RG Revolvers?

PDA

Tom Servo
August 7, 2004, 01:31 PM
Hi all. My boss just moved into a new house, and the question of home-defense came up. He said, "Oh, yeah, I've got a gun. It's a revolver of some sort. I should probably get some ammo for it, though." I asked what kind, and he wasn't sure, so I asked to see it.

It's a .22 revolver from some company called RG. Yep. For home defense. I've got alot to teach him. Thing is, it felt flimsy and didn't point for crap, so I took it with me on a range trip. Loaded up the cylinder with six rounds, all of which failed to fire. Ran through the whole cylinder a second time, and on the 11th trigger-pull, it finally fired. Talk about a safe gun :cuss:

He's not the most gun-literate, to say the least. I told him I'll be buying it away from him, just to be sure he's never tempted to use it in self-defense. I checked on Gunbroker, and they've got NEW ones out the door for ~$20US. Sounds about right.

Just curious, can anyone point me to information about these, such as where they come from or what their history is? These things make Jennings and Lorcins look like Sigs in comparison :barf:

If you enjoyed reading about "RG Revolvers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
August 7, 2004, 01:56 PM
R.G. Industries was an importer who imported cheap revolvers made by Rohm Gmbh of Sontheim/Brenz Germany.
They went out of business in 1986.

As you discerned, the RG guns were "bottom-of-the-line" cheap handguns.

These were both double action and single action revolvers in calibers ranging from .22lr to .357 and .44 Magnum.
They also sold a .25 Cal auto.

About the best that can be said about them is, they were better than no gun at all (most of the time).

MrMurphy
August 7, 2004, 04:20 PM
What he said. Friend of mine with a 1911, and various other hardware, SKS etc has one he inherited and brought it along just out of curiousity on the last range trip. Between four of us there were 89 triggerpulls to get off 50 shots. Not what you'd call reliable. Surprisingly it did hit the target where aimed from 10 yards with all shots. Ignition was the problem.

Nick96
August 7, 2004, 10:40 PM
If I recall correctly, that's the brand of gun and caliber that was used by the would be assassin of President Regan in 1983. Seriously injured the President, instantly took out a Secret Service Agent (fortunatally not fatal) and caused permanent debilitating physical injuries to then Secretaty Brady (i.e. "The Brady Bill").

Crap gun - YES. Completely useless gun - NO. A $50 gun in the hands of a crazy nearly killed a President and precipitated some of the most restrictive gun laws in the history of this country - that are still in effect more than 20 years after the event.

Wasn't it an RG that killed Robert F. Kennedy too? If it wasn't an RG - it was another small caliber, cheap handgun.

SDC
August 7, 2004, 11:00 PM
After the GCA of 1968 made the German-made "RG"s unimportable, a company was set up in Florida "RG Industries" to manufacture the exact same designs on US soil; your particular revolver should be marked as to whether it's a German or American example.

EghtySx
August 7, 2004, 11:11 PM
Actually they came in .22 short too. I have one that used to belong to my great grandmother. Rohm RG 10. It shoots every time I pull the incredibly nasty action trigger. Accuracy is terrible though, sometimes not even hitting the paper.

joab
August 7, 2004, 11:22 PM
I checked on Gunbroker, and they've got NEW ones out the door for ~$20US. Sounds about right. Way Way too much. You can't even melt these things down to make fishing weights

I bought one many years ago because I did not have much money and figured it was better than nothing.
My wife and I went out to shoot it at the dump (tells you how long ago it was)
While standing to her left and behind her about 7 ft I kept geeting hit by something that I thought was one of our sandstorms. When I shot it for some reason, I had my left hand out away from my body a little more than shoulder width apart lead shavings hit so hard that one actually penetrated the web of my hand.
I took it to Pragers (again dateing the incident to all Central Floridians) the gunsmith refused my offer to take it for free so I told him to smack it with a hammer. He did, it broke into 3 pieces with on solid hit.

If you look up slag in a firearm dictionary you will find a pic of an RG

DDGator
August 8, 2004, 01:06 AM
My dad had an RG .22 revolver for years. He then put it to its "highest and best use" -- he turned it in at a gun buy-back for a $40 gift certificate to a supermarket!

Dallas Jack
August 8, 2004, 02:57 AM
I bought a .38 speacial RG back in 1975 for $25. It was a very low quality gun but I never had any problems with misfires. Accuracy was so-so. Don't remember what happened to that gun but I don't miss it.:D
gmonroe

foghornl
August 10, 2004, 11:33 AM
Have a Rohm Industries/RG-38 in .38 "Spezial" {actually saw it printed that way many years ago on a N.I.B. model}

Not a particularly high-value revo, but it goes bang! eveytime I mash the trigger. Accuray is OK, but I'm not sure how good it is, because I'm not all that great with the "rodent-size weapons".

