Who tells you how to vote?

PDA

Okiecruffler
August 5, 2004, 07:25 PM
Was discussing politics with a co-worker last night. I respect her quite a bit, a truely great nurse, we've ran more than a few codes together and her skills are unquestionable. So obviously she's no simplton. How ever she's hellbent on voting for Kerry. When I assked her why, she stated, "Even Bruce Springsteen is endorsing him.":what:

Okay, there are stars that I'm fond of, Selleck, Hopkins, even Johnny Depp, but I don't give a tinker's damn about who they say I should vote for. If John Wayne himself came back from the grave and told me who I should vote for it wouldn't carry any weight with me (okay, maybe alittle, he did come back from the grave and all). I have this nasty little habit of finding out as much as I can about the candidate for myself. Let you in on a little secret, I've even voted for Dems from time to time. My co-worker said she doesn't have time to do all that.

So who would you let tell you how to vote?

If you enjoyed reading about "Who tells you how to vote?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
boofus
August 5, 2004, 07:35 PM
John Kerry told me how to vote. He said he didn't want to be the candidate for NRA members. I will take his advice. :scrutiny:

Jack T.
August 5, 2004, 07:37 PM
I tell my wife how to vote. . .does that count?

Monkeyleg
August 5, 2004, 07:45 PM
If I based my vote on the Bruce Springsteen's and John Mellencamp's, I'd be voting for Kerry.

There was probably a time--maybe when I was 17 or so--that such endorsements mattered.

That anyone would take them seriously later in life is frightening.

(Oh, BTW, at the Springsteen concert last September, Bruce got on a rant about GW. The booing was so loud that it drowned out what he had to say).

joab
August 5, 2004, 07:46 PM
"Even Bruce Springsteen is endorsing him." Of course he does he is an ultra liberal who came back to fame by protesting the Vietnam war years after it was over.

pinblaster
August 5, 2004, 08:12 PM
:D My guns tell me how to vote . :D

pax
August 5, 2004, 08:13 PM
No one. I'm kind of stubborn that way. I'll make my own mistakes, thankyouverymuch.

My grandpa used to tell my grandma how to vote. For weeks before the election, he would pore over the campaign materials, making lists and scratching things off. Finally he would produce, for her edification, a list of all the proposed items on the ballot for which "they" would vote and a list of candidates who would receive the nod.

Grandma always meekly accepted his carefully-made list and would carry it into the voting booth with her.

She confided to me, years after his death, that never once in all the years they were together had she done anything with his list except to consult it so she could vote the opposite from grandpa if she didn't have a position of her own.

pax

Marriage always demands the finest arts of insincerity possible between two human beings. -- Vicki Baum

TallPine
August 5, 2004, 08:14 PM
The voices in my head, of course.

Doesn't everybody hear those ....? :confused:

Barbara
August 5, 2004, 09:18 PM
I'm the pesky person running around telling other people how to vote.

sumpnz
August 5, 2004, 09:55 PM
So who would you let tell you how to vote? My conscience.

If that fails me, then I suppose my Indian Ringneck or my Quaker could probably tell me (though since there aren't any candidates named Baby or Bobby they might not be too helpful). Considedring how many times they say "Gimme Kiss" each day one might think they're on the liberal end of the spectrum. Then again, maybe listening to a pair of birds that say "Good Morning" at 9PM might not be so smart. Maybe the dogs can help me then. They did convice me to get that .22 so I could go rabbit hunting. Hmmm, 'course my infant daughter did do a pretty good job picking out the Scotch for my first Father's Day.

Moparmike
August 5, 2004, 09:56 PM
Well, I have the liberals in one ear screaming about how eeeeevil Booosh is, etc., and on the other ear, I have the Repubs screaming about horrible a candidate sKerry would make, etc. etc. I think they are both right. :D

August 5, 2004, 10:06 PM
I know I am out to lunch and all, but I have never and I mean never understood why anyone would take the advice of a movie actor, television host, professional athlete, rock star etc.
What makes anyone think they know anything about anything ?

I don't even understand why people know their names. If I hear a piece of music, or see a movie that I like, I don't make it a point to find out the real names of the actors or who the director was. I don't care. The movie or music was pure entertainment. I don't take any of these people seriously. They may well be great at what they do, but as far as I know, that is it. And I don't consider what they do to be all that great of an accomplishment to be honest. Yeah, I probably couldn't do it, but the people working on the cure for cancer or something are certainly much more accomplished and educated people than some rock star.

Soap
August 5, 2004, 11:45 PM
The "Boss" also sings like this: "BA RAAA RAAA BA RAAH AHAA HA AASDFFD *MUMBLE* BA RAA AMERICA BRARARA"

He has one of the most annoying mumble-like singing voices I've ever heard.

DorGunR
August 6, 2004, 12:01 AM
I vote the same way I'm sure most of you vote.......................just as I damn well please.

Monkeyleg
August 6, 2004, 12:23 AM
Daniel Flory, it would seem that the same sound man was working the show when you saw Bruce.

I'm constantly amazed that people will base their votes on the likes of Springsteen, Jay Leno, Letterman, or any other entertainer. Springsteen was, at least 20+ years ago, a good songwriter and entertainer. In any interview I've seen with him, though, I'm surprised that he even reached the point where he could voluntarily drop out of school. I mean, the man isn't articulate.

I'm now 53 years old, and would ask a question of those from my era: other than John Lennon, does anyone remember pop stars taking political stances in public? Perhaps it was because they were stoned to the gills, but I don't recall any headline news annoucing that Janis Joplin was stumping for George McGovern.

Message to The Boss: shup up and play.

Michigander
August 6, 2004, 12:42 AM
My vote is based on crop circles. Well, at least when I do not have my tinfoil hat available (it's embarrassing to wear it in public, you know). :neener:

Sindawe
August 6, 2004, 01:02 AM
Hmmmm...currently its voice in my head number 2356/b, the one who looks like a Nibari female that's been assimilated by the Borg and is a Russian Jew with the rank of Capt. that runs the Rangers. :neener:

Truthfully, its based on an examination of the issues at hand in the election and how closely the candidates stated position matches my own. Some times it a Republican, occasionally its a Democrat, usually a Libertarian.

twoblink
August 6, 2004, 01:13 AM
My wallet tells me how to vote..

JPL
August 6, 2004, 01:21 AM
The man in the mirror.

The one who stares back as I brush my teeth.

Malone LaVeigh
August 6, 2004, 01:42 AM
These days half the people I run into are telling me how to vote. I nod my head politely and mumble something about that sure being something to think about.

GSB
August 6, 2004, 08:56 AM
L. Ron Hubbard. We speak daily.

MP5
August 6, 2004, 09:30 AM

Me.

Stetson_CO
August 6, 2004, 10:33 AM
The voting person that says either, punch this card, or push the button or pull the lever....

No one tells me WHO to vote for though.

c):{

cuchulainn
August 6, 2004, 12:26 PM
http://www.think.cz/issue/19/grey-ALIEN.gif

DevilDog
August 6, 2004, 12:36 PM
In no particular order....

Potholes
My wallet
My gun safe
Osama

rick_reno
August 6, 2004, 01:00 PM
My TV tells me how to vote.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who tells you how to vote?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!