New German Superrifle!

PDA

KRAUTGUNNER
August 6, 2004, 04:17 PM
http://www.oberlandarms.com/images/waffen/langwaffen/oa-10.jpg

www.oberlandarms.de

.308Win; 18", 21" or 26" Lothar-Walther-bullbarrel; optional flashhider or compensator; 10 or 20 round H&K G3-magazines;

For the discriminating shooter! Available from 9/14/04! :cool:

Rejoice Rebs and Yanks, the future looks bright! ;) :) :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "New German Superrifle!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Spieler
August 6, 2004, 04:26 PM
Great, just what the market needs, another Stoner/AR-based rifle. It looks great, but I'm a bit bored with the AR-style platform myself.

Kestryll
August 6, 2004, 04:56 PM
That looks so big and so heavy and so unwieldy and yet so COOL!!!!
I want one!!

Sam Adams
August 6, 2004, 05:07 PM
Looks way cool and hyper deadly, but it is German. This means that it will cost at least 3 times what it could be produced for here. When working (some 1.3% of the time) it will perform better than any similar rifle in the world, but it will have many more parts than needed and be either in, on the way to or on the way back from the factory. It will only be repairable by some guy named Dieter, who's on vacation about 10 weeks per year, only works about 14 hours/week the rest of the time, charges $185/hour to do so, and who has a 3 1/2 year backlog. Oh, and he's 1 year from retirement.

Nah, I'll buy American and keep the money home (and much more in my pocket).

KRAUTGUNNER
August 6, 2004, 05:57 PM
@ KestryII: No problem! Just shell out 3.150 bucks and it's YOURS! Without the flashhider you pay only 3 grand. :)

@Sam Adams: Yes I know..........old stereotypes and prejudices die hard. :D

azrael
August 6, 2004, 07:22 PM
ICH WILL!!:D

nipprdog
August 6, 2004, 07:39 PM
Available from 9/14/04!

AWB and import restrictions are 2 different things.

Skunkabilly
August 6, 2004, 09:08 PM
http://www.skunkabilly.com/images/korean_msg90.jpg

One of those would look nice in her cute little paws :)

PMDW
August 6, 2004, 09:34 PM
AWB and import restrictions are 2 different things.

Yep. Most people don't know about all the stupid import laws.

Mylhouse
August 6, 2004, 10:41 PM
I love how people think because some piece of machinery is German, it must be better and will be willing to pay double or triple the price of a comparable American firearm. Last time I checked, the U.S. still ruled!

Not a jab at any posters, just an opinion.

stevelyn
August 7, 2004, 09:24 AM
Well......:scrutiny: from the number of rails, you'd never run out of room to hang stuff off it.:rolleyes:

Andrew Wyatt
August 7, 2004, 12:10 PM
the rails aren't so you can hang a lot of crap on the rifle, they're so you can hang the crap where you want it.

Kharn
August 7, 2004, 01:42 PM
*psst* The bipod is on backwards in the first pic. :)

Kharn

Skunkabilly
August 7, 2004, 03:54 PM
Last time I checked, the U.S. still ruled!

Check again, buy an M1A!

Das Pferd
August 7, 2004, 04:05 PM
*psst* The bipod is on backwards in the first pic

*psst* no its not. A lot of people mount the bipod that way so it folds forward, if you had to shoulder the rifle, your hand would be grabbing a bipod instead of forearm if it folded backwards.

http://www.imt.net/~mele/images/M40A31.jpg

http://www.marinescoutsniper.com/images/snipers/World%20Shooting%20Comp/sniperrifles.jpg

Atticus
August 7, 2004, 10:26 PM
Interesting...but I have to agree with the naysayers. Bushmaster makes a .308 now...that uses Fal mags (@ $10 buck a pop) for a suddenly more appealing $1500.

Little Loudmouth
August 7, 2004, 11:05 PM
That looks ugly and heavy and plastic and ultra-tactical and everything I don't usually like in a rifle, but I STILL WANT ONE!!!

Kharn
August 7, 2004, 11:17 PM
Das Pferd:
My mistake, I only glanced at the pic for a second and thought something was wrong. :o

Kharn

Das Pferd
August 7, 2004, 11:53 PM
My mistake, I only glanced at the pic for a second and thought something was wrong.

No worries.

Sam
August 9, 2004, 12:05 AM
Never ever buy a weapon made/designed in a country that has not won a war since before your great grandfather was born.

I remember when the Eifel Vista IPSC club used to give away HK hatpins to thos who had reps as "Hostage K illers". Best thing that was ever done with one.