Would I use the RG-38 as a home/personal defense weapon? Yes, but only as a last act of defiance weapon. My 1911-A1 is the first handgun up for that purpose.

magsnubby
August 10, 2004, 06:10 PM
RG=Rotten Gun

mfree
August 11, 2004, 12:22 PM
On a side note, My brother brought in a bunch of his future father-in-law's guns from storage for cleaning, and one was an RG-22 ... very close to a ruger single six. It looked quality, actually, a little better detailed than his Heritage .22. The trigger was fantastic, actually a little light for my tastes.

From his range report, it was more accurate than he was, and didn't spit lead at all. I think it was lucky...

...from everything i read, RGs have house odds of 85% or so, it's a *bad* crap shoot.

cheapshot
August 11, 2004, 12:47 PM
The name "RG" reminds me of a real disappointment I had a few years ago that turned out OK. My uncle had died and my mother had the chore of handling his affairs. Upon returning from his house she gave me a call and said she had brought back some guns he had that my cousins didn't want. Of course my first question way what are they? Her responce was a pistol and a shotgun. I am on the edge of my seat asking what kind exactly? After she had them "in hand" she was able to tell me, "The pistol says, RG 22 LR", I was deflated!, then delightfully surprised when she said "and the shotgun says Winchester Model 12, 20 Ga" all of a sudden I found a smile replace my frown. I bought a RG 14 D.A. snubby 22 L.R. back in 1981 for $25.00 brand new! The guy at the gun shop said "well it would make a good tackle box gun, but I'd be more worried about the tackle". :)

Correia
August 11, 2004, 04:21 PM
One of my CCW students brought one to a class a little while ago. It was a 22 LR version that required you to unscrew a little rod from under the barrel and manually poke the fired cases out. However there were no fired cases since the 47 pound trigger pull failed to ignite any of the bullets.

I lent her my Browning and she finished the shooting portion just fine. Now she is shopping for a better gun. :)

WonderNine
August 11, 2004, 06:15 PM
At the last gun show a guy had a whole table full of them for $15 a piece. Or was it $5? :scrutiny:

Ala Dan
August 11, 2004, 09:57 PM
Greeting's Again To All-

Yep, first handgun I ever owned was a 8-shot .22 LR caliber
revolver made by Rohm (RG) of Germany. That thing had at
least a 2-3/8" barrel, and I could not hit the broad side of a
darn barn with it! You guessed it, it came from K-Mart for a
grand total of $42.50 OTD. It didn't take long to pawn it off
on my father in-law; as he always seemed to have a knack
for junk (el cheapo) type handguns. You know Clerks, RG's,
Lorcins, Ravens, etc.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Jim K
August 13, 2004, 07:56 PM
The RG guns were the original "Saturday Night Special". At one time the RG-10 sold for $9.95 retail, and some places a buck cheaper, so you can guess how much they cost to make. On the plus side, quite a few cops and innocent people were saved because the bad guy's junk gun didn't fire. Fortunately, federal and state laws have eliminated the junk so that more cops are killed, which may have been one goal of the anti-gun movement.

In those days of mail order sales, a lot were bought by less than noble members of our society and the budding anti-gun movement went berserk. GCA 68 was one result, with its "point system" on imports and a ban on mail order gun sales.

Some of the anti-gun "scare" literature still rants about "cheap guns for sale at $9", when they are not raving about anti-aircraft missiles and H-Bombs being sold by the thousands at gun shows.

Jim

manwithoutahome
August 13, 2004, 08:30 PM
I have the "top of the line" RG. Mine is a Burgo .22lr and made in Germany. I've not had any failures to fire. I shoot it (only one cylinder for the entire trip) for S&G's only.

Turns funny colors when you fire it :D.

Wayne

Ala Dan
August 13, 2004, 10:09 PM
Greeting's All-

I think the manwithoutahome might have just nailed it, as I
think that old cheap .22 LR revolver was called a "Burgo" model.
That thing came with brown plastic grips, and was heavy as all
get out!

I will definitely have to look it up when I visit my father in-law
this coming Thanksgiving.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Ruger Redhawk
August 14, 2004, 11:36 PM
The RG's were by far one of the cheapest pieces of junk ever made.When I lived in South Florida I had passed the RG (Rohm) factory many times.I worked at a gun shop part time. We wouldn't even let one in the store.South Florida has turned out many cheaply made guns. FIE, Universal, now Hertiage arms is located down there.Taurus International is also located there which is somewhat of an improvement over what's been coming out of that area. RG's wouldn't even make a good manhole cover much less a boat anchor.

Ruger Redhawk

Christoefor
August 15, 2004, 03:24 AM
Oh yes they are uber bad. I had a RG single action in .22 lr and .22 magnum many years back. Never had any misfires but one day the back of the frame disappeared. Snapped the barrel out with out much force. Put it in the trash can were it belonged!

