Home invasion?

PDA

Lennyjoe
August 6, 2004, 12:53 PM
Just read this article on Foxnews and was kinda feeling like I have to throw the bs flag on this one.

What say you?

Florida Citizens to Help Catch Terrorists

Thursday, July 15, 2004

MIAMI — Law enforcement officials in central Florida are planning to train cable repairmen, exterminators and apartment managers to report signs of terrorism inside their clients’ homes.

Supporters of the program say making private citizens the eyes and ears of the police will save lives.

But opponents, like the ACLU (search), call the plan “un-American” and say it’s a violation of privacy.

Operation TIPS (search), a similar program proposed by President Bush, was withdrawn in 2002 after critics said it would lead to racial profiling.

So far, 5,000 brochures detailing the Florida plan have been printed, and volunteers will be trained what to look for.

But Orange County officials stress that people who go through the training will be encouraged to only report what they see — not search for evidence

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,125598,00.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Home invasion?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Can'thavenuthingood
August 6, 2004, 12:59 PM
Another case of too much money in government hands.
Yeah I agree, its BS.

Vick

tcsd1236
August 6, 2004, 12:59 PM
The more eyes and ears to see and hear things that they cannot pass along to us, the better. We cannot be everywhere at once.

Ktulu
August 6, 2004, 01:19 PM
This is stupid! Anyone who invites the cable guy into their home with a bomb project or a pound of weed on the kitchen table deserves everything they get and more.

The same goes for anyone before this little program who leaves money or guns around these guys and the stuff disappears or their house gets broken into.

EDIT: Why would anyone trust a stranger just because he works for the gas company?

PBIR
August 6, 2004, 01:26 PM
While I agree that we as a country need to be vigilant against terrorism, I can't help but wonder how much groundless search incidents are going to rise in FL. Remember the Hibiscus thread here recently? What if your cable guy sees your stick of butter on the table and turns you in for having a block of c4. Whoops, here come the door kickers!

Delmar
August 6, 2004, 01:30 PM
What if your cable guy sees your stick of butter on the table and turns you in for having a block of c4

I can't believe its not butter:what:

Ktulu
August 6, 2004, 01:35 PM
What if your cable guy sees your stick of butter on the table and turns you in for having a block of c4. Whoops, here come the door kickers!

Good point, but I need a new front door.

White Horseradish
August 6, 2004, 01:39 PM
Why am I suddenly thinking of a communal-flat resident informing on the neighbors so that he could get another room...

This has a bad smell. Getting half the county to spy on the other half is a totalitarian favorite.

MP5
August 6, 2004, 01:45 PM
Supporters of the program say making private citizens the eyes and ears of the police will save lives.

Flat-out anti-American BS, reminiscent of the former Communist East Germany, filled with citizen informers working for Big Brother.

This sort of silly paranoia will just end up costing us law-abiding citizens even more of our rights than have already been limited or stolen. "I'm afraid of terrorists, Sir, so please deny us privacy, due process, the right to keep and bear arms, the ability to speak out against the current leadership--you name it, Sir, as long as it stops those al-Qaeda guys!"

Ex-Doc
August 7, 2004, 01:47 AM
1984=2004

jnojr
August 8, 2004, 03:02 AM
The last time I got a few cases of ammo delivered, the UPS guy made a joking comment about WW III. Good thing he didn't dial 911 or the anonymous tip # as soon as he got out the door...

sm
August 8, 2004, 03:37 AM
One has to remember history - folks were encouraged and rewarded by the State to keep the State free and pure.

I live in an apt, as many do. The exterminator on contract has a schedule.Resident Mgr and Exterminator enter apts while folks are gone. What if the tennant above you, has the Hot Water Heater go out while at work, away on aweekend...? Well if the downstairs tennant is home, we now have 2 apts entered by resident mgr and maybe the maintanace person. Upstairs to turn off water and replace Hot water heater, downstairs to check for damage. If I recieve a bulky package , it is left with Resident Mgr....he can read. LLBean is probably clothes...what is this Montana Bullets label?

Your own home, is not excempt. What about the plumber, the UPS/FED EX folks, code inspectors for community, and all those funny looking black tactical cases with HK, Beretta, Wilson Combat ...etc., the neighbor's see , neighbor kids see ["mommy school teacher said guns are bad - Glock is a gun mommy,I saw the hate on Mr. Jones dash'"] you tote to and from the parking lot at complex, your carport....seen as window sticker on a camo paint job truck...

History again reveals many mass graves of those whom did not understand their usefulness was no more by the State .

WilderBill
August 8, 2004, 08:45 AM
Sometimes people are stupid enough to leave things out, even when they know they will have visitors.
Yeras ago, I was painting apts. Usually they are empty between tennants.
Sometimes they get a quick reapaint while occupied if the the tennant has been there a while and asks for it.
Once my helper and I walked in and found a big bag of weed on the table.
We didn't see any need to inform anyone else.
That moron was lucky. It only cost him one joint to buy our silence. :D

If it had been a bomb, I might have been a little less friendly and understanding.

joab
August 8, 2004, 08:04 PM
This is stupid! Anyone who invites the cable guy into their home with a bomb project or a pound of weed on the kitchen table deserves everything they get and more. I have been walking into houses and apartments for 20 years you would be shocked by some of the stuff I have seen just laying around. This would be an absolute intelligence bonanza for the Fed.
I've only called the authorities once. And contemplated it once.

If you enjoyed reading about "Home invasion?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!