Sam

Shadowman
August 9, 2004, 01:36 PM
That rules out Glocks and CZs

KRAUTGUNNER
August 9, 2004, 04:02 PM
And the SIG 210 and the various SIGSauer models. :evil:

Sam
August 9, 2004, 11:50 PM
Good of you to notice.

What /where is the magic in CZ/Glock/SIG that they should be excepted?

Sam

Andrew Wyatt
August 10, 2004, 12:43 AM
Woo hoo! go webley/enfield! ;)

Selfdfenz
August 10, 2004, 01:23 AM
Cool looking rifle.

Now, if the Germani can just go and invent themselves an army .....

S-

KRAUTGUNNER
August 10, 2004, 12:09 PM
@ Sam

What /where is the magic in CZ/Glock/SIG that they should be excepted?

What/where is the magic in Ruger/S&W/Colt pistols that those are superior in your opinion??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Ruger pistols (NOT their revolvers!!!) are crappy, S&W pistols (again NOT their revolvers!!!) are of average but not outstanding quality and Colt pistols (long ago) used to be quite good.

But those weapons are no match against the ultra-accurate SIG 210, the super-reliable CZ 75 or the SIGSauer P226 X-ZONE which oozes quality and workmanship.

No jab at any posters, just my 2 cents. ;) :neener:

Correia
August 10, 2004, 01:11 PM
Sam, the Belgians ain't exactly world reknowned for their butt kicking ability, but I would take an FN-FAL over pretty much anything else out there.

National ability at winning wars has about jack squat to do with the quality of one nation's firearms. To think so is to delude ourselves. Just because it is made in America, don't mean that it is any swoopier than something stamped on similar machinery by a guy named Fritz or Ivan.

As for the gun at hand, I have a real hard time paying that much money for something that I can either purchase something real close for half, or build myself for a third.

Wesz
August 10, 2004, 01:28 PM
Being in Canada where we get Oberland Arms stuff, I can say from what I have seen they are extremely high quality. They use all stainless steel lower receiver components on there rifles. I also enjoy there HK style pictogram lower receiver markings for safe, semi, and full.

Very nice guns indeed.

KRAUTGUNNER
August 10, 2004, 03:06 PM
Hooray to the guy/gal from Canada! :)

He/she is in the know!
:) :cool: http://www.gunboard.de/gunboard/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif http://www.wo-system.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.wo-system.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rainbow.gif

another48hrs
August 10, 2004, 03:29 PM
I just like the fact that it takes G3 mags.

Sam
August 10, 2004, 11:33 PM
The CZ/Glock/SIG are solutions to problems that only exist in the mind of people with too much time and too many lawyers on thier hands.
I believe the best commentary comes from Col. Cooper, "What is it for?"
Sort of like my Grandmothers floor model Transoceanic radio, OFF/ON Volume, Tuning and 172 spare knobs.

The SIG 210 is a nicely made weapon that is underpowered, overly expensive. It could not survive as a service pistol let alone a commercial venture.

Where did the FAL's basic design come from? From what is it derived and how did it get there?

No magic in any Ruger and or S&W Pistols, they are lawyer proof constructions and it shows.
No magic involved at all in Colt/S&W revolvers/Colt Pistols, thier sucess comes from getting it correct pretty much from the start. Thier basic designs have survived for the better part of 100 years with only cosmetic "improvements".

Countries that win wars have something besides thier gun design ability, they have social design ability. (for the record the U.S. lost that ability during the FDR administration.)
Can you give me the stock answer to an invasion of Belgium?

Sam

pauli
August 10, 2004, 11:42 PM
a large arrow pointing south?

azrael
August 11, 2004, 08:24 PM
<Where did the FAL's basic design come from? From what is it derived and how did it get there?>

IIRC, the Fal was designed by Saive'...The guy that finished the P35 design after the GOD of gun designers was called home..

Sam
August 11, 2004, 10:52 PM
Perhaps I should have made the question clearer.
Savie did in fact finish the P35m but from what did he derive the desigfor the SAFN and the FAL and by extension the GPMG/M240?

Sam

myopicmouse
August 12, 2004, 03:05 PM
Nahhh, AR clones are for pansies.

Correia
August 12, 2004, 03:23 PM
Sam, on the FAL idea, as a fan of John Browning, I would say that the dropping bolt, and the general shape of it came from the BAR. However the gas system of the SAFN and BAR are very different, plus the BAR bolt carrier moves in a different plane than the straight to the rear, unlock and drop of the SAFN. The machine work, and overall design have some similarities, but not that many.