Lamech
August 16, 2004, 11:33 AM
My friend had a Rohm RG24 up until yesterday. Unluckily, he doesn't research any of his purchases and paid $100 for a used one at a gun show. It fires about 2 out of 5 shots....so we had to destroy it.

RG24 Mounted in 25 pound block of clay (http://complabs.nevada.edu/~russells/boom1.jpg)

Someone nailed it with a 38 (http://complabs.nevada.edu/~russells/boom2.jpg)

TerryBob
August 16, 2004, 01:18 PM
Someone correct me if I am mistaken but wasn't the Son of Sam killer, David Berkawitz (spell) using a RG .44 Mag? I think that he was.

TerryBob

pinched_L0af
August 16, 2004, 01:31 PM
no a charter arms in 44 special.

Hutch
August 16, 2004, 07:57 PM
Among the worst that were ever whelped. Apologies to the Paki and Spanish S&W knock-offs, but the RG was the absolute bottom of the food chain. Better to have a picture of a gun. BTW, ask me what my very firstest ever handgun was.:D

GrOuNd_ZeRo
January 13, 2007, 10:31 PM
I have the RG-10, I got it handed to me for free, it's a fun little gun to shoot .22CB's through! with reasonable accuracy actually.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/5333/p1010155fc5.th.jpg (http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010155fc5.jpg)

This was about 5 yards, I prefer not to shoot any Remington Hight Velocity .22shorts out of it if possible since it spits alot of crap at me including gas and lead, when I fire it at night you can see a flash where the cylinder is!

It fires a 100% in single action with CB's, less with .22shorts, it fires about 90% of the time in single action.

Double action is truly poor on this gun and I ignore it even has a double action trigger on it, I fire it like an old cowbow six shooter, it shoots maybe 50% of the time in double action with .22shorts, .22CB's seem to be cut loose a bit more easilly.

If anyone wants to get rid of their RG's just send them my way! I love to tinker with SNS's like that, I actually think my RG-10 is kinda cute! and it's not too bad for a .22CB gun for the basement :D

Oh forgot to add! it shoots a little high!

jad0110
January 14, 2007, 01:40 AM
South Florida has turned out many cheaply made guns. FIE, Universal, now Hertiage arms is located down there.

All are cheap, however I've yet to hear a bad thing about the Heritage Rough Rider series. Many on THR own them and are very happy with them, and I used to own one myself ... which I stuipidly sold :banghead: . It was crudely finished, but it proved to be as accurate and reliable as a friend's Single Six. I really enjoyed that Heritage, I paid $150 with tax NIB and it came with a holster, and a cylinder for 22LR and one for 22Mag. Lots of fun, and I do miss it.

BTW, RG also stands for Really Gawdawful!!!

No Praise, No Blame
January 15, 2007, 02:21 AM
John Hinckley used an RG-14 in his attempt on the life of President Reagan in 1981.

crazyhorse
January 15, 2007, 08:50 AM
I found the RG to be excellent, when used as intended. :evil:
Yep, worked just fine..........

Held the worm down deep, and the line nice and tight.
best catfish weight I ever found that cheap.......LOLOLOL :D

jad0110
January 15, 2007, 09:49 AM
I found the RG to be excellent, when used as intended.

Hey, the RG is probably the best SD tool around for the anti ... as it won't shoot, but if you throw it at a bad guy, it will probably come apart when it hits him and he'll have nothing to throw back :neener: :D !

jrfoxx
January 15, 2007, 10:08 AM
I have an RG revolver in .22lr.Fit and finish are terrible, accuracy is fair to poor, and I have to give the ejector rod a pretty hard whack to get the spent brass out (which starts to get fairly painful before real long) but it does go bang every time, and the price was right (free).The wife isnt very much into shooting, and hates loud noise and recoil, so its a good gun for her (other than the ejecting problem, which causes her to not want to shoot it for very long.We will be rectifying this fairly soon by getting her her own inexpensixe 9mm or .22 in the future).But free is honestly the only price I'd ever pay for one.

Kimber1911_06238
January 15, 2007, 10:20 AM
If you get one for free maybe u can get something for it at a gun buyback program.

mec
January 15, 2007, 10:50 AM
sometimes they work and its always nice to be amazed. A friend had one that would shoot thumbnail sized groups at 15 feet. The RGS resemble the old blank revolvers and the "Rosco Vest Pocket Model" 22 rimfire revolver that they sold through mail order houses in the early 60s. I bet those were made by Rohm Geiselshaf too.

saltydog452
January 15, 2007, 11:09 AM
Zero, I have one also and, like you, I kinda liked it. Nothing I'd wanna bet the farm on now, but for a 15 year old kid, it was a fun back yard plinker.

