Rock the Vote?

PDA

MeekandMild
August 6, 2004, 11:28 PM
Considering that this is a DNC front organization I am agin' it. So where is the NRA with its own version of Rock the Vote (http://www.rockthevote.com/index.php) ?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock the Vote?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AZRickD
August 7, 2004, 01:10 AM
Rock the Vote is part of the MTV/Hollywood, liberal media franchise. The don't want to "rock the vote," they want to rock the liberal vote.

NRA has some sort of relationship with NASCAR where I think they do voter registration. NASCAR is HUGE and caters to people who, I'd wager, are far more likely to actually vote.

Point taken, however.

Rick

2nd Amendment
August 7, 2004, 01:19 AM
The Dixie Chix and John Cougar, among others. Oh my. Do the Chix still have a career? And Mellencamp...I know Johnny. If the boy couldn't sing he'd be mopping floors at IU. Worked a few of his shows in Bloomington in years past. I've partied at his home(I think he still has the same place). Wife's cousin had the house closest to him(may still). The boy is...ummm...less than bright... As in, I have had more interesting and consistent coversations with 6 year olds... :rolleyes:

SAG0282
August 7, 2004, 04:05 AM
Keep it on topic and on The High Road.

-Justin

:rolleyes:

MarkDido
August 7, 2004, 07:42 AM
Keep it on topic and on The High Road.

-Justin

:rolleyes:

firearms_instructor
August 8, 2004, 12:25 AM
I recently worked the Madonna concert here, and on both nights Rock The Vote had a table out front staffed by cute young things. I was wondering if they were a DNC front. I actually asked the senior girl, and she assured me it was non-partisan, but as I was working, and I don't mix work with politics, I refrained from asking her how many of her babes were Republican or Libertarian.

David Scott
August 8, 2004, 08:18 AM
In fairness, I will repeat what a Rock The Vote volunteer told me. According to him, a big part of the motivation is that many young people don't vote at all, because they figure there's no point. Whoever wins, the country will still be run by rich white protestant men controlled by special interests. They see no difference between the parties. He felt that this was "giving the game away", and that things would never change so long as his generation refused to play.

MeekandMild
August 8, 2004, 04:29 PM
That's an interesting slant. My kids and the kids they hang around with are mostly voters. Lots of Eagle Scouts and kids who are in pre-med, pre-law, business (learning food service the hard way from the bottom up), various sciences. Lots of shooters too. But for some reason they don't seem to have the spare money or time to hang around very many concerts.

I suppose that one day they will all be rich guys (and girls) but they aren't today and they still are interested in the political process and are interested in 'changing things' in the opposite direction that RTV seems to want. I noticed that the RTV site is curiously lacking in any discussion of issues, taking the stance of monkey see - monkey do I suppose?

Andrew Rothman
August 8, 2004, 04:56 PM
Rock the Vote is non-partisan. They aim to get young people to register to vote. Period.

If you think you know anything different, please show some evidence.

StopTheGrays
August 9, 2004, 10:58 AM
Except for Jessica Simpson, I do not know of one "star" listed on their website who supports Bush. I am not sure about her either.

2nd Amendment
August 9, 2004, 11:47 AM
If you think you know anything different, please show some evidence.

Every single "star" involved and every single comment they have made. Any group can call itself "non-partisan" but the proof is in its actions. Rock's actions are 100% left. Not merely Democrat but Leftist. So far I have yet to see an exception. While such an exception may exist it will remain just that, an exception, not proof of non-partisanship.

DonP
August 9, 2004, 12:18 PM
Technically "Rock the Vote" is a non partisan effort by the MTV people to increase voter turn out among younger voters. If it was a partisan effort they would be required to provide equal time.

If it's any comfort to all, the RTV has been a dismal failure in terms of actual registrations and voting. They did a tracking study (which they did not release to the public but was available to advertisers) of people they got to register and found they had a worse voting percentage than people in the same age brackets that registered on their own.

The reality is that most, if not all, of the celebrity spokespeople for RTV are pretty far left, as you might expect. So the tone of most of their events is decidedly left wing (according to my niece that went to one in the NYC area) and there is usually a lot of relatively uninformed Bush bashing from the stage.

The new concert tour by Springsteen and his group is another and totally separate thing altogether. That is sponsored and funded by Moveon.org and George Soros and is a total fund raiser - brainwashing tour that makes no attempt to present both sides.

Bottom line IMNSHO, you'll probably get more actual votes out of a single retirement community in Mission, Texas than the entire Rock the Vote program.

AZRickD
August 9, 2004, 09:56 PM
Technically "Rock the Vote" is a non partisan effortThat is not to say that it is void of a leftist political agenda. And that's the real issue, isn't it?

Rick

mountainclmbr
August 9, 2004, 10:04 PM
Rock the vote is nonpartisan just like the effort to enable felons to vote is nonpartisan.

firearms_instructor
August 9, 2004, 11:20 PM
My cynical thought regarding RTV is, if the kids are too apathetic to vote, what use is their vote anyway? They either don't know or don't care about the issues, or they figure that both parties stink, so why bother?

Yes, I'm sure Rock The Vote is as morally useful as encouraging felons and illegal aliens to vote.

FWIW, the Texas Constitution specifically forbids state welfare recipients from voting, but I'm not sure if this is enforced or not.

MeekandMild
August 10, 2004, 01:39 PM
Technically "Rock the Vote" is a non partisan effort by the MTV people MTV is one of the most anti RKBA organizations in the world. If it was left to them they'd even ban BB guns.

Ransom
August 10, 2004, 02:18 PM
While MTV and some or most of the celebrities involved might be anti I dont think the Rock the Vote campaign pushes any political agendas. They actually are fairly non-partisan and encourage people to read up and be informed before they vote.

Poodleshooter
August 10, 2004, 04:25 PM
I'm more in favor of less people voting. In fact, if everyone stayed home but me, I'd be pretty happy.
There are too many people whose opinions I don't share.
If that same concept hasn't occurred to you, remember that even the NRA's huge membership is only a tiny fraction of this country's potential voter base. If everyone votes, you'll see what the founders feared about democratic election: mob rule.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock the Vote?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!