Shot my FIRST 1911!!!

PDA

Roc_Kor
August 6, 2004, 08:10 PM
And I... LOVED IT! :D

My father and I went to our local gunshop/indoor range (Shooter's Paradise) and rented a 1911. It was an STI and had the word "Trojan" written on the left side of the receiver. It felt really nice and I liked it alot. The recoil was not what I expected. I loved it so much!!! I now want a 1911 ten times more now!!!

The only problem was that the 1911 wouldn't cycle properly. After we were done, we told the guy behind the desk and he looked at the ammo box. "Atlantic," he said, "we shouldn't have given you Atlantic ammo with this STI." Good to know it was the ammo and not the gun!

And BTW, the 1911 I want is a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911 5" barrel. I'm looking forward to owning one! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot my FIRST 1911!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HATTON_007
August 6, 2004, 08:21 PM
R_K
Are you picking up the springfield for target or carry? Either way you will be happy. the range I belong to has one display, great value and lot of history with that model!

Brian Williams
August 6, 2004, 08:25 PM
Now go and read every thread by 1911tuner and Old Fuff and when you are done go read everything by Dave Sample.

Then you will have a good idea what you will want for a starter 1911...

Fun Guns but very serious.

Here is mine, a Sistema from 1953
http://www.gunpix.com/gallery/Handguns/Semi-Autos/sistemabox.jpg

Here is another nice one
http://www.gunpix.com/gallery/Handguns/Semi-Autos/series70l.jpg

Black Snowman
August 6, 2004, 10:31 PM
In a gun that big I wanted a bigger fireball than what the .45 ACP could provide so I got a used Delta Elite 10mm. The Delta Elites aren't legindary for good design or reliability but can be made so without too much drama or expense. I just finished upgrading mine. Here's a couple pics.

http://home.kc.rr.com/bsmith1952/img/Guns/DEliteProtectiveGearLScloseSmall.jpg

http://home.kc.rr.com/bsmith1952/img/Guns/DEliteProtectiveGearRScloseSmall.jpg

Did all the labor myself. My first "jewelling" atempt. OK, but I learned a lot. I also did some functional upgrades you won't see unless you strip the gun.

Ditto on reading up on those posters. Everything I know about 1911s I learned from them and Sean Smith (http://www.geocities.com/mr_motorhead/10tech.html)

Brian Williams
August 6, 2004, 10:49 PM
Oops I forgot Sean

SiG Lady
August 6, 2004, 10:57 PM
Well, as we say in some circles, "Welcome to the dark side."

The 1911, I found, was one of the most comfortable pistols I've ever touched (or 'fondled' as they say in some same circles).

Warner
August 7, 2004, 05:28 AM
"Dark side" indeed. Leave your c-card and check book at home during trips to the gunshop (for awhile at least).

Welcome, 1911 fan!

stealthmode
August 7, 2004, 05:44 AM
1911 mil spec great gun i like mine alot. i never shot a 45 until i bought one and took mine to the range, that and my 22 are all i shoot now.

skynyrd1911
August 7, 2004, 09:18 AM
Yep! Another one bites the dust! I too was never considering owning a 1911, until I shot a friends Springfield Ultra-Compact. Now I have a big one ( Kimber Series I ), a small one (Springfield Armory LW Ultra Compact 9MM) and I'm wanting a Springfield Champion really BAD. Welcome to the 1911 World. :)

Roc_Kor
August 7, 2004, 09:52 AM
I can't wait! Whoo!

Can someone answer this question for me?

What is the difference between the Mil-Spec and the GI .45 (WW2 Mil-spec)? I'm talking EVERY difference. Thanks! :) :D

GigaBuist
August 7, 2004, 10:36 AM
Haven't gotten around to buying myself a 1911 yet. So many guns, so little time (and money!).

When I was just getting started shooting a fellow out at the range let me try out his custom Kimber. I didnt' even know what a "1911" is -- but it looked very familiar. Sure enough, that thing goes in your hand like you always thought a pistol was supposed to when you were a kid. Just Feels Right.

What is the difference between the Mil-Spec and the GI .45 (WW2 Mil-spec)? I'm talking EVERY difference. Thanks!

I'm not qualified to answer this, but that's never stopped me before. :)

WW2 version has smaller sights and no beavertail IIRC. Internally I -think- they're reported to be the same on here.

But... you'll get an expert answer I'm sure.