Going through my Mom's stuff several months ago, I found the little RG along with a couple of old bayonets that I had completely forgotten about.

salty.

OLD DOMENION
January 15, 2007, 12:01 PM
My gunsmith says RG stands for
"REAL GUN"
R.G. Industries was an importer who imported cheap revolvers made by Rohm Gmbh of Sontheim/Brenz Germany.

Their guns were hazardous to the shooters health.

Steve C
January 15, 2007, 05:38 PM
I would see guys buy RG’s at auction for $100 or more. They thought RG stood for RuGer.

Was in a gun store years ago I frequent and the owner was laughing about a guy that came in and asked if he’d be interested in buying 12 new in the box Ruger .357 mags that he’d just bought at auction. The owner said he’d be interested if the price was right but when the guy brought them in they where RG’s. When the shop owner told him his price was $35 each from his distributor the guy told him he’d paid $65 each at the auction.

MCgunner
January 15, 2007, 05:58 PM
Mine was an adequate noise maker....bang...click, click, bang....click, bang, click click...:rolleyes: Couldn't hit squat with that POS, either. Junk, not even worth keeping as a paper weight. I eventually just tossed it.

ATAShooter
January 15, 2007, 07:59 PM
Somebody help me out here... for some reason I'm thinking Sir Han Sir Han shot Bobby Kennedy with a RG .22. Am I remembering correctly????

GrOuNd_ZeRo
January 16, 2007, 08:46 AM
It's not a kimber but it's still a cheap shooter.

I have a home defense gun that suits the SD job better but the RG-10 is fun to mess with, I will keep it for my self because I'd rather not risk having it not work when it has to and work when it doesn't have to on someone else.

loandr.
January 16, 2007, 09:13 AM
Heres my lil cutie, worthless yet addictive, go figure:o

LD

LubeckTech
January 16, 2007, 09:29 AM
It was John Hinkley that used one to shoot Ronald Regan and Brady. In his later years Regan wrote Hinkley a long letter forgiving him for the shooting and wishing him well. Regan ended the letter saying "P.S. Did you know Bill Clinton is haning an affair with Jody Foster?"

ATAShooter
January 16, 2007, 01:20 PM
My bad, after some research, it was an Iver Johnson Sirhan used. Sorry.

MWenzel
February 17, 2007, 07:23 PM
I have a RG Model 23 .22 LR. that my was my dads. Someone had given it to him. Although it is cheap, it fires very consitantly. I must say it could not hit the broadside of a barn even if you are standing inside the barn with the doors closed. The gun fired every time. It is fun to shoot.

Chindo18Z
February 17, 2007, 07:53 PM
I once saw a shooting where a man emptied a 2" .38 Special RG revolver and hit 5 people with 6 shots. Every round fired without a problem. All the victims fell down. One DRT, two critical (IIRC, one of these later died), two serious. 200 grn LRN.

Crap gun, but still deadly.

MWenzel
February 17, 2007, 07:53 PM
John Hinckley Jr. did use a Rohm RG-14 revolver in his attempt to assasinate Ronald Reagan as said earlier. Hinckley fired six shots and none of them hit Reagan directly. One of the bullets ricocheted and hit Reagan in his left lung. That right there shows how inaccurate this gun is.

whozzit
August 31, 2007, 01:10 AM
Been shooting an RG-38S off and on since 1966 when it was given to me in Miami, FL. Finally cracked the original plastic grips and just replaced them with rubber target grips (black). Wonder of wonders, it's fired off every box of .38 special ammo that I've ever run through it.

sm
August 31, 2007, 04:38 AM
RG 38 spl snub nose was part of an Estate I bought.

Sometimes it spit lead down the barrel, most times it spit out from everywhere else but down the barrel.

Fixed it. 110% reliable.

Oh it don't shoot bullets, in fact the charge holes are such you cannot load it. Filled the barrel with silicone too...
De-horned, painted baby blue and used for a Lesson's Gun.
I think y'all call them training guns.
Great for CCW classes and range duty, disarm drills and what not.

Last "modification" was drilling a hole through the cylinder, so a cable gun lock would go through, and secure over top of frame.
Yellow cable locks look good on baby blue...

Lesson Gun started doing RKBA stuff as well...

"I guess this is what Gun Control wants, this is worse than a woman with a too tight girdle needing to go pee in a hurry".

gvass
August 31, 2007, 06:59 AM
Hi,
some additional information abot the Röhm company. The Sontheim/Germany based company is the largest industrial chucking tool (spannzeug in German) manufacturer of the world. www.roehm.biz

The company employs some 1600 people.

http://www.roehm.biz/uploads/RTEmagicC_luftaufn_sontheim_01.jpg.jpg

The gun manufacturing (www.roehm-rg.de) is actually just a little part of the picture.