As for the Belgians sucking at war, that was exactly my point. By your contention we should not bother with FN guns because their army sucks. But their guns are superb.

What is it for? Posed by Cooper. Interesting question, and I don't see how it applies to the CZ, Sig, or Glock. What they are for is totally obvious. They are service handguns. They work extreamly well. They are reliable. They are durable. One of them is even simpler than the American manufactured, Browning designed .45 currently residing on my hip as I type this.

Even Cooper was a fan of the CZ-75. You quote a man whose Scout Rifle comes off an assembly line manned by guys named Fritz and Deiter.

As for too many lawyers on their hands, I was not aware that the communists in the middle of the Cold War were so distracted by lawyers.

So what exactly is your point? American guns suck because of lawyers now, but they used to be good, and all foreign guns suck unless they have won wars recently?

So if I have a choice between my FAL and a British L85, I should take the L85 because the British have won all of the same wars we have in the last 50 years?

Your right, there isn't any magic. Guns are mechancial constructs. They are simple machines. Country of origin has about jack squat to do with how well they work.

Holy crap, I can't believe I'm defending an AR clone. I must go to the gunstore and purchase another AK in penance. :p

jrpeterman
August 12, 2004, 05:18 PM
Interesting, it looks to me like an AR lower, HK upper, and HK magazine. I guess that I was expecting something a little more original, but maybe it shoots like a dream.

Sam
August 12, 2004, 10:42 PM
I'l just get opinionated and end the discussion.

1. All foreign weapons are not bad and all US weapons are not good.
Countries that operate as truly free societies produce excellance in most thing that they do, whether it be it's products or thier conduct of other affairs.

I do not consider the the GPMG/M240 to necessarily be highly useful products, neither were the M60 or the M73. The SAFN and FAL are more useful.
The 1917 and 1919 Brownings, Maxim and Vickers are superior. Yes, I am very familiar with the MG43 and it's variants and do not care for them.
To fast, too light.

Cooper praised the CZ as a service pistol for 2 reasons, He liked the grip and felt that with a choice of operating mode troops would not be restricted to a DA/SA only mode of operation when the modes needed to be seperated. Only time will tell if the Glock ever becomes a really superior pistol. I do not have much hope for the non mode selective DA/SA pistols.

I believe that Cooper is enamored of the Steyr because Steyr would make it, not necessarily because it is superior. It is closer to his ideal than anything else on the market and that is it's strength. It does not appear to be surviving well on the market.

Belgians engineer weapons well but have seldom produced superior original designs. I greatly appreciate the many ways that the BAR has been belted, upended, pistol gripped and swap barreled by FN and still does't do the LMG/Autorifle as well as the original. They evolve them to fit the market. I will not concede that they are superb or any great improvement on thier predecessors.

Und ich muß bitten, was bilde dieses das "new deutsches Superrifle"?

I will stand by the war connection. weapons tested and proven that way stick around a long time, and have thier bugs worked out faster. It is a natural selection thing.

Sam

Oh by the way the Brits haven't won much of late either, (Falklands/Malvinas conflict is still undecided) hang onto the coattails hard enough and you can get dragged across the puddle without getting too wet.

KRAUTGUNNER
August 14, 2004, 03:06 AM
It could not survive as a service pistol let alone a commercial venture.

Sam the SIG 210 WAS the Swiss army pistol for many years (since 1949). It was also the standard pistol in the Danish armed forces. Last but not least it was used by the German Bundesgrenzschutz (federal border police) since 1951.

Dorian
August 14, 2004, 03:58 AM
One of those would look nice in her cute little paws

I think the one she has looks just fine :D

as does she :) I had that pic as my desktop background for quite a while

Sam
August 15, 2004, 09:00 AM
When it has been on active service for 70 years or so with less than 3 Mk's, let meknow.

Sam

Tamara
August 15, 2004, 09:34 AM
It's folks like the Bill Cosby quoter above that make me ashamed to like 1911's and Garands. :uhoh:

When it has been on active service for 70 years or so with less than 3 Mk's, let meknow.

I imagine some guy toting a Hand Ejector has said that to some 1911-packin' whippersnapper at sometime in the past. :uhoh:

Iain
August 15, 2004, 09:40 AM
Oh by the way the Brits haven't won much of late either, (Falklands/Malvinas conflict is still undecided)

I think we pretty much decided that one.

Sam
August 15, 2004, 09:54 AM
Cosby?
This from a lady that still totes a C96.

And I still like my Hand ejector!

Sam

If you enjoyed reading about "New German Superrifle!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!