Tuner in 5...4.....3....2....1...... :D

1911 TERRY
August 7, 2004, 12:41 PM
Roc-Kor
The Springfield WWII GI, is Springfields attempt of an original GI 1911A1 recreation. Pretty good one too.:) The differences between the GI and Mil Spec at first glance are very sutle and require a little research and maybe some time at your local gun shop observing the differences. I'm no expert but these are my observations.

THE MIL-SPEC
1) No lanyard loop(or ring)
2) Slanted rear slide serration vs straight on GI
3) Larger sights, 3 dot
4) Lowered and flaired ejection port
5) Springfield crossed cannon logo on slide
6) Magwell slightly flaired (easier to insert mag)
7) One piece, bright (stainless steel I believe) barrel
8) Plastic checkerd grips vs wood checkered with U.S. logo on GI

I have one of the GI .45 models, bought it mostly for a keepsake type .45. Would be a good starting point gun to modify and I've been tempted, but I'll keep mine stock. Price for the GI in my part of the country is $399.00, the Mil-Spec is about $100.00 more.
The differences I listed above are the most obvious to my eye, there may be more. Don't know about the internal parts but I don't suspect any difference. There is lots of MIM parts in the gun, but the experts like TUNER would have to tell you. check his posts.

GOOD LUCK, GOOD SHOOTING, gun are a great hobby, but " ALWAYS BE SAFE".

Roc_Kor
August 7, 2004, 01:01 PM
How can I tell the difference between a Mil-Spec and a regular Springfield 1911? That's the main problem I'll have looking around for one.

Roc_Kor
August 7, 2004, 06:30 PM
Nevermind. I figured it out. All you need to do is look at the rear sight.

Does anyone here have a 'Llama' 1911? My Dad and I saw one real cheap at a gun shop. It had a 5" barrel and a 3 dot sight system. It seemed ok. Anyone know about these?

Roc_Kor
August 8, 2004, 09:06 AM
*BUMP'D*

Ardent
August 9, 2004, 02:29 AM
I'd steer clear of Llama's, though I have heard people who are happy with them however. Personally if I were going bare bones entry level on a 1911 I'd spring for a Norinco. Norinco uses a high quality steel so I hear. Never owned one mind you, but have heard good things. For the price, can't go wrong. Mind you, you won't be dissapointed by Kimber for sure, love mine.

Ardent

Roc_Kor
August 9, 2004, 09:14 AM
Ok thanks! I'll look up the Norinco and learn more about it.

WhoKnowsWho
August 9, 2004, 09:27 AM
I'll look up the Norinco

Good luck, they are not newly imported, and the few I have seen for sale were way overpriced (or if you really want one, right on the price since I don't see them often)

Lots of good 1911 pattern guns out there, and lots of mediocre ones. But all can be made to work pretty well it seems.

Roc_Kor
August 9, 2004, 10:26 AM
Would a $600 Springfield Mil-Spec be better than a $300 Llama or a Norinco? I'm talking in terms of:

1. for first 1911
2. quality
3. reliability
4. And I'd guess it would be my first handgun as well.

McNutt
August 9, 2004, 10:48 AM
You don't need to spend $600 on a SA Mil-Spec. You can get them much cheaper than that. They make a great starting point for 1911s.

Roc_Kor
August 9, 2004, 11:42 AM
Where can I find one cheaper? Mind you, I'm not talking about the GI .45

I've only seen one Mil-Spec and it was $620, which is SA's MSRP.

McNutt
August 9, 2004, 12:00 PM
www.sportingarms.com

They sell Mil-Specs for $479 and GI Mil-Specs for $389.

ryoushi
August 9, 2004, 12:08 PM
Where can I find one cheaper? Mind you, I'm not talking about the GI .45

I picked my second Milspec up in July for $499. Just check the gunshops, everydody sells for less than the listed price. While you're snooping around the stores and gunshows, look for a Milspec with a Stainless Steel Barrell and Bushing and an NM serial number.

Both both pistols have been great right out of the box. The only thing I don't like are the stock plastic grips but everybody seems to experiment with different grips, no matter what 1911 they get.

gmshtr
August 9, 2004, 01:18 PM
Hi Roc Kor

After I heard of your problem with the STI Trojan 45, I went out and shot a box of Atlanta Arms out of if it. I didn't have any problems. 1911's can be sensitive to some sorts of carry ammo, but they're especially grip sensitive. The proper grip can make all of the difference when shooting one of these types of pistols.

If I'm at the store, just grab me, and I'll try to help you out.