Today they do not manufacture real firearms at all, but really excellent quality non-lethal weapons, gas-alarm guns and rubber bullet guns (for the European and Russian market).

http://www.roehm-rg.de/uploads/RTEmagicC_Poster_01.jpg.jpg

Some years ago they introduced the Twinmaster airguns, which are semi-professional grade highly accurate and modular guns (these are also sold in the US).

http://www.roehm-rg.de/typo3temp/pics/91f57b5934.jpg

So, Röhm isn't a junk gun maker any more...

Moonclip
September 1, 2007, 03:02 AM
Yes, the Kennedy revolver is an Iver Johnson cadet. A local shop actually sold him the gun! Stay away from RG! I have heard they made/make high quality tools! Didnt they make a derringer too?

22-rimfire
September 1, 2007, 07:45 AM
Stuff made in Japan used to be considered junk. Now the products are often considered the best available. Röhm... what goes around comes around.

I bought a HR999 22 when I was 21. Many like them. I do not buy cheap handguns any more no matter what the brand name. RG's are junk. I would be ashamed to own one. If I did, I'd probably drop it in the outgoing garbage and be done with it. I won't intentionally sell someone a piece of junk.

gvass
September 3, 2007, 08:54 AM
"I have heard they made/make high quality tools! Didnt they make a derringer too?"

Yes, Rohm manufactures a Derringer, but this time only in 9 mm K tear gas/blank caliber.

This is sold under the name: Noris Twinny
(In the past it was also made in .38 Spec, .22 LR, .22 WMR, 4 mm RZ Lang, 9 mm Fb. Gr.)

http://www.roehm-rg.de/fileadmin/user_upload/rg/twinny_vv.jpg

KrankyKraut
September 3, 2007, 10:13 AM
My first gun was a RG in .38 special. It had a 4'' barrel and from far away looked to my eyes like a Colt Python. I thought the price was right at $80, so I bought it. Of course it was a POS, having been saddled with all the problems people have enumerated here. It now rests in hell. :)

Steve 48
September 4, 2007, 04:25 PM
RG= POS Steve48

Kurt S.
September 4, 2007, 04:31 PM
One of my first handguns was an RG in .22 caliber, don't recall the model. I believe it was about $50.00 NIB (ca. 1971). It fired every time I pulled the trigger except the last time, when pieces of some spring came flying out of it from somewhere. It was accurate up to about 4 or 5 yards, I once managed to put 5 holes in the bottom of a friend's aluminum jon boat and one in the the head of a big cottonmouth that had dropped into the boat.

I kept the broken gun for about 10 years after that, taking it apart & putting it back together every now & then and losing even more parts along the way. I ended up doing to the gun something like what young Vito Corleone did in Godfather 2 after he shot "Don Fanucci" except that I didn't put the pieces down people's chimneys. I took it all apart and smashed on the pieces with my trusty estwing rock hammer, which was not exactly a 9 lb sledge but really did a number on that piece of pot metal. I just threw the pieces in the garbage.

MCgunner
September 4, 2007, 04:58 PM
Only revolver I ever threw in the trash and not long after I paid 16.50 for it at Gibson's discount. We used to joke that RG stood for "real good". :D

22-rimfire
September 4, 2007, 05:00 PM
They are Real Good paper weights.

joplinsks
September 5, 2007, 01:12 AM
I see the RG snub nose pistols quite a bit in gun shops for around $100 used. They sell quick. Some folks think all cheap priced guns are smoking deals :uhoh:

Picknlittle
September 5, 2007, 12:38 PM
I have a RG model 23, .22 cal that was my father in laws. I'd never heard of RG and I have taken it to the range a few times. It's goes bang with every trigger pull and at 7yds I hold 3" groups with it. Only real complaint I have is that the grip is really small and hard to hold comfortably.

Sounds like they aren't very well regarded by most. As of now, it's the only handgun in the house. That will change soon.:)

SiknisIsInMe
September 20, 2007, 01:20 PM
OK, so my dad has always had me interested in guns. Ever since the first time I got a little cap gun as a boy, I've always wanted to own, and carry, firearms. Now, years later, as a father myself, I've gotten my CFP, and my main carry gun is my XD 9mm ported. Well, as a father son activity, we still go out and shoot. Shotguns, rifles, and apparently now hand guns. My dad gave me this little revolver he's had for 30+ years now. I actually received it yesterday. I got burned on a purchase of a Hi-Point .380 a while back, so I learned from that to always research your purchase first. Its a good habit...that carries over to me getting them as a gift as well. I read everything on here and other site's regarding the RG's last night. Afterwards, my better judgement told me not to go out and shoot that little RG snubbie .38 special. I had to shoot it at least once. WHAT IS EVERYONE TALKING ABOUT??? I loved that little gun. Once I learned how to aim it, which was maybe four shots, I hit my target every time. Spot on accurate. And out of the 100 rounds I shot I had 0 misfires. Every round fired, the first time. Am I just super lucky with this brand? Or are some of you talking about something you don't know about? I'm sure you aren't all conspiring against RG, but how can I be the only one to have a sure firing revolver from a company that so many seem to dislike?

