Oops, think I bought the wrong bullets...

PDA

WhoKnowsWho
August 8, 2004, 04:09 PM
I bought some 180 grain RNFP from the gun shop to try in my 40 S&W loads... if I set them at my normal length of 1.130 the bullet is already touching the lands and grooves of the barrel, and at 1.125 and 1.120. I tried it in three barrels (XD, Sig Pro, USP with standard barrel) and all three have that issue.

So I found the same profile bullet at National Bullet, it looks like this (http://www.nationalbullet.com/41-4.html) http://www.nationalbullet.com/images/3840.gif and says it is for the 38-40. So I guess I can't use these unless I seat them way to deep and push the pressure through the roof right?

At least I only got to 5 done. Not 5 boxes...

If you enjoyed reading about "Oops, think I bought the wrong bullets..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Car Knocker
August 8, 2004, 06:35 PM
Use less powder.

larryw
August 8, 2004, 07:40 PM
Little more info would lead to some more helpful input (but I, going to agree with and expand on what CarNocker said: use NO powder until you figure things out). What's the bullet's manufacturer and part number, diameter and length? Lead like the pic, or jacketed? What powder are you using?

WhoKnowsWho
August 8, 2004, 08:45 PM
What's the bullet's manufacturer and part number: Dunno, the shop casts it, but the lady there didn't know what mold or anything about it.

diameter and length? .401 to .402 diameter, unknown length... already took them back.

Lead like the pic, or jacketed? Lead

What powder are you using? Win 231

To drop the loaded round in the chamber, so it freely fell and didn't have to be pushed in, I had to load the bullet down to about 1.010 OAL... which is 0.085 below the Min OAL length listed in my manuals.

Vern Humphrey
August 9, 2004, 02:44 PM
Quote:
----------------------------------------
To drop the loaded round in the chamber, so it freely fell and didn't have to be pushed in, I had to load the bullet down to about 1.010 OAL... which is 0.085 below the Min OAL length listed in my manuals
----------------------------------------

You were right the first time -- that's a revolver bullet, and the profile is wrong for your .40 pistol. The problem is the bullet nose carries the full diameter too far forward. You need a rounded nose in a cast bullet.

WhoKnowsWho
August 9, 2004, 07:11 PM
You need a rounded nose in a cast bullet.

Which strangely enough, they don't carry. The other bullet profile that had carried the diameter as high as the other one also, so it wouldn't work either. I have to call their hand loader on Thursday and find out what they are doing.

"Glock KBs, never heard of them with my seated to 1.00 rounds... :confused:"

I'll report back what they say they are doing.

In the meantime, I ordered some Meister bullets since I have used them before and I know they work for sure!

If you enjoyed reading about "Oops, think I bought the wrong bullets..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!