Awful House is a weapon.

bogie
August 5, 2004, 12:40 PM
Same here in Missouri - I think that they're worried about their "after midnight" crowd...

Zundfolge
August 5, 2004, 12:43 PM
This came up quite a while back ... I haven't been to the local Waffle House so I don't know if they have such signs here.

However the Waffle House over on 8th street has a giant "Pete Coors for Senate" sign up so I assume the owner isn't an anti or a liberal. You can also see a "Cash Only" sign on the door from the street (which is the main reason I've never eaten there since I rarely have cash).

Hmm ... a "no guns allowed" and a "cash only" sign sounds like an invitation to robbery.

Maybe Justin has eaten there (since he works almost next door).

ny32182
August 5, 2004, 12:51 PM
Considering that a very specific sign is the ONLY way to ban CC in SC...

Concealed carry is not banned from the Waffle House in Clemson, SC. Even if their corporate office thinks it is... it isn't.

I go to Huddle House for those late night snacks anyway. I like the food better and they take Visa.

Sam Adams
August 5, 2004, 01:14 PM
Concealed carry is not banned from the Waffle House in Clemson, SC. Even if their corporate office thinks it is... it isn't.

Uh, that's not the point. The same applied to many of the Applebee's restaurants in TX (we have a VERY specific law regarding posting), but they were threatened with a boycott anyway. The simple reason is that you shouldn't support a business that doesn't want you to defend yourself, even if they are stupid or careless in how they implement that policy. There are lots of other places to eat or shop, and companies like this need to be reminded of it.

Another thing that you need to consider is that the mere fact of such a posting - legally binding or not - makes it far more likely that some miscreant and his demented pals will walk in with a bunch of their own guns to rob the place and its patrons, simply because they don't think that any of you are armed - courtesy of the GFWs (Gun-Fearing Wussies, from Kim DuToit's website) at corporate HQ. So, regardless of whether you personally are able to legally carry there or not, and whether you do, in fact, carry there, such a policy places you (and every other patron and all of the employees) at greater risk.

No, there's no debate: businesses that can't respect my right to self defense WILL NOT get my dollars. They deserve to go out of business, just as if they posted a sign that said "No Blacks or dogs allowed." The principle is EXACTLY the same. If YOU, a CCH holder, won't defend your own right to self defense, WHO WILL? What's to stop the next business, and the next, and the next, etc. from similarly posting (and eventually they'll all get the signage correct)? Go ahead, don't boycott: you can expect the value of your CCH to decline over time.

Nothing personal, but your statement reeks of "I've got mine, so who cares about anyone else." Maybe you aren't thinking things through; I hope that this post helps a bit.

ny32182
August 5, 2004, 01:34 PM
Sam Adams: True enough. Good points.

Like I said if I suddenly get the craving for breakfast food, I normally go to the Huddle House right down the street. If they have an anti-ccw corporate policy, its not any more posted there than it is at WH.

Art Eatman
August 5, 2004, 04:24 PM
Hmmm. News to me. No signs in Thomasville, GA. None along I-10 between Tallahassee and Houston, and I must have stopped at all of them on one trip or another, these last fifteen years.

Art

Tom Servo
August 5, 2004, 05:34 PM
Apparently, several of the posters over at Sigforum have called, and the corporate office has reinforced the policy. I'd like to know what Waffle House is doing to ensure my safety, especially considering that both locations near my house have had shootings in their parking lots in the last year. No signs on either one, but I still won't eat there knowing that the sentiment exists.

Then again, we're back to the question of avoiding situations in which there's a high potential for violence. There's an iHop right down the road that serves better food at a reasonable price at that hour, and they have a MUCH friendlier attitude toward CCW. I've checked, and seen it in action. Armed Georgia bikers LOVE iHop :) They're well-lit and the clientele is just a bit less shady.

