What is a "BBQ gun"?

PDA

Drjones
August 5, 2004, 05:54 PM
I've seen this phrase several times now, including recently; "that gun is pretty enough for a Texas BBQ."

Does many in America make their BBQ's into gun shows/parades/contests too?

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "What is a "BBQ gun"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tlhelmer
August 5, 2004, 06:01 PM
I took it to mean a conversation piece.;)

Drizzt
August 5, 2004, 06:05 PM
nope... your BBQ gun is the nice shiny piece you wear when your needin to look all civilized, and such, as opposed to the gun you wear daily. Some LEOs might also call it your 'Court Gun'.

sm
August 5, 2004, 06:07 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words...until folks post pics...

Bacically - YES . Folks do have Real Working Guns for such occaissons. Ivory Stocks, Hand engraving, personalized. BBQ Gun is the simple name given for the genre...applicable to ...

Sunday go to meeting , Weddings, Funerals, Divorces, Shrimp Boils, Crawdad Festiivals, Crab Bakes, Fish Frys ( salt or freshwater), Birth of a Newborn, Retirement Parties, Asking The Daddy for his Daughter's hand in Marriage, Meeting the Momma of said daughter, Chili Cook-offs.....

Zundfolge
August 5, 2004, 06:24 PM
This here is a BBQ gun

http://www.morriscustompistols.com/Engraved%20Gun%20Photo.jpg

(its a large image at 2048x1536 pix so I just posted the link)

Even Glocks can be BBQ guns :neener:
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/engraved19.html

And you can go "Tactical BBQ" as well
http://www.thegunzone.com/gaudy-mp5.html

sm
August 5, 2004, 06:42 PM
Z-
Those are "gaudy" not BBQ guns. You are gonna scare Drjones doing that. :p

I don't have pic...I showed up with Model 64 3" HB RB with Herrett Custom Stocks. My other - all Steel Combat Commander - with Herrett Custom Stocks.
Hey - I got class if I need to use it - besides , BBQ sauce shows up easier on steel , than Blued guns :D

Josh
August 5, 2004, 07:13 PM
Anybody know who to see about getting a Glock slide engraved with a bit of Kanji?

Mike Hull
August 5, 2004, 07:16 PM
What's the defining difference between a "BBQ" and a "Pimp" gun??;)

sm
August 5, 2004, 08:01 PM
BBQ gun has Ivory Stocks

Pimp gun has mother of pearl grips :D

JPL
August 5, 2004, 08:03 PM
A flame thrower.

A 2 second burst and those burgers are seared and done to perfection.

3 to 7 seconds for steaks, depending on the cut.

sm
August 5, 2004, 08:05 PM
...hell on marshmellows tho'.....:p

Moparmike
August 5, 2004, 08:22 PM
Only a pimp in a cheap New Orleans whorehouse would have...;)

The trigger on that Series 80 is ghastly. The person that made it should be shot for thinking up such a thing...:eek:

Azrael256
August 5, 2004, 08:34 PM
sm, there is actually some debate about the "pimp gun." We're all aware that only a pimp in a cheap New Orleans whorehouse would have a pearl-handled pistol, however, I have seen some other designs that rival the pearls. One was a Hi-Power with yellow and white gold grips (solid gold, too, family crest of some sort), gold plated trigger and front sight blade, and, of course, the rest of the gun is teflon coated. While all of that might be tastefully done (although I don't know how), it was pushed over the edge by the pearl plugs that covered the screws in the grips.

sm
August 5, 2004, 09:15 PM
I agree.

Being serious.
To me a BBQ or Court Gun is defined as a being a true combat weapon, proven by the user in actual use. I don't mean the firearm has actually been used in a gunfight [ granted, some have] - I mean the owner has practiced, and used them enough to know the gun runs with the ammo he has selected.

Some are "then" customized , others are built with reliablity based off a similar firearm and the intent is to have the BBQ gun made.

Simple - but elegant. Clean crisp lines. Tasteful engraving. Stocks that compliment - still functional. This is where "Less is More" often comes into play. Perhaps a Theme, LEO, Military Branch of Service, Tribute to a fallen father , son or buddy lost in harms way.

Too much stuff , just to have "on it" is gaudy and tastless IMO.

There are Four - 18K yellow gold Zippo Lighters, each having a special 14k white gold emblem of a certain bunch[ lets just say unit] that served in 'Nam.