mec
September 20, 2007, 02:26 PM
I took apart a RG 38 one time. Parts were robust appearing and the gun worked very well. I don't know if it would hold up for extensive shooting or not but there was nothing obviously wrong with it.

jimmy
September 22, 2007, 07:02 AM
Okay, this may not sound credible, but the owner of the local gun shop says it's true. He says one of his longtime customers collects RGs and has dozens of them. He knows what they are, but enjoys collecting them. Sounds kinda funny, but hey, collecting is often an end in itself .... :)

BakerFox
May 7, 2008, 04:12 AM
I just became a member today, and just wanted to say that my RG 38, which I bought for $50 w/holster, has served me very well since 95. I fire it often at "the range", and it has never misfired. It is a bit on the heavy side,and took me a few days to compensate for that. From what I have read on this forum, my "38 Sp." just may be an "abboration" to the RG line.:o I don't use "reloads" in it any more though, there a bitch to get out of the chamber!!:cuss:

theotherwaldo
May 7, 2008, 05:09 AM
The secret of getting good service out of an RG is to remember that they are built to be disposable, especially in the larger calibers. Their lockwork is properly made and dimensioned, but made of the cheapest possible materials. The guns are intended to be emergency tools, good for a few hundred rounds before disposal.

If you treat them like quality firearms you insure their failure. Don't take them apart or oil their mechanism! Oil is their enemy! Clean the bore and cylinder, wipe them down, and that's all!

I've learned how to clean these clunkers, mainly from curiosity, stubbornness, and because I was deluged in the suckers for a while. I can usually make them work, some of them are surprisingly accurate, and I've had a lot of fun with them as well.

I'd never confuse them with a real gun, though.

jimmyraythomason
May 7, 2008, 05:28 AM
My brother has the RG .22 short revolver with 1 and 7/8 inch barrel that our dad bought in the '60s from the "peddler" for $5.00. It has never failed to fire,doesn't spit lead and it hits what you point it at. I carried it on my trapline for several years to dispatch my catch. Even made a one shot kill on a medium sized bobcat(it was NOT in a trap)that surprised me! I would not buy one but money can't buy that one.

GRIZ22
May 7, 2008, 10:03 AM
Have a Rohm Industries/RG-38 in .38 "Spezial" {actually saw it printed that way many years ago on a N.I.B. model}

Spezial is Special in German where your gun obviously was made. At least the German made RGs had to withstand the proof loads as all guns have to do in Germany. No such requirement in the US. They are cheap guns but from the ones I've seen the German guns are usually better quality.

DPris
May 7, 2008, 12:30 PM
In 1970 I bought a brand new RG10 in .22 Short for $15. Later that summer it was stolen from my car & I didn't even bother to report the theft.
It did fire, but it wouldn't hit anything bigger than an old washingmachine I tested it on.
Denis

Phil DeGraves
May 7, 2008, 03:49 PM
RG = Real Garbage

"The RG guns were the original "Saturday Night Special". "

I think the Clerke First revolver predates the RG. Believe it or not, a gun that is actually WORSE than an RG.

theotherwaldo
May 7, 2008, 05:04 PM
-That's like saying VW = Very Worst, just 'cause they aren't Porsches.

Ease up, folks.

Confederate
May 7, 2008, 08:34 PM
I had a single action RG-22 cowboy gun that I bought for $65 or so back in
college. It went bang every time and was fun to shoot, but I had to tighten
the plastic grips often.

It was nickel plated and I have fond memories of it, but it was junk. I've
since moved up to a stainless Ruger Single Six because I missed it so much.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/Snap4.jpg

My RG-22.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/RugerSingle-Six_13.jpg

My Ruger.

DMZ
May 7, 2008, 11:51 PM
The only gun I purposely destroyed by taking it apart and rendering the parts unusable was a RG .38 Spl. It was given to me by my father-in-law. It took me about 12 shots to figure out that the bullets were turning end-over-end 15' out of the barrel. That is how many shots it took to hit the paper target.

Confederate
May 8, 2008, 06:51 PM
People used to say the best thing to do with an RG is to handload some very hot .38 Spc rounds, stuff them in the RG, then let it get stolen by drug dealers.

I guess that's one way to get rid of one.

Redhawk1
May 8, 2008, 07:03 PM
I have one, actually I bought 2 of them for $10.00 each. Best $20 I spent. My buddy liked one of them so much he wanted one, so I gave it to him.