Given the constant discrimination lawsuits they've been settling here in Georgia, they just don't seem like the kind of company I'd want to support, CCW-friendly or not, and it's not like I like their food, so it's hard to say I'd participate in a boycott, as I already avoid them. That said, I'm for it in spirit, and if there's a petition, I'll gladly sign. Just don't look to me to walk into one flashing my sidearm as a form of "protest."

Med 10
August 5, 2004, 05:40 PM
Some additional info: If you operate a WH franchise you have to abide by corporate policy. Also when I spoke to a corporate representative for WH they said specificaly " that posted or non posted it is WH policy to forbid the carry of weapons of any sort with the exception of uniformed LEO or off duty LEO with proper I.D." There is a HUGE discussion on this issue at packing.org and SigForums. A lot of people including myself are upset about this. I for one will not give a dime to WH because of this policy. We are fighting a battle for our right to arm ourselves and this is just another small obstacle to deal with.

Russ
August 5, 2004, 06:04 PM
Just one more reason to eat a low carb diet!

ClonaKilty
August 5, 2004, 07:33 PM
Dang it! A Southern institution becoming soft on self-protection!
http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/ruinkai/mad.gif

El Rojo
August 5, 2004, 07:37 PM
What in the hell is Waffle House? And why would anyone want to hang out in John Kerry's house?

El Rojo, No Waffle Houses in the PRK

ClonaKilty
August 5, 2004, 08:11 PM
El Rojo, No Waffle Houses in the PRK

Si, es verdad, Sr Rojo. Which is a shame in and of itself. Here in KA, we're stuck with Denny's -- a cheap knockoff of true trailer trash dinin'

Anyway, on with the boycott & the letters. We turned around Applebees and Blockbuster, we can certainly turn around a bunch of rednecks who deep-fry batter for a living.

gunsmith
August 5, 2004, 09:00 PM
When I lived in FL,next time I visit the humid sunny state I'll eat elsewhere.

One thing though concealed is concealed,we should also not give the GFW's the info they need to post legal signs.
There was a nitwit who went by the name of "hitman" on packing who called up six flags here in CA and let them know that CA CCW's were packing in the park. sixflags now has metal detectors and a no CCW policy,and lots of gang members...lets not cut our noses to spite our faces,borrow from peter to pay paul...you get my drift..

liliysdad
August 5, 2004, 09:00 PM
While I do not agree with the fact that these, and other, businesses choose to disallow concealed carry in their franchises, it is their right. They shouldnt be villified, IMO...kinda the whole beauty fo freedom thing...you have the right to carry, and they have the right to not allow it on their premises.

Standing Wolf
August 5, 2004, 09:40 PM
I don't ever do business with anti-Second Amendment bigots.

Shanghai McCoy
August 5, 2004, 09:49 PM
This is old news to some of us.When Oklahoma passed concealed carry,(have I mentioned lately that I miss Oklahoma?)Waffle house made a big deal about the no weapons policy.NBD,the food there is lousy anyway.

liliysdad
August 5, 2004, 10:03 PM
Come on back to the great state, we have plenty of room for ya!

Treylis
August 5, 2004, 10:56 PM
Their policy may be no concealed firearms, but I've eaten at a local one several times while carrying openly and I was never bothered. There are no signs that I saw either way.

charler2
August 5, 2004, 11:19 PM
Someone earlier mentioned the Huddle House in Clemson, SC - broght back hazy memories of some late evenings in there.
Never carried concealed, but don't remember any signs prohibiting it.

Len_in_Phoenix
August 6, 2004, 02:46 AM
Very interesting........my kids and I had breakfast at a Waffle House in Amarillo last Sunday. I specifically looked for 30.06 or 51% signs everywhere I went and did not see anything at the WH to indicate that firearms were not welcome.

It's really too bad.......WH is the only place that will burn my omelets the way I like them without my having to send it back 3 times.

Len in PHoenix

S_O_Laban
August 6, 2004, 03:01 AM
No signs of any kind reguarding wepons, at the Oak Grove, Mo Waffle house. I was there just yesterday morning and made it a point to check this out.