Their leader was named Ed. 10 guys went in , 4 made it out alive. Ten names are engraved on these lighters, The style of engraving denotes whom made it - whom did not.

There is one more inscription: We damned near licked them Ed

I knew Ed , I made these, and 3 months after Ed was put to rest, I was with the 4 guys that survived at his marker. Those were real tears when I presented them, those were real tears I rec'd in return .

Some called them BBQ lighters...if they only knew....

Ian
August 5, 2004, 09:16 PM
Take a look at this thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6653&highlight=barbecue+gun

45R
August 5, 2004, 09:21 PM
Finger licking good :)

XLMiguel
August 5, 2004, 09:40 PM
sm seems to have it down, overall.

Basically a tasteful dress piece & rig.

YMMV.

Muzzleflash
August 6, 2004, 03:06 AM
One was a Hi-Power with yellow and white gold grips (solid gold, too, family crest of some sort), gold plated trigger and front sight blade, and, of course, the rest of the gun is teflon coated. While all of that might be tastefully done (although I don't know how), it was pushed over the edge by the pearl plugs that covered the screws in the grips.

POST PICS.

Azrael256
August 6, 2004, 06:37 AM
It's not my gun, but I'll see if I can get a pic of it. This thing is fan-tastic.

Wingshooter
August 6, 2004, 10:55 AM
Here's a pic of one from the Texas Ranger hall of fame in Waco, Tx.

http://www.texasranger.org/dispatch/3/Graphics/Guns38Supa.jpg

The ones I usually see are similar to that, but usually have Ivory grips.

My dad has a cousin that's a retired Ranger, next time I go visit I'll see if I can take some pics of his gun. I remember seeing it as a kid and it was beautiful.

GunGoBoom
August 6, 2004, 11:06 AM
Wow, you really CAN gold-plate a fecal dropping. JK. :)

Sisco
August 6, 2004, 01:26 PM
I tried to BBQ a gun once, didn't come out well. Real tough and greasy tasting.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=119560

I love it when this subject comes up! :D

chevrofreak
August 6, 2004, 01:27 PM
This would be my definition of a BBQ gun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=21300999

Carried crossdraw in a modified Yaqui slide type holster made from ray skin.

Matt G
August 6, 2004, 01:47 PM
Sisco, what's up with the screw for the mainspring housing retention pin on the Sistima 1911?

Also, it's red onions for a blued pistol. White go on nickel.

jdege
August 6, 2004, 01:58 PM
http://www.dentrinity.com/ClarenceLai/Img/mg07.jpg

Sisco
August 6, 2004, 05:35 PM
Sisco, what's up with the screw for the mainspring housing retention pin on the Sistima 1911?

That would be 'cause it's not a Sistema. You're probably right about the red onions though.

Matt G
August 6, 2004, 07:38 PM
Okay, okay-- I took a shot in the dark. The photo's reduced and not high-enough resolution for me to read the tiny slide stampings. Is that an old military Colt? And whuzzup with the screw? :)

Also, jdege, that Hello Kitty IPSC gun ain't gonna be showin' up at any babecue I've ever been invited to. . . unless I start gettin' invites to barbecues with tofu dogs on the grill next to Gardenburgers (they're actually not bad, so long as you don't try to think of 'em as "meat."), Boca Burgers, and garnished with sashimi. :)

jdege
August 6, 2004, 07:55 PM
What?

You don't like "Hello Kitty"?

http://thumb9.webshots.com/s/thumb2/6/44/89/64664489BUdrYY_th.jpg

Matt G
August 7, 2004, 06:35 AM
Actually, I think it's pretty funny, and have far less problem with H.K. than most gun-totin' straight Texans.

No, my objection was to the proposal that a pistol with a big glass sight, big sight mount, and extnded compensator/muzzle weight would be carried at a barbecue. As mentioned previously, a Barbecue gun is supposed to be a dressed-up practical firearm, preferably worn in a nice-looking holster that compliments it. (At which point you have what is known as a "barbecue rig.")

The barbecue rig of one of our Moderators:
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=1166752

sm
August 7, 2004, 07:05 AM
:D
Now that's a BBQ Gun.

Lemme guess , the owner is in TX and BBQ is gonna be REAL Meat , most likely beef, the fire is wood with mesquite chips....if not just all mesquite wood.
There will be long neck beer and straight bourbon whiskey. No blends, and for darn sure no stupid drinks with little umbrella's ...