Phil Strader
Owner/CEO
Shooters Paradise

Greg Bell
August 9, 2004, 02:06 PM
Good to know it was the ammo and not the gun!
\\

Umm hmm.:rolleyes:

Roc_Kor
August 9, 2004, 02:36 PM
Hi Phil!!! Love your store! But seriously, the box of Atlantic ammo (I THINK that's the name) was, I believe, reloaded rounds. It wasn't that bad though, maybe it was the magazine. Maybe it just didn't like me. ;)

And Phil, if you were to get a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911 in your store, how much would it cost? You had a 4" bbl GI .45, but that's not quite what I'm looking for.

*looks at Sporting Arms.com* ... :what: DOOD OMG ***!!!
Bi-tone Mil-Spec $489.00
Parkerized Mil-Spec $479.00
Stainless Steel $519.00

:D:D:D

BTW, I would like a Parkerized one. MAYBE a Bi-tone. But I don't think I want Stainless Steel one.

McNutt
August 9, 2004, 03:02 PM
I bought a gun from Sporting Arms and will probably be buying a micro compact GI Mil-Spec from them early next yeaer.

Roc_Kor
August 9, 2004, 04:00 PM
Dang, now I can't tell which color I want.

Which one should I get? So many choices. :confused:
Parkerized (http://springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PB9108LLarge.jpg)
Bi-Tone (http://springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PB9104LLarge.jpg)
Stainless (http://springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PB9151LLarge.jpg)

(The choices are links to pictures)

WhoKnowsWho
August 9, 2004, 08:22 PM
I actually like how the Bi-tone one looks.

CZ52GUY
August 9, 2004, 08:31 PM
I shot my first 1911 this past winter...bought a Mil-Spec in March.

There really is something special about the 1911 platform.

Good luck,

CZ52'

Roc_Kor
August 9, 2004, 09:18 PM
All the colors look so pretty. It's so hard to choose. Any more suggestions? Can anyone post pics of their Mil-Specs??? Don't post the ones from the Springfield site, I wanna see some different angles.

Girlwithagun
August 10, 2004, 01:38 PM
Here is ANApex's and mine. His is the first one and as you can see, he has made some changes (notice the lack of curve on the front and back of the grip). He likes that change but I find it uncomfortable and I feel the recoil on it just a tad more. Really a matter of what you like.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/mcfarlandx4/DSC07252004019.jpg

Roc_Kor
August 10, 2004, 02:10 PM
Ok! Does anyone have any pictures of Stainless Steel Mil-Specs??? The stock picture at SA's website isn't very good. It looks like it's painted white.

ryoushi
August 10, 2004, 03:49 PM
Just but one of each they're dirt cheap.

Roc_Kor
August 10, 2004, 05:22 PM
You're asking a 15 year-old with only $250 and a father who would barely want one, to buy TWO guns? If I could buy two I wouldn't be asking which is best. :banghead:

ryoushi
August 10, 2004, 06:42 PM
I admire your honesty and had a sneaking hunch this was your situation. The fact is you can't legally own a handgun for another three years and, by that time SA might not even offer the options you're asking about. You and your dad need to go out and look at real guns not pictures on the computer, it's fun. Pick them up, rack the slide, squeeze the trigger and buy what best fits your taste and budget. Alot of us are having to watch every $ nowadays, nothing wrong with that. You can get a SA GI for $100 less than a Milspec and it's a fine .45 in it's own right.

The fun thing is once you two get the pistol you can blow all kinds of dough on grips and other aftermarket parts. You can order them right off the computer and you don't have to be 18.

Good luck

Roc_Kor
August 10, 2004, 06:47 PM
Well, we've already shot a 1911 and we loved it. We've gone to the shops and held many Springfield's. We want a Mil-Spec because the sights are better than the GI .45 sights. And you have to be 21 to own a handgun, genius. ;)

mattf7184
August 10, 2004, 08:42 PM
Depends what state you are in...FL is 18 to own one.

Roc_Kor
August 10, 2004, 10:36 PM
Really?

I didn't know that. But I'm pretty sure it's 21 here in VA. Pretty sure.:confused:

Roc_Kor
August 10, 2004, 11:06 PM
I'VE DECIDED!!!

I'm going to get a Stainless Steel one. PLUS I'm going to custom order black checkered grips from AlumaGrips.com, "Roc" being one on grip, "Kor" being on the other!!! THAT'S SO AWESOME!!! :neener: :D :evil: :p

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot my FIRST 1911!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!