Close to where I work ( Kansas Ave and I635 in Kansas City, Kansas) , there is a Waffle house that 's been the victim of armed robbery in the early morining hours, twice , in the last six months. I have eaten at this Waffle house but at the time wasn't looking for signs, because KS doesn't think Citizens can be trusted to defend themselves.:cuss:

sm
August 6, 2004, 03:08 AM
In AR the business must have the proper signage. The two WH's I checked on do not have any signage.

Nonetheless , a letter will be sent to WH Corporate Office. Granted - some jurisdictions don't allow folks the right to CCW. This is a matter of principle IMO.

Where is bogie ?

I sent letters and supported his efforts in his state. Why? bogie typed it better than I ....the bottom line if WE don't keep Corp heads and such educated and informed with documentation they will fall prey to the Hollywood/ Political/ Media "mis-infromation".

Now one may not have a WH . Principle: if we don't educate "properly" these Corporations ,Who is?

Principle: We can now use Applebee' s as reference and cite, for instance - Would it not be nice to add WH to this list? Would it be nice to have the Corporations on our side to get rid of leigislative roadblocks?

Last I heard these United States are a Republic. I am one that makes up this Republic.

I may not have bogie's grocery story chain here in my state - don't mean bogie should not be allowed to carry in that grocery store where he resides.

ClonaKilty
August 6, 2004, 06:33 AM
They shouldnt be villified, IMO

I agree, and of course it is WH's right to make whatever policy they want. But I think you'll agree that it is our right to communicate w/ WH and demonstrate the folly of such a policy.

What has worked in the past to eliminate such policies has been calm, polite letters to both the corporate brass and local restaurant managers. There is a great .doc floating around here that lays out "what do you know about your customers?" for such managers, showing how CCWers are the "certified good guys."

And, a very effective technique is to keep receipts from other restaurants you eat at, when you could have gone to WH. Photocopy and fax them to WH corp. and local managers -- with a POLITE cover letter explaining why you chose to dine where CCW is allowed. (idea courtesy of T. Gresham)

Ransom
August 6, 2004, 07:46 AM
Youd think a resturaunt that is open 24 hours a day 7 days a week and more often than not employs young females would welcome law abiding people who carry protection.

Sadly it will probably take someone ignoring the rule and saving someones life to make them reconsider.

outfieldjack
August 6, 2004, 08:02 AM
Link here.... (http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?s=%20%20870482)

(Greenville-AP, July 25, 2002) - The family of a man who was shot and killed while eating inside a Waffle House in 1999 has filed a wrongful death suit against the restaurant. The lawsuit says the restaurant failed to provide security.

In a statement, Waffle House called the shooting tragic and random and says the company does everything it can to insure customer safety. Authorities say 33-year-old Kent Robinson died after he was shot in the head by a bullet that shattered a window at the Waffle House.

Anthony Johnson was initially charged with murder in connection with the shooting, but prosecutors say those charges will be dropped because they don't have a key witness.

We actually had another murder in the parking lot at a Awful Waffle here in Columbia about three weeks ago....

twoblink
August 6, 2004, 12:27 PM
Same here in Missouri - I think that they're worried about their "after midnight" crowd...

Why the waiters should all pack.. It keeps the problems to a minimum, and the tips high.

halvey
August 6, 2004, 12:37 PM
In a statement, Waffle House called the shooting tragic and random and says the company does everything it can to insure customer safety. Like banning guns?!!!??? :cuss:

TallPine
August 6, 2004, 01:36 PM
So .....

what would happen if a lawful CCW holder ignored the signs, and then had to use their weapon to save their own or someone else's life ...?

(assuming the "No Weapons" sign is just store policy and not legally binding on the CCW holder)

45crittergitter
August 6, 2004, 01:41 PM
None of the ones I've been to in MS or Memphis have a sign.

bogie
August 6, 2004, 02:13 PM
Howdy, campers...

