New toy

PDA

Gunner45
December 29, 2002, 12:49 PM
Well it look like I get to enjoy a new aspect of the shooting sports. My brother gave me quite a christmas gift. I opened a rater lage box that contained a Dillon B-Square reloading press, the case tumbler and Media seperator, and box full of media to put in the tumbler. :) I have neve reloaded before, and am looking forward to learing. By the way the press came with a set of .45acp dies. :D

Now all I need is brass, powder, primers and the hard copper colored thing that fly down range.

Gunner45

If you enjoyed reading about "New toy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Skullboy
December 29, 2002, 02:55 PM
WOW!!! You've got a cool brother!!!

My advice would be to go out and get the Lyman Reloading handbook, and The ABCs of Reloading and start reading.I would also go and get the powder manufacturers load manuals for any of the powders you are going to use.If you know someone who reloads, maybe they can show you the ropes.Always use caution when loading, especially when using someone elses load data.If in doubt, don't do it.There are a LOT of experieced handloaders out there who would be more then willing to answer any questions, or give advise.

Happy SAFE, loading.

SKBY.

sm
December 29, 2002, 03:12 PM
Whoa, congrats!
Whatever you did to receive such a nice gift--remember and repeat for next year:D

I agree, lots of people willing to teach--enjoy

Jim Watson
December 29, 2002, 03:15 PM
A powder scale is a must. Doesn't have to be electronic, a $50 beam scale will do fine for setting the powder measure.
As said, get one or more manuals, free literature or www sites from powder companies, Dillon does videos, too. Study up.

WESHOOT2
December 30, 2002, 01:01 AM
IMI cases, Rainier 230g TCJ-RN, CCI (or Win) primers, and good old W231.

cheygriz
December 30, 2002, 01:13 AM
Lucky devil!!!!

Get a couple of reloading manuals. Lyman and Hornady, Hodgdon or Sierra would be good choices.

Get a scale. An inexpensive beam balace is all you need. Just make sure that the scale is manufactured by Ohaus Scale Co. Lyman, RCBS, and probably a couple of others are made by Ohaus.

Any plated 230gr bullets will work well. Berry's, Rainier, West Coast, etc. Buy them by the thouisand and save money!

Hodgdon Universal powder works extremely well and burns clean. Winchester 231 and Hodgdon HP-38 would also be good.

Remington primers. I've used nothing but Remington primers for over twenty years without a single problem.

And always remember: Velocity, accuracy and economy are important, but safety is mandatory!

Good luck, AND ENJOY!!!!!

cola8d8
December 30, 2002, 10:41 AM
I use a 200 grain SWC with 4.8-5.0 grains of WST... Always has worked good for me... Cheap too.

cardboardkiller
December 30, 2002, 12:35 PM
Federal primers, straight Clays or 231 powder, Precision or Berry's bullet, I stick with 200 grainers, and Starline or Winchester brass.

A bottle of Advil and case of beer for when you get done, setting a machine up for the first time can be a pain in the arse, if you have a rapidly reached frustration level like I do. Know when to step back and take a break.

Jeeper
December 30, 2002, 12:41 PM
Nice

Neal Bloom
December 30, 2002, 01:13 PM
Nice gift! Sometimes siblings can be surprising. Enjoy and be safe!

Gunner45
December 30, 2002, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the advise guys. I will get the manuals and start doing my home work. Wow, I neve thought I would be excited to do home work. :)

Gunner45

If you enjoyed reading about "New toy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!