Now while the Real Beef is cooking....folks munch on sausage links, dove breasts, deer jerky....open the small side of the cooker....over there....yeah that thing about the size of a Airstream [tm] put there to keep warm...

Keg has to float before sunrise...it is a TX State Law I do believe. ;)

There is usually at least one SAA Colt, at these "gatherings"....yep - the fellow knows how to use it too...

The ladies....now the ladies if a "black tie" BBQ affair ....nothing sexier than a engraved , hard chromed Colt .380 Gov't , and a lady in a little black dress....
Jeans affair....She uses the matching Commander instead...

Sisco
August 7, 2004, 10:50 AM
Matt G
It's a Llama 'Extra' in 9mm Largo. Don't know whats up with the screw. My Dad bought that thing many years ago and I keep it around.

Matt G
August 7, 2004, 03:28 PM
Lemme guess , the owner is in TX and BBQ is gonna be REAL Meat , most likely beef, the fire is wood with mesquite chips....if not just all mesquite wood.
There will be long neck beer and straight bourbon whiskey. No blends, and for darn sure no stupid drinks with little umbrella's ...

Good call. That particular gussied up Gvmt Model was commisioned by a Texas Ranger, back in the day. Of course its owner is a Texan, through and through, too. :) Its owner has a taste for good bourbon, and more than a taste for well-smoked beef brisket. (Truth be told, while the man enjoys the former, he's downright involved with the latter!) Don't underestimate the number of chunks of Texas meat that get smoked over hickory, too. It's a native tree, found along many a Texan creekbed.

Only problem I have with it is the silly seguaro cactus on it. It's a Texas rig (has the state in gold, with Fort Worth prominently noted, on the other stock panel), but has that dadgummed caracature of a plant on it! Dumb. There's not a seguaro cactus growing in the wild in the entire Lone Star State, nor has there been one. They're all in Arizona and Mexico. It's a small pet peeve, but it's real.

jpc647
October 30, 2015, 12:58 PM
I think both of these would classify as BBQ guns.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/colt-single-action-army-45-lc-lawman-series-pat-garrett-c11098/

http://www.armslist.com/posts/310393/indianiapolis-indiana-handguns-for-sale-trade--taurus-pt-100-afs-gold-accents-mother-of-pearl-handgrips

Both of which, I would like to own.

Sunray
October 30, 2015, 01:08 PM
OP is 11 years old. BBQ's over. snicker.

sequins
October 30, 2015, 04:04 PM
I have a simple 44 magnum rig I use for BBQs, simple stainless steel and rosewood grips in a tan holster. I find it attractive but not too ostentatious, the size being the only thing ridiculous about it.

AlexanderA
October 30, 2015, 06:32 PM
The "BBQ gun" tradition is part of a specific Texas subculture. I grew up in Texas, and was into guns from an early age, but I never heard of "BBQ guns" until I started reading gun forums on the Internet.

Keep in mind that open carry was illegal in Texas. Therefore, there are three possibilities regarding traditional "BBQ guns": (a) the people carrying them were law enforcement officers, (b) the event was on private land, or (c) the guns were carried illegally. (It wouldn't be the first time the law was flouted.)

Warp
October 30, 2015, 08:22 PM
It's a Texas thing.

It only applies where the general population is afraid of guns/open carry is illegal.

You go to a bbq, a place where you can, unlike most places most tims, actually openly carry your pistol.

Stony
October 30, 2015, 08:30 PM
You ever visit the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco, and you'll get a good feel for what a BBQ gun is all about. The rangers have a sort of unstated tradition of great hats, beautiful boots, and BBQ guns in their history. They have some very special guns of this type on display there.

browningguy
October 30, 2015, 08:38 PM
This is mine, I really do only carry it to fancy barbeques, CZ 75 30th Anniversary edition:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Pistols/cz30th03Small.jpg

natman
October 30, 2015, 09:28 PM
nope... your BBQ gun is the nice shiny piece you wear when your needin to look all civilized, and such, as opposed to the gun you wear daily. Some LEOs might also call it your 'Court Gun'.

Close, but.....

A BBQ gun is a somewhat flashy, but still functioning gun. Engraving, gold inlay, high polish blue in a tooled leather holster and belt is the order of the day.