Activism 101:

1. Don't give the SOBs one thin dime. Whether their sign is "legal" or not. The intention is there.

2. And this is more important than #1... LET THEM KNOW WHY. Talk to the manager, and talk to corporate headquarters.

Be polite and non threatening, but be firm. Tell them that you are both offended _and_ endangered by their actions. Emphasize that their signs affect ONLY those folks who choose to be affected by them - which will be people who are not criminals. Criminals will look at the signs as signs of opportunity.

3. Next time you go shooting, whatever, with a group of like-minded friends, use this as an opportunity. Walk up to the door, look at the sign, send one person in to speak to the manager, and then the group turns around and goes away. This only works once per group.

If _one_ company puts up the signs, and nothing happens, sooner or later _other_ companies think that they should put 'em up.

Med 10
August 6, 2004, 04:38 PM
Hey folks. I'm glad to see so many post regarding this issue as well as the varying opinions and stances regarding the WH policy against CCW in their stores. I for one am a little concerned about some of our fellow CCW holders attempt to justify or downplay this policy. Statements like just carry anyway, concealed means concealed, its OK to eat there as long as it is not posted, its thier right, etc, are all missing the point. The point is very simple. WH corporate policy is blatantly clear: NO CCW IN THIER STORES EXCEPT LEO. PERIOD. Numerous folks have confirmed this.

There is absolutely no reason or justification for you to give them youre buisness or cash if you truly believe in the second amendment and the godgiven right to defend yourself and loved ones. Furthermore, corporate has promised to get back to folks and have not so far. This tells me that they trully do not care for the customer. I have been spreading the word at work and to people I engage in conversation. We have to stick together on this.

Zach S
August 6, 2004, 08:28 PM
I never knew about the policy. I've been to WH's all over the southeast, and I dont recall seeing a sign (thats not to say I havent noticed one that was there when I was half asleep, the best time to eat there since you dont realize how bad it is). I used to eat there a lot when I sold leather goods and helmets at bikeshows, about four years ago. Dont think I've ate there since. A boycott on my part would be easy:D

GSB
August 7, 2004, 03:59 PM
The one by my house has a sign up. I don't do business with them. I have no desire to give money to people who do not respect my civil rights. I consider the sign to be no better than a sign saying "Whites Only".

wprebeck
August 7, 2004, 04:36 PM
You know, med 10 (or is it emsdude or emsguy or whatever you call yourself over there at GT), I'd love to see the first sign at a WH that doesn't allow guns in there.

For those of you who aren't at the aforementioned forum and don't know, I work an off-duty job at the Waffle House every week. I'm going in tonight, and will do me very best to take a pic and post it at a later time (gotta be at workfrom 1500-2300, then WH from 0000 to 0600, need to sleep sometime). This pic will be of the WH "rules" that are stickered to the front door of every frickin WH in this area.

On this list of rules, there is NO prohibition of carrying weapons, to my knowledge. None whatsoever. Now, each WH is individualy owned/operated, and the group that owns the stores I work for is called "Freedom Waffles". They (Freedom Waffles) own ALL the WH's in the Louisville area, including the "Waffle & Steak" across the river in Indiana. At no time have I been told to not allow people in when they are carrying. Matter of fact, just got a new list of rules to enforce last week, and that wasn't among them.....Fire code violations (too many people inside, chairs blocking aisles, etc) was part of it, but nothing about banning guns.

I will say that the Cane Run (those of you who live here know where it's at) store DOES have one of those "No guns" signs; the type with the gun covered by a red circle and slash thru the gun. I'm mainly at the Bishop lane store (Newburg), and there's no such sign there. You'd think if it was "corporate policy" that we'd all have it up, or at the least, it'd be on the store rules sheet, wouldn't you?

