Should I buy a Star Model S ??

PDA

tracer
August 6, 2004, 06:02 PM
I have found a 380 Starvel Model S NIB for $250.I have owned several Firestars and am aware of their shortcomings,yet always enjoyed them.This seems a little rich,but - hey,it's new!
Your replies appreciated.
Tracer

tracer2@charter.net

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I buy a Star Model S ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Majic
August 7, 2004, 04:55 AM
I had one back in the 80's. Sold it because a friend just had to have it. A great little pistol, fairly accurate, strong (locked breech not blowback), could use taller sights, but that price seems a little steep.

bfoster
August 7, 2004, 02:58 PM
I own a model S, and certainly wouldn't discourage you from acquiring one.

These pistols were made from 1935 through 1968. IIRC, there was, during the mid to late 1980's, a factory remanufacturing program which covered many Spanish Police trade in model S pistols. Many, but certainly not all, of the pistols that were involved in this work were not, IMO, fitted up as well as the original production pistols were. I suspect, but do not know that this pistol may have been reconditioned. Therefore I'd recommend that you examine each Star model S pistol you consider purchasing before you comlpete the transaction.

I too believe the $250 price is on the high side. It's not that the pistol isn't worth it, but these pistols are undervalued. If you're not in a hurry, and are looking for what is primarily a good shooting pistol, you might look further. You may well find one of these in very good condition within the $125-175 price range.

Bob

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I buy a Star Model S ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!