A Court gun is more subdued. It's a formal dress gun, in immaculate condition as opposed to a daily carry gun, with no or minor engraving, a plain but high quality leather belt and holster are called for.

It's the difference between a pair of Tony Lama boots and spit polished black dress shoes.

barnbwt
October 30, 2015, 10:14 PM
"The rangers have a sort of unstated tradition of great hats, beautiful boots, and BBQ guns in their history"
Let's not forget that BBQ guns have been illegal outside private gatherings by the common folk for well over a century. I think 90% of the 'fanciness' associated with them is due to the fact that only the politically/financially well-endowed were able to flout the law at their gatherings. Your fancy Dallas businessmen, mayors, oilmen, and high powered lawyers.

But all that ends early next year; expect some bloom in the gun fashion industry over the next few years. Think about it; Texas is a huge market, getting close to the size of California, and January will usher in a whole new frontier for marketers catering to a new fashion/function accessory. A whole lot of people who either don't have a gun or don't carry will be watching those who do with envy. It'll be interesting to see how far it goes.

Here's a good question, and pertains to guns the same as wristwatches; how expensive of a sidearm should you wear when dressing to impress? Can't get too gawdy or ostentatious, but still want something tastefully eyecatching. Something with large, easily embellished grips or engraving surfaces seems the most obvious route, the most obvious choice being the 1911. A SAA may be more classically accurate of the genre, but seeing as the guns aren't exactly the most practical choice available even in a well-dressed setting, you are likely to come off as impractical yourself. Hmm, what to do, what to do; need some fancy NYC fashion writers to start fretting over these questions for us, whether they like it or not :evil:

"A Court gun is more subdued. It's a formal dress gun, in immaculate condition as opposed to a daily carry gun, with no or minor engraving, a plain but high quality leather belt and holster are called for."
Hard-chrome & ivory vs. blue & walnut; gotcha ;). Also, no one but gun nuts are tech-nerds, so anything but the most boring/common choices in firearm will be shunned (so DA revolvers and 1911s only, for now :rolleyes:)

TCB

yugorpk
October 30, 2015, 11:17 PM
BBQ guns are your pretty go to church on sunday guns. They must be functional of course but primarily they must be conversation pieces. These are my BBQ guns. BBQ guns are best accompanied with a polished sterling silver buckled holster set that costs as much as at least one of the guns. A few silver conchos and a few dozen shells in the belt loops is mandatory. Added points if you can twirl them without shooting your foot off.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/895x503q90/540/EuDV76.jpg

AlexanderA
October 31, 2015, 07:12 AM
Yes, but can cap-and-ball pistols, even fancy ones, qualify as "BBQ guns"? I think, here, we're pushing the limits of functionality, which is a requisite for a BBQ gun. As others have said, the typical BBQ gun would be a 1911 or SAA.

lemaymiami
October 31, 2015, 07:27 AM
Right about now I'm sure the fellow that posted the question initially knows more about this topic than he ever wanted to.... For the rest of us that aren't Texans... I'll just shut up and hope to see another pic or two....

yugorpk
October 31, 2015, 10:43 AM
"
Yes, but can cap-and-ball pistols, even fancy ones, qualify as "BBQ guns"? I think, here, we're pushing the limits of functionality, which is a requisite for a BBQ gun. As others have said, the typical BBQ gun would be a 1911 or SAA."

Sure they can. Ive got conversions in 45 ACP , 45 Colt AND deepened cap and ball cylinders for those. Fully functional even as cap and ball if not more so. SAA's belong in the safe , not slung around BBQ sauce and beer and 1911's are just good trading stock. We do real barbeques with our bbq guns round here. Its not just a phrase.

bannockburn
October 31, 2015, 10:44 AM
Perfect timing for Halloween in bringing an 11 year old thread back to life!

Personally I think any gun with enough "bling" to it should qualify as a BBQ gun.

tarosean
October 31, 2015, 10:57 AM
My take...
http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj507/tarosean/F0DC21FE-F6A0-47A5-9D41-40EACA1A75D3-5044-0000059A3347BE44_zps82fff3e0.jpg (http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/tarosean/media/F0DC21FE-F6A0-47A5-9D41-40EACA1A75D3-5044-0000059A3347BE44_zps82fff3e0.jpg.html)

Jenrick
October 31, 2015, 06:48 PM
One key facet missed completely is the holster. The Texas Department of Corrections for decades ran leather shops out of the various prisons that made some amazing leather work. These could be bought be LE, or they were gifted to various local or state political figures. A rural sheriff was pretty much guaranteed to be carrying his gun in a hand tooled, floral carved rig made by the inmates of TDC. Same with the Rangers.