In any case, the guys I work with couldn't much care if you're carrying legally. We're more concerned with maintaining the peace and (relative) quiet when the bar rush hits us at 4 am. If you appear to be carrying, and also appear to be a gang-banging thug, then we'll have a problem. BTW, these stores are in thug-infested areas. If you appear to be a decent human being, then we have no issue with you at all. Just be sure and hit the right person when the BG tries to rob us, OK?

Med 10
August 8, 2004, 02:43 PM
I have just one question for you wprebeck, have you called WH corporate to confirm the policy of no CCW in their stores?

Look, I know how much you guys make working off duty, and I can understand how you would defend this company that is probably paying you big bucks to work an extra job as a security gaurd, { this is the reason I almost became a cop instead of a Firefighter} but I stand by my statement that it is WH CORPORATE POLICY that forbids CCW in their store other than LEO.

But then again this policy doesnt affect you so it probably doesnt bother you. :rolleyes:

1911Tuner
August 8, 2004, 03:01 PM
If'n it's concealed...how they gonna know? :D

Wayne D said:

We stopped at the one off of Rt. 52, just a little bit north of Winston-Salem, NC and they had a sign up. That's the only one I've been in recently.

Which one? Hanes Mill Road or King-Tobaccoville? Hanes Mill Road is
about 6 miles from me....King is about 2.

Sign or no sign...I'd be willin' to bet that if there were 10 people in the place, there were at least five Roscoes, not countin' the scattergun behind
the counter.:cool:

wprebeck
August 8, 2004, 03:58 PM
Med 10,

I have no interest in defending any type of Waffle House policy. Just because I am paid well, doesn't mean I'm gonna sit here on the Net, and spout off about how wonderful they are.

As far as corporate policy goes....if it IS corporate policy, then how come there is NOTHING AT ALL on about it on the "House Rules" sign that is prominately displayed on the front door of every single WH in this area? I worked there last night, and made a special point to read it, yet again.

Know what? It's still not there. So, if this IS corporate policy, then coporate needs to get on the ball, and add it to the "House Rules" sign that they provide each franchise. Otherwise, their policy means nothing, does it? If it ain't posted where people can read about it, then it don't mean squat...

Of course, it seems that many here won't bother listening to me, even though I work there about 12 hours a week, and while there, I'm supposed to ENFORCE THE WAFFLE HOUSE POLICIES that concern the security of the store. Guns would certainly fall under that category, wouldn't they? But hey, what do I know? I just work there every week; I'm not as informed as those of you who might frequent the grease palace for a couple of hours a month.....

:rolleyes:

Med 10
August 8, 2004, 04:41 PM
Still havent called yet have ya?:rolleyes:

wprebeck
August 8, 2004, 04:50 PM
Calling WH to ask them about policies I enforce is rather like me caling up my chief, and asking him about a policy at work. If I wanna know, I look it up. Same goes for WH.

I understand you not wanting to give your money to an anti-gun company. My point is simply this: If WH is so adamantly anti-gun, then why is this little fact not posted in the "House Rules" that I've mentioned? No signs, no letters, no posted anything. You'd think that WH would want to ensure that their customers absolutely knew the rules, and that they would post them. After all, every other rabidly anti-gun establishment I've seen has them posted. Why doesn't WH? Rather, why do these LOCAL stores not post it? Could it be a decision of the franchise owner? Hmmm..

Med 10
August 8, 2004, 05:20 PM
Looking it up is an option, however I would like to hear it straight from the horses mouth. I think that it is also important for the people at corporate to know how WE feel about their policy through personal correspondence and e-mail, snail mail.

I am very surprised that a company as large as WH can be so inconsistent on such an important issue. As I have said previously, this could cause problems if you have to defend youreslf which is a distinct probability given the shady nature and location/clientel of a lot of the stores.

wpreBeck I have just one question for you. if ant CCW policy was uniformly enforced and properly posted at their locations would you enforce this policy?