Mine shoots all the time, but it is a cheaply made gun and I don't expect much out of it. I know a bunch of trappers use to carry them.

But they are not a gun I would depend my life on...lol

Kurt S.
May 9, 2008, 08:17 PM
I've had 2 of them. Circa early 1970's, I bought the tiny snubnosed one that fired .22 shorts and .22 tear gas rounds. I left it with my dad about 20years ago, he doesn't have it any more, doesn't recall what happened to it. The trigger was horrendous but it went bang with every pull.

Later in the decade I bought I bought what I think was a Model 23. It had some weird barrel length, something with an odd fraction between 3 and 4 inches. It also went bang with every 42 lb trigger pull. I carried it as a tackle box gun- by that time I had several nicer handguns. I used it to put 5 holes in the bottom of my buddy's bass boat and 1 hole in a cottonmouth that had decided to drop by. Around 1985 I was trying to clean it and took it apart and I lost some springs and other small parts from the insides. I took apart the rest of the way, and I tossed the parts into the garbage pail.

and_frank
June 2, 2008, 02:06 AM
Hey fellas, I just got a RG 38 Spl revolver model 39 from a pawn shop for next to nothing- im talking change my friends. As I saw it from afar it looked like an old Taurus. As I got closer I noticed it was not. It was an RG. Hmm? I asked the guy to see it and it looked unremarkably new. No blemishes, pitting, scratches or wear on this pistol. The only thing I saw was about three small scratches on the bottom of the varnished wooden grips. The blueing was shining and seemed to be the original from the manufacture. The only thing this revolver seem to be missing was the box. I looked over it very well and asked the man behind the counter if I was able to do a couple of tests on it to check out the function. Guy said yes, so there I was for about 10-15min or so ruling out a bad buy. Nothing seemed to be wrong with the locking mech or the timing. Firing pin hits everytime when tested with my pencil. Barrel and cylinder matched up everytime. The barrel is clean and shiny. Looked at the spacing, checked with my Credit card and everything seemed to be sound. No loose ends or rattles. I asked the guy if he knew where this revolver came from and he told me that a local police officer brought it in as a down payment trade for another weapon. Said he used it as a back-up weapon and only fired it at the range. I can see this revolver was very well taken care. So I got it. Going to wipe it down and test fire it tomorrow and Ill let yall know how it goes.

Frank
San Antonio, TX

Brian Dale
June 2, 2008, 11:13 PM
A belated Welcome to The High Road, Frank.

Good luck with your new purchase. Like a couple of previous posters in this thread, I've fired a .22cal model RG 23. It went Bang every time I pulled the trigger and it was accurate. As a range pistol, it seemed fine at the time. I don't suggest that you give it heavy usage, but I hope you'll enjoy it.

Wear your shooting glasses. :cool:

BBroadside
June 3, 2008, 12:13 AM
I was trying to find references to Saturday night specials from the first half of the 20th Century, but I couldn't actually find any. Wikipedia says the term first appeared in print in 1968 (with an earlier reference to "Saturday night pistol").

In any case, what I was thinking of was the circa 1900 Iver Johnson, Forehand & Wadsworth (http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20americaine/artisan%20d%20e%20f/a%20forehand%20and%20wadsworth%20gb.htm), Harrington & Richardson, and Hopkins & Allen top-break revolvers in .32 S&W Long who some say are the original SNSs. On the other hand, they're not really of such bad quality, on the whole, so they may not really count under the modern definition. (The alternate term, "suicide special", is even less complimentary!)

So I guess I'll have to concede that Rohms are some of the first SNSs.

mec
June 3, 2008, 12:59 AM
I remember "suicide special" from well before 1968 and my father and older family members see to have used it since the early 20th century.

NRA literature has suggested that "Saturday Night Special" is a direct spinoff from a racist term, " N-word Town, Saturday Night." Bill Jordan recalled the terms "Owlhead" and " Saturday Night Harrison" (sic) He might have ment "Harrington."
The term "Saturday Night Special caught on with the "entertainment industry" very quickly. I recall an Adam 12 episode where two kids found a revolver in a dumpster. I believe it was a Smith chief's special.
" Do you know what this is?????!!!!! This is a [COLOR="black"][COLOR="black"][I]SATURDAY NIGHT SPECIAL. This and other such episodes ( new or rerun ) clustered around the time the Congress had gun ban legislation pending. Either Teddy Kennedy's attempt to ban handguns or the California referendum to do the same.

rc135
June 3, 2008, 05:39 AM
I have their M66, a SA revolver in 22Mag (blued 4-5/8" bbl). I like it a lot. I haven't ‎had any problems at all in the 500 or so rounds I've shot. I like the looks of it - ‎except those funky plastic stocks. Although a lot of people will say Rohms are junk, in ‎my opinion, that description refers mainly to the earlier models (M10, etc,), as the later ‎M66's and M88's appear to be pretty good. I paid $125 for mine in San Diego.‎

and_frank
June 3, 2008, 07:35 PM
Here are some pics of the RG-39 I spoke about before. not bad I'd say. Still havent gone to the range yet though, I still need to get work out of the way first.:cuss: But I'll let yall know when I go and show you guys the results.