A Texas LE BBQ gun MUST be carried in such a rig, or at least one made in similar style. Strong side OWB ONLY. Only guns with hammers may be carried (this of course includes revolvers). Hammer down is acceptable for 1911's and similar, particularly if there will be alcohol served, or one is not on-call. Finish should be nickle or chrome, though high polished blue is acceptable if the inlay is done in gold or silver to contrast. The gun must feature at least carving/engraving on the pistol, and if possible the grips as well. The gun must function and be capable of light shooting, with enough accuracy to engage a large empty tin can at 15 yards or so. If the gun is too delicate to actually shoot, one will be ridiculed.

A court gun as noted above, is much more understated. It is in fact usually a smaller more concealable piece that sits well under your suit. Any gun is acceptable as long as it clean and in a clean holster. Any holster type is acceptable so long as allows reasonable access to your firearm, and sits relatively inconspicuously under your jacket. If you will not be wearing a suit jacket and you will not be in uniform, then the pistol and the holster should be as close to factory new in appearance as possible (the analogy of polished black dress shoes is spot on). Anything other then a strong side OWB holster is strongly discouraged, and will be seen as either a complete lack of knowledge or someone trying to be "fashionable." The later is a far worse sin in LE culture, particularly in the South.

-Jenrick

alexander45
October 31, 2015, 07:01 PM
It's a gun so big that when you shoot s deer with it it skins it and cooks it for you lol

200Apples
October 31, 2015, 10:40 PM
Zundfolge

Even Glocks can be BBQ guns :neener:

A Glock will never be a BBQ gun.

Please. The tupperware in that link is only an effort at polishing a turd. . :neener:

:-|

tommy.duncan
October 31, 2015, 10:47 PM
http://www.turnbullmfg.com/gun/turnbull-model-1911-bbq-edition-2/

Here is a link to the Turnbull BBQ 1911. My LGS has 2 of these.

tarosean
October 31, 2015, 11:12 PM

Sure it can... Just dont get too close to the pit with it. :evil:

savanahsdad
October 31, 2015, 11:27 PM

Please. The tupperware in that link is only an effort at polishing a turd. . :neener:

:-|

$7,000 worth of turd Polish :what::what: the phrase "lipstick on a pig" comes to mind :D

Moparnut
October 31, 2015, 11:54 PM
I never thought I would read the words "turd polish".:DD My wife looked at me funny when I started busting out laughing. In all seriousness though, I thought BBQ gun was where someone super heated the gun to give it a patina look? I thought it was slang for that particular process.

horsemen61
October 31, 2015, 11:58 PM
I know I want one

chuckcook
March 16, 2016, 12:07 AM
Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) inmates made my gun rig and german silver grips. They always do an excellent job.
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr165/arbuckle54/IMG_0810.jpg

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr165/arbuckle54/IMG_4194.jpg

T2K
March 16, 2016, 12:51 PM
Now THAT'S a BBQ gun.

Iggy
March 16, 2016, 01:22 PM
Wyoming BBQ rig that was built in Texas.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/Iggy25/Keith%20Holsters/P1010002.jpg

horsemen61
March 16, 2016, 01:49 PM
Nice rig iggy

Officers'Wife
March 16, 2016, 02:00 PM
If a BBQ gun is a "conversation starter" then my great grandfather's old Colt surely qualifies. Everytime I bring it out at least one person will say - you mean you can still shoot that thing?

chuckcook
March 16, 2016, 02:10 PM
Thanks, T2K

chuckcook
March 16, 2016, 02:12 PM
Iggy, That truly is a nice rig!

bannockburn
March 17, 2016, 07:24 AM
Iggy

Very nice rig! Love the grips too. They remind of those made by Roy Fishpaw.

Old Dog
March 18, 2016, 02:15 AM
Iggy's rig is great, love the classic Smith, but sorry ... chuckcook for the win. Simply awesome rig and the stocks on that Series 70 are gorgeous.

Iggy
March 19, 2016, 12:53 PM
Sure can't argue with Old Dog. That 1911 rig is awesome.:)

200Apples
March 19, 2016, 05:07 PM
Nice rigs! chuckcook and Iggy.