1911Tuner
August 8, 2004, 05:29 PM
Maybe...just maybe...it's left up to the individual managers of
the restaurants? The WH on Hanes Mill Road has a sign. The one just a few miles up the road in King doesn't. Hanes Mill Road location is close to the cesspool that W-S is fast becoming, and is actually within the newly
annexed city limits. Late night there draws some interesting critters,
and I'm not comfortable there past midnight. The one in King draws
mainly country folk and farmers...Rarely any trouble there, and when it comes, it's usually a fistfight around back between a couple of drunk
cowboys who've discovered that they have the same gal in common.
When the fight is over, the loser buys breakfast, and they sit at the same table while they decide what to do about the lyin, two-timin' gal.:cool:

wprebeck
August 8, 2004, 07:31 PM
Med 10,

Ah...the everpresent (at least on THR) "Are you a JBT LEO" question....

Here's my answer, and I'm sure you'll love it:

It depends.

Depends on what, you might ask..After all, isn't the 2nd Amendment the supreme law concerning the carrying of guns? If someone is carrying, why should I (a JBT, after all) question them about their God-given right to self-defense?

Well, you see, I don't work at these WH's becase they're in a nice area of town. Those particular stores have no trouble, and therefore, no need of security. The stores I work at are in the seedier parts of town, and have a less-than-desirable type of customer coming in.

For example, last week, two different people felt that the parking lot (in front of everyone was an appropriate place to urinate in). Now, that's kinda nasty, you might say, but what's that got to do with CCW? Well, IMO, if the guy's too drink or too stupid to relieve himself in a proper manner, then he's got no right to be carrying a firearm.

Those are the kinds of people that I would NOT allow to carry a gun into WH, permit or not. If the guy was carrying while intoxicated, he'd be arrested, plain and simple (CCW at the least, WE maybe). Basically, I'm talking about the kind of person who has NO business carrying a gun, 2nd amendment aside. Thugs should not have guns. And, for the most part, thugs are who I deal with.

If a normal, upstanding citizen who has a CCW permit came in, and I made him, I wouldn't say anything. Done that a number of times. Matter of fact, ran into some people from Ohio, and got into a discussion with them about guns. Found out they had permits, and asked them why they weren't carrying. They told me they thought they couldn't, being from a different state, and my partner and I enlightened them with the fact that KY honors ANY permit from ANY state. Told them next time, they should be carrying when they come thru.

Now, if a normal, upstanding citizen who DID NOT have a permit came in, and I made him, I first have a talk with him about how easy it is to get a permit here. Then I'd ask him to leave it in the car, since he's technically not legal. If given any crap about it, I'd arrest him, confiscate the weapon, etc. etc. Call me a JBT, flame away, etc, but don't overlook the fact that I said I'd give him a chance to put it away first. After all, it's very EASY to get a permit here (and I'm OK with that, too). There's no excuse for NOT getting one in this state. Basically, if you're legal to buy a gun, you're legal to CCW here. We're "shall-issue", and it's simple to do.

Now, keep in mind that if I "made" anyone actually carrying, there'd have to be another reason involved in order for me to actually bring up the whole "Do you have a permit?" thing. Lacking an additional reason (carrying in a place against the law, thug-type behavior, etc), I would not be concerned with him carrying. Chances are, if someone is carrying illegally, then they're not gonna come in when they see two uniformed officers anyway.

GSB
August 8, 2004, 10:30 PM
Well, if it's not a corporate policy, I do wonder where my local branch got the sign. I've been to a few WH franchises. They all have these little framed signs behind the counter with their policies. The "no guns" on in my local one is in one of those frames and looked to me to be the same typeface and size, so I assumed they got them from their headquarters. Maybe not. I don't know. I go to other WHs that don't have the sign, just not this particular civil rights offender.

Med 10
August 8, 2004, 10:37 PM
Thats a good answer. I feel the same way. I'm also concerned about the overall image I/we project as gunowners due to the streotypes that certain folks seem to apply to us. And no, this was not a baited question, just one of curiosity. I'm not into the LEO bashing JBT thing, even though I know they exist, { have had the "pleasure" of working with a few as a medic on the TAC team}. In the end we are all on the same team and must work together.