SlamFire1
June 3, 2008, 10:34 PM
My gunsmith says RG stands for
"REAL GUN"

My recollection from that era was that RG was sued out of business. I was reading in a trade magazine about product liability lawsuits, and how the loss of the RG lawsuit was very troubling.

You see the Anti's won the lawsuit (I think it was in MA) based on the RG being a "defective design". What had happened someone was shot with an RG. The pistol functioned perfectly, as expected. That was not the issue. The liberal Judge agreed the gun worked perfectly, but being a gun, it was a "defective design". Plaintiffs got the award and RG went out of business.

jackstinson
June 4, 2008, 01:23 PM
I have both an RG10 .22 Short revolver and an RG26 .25acp semi-auto pistol. Sure, they are inexpensively produced and the RG10 is kinda funny looking. Yet neither has fallen apart, failed to fire, jammed, nor spit lead from anywhere except out the muzzle. And both are surprisingly accurate at their intended range of around 5 yards. The RG10 is also a lot of fun to shoot with Colibri's in the basement.
And yes, some folks collect and regularly shoot what other folks look down on from their lofty palaces. I own and shoot a lot of the pocket gun brands which are so often derided...ah well, I enjoy it. :D
Jack

Lee Larson
September 10, 2008, 02:07 AM
Ach, All This Fuss Over Those Old Rg Revolvers! They Were All Junk, But Fun To Puttz Around With. #just Treat Them As Single-actions Rather Than Smooth Double-actions, And They Do All Right........at A Very Short Distance! At $9 Each, You Don't Get Smith & Wesson.

jwhite764
January 6, 2009, 04:45 PM
found a rg modle 14 22lr while deer hunting on public land, had been there long enough to have some surface rust. i took in apart and soaked it in penatrating oil for 24 hours, wiped it clean, put it back together and took it to the range later. it fired all 60 rds i put through it and hit surprisingly well at 25 yards (i did have to aim low) its no xd but shot consistant six inch groups with a flyer every now and then, guess i got lucky.(if i would have bought it i probably wouldn't fire at all, thats just my luck. hope it dont blow up on me but it seems solid

jhuwa
January 13, 2009, 11:04 PM
my father in law had a decent collection of firearms that i recently have been cleaning and taking care of for my wifes mom. she showed me a tool box where he kept some ammo and his cleaning kits. i opened the tool box and found four more guns. a ruger bearcat in mint condition, two burgo .22 short revolvers consecutive s/n's, and one burgo derringer style .22 lr. the Burgos fire every time. not much value from what i've read but priceless to me. fun to shoot and am interested in getting more for parts to make sure the ones i have are always in working order.

camoman33935
January 13, 2009, 11:26 PM
I've got a RG-10 .22lr that was my Papa's before he passed. Every time I pull the trigger, it goes bang. Man I love that gun.

sherman123
January 21, 2009, 12:28 AM
first revolver i ever shot and couldn't hit anything with it(mostly my fault but either way this gun was awful)

d2wing
May 31, 2009, 04:53 PM
I bought a model 85 22 single action from a guy before I knew how bad they are. I have no complaints about it. It shoots well and looks like a Ruger. It doesn't spit lead. The frame is not steel so I will not shoot it alot. It's ok as a cheap plinker but I'll be looking for a better one soon. I have not heard anything about this model anywhere.

bestseller92
May 31, 2009, 07:46 PM
RG = Real Garbage.

The Lone Haranguer
May 31, 2009, 07:59 PM
RG may be long defunct, but this thread has been resurrected three times. :neener:

CajunBass
May 31, 2009, 10:43 PM
RG may be long defunct, but this thread has been resurrected three times

You won't believe it, but I saw an RG-22 at a gun show yesterday for........are you sitting down?............... $145.00. :what: :eek: :rolleyes:

Sara Sheppard
December 8, 2010, 10:31 PM
Now I don't know what to think. I was looking at another site and everyone there claimed it was a terrible gun. Now you people are saying it's decent for a piece of crap.

Nevermind, I'll just use my own judgement.... The gun sucks!

Rail Driver
December 8, 2010, 10:34 PM
I have an RG10 I picked up for a little more than it was worth... I paid $30 (about $30 too much).

It doesn't fire double action at all, and only fires single action intermittently. I have no idea what the deal is, or even how I would go about fixing it. It's a neat little gun, but I wish it worked better than it does. If it functioned properly I'd like it a lot more.

If you enjoyed reading about "RG Revolvers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!