Very, very nice.

:-)

Grayrock
March 26, 2016, 01:28 AM
Chuckcook wins best personally owned BBQ rig- but that Turnbull Government Commander Heritage gets my vote as most desirable!

Llama Bob
March 26, 2016, 02:02 PM
Traditionaly this was the distinction:

- A BBQ gun is a fancy gun intended to show off on social occasions. They were typically American made, engraved, usually high-polish blue and often had some sort of fancy grip, but typically not mother of pearl. This is a reasonable modern example:

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/TBBQ-3001-LS-1024x726.jpg

- A court gun is a gun designed to go with a suit and convince people you're a sober, responsible officer of the law. Usually american made, not engraved, blued, and with fancy but restrained grips. Example:

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/RS-full-length-for-website-listing-1024x666.jpg

- A pimp gun is owned by a different social class of people, and is typical a cheap piece of junk that has somehow been made shiny. Mother of pearl grips predominate. Chrome, gold & polished stainless finishes are common. Engraving if any tends towards naked women or Mexican saints. Rich pimps may do the same to a higher quality gun. A canonical example:

http://i.imgur.com/YfwQmqJ.jpg

Lever30
March 26, 2016, 09:58 PM
Series 70 Colt, safe queen.

CDW4ME
March 27, 2016, 08:50 AM
Although this old thread has been resurrected a couple of times, its a gun that the owner perceives will impress others (perception may not be reality).

yugorpk
March 27, 2016, 12:24 PM
Although this old thread has been resurrected a couple of times, its a gun that the owner perceives will impress others (perception may not be reality).
I wouldnt say that is true at all. Some guns are works of art and can be embellished to make them even more beautiful. Its not necessarily something the oner does to impress anyone else. Ive got quite a few guns that could be called BBQ guns but that doesnt mean anyone else is ever going to see them.

200Apples
March 27, 2016, 12:30 PM
...a gun that the owner perceives will impress others (perception may not be reality).

Thanks to Llama Bob for his excellent, most recent post, we now know THAT would be the pimp gun. Hahaha... because as soon as we set out to *impress* others... we might as well be pimps.

And thanks again to L.B. for his inclusion of the Court Gun. That one has my name all over it. Just beautiful.

Grayrock
March 27, 2016, 01:00 PM
Although this old thread has been resurrected a couple of times,
What better time than Resurrection Sunday? Now I wish I could wear a BBQ gun to the Jerry Jeff Walker concert tonight :p

CapnMac
March 27, 2016, 05:04 PM
It's a collision of things.

One was that old time tradition had jail trustys would hand carve holsters and leather for favorite LEO. They often would also do grips for service arms, too (per the excellent example above). Those then became "Court guns" something to wear in the dignity of a courtroom with a hint of panache (especially since lunch was going to be at a downtown joint rather than a greasy spoon out on FM 1155.

Out in the ranching areas of Texas (as opposed to metro areas, the coast, or the Piney Woods), where people measured land by the section (1 square mile) rather than acres, so daily carry was commonplace. If you had a shindig, and you invited the Sherriff, the rest of the County Commissioners, and suxh similar bigwigs, you wanted something dressier than that old Police Positive in a plan flap holster. Your neighbors were likely to dress up, too, and that included the sidearm they put on for the 30, 40 ,50 mile drive from their place to yours.

Throw in that many of these families would have kids & kin who were LEO, and you have a collection of folks all carrying, and not necessarily looking to impress, but to show they'd put an effort into cleaning up and looking nice.

OF course, there are exceptions to every rule, and Texas has no lack of those. I've seen some court guns carried by folk who should not be allowed near live ammo. Same as I've seen folk whose idea about "dressing up" was to put on a set of recently washed hickory pinstripe overalls.

Such is life.

And, it's been too long since I've been to a 'Q where the meat was smoked by the quarter, too.

stchman
March 28, 2016, 06:47 PM
It seems to me that BBQ guns can only be fancy 1911s or ornate single action cowboy revolvers with scroll work.

Liberty1776
March 28, 2016, 06:58 PM
Those are the top candidates, true. But a well-engraved 4" Model 27 Smith or Colt Python could make the grade...

opr1945
April 9, 2016, 10:56 PM
Poor man"s BBQ gun

If you enjoyed reading about "What is a "BBQ gun"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!