I'm sure I am starting to sound like a broken record with all this, so I will drop the subject on this forum as there are plenty of other things to talk about around here. Be safe and make sure you call corporate. { you still have not done that have you? }

:cool:

bogie
August 9, 2004, 01:58 PM
Well, all I know is that I have been meaning to stop by the one down the street from where I'm moving. Lots of places in Missouri have been posting lately...

FWIW, they USED to (before CCW passed) have a sign outside saying that firearms were not welcome on the premises. I asked the manager once if it was okay for me to park there on the way to a hunting trip - got told that it didn't pertain to me... I'm guessing it may pertain to folks who are darker complected... Hate that.

firearms_instructor
August 9, 2004, 11:09 PM
Years ago, Denny's used to have anti-CCW signs here in Florida after the CCW laws were passed.

Just so happens my wife and I were employed as dealers in a casino aboard a ship that sailed out of downtown Miami. Dealers work for tips, which means cash, so I got my CCW (the captain of the ship was a great guy, he let me carry my sidearm on board and secure it in a ship's locker while I worked!). We usually got off work late at night, and the only place to grab a bite on the way home that late at night was, you guessed it, Denny's.

So we stopped going to Denny's to eat, because it was in a lousy neighborhood and I certainly wasn't going there unarmed. But not before I had a polite chat with the manager. And later I wrote a letter to Denny's corporate office. Guess what? Thanks to the power of internet activism / coordinated boycotting, Denny's signs came down after a few weeks. Never had a problem with Denny's since.

I can't really boycott Waffle House, because I don't already eat there (OK, maybe once every 4-5 years). But if someone can post their corporate contact info, I'll be happy to write them a letter. Too lazy to look it up just now, I'm overdue for some R&R.

Now, as to: "My point is simply this: If WH is so adamantly anti-gun, then why is this little fact not posted in the "House Rules" that I've mentioned? No signs, no letters, no posted anything. You'd think that WH would want to ensure that their customers absolutely knew the rules, and that they would post them. "

Here's MY wild-ass guess hypothetical answer to this question: Because WH may not really be so anti-gun, that's just in their corp policy because their attorney told them to CYA in case they ever have a shooting on their premises, they can point to their policy and say, "See, we TRIED to prevent this!". But as long as it's in the corp policy, they can let each store manager choose whether on not to enforce this. But that's just my WAG. Now, if that's really the case, it wouldn't be beneficial for wprebeck to quiz them and have them say, "Yes, that's the policy", because then wprebeck might not have the discretion which allows him to let law-abiding citizens carry in Waffle House.

Oh, and wprebeck, regarding: "Ah...the everpresent (at least on THR) "Are you a JBT LEO" question....", there's no need for the question, after hanging out on this board for a while it becomes real obvious who the JBTs are (you don't sound like one to me) and who the stand-up cops are. Although I must confess that some of the "LEOs" who post here sound like such extreme JBTs that I have had to wonder whether they're really cops, or anti-cop trolls trying to make cops look bad, like the guy who implied I was a pothead (wrong again, mister) because I criticized the War On (some) Drugs. Too bad that thread was closed before I had the chance to respond.

So, in passing, I say, "No guns, no money!" and I hoist my adult beverage and say "Cheers!" to all you police here and everywhere else who do your jobs without trashing the Constitution or screwing over law-abiding citizens. I know you're out there, and I imagine you guys are the ones we just don't hear about.

jungleman
August 10, 2004, 03:46 AM
I usually avoid places that do not want my money. I usually wear a Coronado leather vest if I am carrying and nobody gives me a second look.
I am not obliged to tell anyone who asks me unless they are a law enforcement officer, so unless they call a LEO they will never know.

Highpower1
August 10, 2004, 08:03 AM
I've never seen one in GA. Although their hashbrowns are loaded with enough grease that I lubed my Truck with it.

Raistlin
August 10, 2004, 11:59 AM
Although their hashbrowns are loaded with enough grease that I lubed my Truck with it.

That's actually their defensive system: you're supposed to pick up the squashed-flat disk of hashbrowns off your plate and toss them, frisbee-style, under the bad guy's feet so he'll slip and fall... :D

SMLE
August 10, 2004, 10:06 PM
I sent the following e-mail to the ViCorp. CS address on Sunday, August 08, 2004 4:28 PM
Hello;
I'm writing to ask if Village Inn Corp. has any specific policy
regarding the lawful wearing/carrying of firearms by patrons? The
reason I'm asking is that I live in a State where it is lawful to openly
wear a handgun and where it is also possible for a citizen to obtain a
State issued license to carry a concealed handgun.
I am hoping that You do not have any policy prohibiting such lawful
carrying of firearms by your patrons.

Thank you,

Today I recieved the following reply.
Thanks for writing with your concerns.

Our elected representatives, after due consideration of the issues, have
determined the rules governing the lawful carrying of firearms. Vicorp does
not choose to become involved in this matter by second-guessing actions of
our legislators or the law enforcement officials who enforce the law.

James Dowd
VICorp Restaurants, Inc.

Maybe not a ringing endorsement of CCW, but these days even neutrality on this issue is better than being anti.

hillkillr
August 11, 2004, 04:54 AM
I wouldn't eat at a waffle house anyway. The food is bad and they're mostly full of shady characters (at least the couple of dozen I've been to). The only reason I ever went to waffle houses was to get some food after last call and they're the only one's open.

Double Naught Spy
August 11, 2004, 08:19 PM
I sort of laugh every time people get bent out of shape when a company like Waffle House exercises its rights to preclude concealed carry by people who can legally carry concealed. Aside from the whole "my priveledge is more important than your rights" angle of outraged gun folks, just who can a company preclude from carrying legally? The signs don't work on the bad guys.

Of course here I had to laugh really hard that the offending establishment was Waffle House. Y'all go right ahead and boycott them because of the concealed carry issue. Me, I have boycotted Waffle House for years, not because of any sort of gun policies, but because they happen to be some of the most disgusting chain eateries I have ever been in and have some pretty nasty food. For grins I will say it is for the gun issue. It sounds so righteous, but even if they allow concealed carry, it won't make their food taste better.

wprebeck
August 11, 2004, 09:11 PM
Med 10,

Nope, haven't called yet. Won't bother, either...it's kind of a waste of time.

Everyone please read carefully, as this doesn't happen often (unless I'm talking to my wife):

I was wrong.

I read the stuff over at packing.org, and saw the info posted.

That being said, I'm still gonna go with my "if it's actually corporate policy, why are there so many differences between stores?" question.

I noticed last week at the Cane Run store, that not only is there a "No guns" sign (the one with the circle/slash over a pic of a gun), but in the parking lot, there's a sign that says "No firearms". It's actually on the outside of the store, wayyyy up towards the top of the building. Been working there a year, and never noticed it.

BUT, at the Bishop Lane store, there is NO sign whatsoever. BOth stores are in bad neighborhoods (that's why we're there), and are owned by the same company. So, I can't figure it out.

As far as my response to people carrying goes, see my previous post about this subject. I couldn't care less about a lawfully armed citizen carrying a gun. I did before I was in LE, will do so LONG after I leave it.

The Real Hawkeye
August 11, 2004, 09:34 PM
I haven't noticed any signs in the few Florida Waffle Houses I've been in. Always carry, and never look for signs. Concealed is concealed. No one's business but yours.

P.S. Did you know that they don't serve real butter. Nope, not even if you ask. They say it's corporate policy. That's what keeps me away.

If you enjoyed reading about "Waffle House does not allow lawfull CCW." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!